The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 63 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Posts 1,551 to 1,575 of 2243

User Info Menu

Fuck yeah.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

^ kirchen was one of the first to use threaded inserts on his tele...for travel purposes only!!

great picker..since commander cody days

cheers

User Info Menu

These are my workhorses:
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_2755-jpg
    I put them together between 2013 and 2016 from kits provided by MJT Aged Finishes. Stellar customer service from their side. A friend recommended them. The teles have pretty standard features like Fender original vintage pickups, but the necks are a little wider and sport 22 frets – the white has stainless steel frets. I built the black one just for fun of doing it and for the different color – it turned out to be my favorite. The cabronita was an experiment – I play the teles more. But it's nice to have a hum-free telecaster type.
    I also have a 52 Reissue that I love everything about except the color.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_8023-1-jpeg
    And recently my wife gave me an American Standard which seems to be the best funk machine of the herd.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3078-jpg

I use the teles mainly for funk, soul and blues. With my organ trio I prefer an archtop. IF we ever get to gig again post corona ...
    Last edited by guavajelly; 02-27-2021 at 07:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Also posted on another thread here:

As previously mentioned, based on the excellent advice here, I bought a sort-of partscaster: white-blonde Classic 50's Telecaster with a Baja tele maple neck. I had Vintage Vibe CC pickups installed.

I really like how the guitar looks. The vintage white pickguard replaced a black one. The neck is ideal for me. And the pickups turned out even better than I hoped. I know Charlie Christian played an archtop. And nobody claims that CC pickups are exactly like the originals. But the sound is very much in that direction. It is thicker and fuller than with regular Tele pickups. Less of a range. But I can use the neck pickup without rolling back the tone. And I can even use the bridge pickup by itself. There is no icepick sound there. On a regular Tele, I would hardly ever use the bridge pickup alone for any type of music I play.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0878-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59 View Post
    As previously mentioned, based on the excellent advice here, I bought a sort-of partscaster: white-blonde Classic 50's Telecaster with a Baja tele maple neck. I had Vintage Vibe CC pickups installed.
    I really like how the guitar looks.
    Me too. Nice looking instrument! Who made the body?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Me too. Nice looking instrument! Who made the body?
    I should have specified: Fender Classic 50's Telecaster body with a Fender Baja tele maple neck.

User Info Menu

Carl Verheyen playing some country-fried Donna Lee at the end of this demo

User Info Menu

Joined the CV club today. „NOS“ 50‘s classic. Unplayed, new, 6 years old. Now I know why the first run (china) is so desired.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-420a97f0-b5e4-4943-a860-98d3dc270a16-jpg
    Sounds fantastic and finished like an US Tele, but on the heavy side (3,9 kg).
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-bf13c901-8a65-455a-b3f3-a3084c053e5b-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-edf1db28-51e5-45fc-b5b9-baffb3b60e52-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff View Post
    Joined the CV club today. „NOS“ 50‘s classic. Unplayed, new, 6 years old. Now I know why the first run (china) is so desired. Sounds fantastic and finished like an US Tele, but on the heavy side (3,9 kg).
    8.58 pounds - the "pine" that the Chinese use for these is a bit on the heavy side.

User Info Menu

I had one and sold it - great guitar but just too heavy for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    8.58 pounds - the "pine" that the Chinese use for these is a bit on the heavy side.
    Yup, but pine isn‘t necessarily a light wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
    I had one and sold it - great guitar but just too heavy for me.
    I‘ll have to see if I get used to. The guitar sounds really good and finish is spot on. Know what? Typical Broadcasters from the 1950‘s were also boat anchors:
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-af0084a8-a736-41fc-ba61-778071fa9e8e-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm trying to remember and I think the original CVs were lighter. Maybe they had a better choice of wood.

Since I play sitting down, it's not an issue for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    I'm trying to remember and I think the original CVs were lighter. Maybe they had a better choice of wood.

Since I play sitting down, it's not an issue for me.
    Original CVs? Mine is from 2014, chinese factory/first series.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff View Post
    Original CVs? Mine is from 2014, chinese factory/first series.
    Well, I remember members raving about them on TDPRI, and they are really critical of heavy Teles. Now I'm confused! Maybe the weights varied a far bit.

Someone could also ask on TDPRI.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Well, I remember members raving about them on TDPRI, and they are really critical of heavy Teles. Now I'm confused! Maybe the weights varied a far bit.

Someone could also ask on TDPRI.
    Most of them are in the 8.5-9 lbs league. One reason for their sophisticated tone. But really heavy indeed.

User Info Menu

I've got a Partscaster with an Allparts ash body and it weighs close to 8lbs - too heavy for me. Probably switch to PRS HB II at 6lbs.

User Info Menu

the light wood for (tele) bodies is paulownia...long used in japan for string instruments (koto) and furniture..called kiri wood or empress wood...very light, nice grain, but soft...can dent if not careful..so you must be prepared to embrace wabi sabi! hah

a tele body can weigh less than 3lbs

cheers

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=neatomic;1054525]the light wood for (tele) bodies is paulownia...long used in japan for string instruments (koto) and furniture..called kiri wood or empress wood...very light, nice grain, but soft...can dent if not careful..so you must be prepared to embrace wabi sabi! hah

a tele body can weigh less than 3lbs

cheers[/QUOTe
    I had one from Guitar Fetish and it was nice and light but real weird to sand and get a good finish - I ended up using some wood hardener on it and about 3 coats of primer before painting it red. I believe there are some east coast US lumber suppliers carrying it.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-6bc76fb8-58a9-4522-8637-7bc1d5c694e8-jpg
    My Thinline, maple top/swamp ash. Total weight: 2,8 kg (the B16 alone is about 300 grams).

User Info Menu

Just a reminder of how jazzy a tele can sound (ha, as if I need to remind you :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    Just a reminder of how jazzy a tele can sound (ha, as if I need to remind you :-)
    Nice tone, indeed. Gibson scale with flatwound strings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post

Just lovely. Thanks, Jay!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky View Post
    Nice tone, indeed. Gibson scale with flatwound strings?
    Yes Sir, you guessed it right!

User Info Menu

Little Jay,

VERY nice sounding guitar. You can hear the Gibson scale on that guitar. Gibson-scale guitars just have a different tonality, particularly on the 5th and 6th strings, than do Fender-scale guitars. It sounds great on this parts-caster, in this case.

Do you have to do anything other than bolt on a 24-3/4" scale neck? Is the body/bridge assembly identical to what you'd use if you were to bolt on a 25-1/5" scale neck? I've never considered this sort of parts-caster before, but your guitar sounds so marvelous that I am now considering it.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Brought my teles outside for a side by side comparison...verdict...theyre both awesome. Neck pickup on my old tele is fatter/darker, but the middle position on my new one is awesome. Both bridge pickups scream.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20200817_160728-jpg