The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 68 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Posts 1,676 to 1,700 of 2241

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    What identifies guitar as telecaster, IMO, is idiomatic image.
    Specifically shaped solid body and headstock, two single coil pick ups, angled bridge PU with 6 metal rods, neck PU with metal cover, "Telecaster" written on the headstock.

Variations are acceptable if guitar is Fender, "by Fender", or eventually by some other company established, or approved by Leo Fender.

Everything else are guitars more - less resembling Telecaster.
    I refer to them as "Tele-Types," or T-Types for short.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And the Tele is an ideal travel-guitar: nearly indestructible and super thin/flat in a gigbag, so it mostly fits on top of the cases and bags already in the plane’s overhead bin.

I took my American Player Thinline P90 to Lithuania to play at the Siauliai International Big Band Festival (where we played a soul show, hence the shirt Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    And the Tele is an ideal travel-guitar: nearly indestructible and super thin/flat in a gigbag, so it mostly fits on top of the cases and bags already in the plane’s overhead bin.

I took my American Player Thinline P90 to Lithuania to play at the Siauliai International Big Band Festival (where we played a soul show, hence the shirt Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed)

Frilly shirts were part of the dress code in my first "Have Guitar, Will Travel" band. We had friends who owned a bridal shop, so I had a closet full of them (and tuxes, and tails). That's Show Biz, and that's just good biz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    Non of that on my Tele.... Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed

It is interesting how much cultural references affect the perception... If i did not know anything about Fenders or Gibsons I woudl have thought: lovely guitar!

But since I know it looks like a weird hybrid)) .. not bad! and not ugly ... but definitely and noticeably - strange)))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    It is interesting how much cultural references affect the perception... If i did not know anything about Fenders or Gibsons I woudl have thought: lovely guitar!

But since I know it looks like a weird hybrid)) .. not bad! and not ugly ... but definitely and noticeably - strange)))
    But yet you can’t help but to somehow feel attracted to this strange and at the same time uncomfortably familiar looks.... you know you want one, don’t try to resist.... you want a taste of this exotic forbidden fruit... come over to the dark side!! Give in to the sweet taste of seduction.....!

User Info Menu

I was going to find a traditional tele and still planning to get one but occasionally came across this Squire and couldn't not resist.

Sorry for poor noodling... I really doTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20201204_225750-jpg not get along with the cam

User Info Menu

What's your favorite neck pickup for Teles?

- Standard single coil with alnico 2 magnet?
    - Standard single coil with alnico 5 magnet?
    - Firebird pickup (or clones)? (what's in Hot Rod tele)
    - P90?
    - Noisless single?
    - PAF?
    - Mini humbucker?
    - CC?
    etc etc.
    Maybe this should be separate poll thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Maybe this should be separate poll thread.

Indeed .. Tho between you and me .. Alnico3 pups are grossly underrated

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    Indeed .. Tho between you and me .. Alnico3 pups are grossly underrated
    There also the ceramic option but I'm guessing most would prefer alnicos for jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    There also the ceramic option but I'm guessing most would prefer Alnicos for jazz.
    I never really tried the ceramic versions, so I dunno .. I guess not.

I just had this 2011 Fender limited edition empress thinline with alnico 3 at one point. They lacked bite compared to the 2s or 5s, but lush sweet full sound .. in no way scooped.

User Info Menu

How do you string your Teles? As i wrote above I recently bought used Squier with P90 which tuned out to be a great guitar... not classic tele with singles but still has a lot of tele vibe to me.

It had 10s (I thought it was 9s first) after a day or two i change the strings to my common 12-52 (or sometimws 12-54)..
    it is fine too but I found that some particular characteristcs of articulation and tone taht I liked were almost gone with these strings...
    So I will play more like this but probably will get back to 10s (maybe i will switch 1st string to 11).

Out of curiousity I decided to check what other Tele jazz/fusion players use and I found that many use from 9s to 11s...

By the way..
    I had once a friend's strat with extremely low action and smothest setup with 7s... it felt like you do not feel anything at all as if you just slided over the neck - I liked it actually but it was sort of very modern feeling... as if you played a synth... also dynamics and articulation almost go away too.

In general I think 10s can be a good compromise to keep the characterestic tone and still have usual touch and control.

I know some Jazz Tele players put heavy strings to get traditional jazz tone... but it is another story.

User Info Menu

nvm
    Last edited by Lobomov; 12-07-2020 at 12:10 PM.

User Info Menu

How do you string your Teles?
    Very timely question.

I was charmed by a particular Tele at a music shop recently when I played it through a TM Deluxe Reverb, the same amp I have at home. The guitar was fresh from the factory with Fender 10-46 roundwound strings.

I brought the guitar home for a more in depth audition and in doing so replaced the factory strings with my usual set of 11 half rounds. To my surprise, the tone did not inspire. Huh.

Ok, let's try 11 round wounds. Nope.
    Huh.

Being disappointed, I decided to return the guitar to its original setup and bring it back to the shop. When I put on a fresh set of 10 gauge strings the magic of those single coils returned. Huh!

My reissue Nocaster and a Yamaha Tele-style sound fat and fine with 11s, but not this guitar.

More is not always better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky View Post
    Very timely question.

I was charmed by a particular Tele at a music shop recently when I played it through a TM Deluxe Reverb, the same amp I have at home. The guitar was fresh from the factory with Fender 10-46 roundwound strings.

