Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast
Posts 1,851 to 1,875 of 1890

User Info Menu

I tell you what, I would LOVE to try one of Ron Kirn's Barncasters made out of that 150 year old pine. But for those looking for a 50's style tele without paying 50's money the MIM Baja line was superb. Designed by the Custom Shop as a cheaper '52, and they are great sounding and playing totally stock.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can try a G&L Tele thinline (bluesboy hollowbody).
    Is anyone familiar with this model? Is it any good? What would
    be a realistic price secondhand in Europe?

User Info Menu

I have a G&L solidbody Asat Tribute and I like it a lot (meaning that I don’t play anything else). Do try the Bluesboy out. I had a hard time deciding between the two. In the end I preferred the single coil in the neck position.

400€ should be acceptable, if it is in good shape.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I have a Tribute Bluesboy (not a thinline) and the neck pickup is rather dark. It will work for jazz but it didn’t suit me. I replaced it with a Vintage Vibes P-90 (humbucker sized) and reversed the control plate. The neck is great on it! It was still heavy to me, especially with a basswood body. But I drilled out and chiseled away under the pickguard to lighten it up. You can’t tell while the pickguard is on.

I’d spend up to $400 American for a used thinline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm not familiar with a full hollowbody Bluesboy, however, I owned a semi-hollow model back when they first came out. Loved the tones, but it was a bit neck-heavy due to the lightness of its body. The neck pickup was good, but not great. Sold it. Then I missed it.

About 9 years ago I bought a solid body Korina Bluesboy with a Seth Lover in the neck. It sounded great, but I could never get the neck and bridge pickup balanced properly. The Seth was replaced with a Phat Cat, and it's still in there to this day. Great jazz tones and it balanced well with the G&L bridge pickup. A photo of the guitar is somewhere in this monster thread.

my new Telecaster, a Rick Kelly Drophorn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I'm not familiar with a full hollowbody Bluesboy, however, I owned a semi-hollow model back when they first came out. Loved the tones, but it was a bit neck-heavy due to the lightness of its body. The neck pickup was good, but not great. Sold it. Then I missed it.
    Oh, are there two versions? A semi and full hollowbody? I assumened they were all sort of semi hollowbody?

User Info Menu

Oh, are there two versions? A semi and full hollowbody? I assumened they were all sort of semi hollowbody?
    I think you’re right. Just as there is no fully hollow Fender Tele AFAIK.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    my new Telecaster, a Rick Kelly Drophorn.
    I do love Rick's guitars. It's nice to see one without all the knots. What's the body wood for the neck and body? What flavour of massive neck?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I do love Rick's guitars. It's nice to see one without all the knots. What's the body wood for the neck and body? What flavour of massive neck?

same here, the knots are not my thing.

not sure, if you want to see the rear-side then, with the mother of all knots and some questionable workmanship where the neckplate is at.

it is a pine body from Chumley's bar and the super-sized neck is made from Padouk.

it is my 5th "Fender-like" boutique guitar is the best one by far - it is a great instrument.

( I will come up with some more pics later in the day ... )

User Info Menu

Has the Fender 2021 Chris Fleming Masterbuilt Prestige Jazz Telecaster already been posted here?

User Info Menu

That looks like a fine (and expensive) instrument, but to me that's not really a Telecaster.

User Info Menu

it is a pine body from Chumley's bar and the super-sized neck is made from Padouk.

( I will come up with some more pics later in the day ... )
    Could you say a few words about the super sized neck, too?

here are the promised pics, the mother of all knots, not for everyone.

the customs guy really liked it ...

the guitar is too bright in the pics, only pics #4, 5 and 6 capture the real color somewhat better.

and check these pics from the neck-plate area, not for everyone as well ...

if you look down from the players position, you'll see glue-remains besides the binding ...

all in all, the guitar is beyond beautiful and sounds magical.

it is true.

the transparent red tortoise pick-guard has been underlayed with a sheet of golden foil,

the guitar seems to glow inside, whenever light falls onto it.

the faded sonic blue paint is very thin, that the grain from the pine shows through.

it is way beautiful.

way cool, like the city it has been born in, like the people, who made it.

