The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 69 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Posts 1,701 to 1,725 of 2243
    Nice Work! Would love to hear the humbucker appearance guitar. The rick f holes are a cool idea! I used to see their hollow bodies with cats eye a long time ago. Also I think Ric once made a light show body in the sixties. Mark King the bass player with Level 42 I think has lighted neck dots. Creativity is hard to come by in big companies sometime so its very nice to see what can be done. I like Charlie Christian pups in Teles sometimes. I play a Nash lite relic with 2 Lawler med. wind Humbuckers with rosewood fingerboard. Lately I have been using 12s flatwounds tuned down a half step for my version of Ted Green who I studied with and Ed Bickert tone zone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice, @Lammie!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Nice Work! Would love to hear the humbucker appearance guitar...Lately I have been using 12s flatwounds tuned down a half step for my version of Ted Green who I studied with and Ed Bickert tone zone.
    Thanks. Last year's new year resolution was to perfect recording. It has become this year's now. When I get to it I will post the sounds of the Fralin P-92. I like it. Clear and full.

Except for the fretless, I use 12 flatwound sets with a 13 and 17 on top. All of my guitars are tuned down either a half or full step. Besides the decreased tension I just like the scale spectrum better. That said, one of rationales for these builds was to use alternate tunings more and also a slide. So who knows where I will end up with these two.

Right now I am using GHS Rollerwounds on the fretless. Kind of a cost thing I suppose. It is also vey difficult to chord on that guitar, BTW. We will see if I ever get to perfecting that.

Cool about your studying with Ted Greene. One of the first books that I acquired about 40 years ago was Chord Chemistry. It is still beyond my abilities, but there is a wealth of info in it that spurred a lot of my movement.

User Info Menu

I ended 2020 with some trading, some parts swapping, and a few minutes of re-assembly, resulting in ... the Wengecaster. I'm digging the ugly ducklings these days. And it is shaped like a tele.

MJT, Musikraft, TV Jones, Hipshot - these guys make it easy:

Last edited by Hammertone; 01-02-2021 at 11:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    ...Right now I am using GHS Rollerwounds on the fretless. Kind of a cost thing I suppose. It is also vey difficult to chord on that guitar, BTW. We will see if I ever get to perfecting that. ...
    Speaking of fretless guitar, here's something pretty and seasonal with a fretless guitar. However, no chords were injured during the recording. Not even any doublestops.

User Info Menu

Did anybody try one of these?

https://strandbergguitars.com/salen-deluxe-and-classic/
    I don't feel a need for a headless telecaster but I'm curious about the "endur" neck shape and the modernistic look.

User Info Menu

Pretty cool looking. I tried a Steinberger headless for a while. Felt like I was missing something. Couldn't bond with it and realized that headless wasn't for me. Then again I don't even use a pick so I might just be finicky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Speaking of fretless guitar, here's something pretty and seasonal with a fretless guitar. However, no chords were injured during the recording. Not even any doublestops.
    It is certainly easier to just feel notes and sometimes slide into them. Sorta trombonish.

Hats off to Coryell's harmonics. I will have to start seeing if that can be accomplished on my end.

User Info Menu

What I would love is a tele-shaped body, semi hollow, without the pickguard and big chrome hardware. All wood in front.

User Info Menu

I see coyote-1's point. It may be a little ironic my Tele partscasters all have pickguards and I am thumb/finger style player. I never use a pick. The pickguards on all my guitars stay pretty clean.

One of the things that I was looking for with my Tele partscasters was some measure of a (Parallel Universe!) Fender prototype. Sort of the standard Fender design with subtle tweaks that speak to specific functional or aesthetic aspects. The ash body was to address a neck pickup only humbucker Tele with as much variety in electronic tone control as reasonably possible using parts that a builder might find in their parts bin. The maple thinline was to address a semi-hollow weight and tone, but with a different approach to the aesthetics. It was as if someone were to say that a contemporary solid body guitar shape that could be converted to a hollow body would need an F-hole but not one with a traditional shape. Take a clue from Rickenbacker that produces guitars with, arguably, very contemporary body shapes. The fretless was just desperation.

I thought I would point out that sometimes Jack Pearson and Reggie Wooten play Fender Squire brand Strats. But often in my experience it is hard for copies to be as good of quality as originals. What ever makes the player happy I think is the main criteria if an instrument is "good" or not.

User Info Menu

Tash Neal's FrankenTele

User Info Menu

Didn't find this new thread worthy, but Ibanez has after a good deal of years without high end japanese telecasters once again released a couple. They are part of their AZ line.

There is the flagship, which is the new Josh Smith signature (not stainless steel frets)

FLATV1 | FLATV | ELECTRIC GUITARS | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

And then there is the AZS2209 (Love their names) (Stainless steel frets)

AZS2209H | AZS | ELECTRIC GUITARS | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

And the AZS2200 which has a trem

AZS2200F | AZS | ELECTRIC GUITARS | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

Dunno price wise .. maybe 2-2,5k?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Didn't find this new thread worthy, but Ibanez has after a good deal of years without high end japanese telecasters once again released a couple. They are part of their AZ line.

There is the flagship, which is the new Josh Smith signature (not stainless steel frets)

FLATV1 | FLATV | ELECTRIC GUITARS | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

And then there is the AZS2209 (Love their names) (Stainless steel frets)

AZS2209H | AZS | ELECTRIC GUITARS | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

And the AZS2200 which has a trem

AZS2200F | AZS | ELECTRIC GUITARS | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

Dunno price wise .. maybe 2-2,5k?
    Interesting.... but I am too conditioned with the traditional telecaster looks to appreciate things like the bend control plate and the body shape that looks like an inaccurate imitation.... totally irrational, I know, but still.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Interesting.... but I am too conditioned with the traditional telecaster looks to appreciate things like the bend control plate and the body shape that looks like an inaccurate imitation.... totally irrational, I know, but still.....
    According to Josh Smith the design of the control plate entails a slight optical illusion. The two knobs are placed the at the same spot they are on a regular tele, but you get the comfort of a strat style slider as an added bonus

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-7v7rarg-jpeg

User Info Menu

Do you know what model that Ibanez tele is that JC is playong in the Garana Jazz Festival video you shared? Can't seem to find any info on jt anywhere...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkmuff1n
    Do you know what model that Ibanez tele is that JC is playong in the Garana Jazz Festival video you shared? Can't seem to find any info on jt anywhere...

User Info Menu

...he gives us the details here:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callmejs
    ...he gives us the details here:

Tim Lerch has a signature model, but from Mike Lull, not Fender.

Tim Lerch TLTX Chubby Signature Model — Mike Lull Custom Guitars

User Info Menu

This is my Tele that I built from parts.

(and for good measure, the Blackguard Book, which is amazing and exquisite)

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0076-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daveyisgreat

Nice guitar. Glad you like the Blackguard Book. I edited it for my good friend Nacho. It is an exceptional book. A must have for any vintage Tele lover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Nice guitar. Glad you like the Blackguard Book. I edited it for my good friend Nacho. It is an exceptional book. A must have for any vintage Tele lover.
    That is amazing! I absolutely LOVE the Blackguard Book -- my favorite guitar book of all time. That's so incredible -- fantastic work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daveyisgreat

Lovely guitar! Well done!

User Info Menu

Bought this fully loaded no-name mahogany body last week and attached to it my spare neck original to the Yamaha 1511MS you can see on the left, which I have happily been using with this Warmoth conversion neck for quite a couple of years now. All that was required was a little shimming (using a piece of cornflake-box-style cardboard, what do you call these?) and stringing (trying D'Addario Pure Nickel 10s for a change).

The mahogany body is actually nicer than I thought it would be, both visually and soundfeelwise, given the 160 euros I spent on it. It came loaded with a Wilkinson M series humbucker in the neck and a Duncan SD-4 (Jeff Beck) in the bridge position, including a push-pull tone pot for splitting.

Never had an SD-4 before; was skeptical at first, but in a sense it seems to be growing on me. The Wilkinson M in the neck, though ceramic, is a _very_ warm-sounding humbucker that seems to give me a fabulous sound from the high E to the D strings (I mean, really), but alas lets me nasally down on the A and E strings.

Anyway, both are not a good match IMO. I think eventually, based on a few days of research now, I should going for a Duncan Jazz, i.e. SD-2, in the neck unless somone here comes up with a convincing alternative suggestion.

Anyway, I'm glad that I immediately went for this body when I saw it on ebay.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20210202_141230-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20210202_141313-jpg