I brought the guitar home for a more in depth audition and in doing so replaced the factory strings with my usual set of 11 half rounds. To my surprise, the tone did not inspire. Huh.

Huh.

Being disappointed, I decided to return the guitar to its original setup and bring it back to the shop. When I put on a fresh set of 10 gauge strings the magic of those single coils returned. Huh!

My reissue Nocaster and a Yamaha Tele-style sound fat and fine with 11s, but not this guitar.

Do you use 10 to 46 or 10 to 48?
    The first set seems to be more common... but just out of curiousity I mesearued the gauge of the 1st and 6th strings that was on my tele from previous owner and it was 0,010 and 0,048

User Info Menu

Do you use 10 to 46 or 10 to 48?
    The first set seems to be more common... but just out of curiousity I mesearued the gauge of the 1st and 6th strings that was on my tele from previous owner and it was 0,010 and 0,048
    Fender shipped with their own Fender 150R 10-46 strings. I think the
    standard D'Adarrio light gauge sets are similar.

User Info Menu

I usually string my Tele with T-I Swing 13s. I like the tension.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    I usually string my Tele with T-I Swing 13s. I like the tension.
    I've used TI strings in the past and they are top-notch. I like the feel of 11s on a Tele, but in
    this particular case the light gauge strings just sounded better.

User Info Menu

Very timely question.

Huh.

May I suggest, if you like the tension of a heavier set but the sound of the lighter strings, that you try lowering the pickups a tad with the heavier set? A little distance might slightly reduce the string-dampening effect of the magnetic field. On my Strats and Teles I find I get the best tone (to my ears) with the pups set just about as low as they will go. On the Strats, that was virtually flush with, or a little above, the level of the pickguard. It's a thought.

User Info Menu

Something I did this morning on my tele.

User Info Menu

I've used TI strings in the past and they are top-notch. I like the feel of 11s on a Tele, but in
    this particular case the light gauge strings just sounded better.
    I loved the TIs as well, but I was too stupid to wind them on vintage tuners. I struggled to prevent them from unwinding, almost like once I'd cut off that coloured bit at the end, even if I'd bent it first, it was game over. Never had that issue with Elixirs and hence I've stuck with them. Fantastic strings too of course!

For me 11s were the sweet spot gauge. What I love about the Tele is that it makes you earn whatever it gives you, and a string gauge that asks for a bit of effort is an appropriate pairing. But then I'm somebody who finds playing on lower gauges like playing on rubber bands, and things like my vibrato suffer especially.

User Info Menu

I use TI Flatwounds .011 - .047 mostly. I also like D'Addario NYXL, the last set I put on was .010 - .046. YMMV.

User Info Menu

Wow. First ‘Tele’ I’ve ever seen that I would want.

i see I’m years late to this thread, but that’s beautiful. How much was it? And do you have audio of it?

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    I'm diggin' my tele thinline from RAM Guitars in Chicago -- yes, it's not a "classic" tele, but it's mighty nice!

Attachment 23047

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark View Post
    Something I did this morning on my tele.

Great playing, great tone. Gimme yo‘ tabs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coyote-1 View Post
    Wow. First ‘Tele’ I’ve ever seen that I would want.

i see I’m years late to this thread, but that’s beautiful. How much was it? And do you have audio of it?
    Thanks! I bought it used, and I'm not sure what they sell for these days. It was about $2500 for a while. [No recordings, sorry!]

RAM Guitars.

User Info Menu

Dealing with the pandemic situation, I finished two project guitars this year to stay a bit sane. However, I have exhausted my space for guitars so this has to be it for a very long time.

I started out wanting a semi-hollow because I have never have had one. I figured the only thing that would work for my skill level was starting with the Tele thinline concept and I had a lot of spare parts to make it affordable.

My biggest hang up was the stock thinline F-hole shape. In general, I don't like how Fender used the conventional shape. I have seen other builders do it well, but I wanted something more contemporary looking.

My idea was to get a reasonably priced thinline body and reshape the F-hole. Hence, the mahogany top body that you see in the pics. However, working around the existing F-hole made the new shape larger than I could stomach. So I shelved it and moved on to Plan B. I found another body through Augustus Guitars. The owner, Kevin, was into helping me use more of Ric shape F-hole and he made me a new body with a flamed maple top for an extremely reasonable price. Not wanting to waste the first body I worked both of them to get what you see in the pics. Also shown is my Tele build from a few years back. All three play really well. I couldn't have gotten these anywhere, nor for anything close to what I have into them in terms of the costs for parts.

Ric-style F-hole thinline: Allparts Fat neck, Kluson locking tuners, Earvana shelf nut, Dimarzio Area T pickups, 4-way switching w/ intuitive positions. (Neck, Both Series, Both Parallel, Bridge - I don't know why more people don't utilize their 4-way switches to get these positions, but it is super simple to do.) Very light weight guitar.

Mahogany thinline: Ebay $70 fretless neck with Strat headstock reshaped to a Tele shape, Fender F locking tuners, GFS noiseless pickup. Also a very light weight guitar.

Ash solid body: Best Guitar Parts fat roasted maple/ebony neck, Hipshot locking tuners, Earvana shelf nut, Warmoth light weight (3.3 lbs.) 1-piece body, Fralin P-92 pickup, concentric volume and tone, 6-way Rothstein rotary varitone switch. Also a very light weight guitar.

Happy New Year!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-1b-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2b-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-3b-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-4b-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-5b-jpg