The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 70 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Posts 1,726 to 1,750 of 2241

User Info Menu

Tip for your tele: pickups from AliExpress!

In my DIY tele I had a $10 Alnico standard tele bridge single coil. Best pickup I ever found at such a low price! But at 5.6K it was no match for the 8.0K Lolar P90 at the neck.

So I bought an $8 ceramic blade humbucker in single coil format, again on AliExpress. It measures 7.6K, is very wel made and sounds absolutely great for an $8 pickup! Heck, if it was a $100 pickup it would still sound great! Amazing......

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I picked up my FSR MIM Tele from my tech this a.m.

A couple of years ago, I went to the guitar shop to buy a pedal. The pedal turned out to be an older version and not the current model that I’d ordered. So with the purchase money burning a hole in my pocket, I pulled this Tele down from the wall.

MIM Fender Special Run butterscotch blackguard Tele. The big deal was the control plate was reversed (not a selling point for me frankly). Maple. 9.5 radius I think. Frankly, pretty generic.

It was a good jazz Tele. The crappy ceramic pickups sounded great. I’ve never been a maple guy, but the neck felt pretty good. I had the store set it up for 0.010s.

This past week, I had my tech unreverse the control panel, and install an Earvana nut, and brass compensated saddles. My tech also leveled the frets.

It now looks, plays, and sounds like a dream. If I could only keep one guitar, this might be it.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, here is my lockdown project. It's a cheap (£90) Gear4music ash tele DIY kit. I was really curious how good this can be for that price, but it was a pleasant surprise, fret work was pretty bad (to be expected for that money) so had to level and it needed a shim for the neck, aside from that it's great, pickups are cheap but sound fine, everything fitted together nicely, it's on the heavy side but I like that (no neck dive). It comes unfinished with big headstock so it can shaped however you want. I staid the body with yellow food colouring and boiled linseed oil and the neck just boiled linseed oil. Plays great with nice low action, well worth the money if you are handy with tools and setup, much better that many Squiers I had or tried.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-apc_2298-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-apc_2299-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-apc_2300-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-apc_2302-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papaj77
    Hi everyone, here is my lockdown project. It's a cheap (£90) Gear4music ash tele DIY kit. I was really curious how good this can be for that price, but it was a pleasant surprise, fret work was pretty bad (to be expected for that money) so had to level and it needed a shim for the neck, aside from that it's great, pickups are cheap but sound fine, everything fitted together nicely, it's on the heavy side but I like that (no neck dive). It comes unfinished with big headstock so it can shaped however you want. I staid the body with yellow food colouring and boiled linseed oil and the neck just boiled linseed oil. Plays great with nice low action, well worth the money if you are handy with tools and setup, much better that many Squiers I had or tried.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-apc_2298-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-apc_2299-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-apc_2300-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-apc_2302-jpg
    Looks great! For such small money and a little labour, you get a lot of guitar so to see. Smart project, enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Looks great! For such small money and a little labour, you get a lot of guitar so to see. Smart project, enjoy it!
    Thanks, it really is a nice guitar. It’s time to build me an amp now ?

User Info Menu

Chiming in after lurking for two years... for good reason

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20210223_144537-jpg

Finally got myself a Tele! Player series, 2020. AMAZING bang/buck ratio. And yes great jazz sounds to be found on the neck pickup. Happy to join the Tele-owner crew!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi, look at my tele
    Tele especially for jazz players, semi hollow construction compound radius and "JAZZBUCKER" pickup 2,9kg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_8016-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_8023-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_8030-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's my contribution.

A 1995 Yamaha Pacifica 302S which I just sold. Amazing quality as always from Yamaha. Severely underrated instruments.

The other one is a MiM Telecaster Special from around 1993. Completely stock incl. the humbucker and the TBX tone control. Lovely axe. With the translucent finish it looks really classy. Only downsides are the weight and the flaky neck finish (which seems to be a trademark feature of 90s Fenders).

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6510-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6569-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papaj77
    I staid the body with yellow food colouring and boiled linseed oil and the neck just boiled linseed oil.
    Very pretty. It may be sacrilegious, but I've never been a fan of most "blackguards" because of the milky, semi-transparent yellow finish. I could definitely go for this variation!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Half-trick pony
    Here's my contribution.

A 1995 Yamaha Pacifica 302S which I just sold. Amazing quality as always from Yamaha. Severely underrated instruments.

