The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 71 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Posts 1,751 to 1,775 of 2243

User Info Menu

A good old Tele Neckpickup‘s got a nickelsilver cover, one part of the vintage tone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The tele neck pickup has always been a crapshoot, and folks have been putting strat neck pickups (and many other styles as well) into teles for years.
    Don Mare's Stelly pickup addresses the concerns of players who don't want to change the classic tele look but prefer a strat neck pickup sound.
    This cover style has been around for awhile, balancing shielding with changes in magnetic fields in some way.
    I just think it looks cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-toploader_8503-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-21-2021 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The tele neck pickup has always been a crapshoot.
    Except the good ones.

User Info Menu

The tele neck pickup has always been a crapshoot
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-officialreasonablebaldeagle-small-gif

User Info Menu

Well, I did it... I joined the Tele club! It’s a G&L Tribute ASAT Bluesboy.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-cb6d4b22-8a01-4b03-8752-ac21ae61df97-jpg

This is the latest chapter in my saga that started with realizing that my Godin 5th Avenue was hurting my hand, by making my arthritis flare up with the flat fretboard radius. I traded it for an Ibanez AK95 and cash towards my new partscaster build, and I got to keep my Godin TRIC case for the Ibanez (perfect fit!). But I didn’t like the Ibanez either (I guess 12” radius was still too flat, plus it was heavier!). So I offered a straight swap for this when a guy had it listed on Facebook Marketplace. It came with an ABS hard shell case, but I’ll probably use a really nice gig bag most of the time. But this and cash for a Godin 5th Avenue is a deal I would make every time. It does need some work leveling a few high frets, and one of the nut slots is cut too low (going to do the baking soda and super glue trick first), but the neck feels fantastic and the pickups sound great through my Quilter Amp. It’s a great platform and I’ll probably mod it out.

Edited to add that the only thing I dislike so far is how BIG these frets are.These are the tallest jumbos I’ve ever played on!
    Last edited by zcostilla; 03-22-2021 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    Edited to add that the only thing I dislike so far is how BIG these frets are.These are the tallest jumbos I’ve ever played on!
    One nice thing about that MIA G&Ls is that they are all custom made from your specs. You can request vintage-size frets.

User Info Menu

Played a set for the first time in months and months last night. What did I grab to bring? The tele. If anyone is interested you can check it out here: https://fb.watch/4shRe5PPQy/

Set List:
    - quarantine blues (original)
    - On the Sunny Side of the Street
    - Blues for G (original)
    - In a Mellow Tone
    - Alone Together
    - Peace
    - Softly as in a Morning Sunrise
    - Stella by Starlight

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-87da0b31-8c9c-4b8f-925d-52f09a53810a-jpg

Meanwhile... in today’s edition of my guitar feels great, but it’s WAY too heavy!

I love the feel of the neck (even if I notice the longer 25.5” scale length), but it is just way to heavy to play standing, and even sitting for a while feels heavy, or rather, it did. So I improvised.

It’s now a good “average” weight (sorry, no scale to be exact). Next up will be deciding if I will keep it forever after building my “Zac-caster”. If so, this will have to get relic work (not my favorite) to made the forearm and belly contour I will have to add look like it belongs. Then a new neck pickup and potentiometers/cap.

the joys of spine and left shoulder injuries (and a bum knee to boot).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Played a set for the first time in months and months last night. What did I grab to bring? The tele. If anyone is interested you can check it out here: https://fb.watch/4shRe5PPQy/

Set List:
    - quarantine blues (original)
    - On the Sunny Side of the Street
    - Blues for G (original)
    - In a Mellow Tone
    - Alone Together
    - Peace
    - Softly as in a Morning Sunrise
    - Stella by Starlight
    Nice playing! Which Telecaster model did you play?

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-87da0b31-8c9c-4b8f-925d-52f09a53810a-jpg

Meanwhile... in today’s edition of my guitar feels great, but it’s WAY too heavy! I love the feel of the neck (even if I notice the longer 25.5” scale length), but it is just way to heavy to play standing, and even sitting for a while feels heavy, or rather, it did. So I improvised. It’s now a good “average” weight (sorry, no scale to be exact). ...
    You can go way past there with a router - just remove ALL the wood hidden under the pickguard.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-31-2021 at 12:34 PM.

