The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 83 of 90 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast
Posts 2,051 to 2,075 of 2243

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I’d give my right arm to get my hands on a Tele body like your hollow body in the middle. Oh wait! I don’t need any more guitars and I think that I need my arm. Never mind.
    Check your PMs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very curious to the sound of the full hollow, without amplification and with - feedback issues? Also whether it has a plastic cover for its insides. I’m still working on building something very similar. With p90 neck and Korean Wilkinson Tele bridge pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I fell in love with a friends '59 but it was too much $$ So I built a non F hole thin line semi hollow with a quilted maple top and a swamp ash body. A chunky birdseye maple neck and a set of Texas Specials with a 4 way switch ( adds series).

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-trans-blue2-jpg

User Info Menu

I love my thinline

User Info Menu

Another great thing about Telecasters: it might the largest community of DIY mods, many parts easily available.

I've just made a few mods to make mine more jazzy:
    - flatwounds (Thomastik 11s, as I haven't found Daddarios) = no more noise when the hand is moving on the strings, but the 2 higher strings feel a little sharp to me, maybe I should try 12s
    - 4-position selector (position 3 out of 4 is both pickups in series, i.e. a la humbucker) = greater output and lows
    - put the Dimarzio bridge pickup back in, to match the TK neck pickup = more dynamic and modern than the previous Seymour Duncan '54

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-telemods-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sparadrap
    Another great thing about Telecasters: it might the largest community of DIY mods, many parts easily available.

I've just made a few mods to make mine more jazzy:
    - flatwounds (Thomastik 11s, as I haven't found Daddarios) = no more noise when the hand is moving on the strings, but the 2 higher strings feel a little sharp to me, maybe I should try 12s
    - 4-position selector (position 3 out of 4 is both pickups in series, i.e. a la humbucker) = greater output and lows
    - put the Dimarzio bridge pickup back in, to match the TK neck pickup = more dynamic and modern than the previous Seymour Duncan '54

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-telemods-jpg
    Nice! I like to replace the high E with one gauge heavier on my guitars (I buy single Pyramid strings for that). And I just ordered a 4 way switch for my Tele as well!

User Info Menu

Sorry if this has been previously posted. Interesting tele application. Not sure I care for it in comparison to other guitar choices but the playing is stellar. Fun stuff..

User Info Menu

I’ve bought a year ago or so a MIJ Telecaster 52 reissue form the early 90s. The guitar is just spectacular.

I plan to change the pickups (that are very good) for a set of CC by Lollar.

Any one has done this switch already?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Sorry if this has been previously posted. Interesting tele application. Not sure I care for it in comparison to other guitar choices but the playing is stellar. Fun stuff..

I always thought the tele can produce a nice tone for gipsy swing. After all the guitars Django et al play / played have a rather bright sound.

User Info Menu

Florian Kiehn from the New Hussle Orchestra is a great player and advertising for using a tele in jazz:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EricS75
    I’ve bought a year ago or so a MIJ Telecaster 52 reissue form the early 90s. The guitar is just spectacular.

I plan to change the pickups (that are very good) for a set of CC by Lollar.

Any one has done this switch already?
    Only 13 years ago.

Seriously, though, Tim Lerch has a lot of videos on the Lollar CC. Have a listen, and you get some great Tim Lerch playing as a bonus!

Timothy Lerch - YouTube

User Info Menu

The latest version of Ol' 78. I don't call it that because it's a '78 - I call it that because I bought the basic guitar out of a pawn shop for $78 a few years ago. Saw the Springsteen-natural body and got it in my hands - nice weight, and literally the best neck ever. Dirty, loose pots, didn't care. I could fix anything on it. I gave my wallet whiplash paying for it, took it home, got it running, enjoyed its funky mods for a bit... then took it apart to put it together like this. Made the pickguard, old DiMarzio PAF and NOS Schaller T6 pickups, reversed plate with vol-tone-3-way LP style switch and phase switch. That neck turned out to be late '80s Fender Japan. It's a hot rod, the best Tele I've ever had, and I've had a few. I run .010-.048 Curt Mangan flats with an unwound G and it does a pretty nice version of the proverbial "...it all." I can run it through the Polytone and it responds.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-ol78f-jpg
    Last edited by Scott Beckwith; 11-18-2022 at 03:01 AM.

User Info Menu

This builder took the Tele design and put his own twist to it : his name is Rainer Tausch and he has been around for almost 20 years now. This particular guitar (model 665) has a (mostly) hollow body made out of bavarian pear wood, the top is a unique piece of quilted maple and the maple for the neck (which is glued in) comes from Bosnia. To further reduce the weight and to cut some of the very high frequencies he made the trem block out of Pao Ferro. This guitar sustains unlike any hollowbody I've ever played and has wonderfully percussive attack. The pickups are custom wound humbuckers from Harry Häussel and are wired to the 5-way switch in a very clever fashion : I have the neck pup full on > neck full plus one coil from the bridge pup > both split > bridge split > bridge full. It's a light weight, resonant and very toneful instrument capable of delivering a wide variety of sounds and my guitar of choice for my Bigband, Pitband, Soul+Show gigs. And quite the looker, too .....

I forgot to mention one VERY important detail : this guitar has a longer scale length of 66,5 cm which is app. 26.18" ! Now I hardly notice this anymore when playing but it most definitely has a major
    influence on the tone and feel of the guitar. It came with a set of 0.09 strings which felt like 10's and the 10's I have on it now feel like the 11's I have on my normal Tele.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6077-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6078-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-665-dlx-2-jpg 
    Last edited by gitman; 11-20-2022 at 06:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry terrible photos. They come as a pair, separated at birth. 2014 Custom Shop Golden 50s series. They look great in the flesh. The backs look just as good.

Tele has Nocaster pickups - conforming to the controls juggling act when switching between pickups. It’s a cannon. More so than the Strat even. I bought it used with, can you believe it, a bleed capacitor fitted. Like the bridge pickup needs that!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-91038853-71fa-4037-9ede-ecdd0aa6b1d2-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-b455a23d-8f47-40a4-8135-9691f3501111-jpeg

User Info Menu

After posting the above I did wonder about the authentic grime on the Tele neck so I Googled this model and found the old dealer listing for my guitar. Turns out that grime has been added by a previous owner! It is now a little cleaner.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2aef9854-b401-417d-a529-815dabff3903-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-d846c7f1-186a-4ef6-9697-1ecc279081c4-jpeg

User Info Menu

Just wanted to share with you my new Whitfill T-style guitar. Picked this up on Wednesday before Thanksgiving from Charles Whitfill himself. Made the trek to his shop (which isn't too far from where I live) and brought it home. I've been fortunate enough to get to know Charles a little bit over the past 6 or 7 years. He's originally from my hometown and I have been able to be his guest at NAMM 4 or 5 times. Ever since I first laid hands on one of his guitars I've wanted one, but it just never has worked out financially where I could get one. Well, things HAVE worked out recently and I spoke to him last Spring about procuring a guitar and he was mast gracious in listening to what I wanted and what I was after. To say that I'm satisfied with the guitar would be an understatement. It truly is a spectacular instrument. I will never be able to afford a vintage Tele, but that's quite alright as this guitar seems to sit right up there in terms of feel, tone, and aesthetics. I have had the opportunity to play various vintage Tele's over the years, and yes they are great and I would love to have one, but I can't put a second mortgage on the house just to own one.

This particular guitar is based on a '59/'60 Tele (aside from the toggle switch knob and the 3-play, 5 screw pickguard) in "Trans-white" with a rosewood board and with a very light relic. The weight is right around 6.5 lbs. The neck feels spectacular and it's nicely worn and broken in. The pickups are incredible too. That neck pickup is so warm and round and I can really get some mellow jazz tones out of it.

Of course I am a bit biased when it comes to Whitfill's, but I do really think they are great guitars.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Cheers,
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-mywhitfill2-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-mywhitfill1-jpg 

User Info Menu

I picked up a Squier CV Tele '52 (MIK) to see if I wanted to get back into playing jazz guitar, as I'm mainly a bassist. Within a couple of days I knew I did so added an Ibanez LGB30 which is great now the fractured tailpiece has been sorted. Given the Squier was an experiment I thought I would move it on and upgrade to a better Tele, so ordered a Fender Player Tele FSR with Nocaster pups and a roasted maple board. It was terrible - lousy fretwork and no QC - so back that went, and the Squier is now in the workshop getting a proper set-up and fret dress. The whole experience made me appreciate how good these CVs are - honestly it knocked spots off the Fender.

I'm sure that's no news to most on this forum, but thought I'd share in case anyone else is in the same position starting out, and wondering about a Squier CV. Mine only cost £200, absolute bargain, and sounds sweet on the front pup with Thomastik 11's.
    Last edited by edpirie; 01-04-2023 at 03:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Russel Malone playing a telecaster with the Ron Carter Quartet. Great listen!

User Info Menu

I find the neck pickup is the secret for jazz playing with a tele style guitar. I've got one. Oddly, my strat seems to sound more "jazz" but part of it is what amp are you using and what settings are you using? Some beautiful guitars in this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    Russel Malone playing a telecaster with the Ron Carter Quartet. Great listen!

Sounds great!

(Jeez, those music stands look so ugly and really spoil the view….. )

User Info Menu

It's all your fault guys and gals, thank you very much! I sold many telecasters at Manny's Music from 1972-74. I was (and am) a keyboardist and acoustic guitar player so never owned one. Now that I'm going all in on guitar I've been thinking of getting one and this thread had much to do with that. I was at Amplified Nation near Boston Monday looking at their incredible amps and bought one for my recording studio and my great enjoyment. Taylor Cox, the genius behind the amps and great dude had several telecasters hanging around and I played a few and got this. Before anyone jumps at the Custom Shop nature (this actually has 2 custom features. The volume/tone knobs and pickup switch are reversed to make it easier to get to the knobs and the bridge pickup tilts opposite than usual direction. It does sound great) not only did I have no intention of shopping for one I didn't even know they existed. It just won me over and at his used price wasn't too crazy. It's a reissue "aged" guitar and frankly the aged part turns me off but again it's a great axe. When I got it home and read the construction sheet that comes with it I discovered it reps a 1952, the year I was born. Fate attack.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0187-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow that blue sparkle one is cool!

Here's my partscaster tle:

Various conglomeration of miscellaneous parts by various parts providers. Sounds better than it should and plays pretty well. I wanted a fancier tele than the usual but offerings from "Big F" are expensive and I figured since it was my first tele I could also use it to learn to work on guitars better than I currently do. Pretty versatile.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9041-jpeg 
    Last edited by aliensporebomb; 03-09-2023 at 11:35 AM.

User Info Menu

thanks Alien- Blue is my color, another bit of the "fateful" connection. Looks like you did a great job making that Tele!

User Info Menu

Felt the need for another one of these - I built a couple before and ended up selling them. This one is made out of Pauwlonia and real light; neck is an old AllParts that I had sitting around; pickups are (I think a combination of Bill Lawrence and DiMarzio - maybe); Strat tailpiece is $26 Chinese (pretty good quality); controls are $16 Amazon/Chinese. All in all came it came out pretty good for a budget project. I'll probably end up nickel plating the brass pickup mount..or maybe not.....looks funky but OK. Action is great and it sounds good so it should be OK to surf with.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-surf_tele-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi all. I have a lefty Player Telecaster. Nothing fancy but I'm looking for a lefty ashtray bridge with brass compensated saddles preferably purchased in the EU.

I'm having trouble finding these so my question is that since I only use my neck pup, Lollar CC, would it work if I put a right-handed combo of bridge and saddles on?