The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 64 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Posts 1,576 to 1,600 of 2241

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    super cool mr.b!...a lot of the middle position tone comes from pup height..so you can dial it in...closer...despite differences in wood and fretboards....kudos on using the old vintage tele round pickup switch caps!!

that's a great alpha-omega of teles pic ^

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    super cool mr.b!...a lot of the middle position tone comes from pup height..so you can dial it in...closer...despite differences in wood and fretboards....kudos on using the old vintage tele round pickup switch caps!!

that's a great alpha-omega of teles pic ^

cheers
    I suppose ideally the new one would be black!

Yes, height makes a huge difference...both are set pretty low, my preference. The new kid is brighter overall, which makes for a nice fat punchy middle tone.

Its cool to have two guitars again that feel similar on my lap, but inspire me to play differently...the neck widths certainly help that too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Do you have to do anything other than bolt on a 24-3/4" scale neck? Is the body/bridge assembly identical to what you'd use if you were to bolt on a 25-1/5" scale neck? I've never considered this sort of parts-caster before, but your guitar sounds so marvelous that I am now considering it..
    The Warmoth conversion necks are drop-in replacements. Simple as replacing the neck with a 25 1/2 one. I have one on my Strat which helped with jazz tone a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Little Jay,

VERY nice sounding guitar. You can hear the Gibson scale on that guitar. Gibson-scale guitars just have a different tonality, particularly on the 5th and 6th strings, than do Fender-scale guitars. It sounds great on this parts-caster, in this case.

Do you have to do anything other than bolt on a 24-3/4" scale neck? Is the body/bridge assembly identical to what you'd use if you were to bolt on a 25-1/5" scale neck? I've never considered this sort of parts-caster before, but your guitar sounds so marvelous that I am now considering it.

Thanks.
    Very pleased with this jazzy partscaster indeed. Yes I did have to make some adjustments in order to leave the bridge in its original position (since the body came with the pickup cavities already routed out). I had to find a way to let the neck sink a little deeper into the body. This picture of the guitar under construction should illustrate it:

Besides cutting off a little of the neck’s heel to create a fretboard overhang (I gambled the trussrod would not extend that far into the heel, which luckily it didn’t), I also ‘straightened’ the rounded off corners of the neck pocket, which gained another 1/2 inch or so and saved me the work of rounding off the corners of the neck to fit into the neck pocket.

Was not a great deal of work, just a Japanese hand saw and a small sharp chisel were needed. The trick is to measure again and again!

I am guessing Warwick conversion necks work the same way: with a fretboard overhang to get the neck closer to the bridge.

User Info Menu

Just came across a Victor Baker tele for sale on Reverb. Here's his demo:

[pretty sweet, and yes, pretty expensive]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    [pretty sweet, and yes, pretty expensive]
    Yes. I doubt I'd get more than a fraction of the asking price enjoyment from the guitar. But, maybe I'm cheap.

I don't get compound radius for a jazz guitar. As I understand it, the flatness up the neck is meant to support single line playing and, in particular, string bending. My own hand tells me that chordal playing is easier when the radius is between 7.25" and 10" and, since I don't bend, there's no issue with single note playing either. I guess the idea is that chord grips don't pass the 5th fret?

My tastes have changed. I played a 16" radius Martin acoustic guitar for decades before I developed an interest in solo jazz style playing. The joy in what Leo Fender created is clear to me now.

User Info Menu

Yep. I bet that few jazz guitarists play many grips in the "cowboy chord" area of the neck. Most of the chording action lies between the fourth and twelfth frets, IME.

Look at the back of neck wear on old Epiphone and Gibson acoustic archtops. There is usually heavy thumb wear from about the 4th to the 9th frets.

User Info Menu

My #1 tele is compound radius, 10" to 16."

I can tell you , I've never noticed it.

My #2 is a 7.5" radius. It should be easier to play chords involving barres i suppose, but in actuality the flatter radius on the other tele allows for lower action, so thats a wash...

It's harder to bend on #2, but that actually makes me want to bend on it more. Something satisfying about having to dig in a bit.

User Info Menu

My latest partscaster is up and running - Charcoal Frost, with a particularly nice rosewood neck. I just posted it for sale, if anyone is interested. I already have a pile of teles. Below that is one with a pine body that weighed in at @3 1/2 pounds, that I just put together for a friend. Nice light guitar.

Last edited by Hammertone; 09-23-2020 at 12:06 AM.

User Info Menu

I've switched Teles, due to my love affair for F-Holes (yes, I'm a Tele Heretic! ). This is only my 2nd MIA Tele (the I didn't like the neck I had on my American Special Telecaster 7 years ago), and has a nice, and decently hefty neck, and great sounding pickups. It cost a pretty big chunk of change, but it's been worth it for me.

Britt Daniel Telecaster Thinline

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    I don't get compound radius for a jazz guitar. As I understand it, the flatness up the neck is meant to support single line playing and, in particular, string bending. My own hand tells me that chordal playing is easier when the radius is between 7.25" and 10" and, since I don't bend, there's no issue with single note playing either. I guess the idea is that chord grips don't pass the 5th fret?
    I have Warmoth "compound" radius* necks and I find that the flatter fretboard makes cleanly playing jazz chords much easier. By "jazz" chords I mean fingertip rather than barre chords. I find the flatter neck easier for barres too, but some people find it the other way round. And playing lines high up he neck on the flatter board is also noticeably easier. I think everyone's hand is different and what works for one might not work so well for another.

