The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990
Posts 2,226 to 2,242 of 2242

User Info Menu

The Korean Telecaster TC90 has leapt to the top of my favourite fender guitar of all time; even compared to some nice vintage USA instrumenst ive tried. Though labelled a telecaster, its a bit left-field, with double cut thinline body, set neck, tune-o-matic bridge and seymour-duncan USA p90s. It's exceptionally versatile though; with the tone rolled off a bit it "out-jazzes" both my ibanez and gretsch archtops quite comfortably, whether you want a dark metheny-esque tone, or some of those mike stern fusion vibes... Hard to find (they didn't make many, and it's now discontinued) but grab it if you see one!
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20240217_2114111-jpg
    Last edited by JoeJ; 03-08-2024 at 07:02 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After playing almost nothing but hollowbodies for a couple or so years, I decided to set up my Squier Custom Telecaster. I'll also put a Fralin Pure PAF in the neck position. Lastly I am also using an Obsidian- ware solderless wiring harnesses with .047 Caps, CTS 250k pots.

All that is fine, but I got to wondering-What kind of wood does Fender use for the body?

Thanks

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kunji
    Thank you for the suggestion, I don't doubt the $1500 is good value for money, but it's still not really close to being a 'budget friendly' price.

I have some expensive gear that I gig with a lot (64 handwired deluxe reverb, yamaha sa2200) so for this I was just looking for something cheap and affordable to experiment with.

Something like the squire tele's, but I don't want them to be unplayable trash still, if I want to slap some expensive pickups on them later.

Does anyone have experience with these;
    Attachment 108394
    Squier 40th Anniv. Tele BLK, costs about €300 new. I get it might need some work done + Lollar Charlie Christian pickups will bring up the price quite a bit, but that's still a long term project, with installments, rather than dishing out $1500 right now.

Are these guitars something to work with?
    The higher end Squiers are pretty good quality. I don't think you'd be disappointed. I wasn't.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Ash and alder are thmost commionly used woods, it depends on the model and period (my TC90 is ash, I beleive). Poplar, pine, mahogany and basswood have also been used at times.

User Info Menu

Morgan Music Service - FENDER CUSTOM SHOP 1964 TELECASTER RELIC- AGED SEAFOAM GREEN

Actually the one that followed me home was fiesta red. But that pic was taken down yesterday. I'll get a pic of it here at home.

https://www.tdpri.com/data/attachmen...c610f0785f.jpg
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 02-24-2024 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I'll try to get a pic of the fiesta red '64 Tele Relic.

Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

OK, I give up. I can't get the '64 fiesta red Tele to post. I'm not techy at all. I'm at the outer limits of my computer abilities. I have the pic on my computer. I just can't get it posted.

User Info Menu

My other tele is a Mexican Palo Escrito; pretty but not, to be honest,the finest instrument. I was debating having a go to convert it to Nashville wiring for additional tonal felxibility (slight reluctance to muck about withit as the Palo Escrito tele was a limited run) , but then i saw Paranormal Custom Nashville Stratocaster® | Squier Electric Guitars (fender.com)...basically a nashville tele on a strat body. Anyone here ever tried one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradGuitar View Post
    Here is my Warmoth Tele…

Conversion Gibson Scale Neck
    Locking Tuners
    Compensated Nut
    Semi Hollow Mahogany Body
    Seymour Duncan Antiquities
    Variable Treble Bleed

Attachment 107284

A little bit of Remler…

Dang! What kinda strings you using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    … but then i saw Paranormal Custom Nashville Stratocaster® | Squier Electric Guitars (fender.com)...basically a nashville tele on a strat body. Anyone here ever tried one?
    Yes, indeed. I tried one out at a local music shop and it came home with me.

The quality of materials and the craftsmanship on the one I purchased is amazing and definitely on par with other Fender models. The neck wood is grade A, the fretwork is top notch. The body is medium weight (my guitar weighs 7lbs 8oz) and the gold finish and cream binding are impeccable.

The pickups, wiring, and hardware are Squier level. Meaning, they work fine and sound ok but, the guitar is much improved with better pickups. I replaced mine and the wiring harness and this guitar is a real gem. I play it a lot. I think a set of Fender Pure Vintage ‘64 Tele pickups or Seymour Duncan La Breas are the perfect choice for this guitar. I went with the Duncans and changed out the middle pick for a fat 50s strat pickup I had in my parts drawer. Simply put, this “Tele-fied” Strat is a super versatile sound machine. So glad they came out with this model!

I’ve had it a few months now. I play Telecasters every day and this Squire Paranormal Nashville Stratocaster consistently gets as much playtime as my other ‘higher-end” Fender Teles.

User Info Menu

I got this all-solid-wood (with a baked maple neck !) Chinese made Tele for a song and other than the non-compensated bridges nothing needed to be swapped out. It's even got locking tuners ....
    After setting it up with heavy strings and tuning down to D (D-G-C-F-A-D) I decided I wanted a humbucker up front and dropped in an old Kent Armstrong PAF style pickup from the parts-bin. WOW, holy moly, I'm floored by the deep, luscious, sustaining piano-like tone this guitar puts out now, absolutely PERFECT for the fingerstyle chord-solo playing I had in mind when I bought the guitar.
    Sound clips to follow ....
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_8943-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_8944-jpg 

User Info Menu

Nice Job! Happy New Guitar Day Did you change the saddles btw? those look like the brass Wilkinsons... How are they? Been loking for a new sat of saddles for my MIM Palo Escrito tele that has intonation problems....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Nice Job! Happy New Guitar Day Did you change the saddles btw? those look like the brass Wilkinsons... How are they? Been loking for a new sat of saddles for my MIM Palo Escrito tele that has intonation problems....
    Yes, these are the basic Wilkinson barrels, they work. At first I was unsure whether the heavy gauge strings would still intonate correctly but they do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    Yes, these are the basic Wilkinson barrels, they work. At first I was unsure whether the heavy gauge strings would still intonate correctly but they do.
    That low E position is quite something. Maybe re-use the original saddle in that spot?
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-intonation-jpg 

User Info Menu

I think you can use those saddles in different orientations. I managed to get a very sensible setup with some upside down.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sorry to combine tele and a les Paul in the same pic. Had them both out and couldn’t resist.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0117-jpg 

User Info Menu

Linc Chamberland's Tele

The guitar was on reverb.
    Fender Telecaster 1952 Natural Linc Chamberland | Reverb

Linc Chamberland playing Have You Met Miss Jones.

Wow, a very fast Jazz player.