The other one is a MiM Telecaster Special from around 1993. Completely stock incl. the humbucker and the TBX tone control. Lovely axe. With the translucent finish it looks really classy. Only downsides are the weight and the flaky neck finish (which seems to be a trademark feature of 90s Fenders).

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6510-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6569-jpg

User Info Menu

Not set up for jazz, but this is my second partscaster used for playing praise and worship at church. The neck is a Warmoth modern with ebony FB. Bootstrap Palo Duro pickups. Chambered body with maple cap and belly carve.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-tree-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim232777
    Very pretty. It may be sacrilegious, but I've never been a fan of most "blackguards" because of the milky, semi-transparent yellow finish. I could definitely go for this variation!
    Thanks, I really like to see and feel the wood, that’s why there are only two coats of oil on it and it feels great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Did anybody try one of these?

Salen Deluxe and Classic | .strandberg* Guitars
    I don't feel a need for a headless telecaster but I'm curious about the "endur" neck shape and the modernistic look.
    tried the “premium” (chambered) version. hard to resist, honestly - impossible’s more like it, though in the end i chose their “other” shape, and 7-string, for the active electronics. if i could have afforded, i would have next added a Salem, and put EMG T-Set pickups onto it.

neck feels like the most natural and obvious thing in the world, no need to “try” and “adjust to” for me, it just clicked like we’d been together ever since... my choice was made on tone and feel and playability, headless wasn’t a goal for me - and still isn’t, only a by-product i can live with.

User Info Menu

Damn, haven't checked this thread for a while... serious gas attack!

How about this one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter

How about this one?

Ok.... this is awesome. This is the kind of unique stuff I love seeing from their custom shop!!!

User Info Menu

How about this one?

My pants just got tight!

User Info Menu

How about this one?

Yeah, pretty sweet looking. I saw this in a guitar.com article on the 2021 Prestige series. It was a page full of guitars with list prices $10,000 and up. They gave no price for this one. Guess that doesn't mean it's free...

User Info Menu

How about this one?

I love it!

Would have been even better with an f-hole.... :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Half-trick pony;[URL="tel:1102407"
    1102407[/URL]]Here's my contribution.

A 1995 Yamaha Pacifica 302S which I just sold. Amazing quality as always from Yamaha. Severely underrated instruments

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6510-jpg
    out of interest , how much did you get
    for the 302s ?
    I’m looking out for one in red myself
    thanks

User Info Menu

I will send you a PM.

User Info Menu

Can any of you tel-evangelists tell me what the audible difference is between a stock tele played through the neck pickup and a stock (hardtail) strat through the neck pickup? Why would they sound any different? Both single coil pickups, necks are the same, body geography is slightly different but can't see how that would change the sound much.
    So why the tele love and not equal billing for strats? I would love to be enlightened. I thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom.

User Info Menu

tele neck and strat pup are 2 different designs....the tele pickup traditionally uses thin #43 wire around the bobbin...also has slightly smaller bobbin, and has the cover...strat pickups use #42 wire...and no covers...

the difference in wire changes the pickups resistance, hence the volume and tone

being a single coil pickup fan, i like both...but neither as good as the jazzmaster neck pickup!...but that's another thread...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzDaddyD
    Can any of you tel-evangelists tell me what the audible difference is between a stock tele played through the neck pickup and a stock (hardtail) strat through the neck pickup? Why would they sound any different? Both single coil pickups, necks are the same, body geography is slightly different but can't see how that would change the sound much.
    So why the tele love and not equal billing for strats? I would love to be enlightened. I thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom.
    I am pretty confident that in any real world comparision, i.e. not unter lab conditions, I would not be able to tell a difference.
    Tim Lerch did a very nice comparision between a bunch of Teles and archtops and I can't even reliably tell those apart.

User Info Menu

Most of the time, at least, the Strat sounds different than the Tele. The Strat pickup sound tends to be glassier, due to the lack of a cover which changes the magnetic field and probably also induces eddy currents in the coil, and the different gauge wire. Bill Lawrence Tele pickups come with a plastic cover rather than a metal one to eliminate the effects of the cover on the sound of the pickup. In the neck positions of my Strat and my Telecaster I have the Bill Lawrence Wilde L280 pickups; they sound virtually identical in the two instruments (more along the lines of a polite P90 than a Fender single coil). That suggests to me that the difference in sound between Strat and Tele neck pickups is the architecture of the pickup.

edit: generally speaking, I like the sound of the Tele neck pickup and not so much the sound of the Strat neck pickup, except for Hendrix.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 03-07-2021 at 01:57 PM.