The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 58 of 90 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Posts 1,426 to 1,450 of 2243

User Info Menu

I got one of my Teles out last night. I bought this about a year ago. It’s an MIM Fender FSR. Except for the B Kirchen reversed control panel, it looks like pretty much every other 52 style Tele. Butterscotch, black guard. About $800 (CDN).

One of the reasons I bought it was that it played and sounded great when I took it down from the wall at the LMS. I had it set up for .010s and the guy who did the work did an excellent job.

The pickups are cheap ceramics. Shit yes? Except they sound fine. I could go down the rabbit hole of different pickups - I have a set of brand new Fender noiseless that I can’t recall buying, as well as a neck pickup made by R Kirn - but would it make that much of a difference? Yes and no I expect. Leave well enough alone unless there’s a problem I think.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Jim, I have a set of Vintage Style Tele pickups that I swapped out of my 50’s Classic Lacquer. They sound good and would likely be an upgrade from what you have in your Squire. I also have a white single ply pickguard that came from the same guitar. I’ll throw that in. PM me if interested. The price I listed in the For Sale forum is flexible.
    Thanks, Mark, but even at a good price I have to put it on hold. Just dropped over $900 on these 2 so need to sell one or 2 guitars to finance things. Trying to do things without breaking the bank.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingJazz
    Specs; (some specs may not apply)
    Model Name: American Standard Telecaster®
    Series: American Standard Series
    Body:
    Ash on:
    (721)** Natural, **add $100.00 for Special Wood Requirements,
    Neck: Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    Thanks for that info. Do you know where that originated? I've seen similar lists for other models so it probably starts with something legit. This one I think is just for the natural finish, and lists the body wood as ash. I believe the sunburst is alder?

Interestingly, but not surprisingly, Google is finding pages with some contradicting info. Numerous pages, usually reviews, say Fender changed some things in 2008 and renamed the line from "American Series" to "American Standard" and also made some physical changes. Most places just say the pickups are like your list, "American Tele Single-Coil Pickups, Neck" (and similar for Bridge). However a couple say the pickups were changed in 2008. For example, a page on TDPRI, quoting a post from the now defunct Fender lounge says:

The 2nd Generation American Standard Tele replaced the American Series in January 2008. This is the current version with the new bridge with bent saddles instead of cast saddles, updated pickups, updated neck shape that is now 42.8mm wide, now has a glossy finish on the maple fingerboard models, updated pickups, and new finishes. With this generation the American Standard Ash tele has all the same features as the "regular" alder-bodied model but with an ash body and different finishes.
    If this is accurate, the pickups were updated, but I can't find any info on changes. Given where we're having this discussion, I'm particularly interested in how it affects ability to get a warm tone on the neck pup.

Here's another question: I've seen references to 3 color and 2 color sunburst. Mostly the difference I think is the added red in the middle, as is very visible in the picture with my Strat. Obviously the Squire is 2 colors, but what about the American Std Tele? It's got red, but it never really fades to natural--2 color or 3? I ask because according to some of those spec lists, the 2-color SB has ash. I'm kind of doubting this one is ash...

Thanks for all the help for a new Tele owner.

User Info Menu

I don't know if this has been posted before or not, but here's a nice interview with studio legend Louie Shelton playing a 52 Tele. He's an overall player and not a jazz guy per say, but he tells some great stories, and clearly he's got the chops. A fun 30 minutes down Old Telecaster Road; makes you want to get out your Tele and compare tones.

User Info Menu

I guess I can start following this thread now!
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5401-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5394-jpg

User Info Menu

Best way to stay in touch with your caveman side IMHO, Lawson.

User Info Menu

I had been eying the road worn Teles for awhile, Lawson, waiting for a good used one to come along. Eventually, I found a used 50’s Classic Tele with lacquer finish that is basically the same guitar as yours, but without the distressed effect of the road worn series. They are great guitars! Mine is also the two tone burst. I swapped a tortoise pickguard on it and replaced the pickups with a Biltoft Vintage Vibe set. I couldn’t be happier! Enjoy, and welcome to the world of Telecasters.
    Last edited by Mark M.; 04-03-2020 at 08:57 PM.

User Info Menu

It's hard I'm sure for some of you to believe, but I have play (with) guitars for 60+ years and NEVER once owned a Telecaster and only played one for about 15 minutes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    It's hard I'm sure for some of you to believe, but I have play (with) guitars for 60+ years and NEVER once owned a Telecaster and only played one for about 15 minutes.
    Nice Tele. Nice Twin Reverb.

Playing that Tele through a Twin Reverb and the entire neighborhood will know that you crossed over to the dark side.

User Info Menu

Molly Miller is incredible... here she is playing a shell pink tele!

Feel Like Makin' Love (Roberta Flack)- w/ Nicole Rowe, Sammy Miller, & Molly Miller

User Info Menu

I put this on my NGD thread and thought I'd also post there. This is "Like Someone In Love" using the Raney/Aebersold solo in lieu of my lame-o sucky improv. Wanted to edge the Fender Tone Master Twin to the point of break up but I think I fell a bit short.