*It's a misnomer IMHO. Other string instruments in the viol family have these, too, but it's a slice of a conical shape, which to me is a simpler way to explain it. Necessary because the strings spread apart from nut to bridge and the radius of the bridge has to be greater than the nut.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 08-25-2020 at 10:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Sold the CV...great tone but too much plastic coat and a lot too much weight. Back to the real thing:
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-e89b5f56-f039-4a70-8022-32b1188c021b-jpg
    4.75 lbs swamp ash and a thin Nitrocoat. My current project. 1952 type Blackguard Esquire.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-447277e5-a397-47b4-a97b-065beb886494-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,
    I am at the beginning of my journey in the world of playing guitars. Up to now, I am learning how to play using nylon string guitars and a Yamaha silent nylon.
    I would like to try also a solid body guitar and in particular, I would like a telecaster style.
    The dream would be a part-caster with 48mm wide neck, but since I never used an electric guitar I would like to start with some cheap version. I do not like the hum, so I think I have to go with Humbucker and no single coils.
    Could you suggest me the cheapest but acceptable version of telecaster style guitar? I plan to try it keep it for a while, maybe some customization, and when I have more clear ideas, Buying a more expensive one.
    Thanks in advance for your help

User Info Menu

Always love it when Archtop guys branch out into the tele world! I've never seen him without anything smaller than a 16 inch wooden box, but it sure sounds good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cri75!
    Hi everyone,
    I am at the beginning of my journey in the world of playing guitars. Up to now, I am learning how to play using nylon string guitars and a Yamaha silent nylon.
    I would like to try also a solid body guitar and in particular, I would like a telecaster style.
    The dream would be a part-caster with 48mm wide neck, but since I never used an electric guitar I would like to start with some cheap version. I do not like the hum, so I think I have to go with Humbucker and no single coils.
    Could you suggest me the cheapest but acceptable version of telecaster style guitar? I plan to try it keep it for a while, maybe some customization, and when I have more clear ideas, Buying a more expensive one.
    Thanks in advance for your help

User Info Menu

I grabbed a new Yamaha Pacifica 120S on clearance for $150 back around 2000. I still have it and it's still a great player. For it's first 10 years it was my main axe. Didn't expect it, but it played and sounded that good. It had two ceramic 12.8K humbuckers that sounded great for everything, and the neck had almost flat 13 3/4" radius.

Thought I'd give it a shoutout while I still have the memory.

User Info Menu

Cosmic G: That Yamaha Pacifica of yours looks like much more of a Tele/Strat hybrid than any of the Pacificas I've seen before? Today's Yamaha Pacifica is very much a Strat copy.

I've been tempted to buy a Pacifica once or twice - when I've watched YouTube demo videos it seems to have a genuinely good sound. I particularly liked what one reviewer said about its tone knob: that unlike many electric guitars the tone knob is has a genuine gradient to it, that each turn properly subtly changes the tone whereas lots of others you might turn with little effect until a sudden plunge from treble to bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cri75!
    The only cheap electric guitars I know with a wider neck are Big Lou guitars. No idea what they sound like I'm afraid. They do a Tele copy but it's two single-coils, not humbuckers. They do various others:
    Products - Big Lou Wide Nut Electric Guitars

At risk of derailing this thread/taking you off course, I just bought a Hartwood Novella hollowbody guitar from Gear4Music, which has a 46mm (1.75") neck and is very comfortable to play. It's a hollowbody and it sounds like a hollowbody. I wouldn't say its tone is amazing (and it was a few too many knobs for me: I like things simple) but it is very satisfying to play if you prefer a wider neck/nut width. Play jazz on it and it sounds like jazz played on a jazz instrument. And it's about as cheap as you can get for a hollowbody guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Just a reminder of how jazzy a tele can sound (ha, as if I need to remind you :-)

Nice playing! it s that a short scale? I have one for a local luthier on the way, but I don't know how the bridge-body relationship looks aesthetically

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto
    Nice playing! it s that a short scale? I have one for a local luthier on the way, but I don't know how the bridge-body relationship looks aesthetically
    Yes, 24.75” Gibson scale!

For aesthetic comparison:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Possibly an interesting new path to Eternal Damnation for those subject to such temptations:

Paranormal Cabronita Telecaster(R) Thinline | Squier Electric Guitars

Remember, the Debbel plays a Tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Milton
    Cosmic G: That Yamaha Pacifica of yours looks like much more of a Tele/Strat hybrid than any of the Pacificas I've seen before? Today's Yamaha Pacifica is very much a Strat copy.
    I'm surprised to hear you say that with a high profile player like Mike Stern using a very tele style Pacifica for many years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I'm surprised to hear you say that with a high profile player like Mike Stern using a very tele style Pacifica for many years.

Theee used to be a cheapo Pacifica, tele shaped, with two humbuckers. Hope I never get near one, temptation never sleeps.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk