The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 2241

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'd consider a humbucker, like the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover. Peek under the pickguard. I think MIMs are routed for neck HBs.
    Thanks BDLH.
    I've got Seth Lovers in my Hamer Monaco, great pups! I'm thinking that I'd like to stay with a tele single coil.
    Actually, I used to have a Squire CV tele and on the neck pup, it was awesome for the jazz tone I wanted from a solid body and it would compliment/augment the tones I get from my other electrics.
    As I mentioned, I have to wait until I get home and play it through my gear.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gspirro1
    I MAY want to change the neck pickup. I'll have to wait until I get home and play it through my amps. Thinking it might need a little warmer, smoother sounding pup.
    Any thoughts/recommendations?
    Yes, use the tone knob. Also, adjust the controls on the amp. And then there is the pick you use and the attack. A thick heavy pick will produce a warmer tone. If you find you have too much "spank", heavier strings and a higher action can help.

User Info Menu

I have to say, I bonded with this MIM FSR Tele almost immediately.......this was the winner. .....this one nailed it for me! .......but perfect on this guitar!

I MAY want to change the neck pickup. I'll have to wait until I get home and play it through my amps. Thinking it might need a little warmer, smoother sounding pup.
    Any thoughts/recommendations?
    Hey gspirro, congratulations on your guitar collection and on the new Tele,
    however your post was really amusing to me.
    I mean: I read all those positive comments about the new Tele, so you seem really happy but.....
    the first thing you want to do with it is changing a pickup.
    No offence intended, I just had a good laugh because of the apparent contraddiction.
    Anyway I read in another post that you probably intend to stay with the single coil.
    Of course you'll be free to do with your guitar whatever change best suits your playing style and taste.

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell

(music starts about 10min in)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Hey gspirro, congratulations on your guitar collection and on the new Tele,
    however your post was really amusing to me.
    I mean: I read all those positive comments about the new Tele, so you seem really happy but.....
    the first thing you want to do with it is changing a pickup.
    No offence intended, I just had a good laugh because of the apparent contraddiction.
    Anyway I read in another post that you probably intend to stay with the single coil.
    Of course you'll be free to do with your guitar whatever change best suits your playing style and taste.
    Hey, Jazz_175, no offense taken! I really love this Telecaster, and I agree regarding the apparent contradiction. What makes this Tele a keeper is the playability and feel of the instrument. I'm not 100% sure if the neck pup will sound "perfect" to my ear through my Henricksen and Fender amps.
    And let's face it, Telecasters are easy to mod. I'm really happy that I got one that MAY only need a different single coil pup! I definitely don't want to go to far from the look or sound that makes the Telecaster unique!

User Info Menu

Thinking about picking up a new Fender Baja Tele. Sonic Blue with Rosewood board. The whole guitar design and color looks interesting. Anyone tried these yet ?
    Dave

User Info Menu

I'm not 100% sure if the neck pup will sound "perfect" to my ear through my Henricksen and Fender amps.
    In my opinion a Telecaster plugged in a Henricksen does not produce the best tone ever....
    You loose all the sparkling highs that you usually have in a solid body with single coils.
    This is my experience, of course, others might like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    In my opinion a Telecaster plugged in a Henricksen does not produce the best tone ever....
    You loose all the sparkling highs that you usually have in a solid body with single coils.
    This is my experience, of course, others might like it.
    Well, honestly, I don't know what "perfect" sounds like until I hear it!
    But based on my experience with my other guitars through the amps I have, you're probably right Jazz_175.
    Anyway, by next weekend when I finally get back home, I'll be having fun experimenting...and getting re-aquainted with my other guitars!

User Info Menu

Since no one chimed in about the Fender Baja Classic 60's telecaster I decided to take a chance and order one of four that Sweetwater Music had in stock and since they matched Musicans Friends President sale I picked the lightest one of the bunch and hope to be able to make some cool jazz sounds on it.
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpg 
    Last edited by superdave; 02-08-2016 at 05:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh you are one lucky dude! I have played many teles at the guitar shop and I have never loved a guitar more than the 52 hot rod with that SM-1 in the neck.

User Info Menu

I shouldn't have read through the whole thread, now I want a Tele. I'm even thinking about it being the first guitar I'll have made by a local luthier - think I'm loosing my mind...
    I do not thank you for all these cool posts, pictures and vids.

