The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 66 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Posts 1,626 to 1,650 of 2243

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Was wondering about strings for a Tele.
    I got a Squier Affinity Tele last Christmas. I love it. It's my main guitar.
    Yeah, even the Squiers and other "knock-offs" can be pretty nice--just read this thread! You'll get as many opinions on this question as there are posters.

I play a mix of jazz, country, and some older rock, and have settled on pure nickels. Currently have D'Addario EPN115 on my Tele. They are pure nickel wound (not nickel coated steel), and for gauge run from 11 to 48; 3rd string is a plain 18. They are nice and warm through the neck pup and bright and twangy through the bridge. With the plain 3rd string, they're pretty easy to bend. Fender has a similar set in the 150 line, running 11 to 49. Both brands are marketed as "vintage" sound.

D'Addario:
    EPN115 is a medium light gauge string set for electric guitar that delivers a warm, vintage Pure Nickel strings produce the vintage guitar sound of the 1950's, an era when pure nickel wire was used to wind guitar strings. These strings produce the rich, warm tones heard in traditional blues, rock & roll, and country.
    Fender:
    Fender Original 150 Vintage Nickel strings sing with rich, mellow warmth and play with smooth comfort, ideal for you and your guitar. With full sound and little finger noise, vintage nickel delivers rich sonic warmth for your tone.
    Edit: Added the links, and just noticed the writing error in the D'Addario description. That's copied straight from the site. :-)
    Last edited by jim232777; 10-31-2020 at 07:13 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've used D'addario EJ21s (12s) on mine. Really nice. Currently have EJ22s (13s) on it. A little heavy..

User Info Menu

I like the D'Addario Pure Nickel rounds on my tele, in whatever gauge you prefer. (Lately I've been playing 10s on my solids, 11s on my archtops.)

User Info Menu

ISTR that Fender branded strings are made by D'Addario.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    I've been playing this tele exclusively for the last seven years, it's great. Most of the wear is mine.
    MJT with Lollar 52's
    The Greco ES-175 I bought last week is taking a bit of getting used to, after so many years on the tele!

Attachment 76321
    Looks gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Do you guys ever use the Tele bridge pickup for jazz? Obviously, outside of jazz, Tele's exist because of their bridge pickups. It's a shame not to use it.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 11-02-2020 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Looks gorgeous.
    The back has almost totally oxidized. It was gold when I got it heh

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-sam_7005-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Do you guys every use the Tele bridge pickup for jazz? Obviously, outside of jazz Tele's exist because of their bridge pickups. It's a shame not to use it.
    I may have posted this before:

User Info Menu

Do you guys every use the Tele bridge pickup for jazz? Obviously, outside of jazz, Tele's exist because of their bridge pickups. It's a shame not to use it.
    Occasionally. If I want a Blues sound, or something like a muted trumpet.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Do you guys ever use the Tele bridge pickup for jazz? Obviously, outside of jazz, Tele's exist because of their bridge pickups. It's a shame not to use it.
    I do on some occasions, like said previously, when looking for a trumpet-type sound, but also roll the tone down a little. Also, I spend more time utilizing both pickups than just the neck pickup.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc08930-jpg

Bought this couple of months ago. A road worn, 3.1 kg. Love it and I don't have to worry the kids will drop it/jump on it.
    Sold a 1984 japanese all rosewood telecaster and bought this to replace it. Was a great guitar but way to heavy and the prices just kept going up,
    so I was starting to get worried about scratching it since it was in mint condition. Couldn't be happier. Especially for 1/4th of the price.
    And I don't have to worry the kids will drop it/jump on it.
    Sounds great with flatwounds. I still have some pickups from a 52 reissue, might switch them just for fun but the stock ones sound fine.

User Info Menu

Certainly. You need to be careful with volume and tone when using the bridge pickup, that's part of the fun.

I rarely use both pickups for some readon, I know I should - on my G&L Tele they are wired in series. That makes for maximum hum suppression, but somehow I don't like the sound much. I'd rather have the classic Soul rhythm sound when the two are in parallel. And no, I don't even have a soldering iron.

