The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 56 of 90 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Posts 1,376 to 1,400 of 2243

User Info Menu

No, it still sounds like a regular tele, usually just lighter body weight.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks; that's what I was hoping.

User Info Menu

Had a thinline for a while, it was actually the brightest of my teles, but that could have been pickup/pots and all that too.

User Info Menu

I'll have the treble on the amp far down already, but thank you for the warning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    I'll have the treble on the amp far down already, but thank you for the warning.
    Yeah, it certainly wasn't unmanageable.

Actually, the best trick for taming a tele is to run the guitar's volume just short of all the way up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Actually, the best trick for taming a tele is to run the guitar's volume just short of all the way up.

Completely agree. It's rare for me to have either the volume or tone pots all the way up. Usually somewhere around 60%-75% up...every guitar's sweet spot is different. But even a tiny roll down of the volume pot...anything below full-up...will tame some highs. Unless you have a treble-bleed circuit...

I love Thinlines and have had several over the years. My mahogany MIM '69RI has been a favorite for a long time.

These two came yesterday. The Fender came early in the day and I loved it so much that I was worried I would be disappointed with the G&L when it arrived. But it turns out I love them both. They're obviously very different, and they both seem to have their strengths.

The Fender just sounds like a Fender should. And I really dig the thin-skin finish. And I think it's about as light as a tele could be without neck-dive issues.

The G&L feels like a modern guitar trying to be a vintage guitar...but I mean that in a good way. The neck pickup on the G&L is incredible.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-thinline-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-asat-jpg 
    Last edited by morroben; 02-25-2020 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Ah... I'm not the only one who hears that!

I recently acquired a reissue 51 Nocaster with the old (original?) switch configuration. With the switch towards the neck, the neck pickup has a fixed warm sound. At first I though it odd, but it's growing on me! Tone control does nothing except fade between bridge and neck when the switch is closer to the bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben

Completely agree. It's rare for me to have either the volume or tone pots all the way up. Usually somewhere around 60%-75% up...every guitar's sweet spot is different. But even a tiny roll down of the volume pot...anything below full-up...will tame some highs. Unless you have a treble-bleed circuit...

I love Thinlines and have had several over the years. My mahogany MIM '69RI has been a favorite for a long time.

These two came yesterday. The Fender came early in the day and I loved it so much that I was worried I would be disappointed with the G&L when it arrived. But it turns out I love them both. They're obviously very different, and they both seem to have their strengths.

The Fender just sounds like a Fender should. And I really dig the thin-skin finish. And I think it's about as light as a tele could be without neck-dive issues.

The G&L feels like a modern guitar trying to be a vintage guitar...but I mean that in a good way. The neck pickup on the G&L is incredible.
    +1 on the G&L Special's jumbo pups. Like P-90s with a college degree.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4735-jpg

1985 MIJ Rosewood Telecaster. Terribly heavy, but a must have for any Beatles Tribute act. I have played a bit go jazz on it too.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-f2612e6d-8e56-4f9d-8a30-cb33b283c0d4-jpeg

Saw these MIJ used guitars at my local second hand shop in Tokyo the other day.

User Info Menu

Wow, you don't see three in a row that often. I read that in the mid 80s approximately 1500 were produced. There's some variation in bridge saddles (3 vs 6) tuners and other things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I'm diggin' my tele thinline from RAM Guitars in Chicago -- yes, it's not a "classic" tele, but it's mighty nice!

Attachment 23047

I generally tend to like traditional Teles best. But I really like yours. Bet it sounds killer.

User Info Menu

I just purchased a new Fender Vintera '60s Modfied Tele in Lake Placid Blue and with a pau ferro fretboard. I really was surprised at how good the pickups and electronics are. Nice, fat tone for single coil Tele pickups. The neck feels great too. I really like it. I would normally change the stock pickups to some model of Don Mares. But in this case I'll leave them stock. The stock pickups sound that good.

Just bought a new Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb amp to plug it into. Killer amp with great tone. This from a lifelong tube snob and boutique amp/guitar junkie. Me?? A SS amp fan?? NEVER!! Yeah, right. I sure am now.

Anyway, this Tele is wonderful. I was always a maple neck and fret board fan. But I really like the feel and playability of the pau ferro fretboard. I highly recommend these guitars.
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 03-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-602b233a-26c0-421e-8625-929273699d66-jpg
    Played my Thinline 6 hrs. today @ home.
    Tellys are the ultimate guitars, especially into an old Champ.

User Info Menu

Those "baby Fenders" are tone beasts.

User Info Menu

New here and a tele addict!! here's my number 1 and number 2!

User Info Menu

These are my two girls, a '96 MIJ 50th Anniversary Tele, and my '13 MIM Baja Tele. The Bajas are awesome if anyone is looking for a reasonably priced but fantastic Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    The Bajas are awesome if anyone is looking for a reasonably priced but fantastic Telecaster.

The Bajas have the best neck of any stock tele I've ever played.

When I parted together my own tele, I went for a big, soft V shaped neck, because of the Baja.

User Info Menu

The Bajas have the best neck of any stock tele I've ever played.

When I parted together my own tele, I went for a big, soft V shaped neck, because of the Baja.
    I actually had a squire baja that played so nice I put more money into it than I paid for it. I like to do it that way because you can do it over time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by friendofjaco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, she’s finally done! I haven’t owned many tele’s but this one is perfect! The Seth Lover in the neck is absolutely a gorgeous tone!

User Info Menu

Well, she’s finally done! I haven’t owned many tele’s but this one is perfect! The Seth Lover in the neck is absolutely a gorgeous tone!

Needs an Allen wrench taped to the pickguard

User Info Menu

Nice, thats a nice Micawber style!

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-38e008bb-525f-4799-acdc-d955dd68511b-jpg
    a regular US std strat fitted with Duncan 59. A set of flatwound 11s and it wont be the sound people complain about when I am playing...

User Info Menu

I dig that style! Nice combination of colours and woods. My next tele will have a humbucker.

Pool table as a workbench? How decadent! Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed

Play and enjoy it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-38e008bb-525f-4799-acdc-d955dd68511b-jpg
    a regular US std strat fitted with Duncan 59. A set of flatwound 11s and it wont be the sound people complain about when I am playing...
    Hiram Bullock would agree!