User Info Menu

You can go way past there with a router - just remove ALL the wood hidden under the pickguard.
    Yeah .. This is an actual Fender Custom Shop model after all (based on a 1967 smugglers teles?)

User Info Menu

Oh ! A Swiss Cheese Telecaster !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Oh ! A Swiss Cheese Telecaster !
    You’d never know once the pickguard is put back on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yeah .. This is an actual Fender Custom Shop model after all (based on a 1967 smugglers teles?)

My ZacCaster will be like that. The luthier is finishing up the body and should hopefully ship it back with my neck next week. It’s not a Tele shape, but it has a Tele bridge. But I won’t desecrate this thread with a photo. I’ll start a new one for documenting my build progress.

User Info Menu

Work in progress. Light enough!
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-hansen-strat-limba-body2-jpeg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-01-2021 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Nice playing! Which Telecaster model did you play?
    Wow thanks! Appreciate you checking it out. It is a Fender CS Artisan. Here's my NGD for the specs:

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed

User Info Menu

I’d like to reach out to all the tele lovers for recommendations for a 2xP90 tele style guitar, (preferably) rosewood neck, 12” or 9.5” radius, with individual intonation and hight adjustment for all strings. The G&L Tribute ASAT special looks a possibility but the lowish price point makes me hesitate...
    anything up to 2k considered
    ideas?

User Info Menu

The Tribute ASATs are nice instruments. IIRC the electronics are USA. Great values.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The Tribute ASATs are nice instruments. IIRC the electronics are USA. Great values.
    They are almost all USA pickups. The Bluesboy neck pickup (my model) is definitely not the same. Mine is definitely lacking clarity and will get changed out if I keep it once my custom ZacCaster is done. The bridge pickup is the same ASAT Classic as the USA Model. All the MFD pickups are USA made, regardless of which guitar they’re used in. The potentiometers in the Tributes are definitely lower-grade import stuff.

The Junior II has P-90s, but the Special has MFDs that are very unique. You really ought to check the, out on YouTube, and then in person if they video piques your interest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    I’d like to reach out to all the tele lovers for recommendations for a 2xP90 tele style guitar, (preferably) rosewood neck, 12” or 9.5” radius, with individual intonation and hight adjustment for all strings. The G&L Tribute ASAT special looks a possibility but the lowish price point makes me hesitate...
    ideas?

"Lowish price point" does not mean "bad guitar!" G&L's are fine instruments!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

Indeed! The feel of this $400 guitar is far better than anything else at this price point. I’ve played $850 USA Fenders that didn’t feel this good.

That said, ALL the Tributes have REALLY TALL FRETS. If that’s a deal breaker, then it is what it is. At least er they’re well dressed. I thought I would hate it, but they’re growing on me (pun intended). Not sure that’s what I’ll use when I do the neck on my custom guitar, but they’re definitely playable.

User Info Menu

ideas?
    If you've got the cash, the MIA ASAT Specials are great (I have one -- with an ebony fretboard and a 1.75" nut) and they can be custom ordered, so you can specify options. The jumbo MFD pickups aren't exactly P90s. I'd call them P90s with a college degree -- they are more HiFi and less snarly. They work great for jazz if you are looking for clean tones.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-sm_g4-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

Quite right ! I have 2 excellent guitars at around the same price point, but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule - hence my hesitation and question.....

User Info Menu

Indeed! The feel of this $400 guitar is far better than anything else at this price point. I’ve played $850 USA Fenders that didn’t feel this good.
    That said, ALL the Tributes have REALLY TALL FRETS. If that’s a deal breaker, then it is what it is. At least er they’re well dressed. I thought I would hate it, but they’re growing on me (pun intended). Not sure that’s what I’ll use when I do the neck on my custom guitar, but they’re definitely playable.
    Really tall frets? Shame, that's not really something I get along with - after several years of classical training on the 'cello before starting to play guitar my fretting hand is more than "firm" and with higher frets that could produce intonation problems - after 50+ years of guitar I'm not likely to adapt my stype to higher frets

User Info Menu

Really tall frets? Shame, that's not really something I get along with - after several years of classical training on the 'cello before starting to play guitar my fretting hand is more than "firm" and with higher frets that could produce intonation problems - after 50+ years of guitar I'm not likely to adapt my stype to higher frets
    For MIA guitars you can choose between medium jumbo and vintage: Custom Shop Guitar Options | G&L Musical Instruments
    The frets on the Tribute imports must be different.