Any Tele-advice is welcome!

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20200408_164041-jpg
    Sounds pretty good, maybe a little bit on the treble side of things. Got it for the humbucker but I almost miss the standard tele pickup.

Any suggestions on a good p90 for the neck?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20200408_164041-jpg
    Sounds pretty good, maybe a little bit on the treble side of things. Got it for the humbucker but I almost miss the standard tele pickup.

Any suggestions on a good p90 for the neck?
    Lollars for P90s.. Fralins for everything else.

User Info Menu

Heres my "jazz-tele". I had the local luthier build it from parts from Allparts. I wanted a super light guitar, so the body is sugarpine. It's got a roasted maple neck that i had the luthier remove the original frets from and reshape the radius from 10" to 12", and then put in medium jumbo Jeskar EVO frets. The frets feels great, and helps my nickel allergy. The pickups are an Amber Spirit of 59 humbucker in the neck and an amber blues tele bridge pickup.

It took a while to get used to the 25.5 scale length, since i have been playing gibsons for years now, but now it feel great.

Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5956-jpg 

User Info Menu

Very very nice playing.

User Info Menu

Great

i did put this under players as it deserve to be seen, mods/admin remove if need be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWD
    Heres my "jazz-tele".
    Great tone and playing. Really enjoyed that.

Noticed you position your Dynarette cushion unlike anyone else I've ever seen. Obviously works for you! I used one with an archtop but haven't with my Tele. Never thought of trying it that way.

User Info Menu

Thank you.

The Tele is quite a small guitar, so when i play sitting down the guitar gets way to low for me.
    I find using the Dynarette this way gives me the perfect hight.

Using it that way with my 335 gets the guitar too high, but with the Tele it works for me.

I have had many issues with hand/arm pain over the years, so i am very aware of ergonomics and correct posture these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    Molly Miller is incredible... here she is playing a shell pink tele!
    Love that. Great feel throughout. Molly's something---I wasn't familiar with her playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWD
    Thank you.

The Tele is quite a small guitar, so when i play sitting down the guitar gets way to low for me.
    I find using the Dynarette this way gives me the perfect hight.

Using it that way with my 335 gets the guitar too high, but with the Tele it works for me.

I have had many issues with hand/arm pain over the years, so i am very aware of ergonomics and correct posture these days.
    Thanks, Patrick. I've been having the same issue with my Tele. (I just got it Christmas, the first solid body I've played in nearly 20 years and my first Tele, period.) My issus with playing it on my right thigh is mainly with the left thumb. It's always over the neck and when I need it behind the neck, it's awkward to get it there. I noticed I was having some issues with that thumb too, so I thought a strap might help. Been messing with that today but when I saw your video I thought, "Dang, I have a Dynarette but I NEVER thought of positioning it that way!" I'll have to give it a try.

Love the sound of your guitar and your playing is very good. Hope to hear a lot more of it!

User Info Menu

A link I wish I'd never clicked on...

never even played a tele...

a slippery slope beckons

Fullerton Tele(R) Uke | Ukuleles

User Info Menu

My new "Mastery M4.2" bridge arrived 2 days ago and Good Golly Miss Molly, it makes a BIG difference !!!!
    This Tele was put together in december of 1993, I ordered the parts from Warmoth by fax .... all these years and for appr. 1500 gigs it's had a normal Fender bridge with compensated brass saddles and I finally gave in and ordered this new piece of gear - this is now a Tele on steroids. It's got more of everything : sustain, clarity, note definition, balance and a new 3-dimensional quality that is simply magical - to my ears at least. The guitar has been very resonant and musical from the get-go but this has taken it a quantum leap forward. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    My new "Mastery M4.2" bridge arrived 2 days ago and Good Golly Miss Molly, it makes a BIG difference !!!! ... this is now a Tele on steroids. It's got more of everything : sustain, clarity, note definition, balance and a new 3-dimensional quality that is simply magical - to my ears at least. The guitar has been very resonant and musical from the get-go but this has taken it a quantum leap forward. ...
    Why do you suppose that is the case? Materials? Simplified contact with the base (four points instead of six)? Linked saddles (two instead of three)? The Mastery site description is: "The M4 Tele Mastery Bridge features the same solid brass saddles as our M3, but with our unique hard chrome plating not found on any other guitar bridge. Fits guitars originally equipped with a standard (4) hole vintage footprint. With additional holes in the back for top-loading option. Includes four 18-8 stainless steel oval #6 screws."
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-mastery-m4-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

My take on this increased tone and resonance is also the choice/quality of the material, the increased pressure on the bridgeplate and the close tolerances of the whole assembly. The acoustic tone/loudness of the guitar has increased considerably.

User Info Menu

The Tele style bridge, depending in material, can affect the tone of the bridge pickup a lot through eddy currents, etc. That might account for some of the difference in tone.