User Info Menu

Attachment 28595
    My Tele style guitar with Graphtech saddles.

User Info Menu

I tried out a bunch of Teles at a music store the other day, through a Quilter Micro Pro.
    Three thinline models with the F-holes- one made in China, one in Mex. and one US.
    The Chinese one had sharp fret ends, so I put it down before I needed a tetanus shot...
    The other two were good axes, but not for what I wanted.
    Then I played their highest priced regular US model, and again, great axe, but no sale.
    The search continues...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I tried out a bunch of Teles at a music store the other day, but no sale.
    The search continues...
    take a trip downtown nyc to carmine st guitars and play a rick kelly tele...vintage nyc reclaimed wood loveliness

cheers

User Info Menu

Rick's guitars are swell if you like big necks.
    Really big necks.
    Really, really big necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I was looking for an economical replacement guitar for the one I am selling. The two below caught my eye. One the classic semi hollow tele and a modern take on a tele.

Any thoughts on the possibilities for the jazz tone with these would be appreciated.
    Wildcat, G&L Tributes are excellent value and have that Tele vibe.

I would say either of those would be a good choice.

I do struggle with the nut width on these and the few USA ones I have tried felt as narrow (but they can do wider widths for $+).

But there is one out there with your name on it, it will turn up, just be patient!

User Info Menu

Just got back from picking up my box of lego, sorry I mean Tele (grumbles)

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4966-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4967-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4968-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4969-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4970-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4971-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4972-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4973-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4974-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4975-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4976-jpg

This 2004 Melacon was NOS I mean mint not a mark on it, till I just dropped my iPhone on the lower bout and put a mark in the top

I bought it because its the best playing and sounding tele I've heard.

User Info Menu

Sweet looking! I like the insets for the neck bolts. That will make it easy to pack the Tele in an overhead bin with the neck off.

User Info Menu

Assembled by me.... amp by Tim Marcus, matching cab by Peter Mather. Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpg

User Info Menu

This Tele was put together by myself from Warmoth parts in 1993 and has seen more than 1000 gigs..... It started out with a set of orig. Joe Barden Tele pups and about 4 years ago I swapped these out for a set of DiMarzio Area pickups. The neck has the "Boatneck" shape (one inch deep at the nut) and has an outrageous birdseye/curls/burl figuring ! The fingerboard edges are rolled smooth and the frets have been dressed only once in all those years. The body is made of swamp ash and is partly hollowed out so the guitar is a real flyweight. It resonates all over and no other Tele I have played in the last 20 years has made me consider a change, it's a keeper. I've used it for straight ahead jazz gigs, on tours with musicals, it def. is the most universal guitar in my collection. Having put it together myself adds to the enjoyment :-)

User Info Menu

Hooray for boatnecks!

User Info Menu

The Bardens are great pups, extremely detailed and sensitive to EVERY nuance - I had them in this axe for about 15 years and thought it was time to try something new. The Areas are a little sweeter, more giving and still deliver all the snap, crackle and pop you'd expect from a good Tele. The guitar cops the classic Ed Bickert/Ted Greene sound and with the proper amp/pedal it can do the singing/biting Robben Ford tones as well.

User Info Menu

I've got the Area T pickups in one of my two Teles (actually a Squire Affinity) and they are fantastic pickups. gitman's description is similar to what I would offer. And they are dead quiet, zero noise. That Tele is the quietest guitar I have ever owned- I've played it standing by neon lights without a buzz to be heard.

User Info Menu

I was converted when I aquired a lovely Mexican Palo Escrito model. Its amazingly versatile and looks rather nice too. I havent totally given up on f-holes though; my '63 verithin (another great and much under-rated model) is there on the stand too !

I did have to chnge the bridge from a three saddle to 6 saddle to get the intonation correct, but for an inexpensive guitar its hard to beat.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-wp_20160313_005-jpg
    Last edited by JoeJ; 03-13-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: correction

User Info Menu

that was my 'quick and dirty' solution at the time of the build - it works and keeps the string pressure even over the nut !
    I never bothered to change anything in all those years .... same with the 'finish' : a couple of coats with linseed oil on the body, some Tru-Oil on the neck, done. I rub the neck down with really fine steel wool once every blue moon and it's smooth as can be. the neck never moved and I like the raw look and feel. Some people are very concerned about a proper shiny finish but with a guitar like this , made from quality woods and properly stored, milled and dried - nah.