User Info Menu

Leo Fender's Telecaster Promo

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Some of the smooth jazz players use overdriven and/or bridge pick up sounds. But the first person that comes to mind when it comes to using the bridge pick up for jazz is Robben Ford. And, as has already been mentioned, Larry Carlton.

User Info Menu

Found a 1980s Yamaha tele clone last weekend. It was hanging with the budget
    new and used offerings at my local shop. It's been ridden hard and fiddled with,
    but it plays very nicely indeed! Relatively light weight and quite inexpensive. The
    MIJ single coil neck pickup is nice and warm, the way I like 'em.

Bonus: it's got a back bevel which makes it extra comfy for those of us who never
    stand or use a strap when playing.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-ysjfront-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-ysjback-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's the perfect Tele for noodling unplugged on the sofa...

User Info Menu

Thought my fellow tele lovers might enjoy this clip on my semi hollow tele

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Was wondering about strings for a Tele.
    I have been really liking SIT strings for the past year; I use the 11-50 set currently on all my guitars, archtop and solidbody alike. They are dirt cheap, warm rather than particularly bright, last a long time.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_1366-jpg

Here are my two. After playing mostly a Strat and a Les Paul for 20+ years, I finally bought my first Tele (the blue one) in mid-2019. I regretted not doing it sooner. It's so natural to play that I honestly could have just skipped the Strat and Les Paul altogether. The blue one is a limited American Pro Tele with a Shawbucker in the neck. It's warmer and fuller than a single coil but sounds nowhere near as big as a regular humbucker.

I got the Broadcaster last week. I wanted a butterscotch Tele, and the option of a neck pickup with more bite, and figured the Broadcaster reissue was special enough for the money. I'm still adapting to it. The neck finish is slower than my nearly unfinished Tele neck. It's also a chunkier neck in general and my hands aren't the biggest. But the sound is really special and it's a beautiful guitar.

I think a Tele is the perfect Jazz guitar, especially if you want to embrace your non-Jazz influences as we all should.
    Last edited by unfunfionn; 11-25-2020 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unfunfionn
    I think a Tele is the perfect Jazz guitar, especially if you want to embrace your non-Jazz influences as we all should.
    With apologies to Douglas Adams, the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is, actually, Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unfunfionn
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_1366-jpg

Here are my two. After playing mostly a Strat and a Les Paul for 20+ years, I finally bought my first Tele (the blue one) in mid-2019. I regretted not doing it sooner. It's so natural to play that I honestly could have just skipped the Strat and Les Paul altogether. The blue one is a limited American Pro Tele with a Shawbucker in the neck. It's warmer and fuller than a single coil but sounds nowhere near as big as a regular humbucker.

I got the Broadcaster last week. I wanted a butterscotch Tele, and the option of a neck pickup with more bite, and figured the Broadcaster reissue was special enough for the money. I'm still adapting to it. The neck finish is slower than my nearly unfinished Tele neck. It's also a chunkier neck in general and my hands aren't the biggest. But the sound is really special and it's a beautiful guitar.

User Info Menu

These are mine. I devolved from the wonderful standard Fender Tele, of which I had an original '65, to these boutique takes on them. Don't misunderstand my remark. I really like these.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-whole-guitar-fret-markers-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-victor-baker-vbt-whole-guitar-jpg

For anyone who might be interested, the Sadowsky on the top is up for sale, only because I'm downsizing a rather huge guitar and banjo collection due to our downsizing moving plans and I generally follow a first in - first out rule for myself. They're both extraordinary guitars and I love 'em both. The one on the bottom is a Victor Baker VBT.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitars, Carl!

[I know what those cost, so ... can I have a job?!]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Beautiful guitars, Carl!

[I know what those cost, so ... can I have a job?!]

That's pretty cute Marc! Thanks for the compliment though. I do think they are special.

Though I'm not in the business, I do sell by lay-away if it helps you, or anyone for that matter and have done so successfully a few times. I am selling that guitar for less than 60% of the price of a new one. And it is in like-new condition. But yes, it is expensive. My full ad is in the Forum.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.