Last edited by Filmosound 621; 06-15-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Could you say a few words about the super sized neck, too?

this neck, while sized beyond huge, isn't as large as his regular necks, I believe.

this Padouk neck has got a trussrod, unlike his regular pine necks, of which have none.

this neck is a very thick D, it felt weird at first, feels better by the hour.

but the neck itself is very very slick, my thumb slipped off the neck a couple of times now,

while playing in a classical position.

I need to get adjusted to it.

the guitar sounds bigger than the LSL bad bone, that I had before. The tones are richer.

I believe, the neck plays a part in that. As does the body, you can feel fine vibrations throughout the instrument while playing.

it has great sustain and can do everything from sweet to mean by the change of attack alone.

this is honey moon, got the guitar since friday ... it took 5 weeks to get here ... almost lost all interest in between ...

over the moon now.

it is bigger, than it appears in the pics, of which are from the sales add.

I "measured" a thickness of one inch from the first to the 12th. fret.

while playing, the neck feels and looks like a steering pin from a little sailboat ...

it resonates and sounds like a long marimba bar. The tones have a special quality to them.

there is a warmoth comparison video for maple and padouk necks ... they say they are similar, I do not believe it ...

I have not seen a maple marimba yet ...

Last edited by Filmosound 621; 06-15-2021 at 04:38 PM.

and the styling is so unique ... or so I thought ... pine body, blue top,

tortoise binding and pickguard ...

just like this new Scheckter ...

User Info Menu

this neck, while sized beyond huge, isn't as large as his regular necks, I believe.

this Padouk neck has got a trussrod, unlike his regular pine necks, of which have none.

this neck is a very thick D, it felt weird at first, feels better by the hour.

but the neck itself is very very slick, my thumb slipped off the neck a couple of times now,

while playing in a classical position.

I need to get adjusted to it.

the guitar sounds bigger than the LSL bad bone, that I had before. The tones are richer.

I believe, the neck plays a part in that. As does the body, you can feel fine vibrations throughout the instrument while playing.

it has great sustain and can do everything from sweet to mean by the change of attack alone.

this is honey moon, got the guitar since friday ... it took 5 weeks to get here ... almost lost all interest in between ...

over the moon now.

it is bigger, than it appears in the pics, of which are from the sales add.

I "measured" a thickness of one inch from the first to the 12th. fret.

while playing, the neck feels and looks like a steering pin from a little sailboat ...

it resonates and sounds like a long marimba bar. The tones have a special quality to them.

there is a warmoth comparison video for maple and padouk necks ... they say they are similar, I do not believe it ...

I have not seen a maple marimba yet ...

Congrats, very interesting instrument!
    There is a magical tonal correlation between a fat neck and a lightweight body on Tellys: to me the best you can get.

I love the 1“ fat U on my Thinline. Roasted maple, oilfinish. The best neck I‘ve ever played.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-5792428a-9cdf-42bb-8830-734aa66e01dc-jpeg

You‘ll get used to the fat profile for sure!

User Info Menu

Hooray for Rick Kelly!

User Info Menu

and the styling is so unique ... or so I thought ... pine body, blue top,

tortoise binding and pickguard ...

just like this new Scheckter ...

Do you know anything else that Schecter? IS it a Custom Shop model, or does it have a model name? Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

I've never seen a padauk marimba bar, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertito
    I've never seen a padauk marimba bar, either.
    the more expensive ones got rosewood, still.

the more affordable ones are made from Padouk, all of them.

like this i.e.:

Adams MSPVJ 30 Solist Junior Marimba – Musikhaus Thomann

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Do you know anything else that Schecter? IS it a Custom Shop model, or does it have a model name? Thanks in advance!
    sorry, I do not know anything about the guitar, but:

Schecter Progauge PS-PT. About $1,100

Schecter PS-PT Progauge - Album on Imgur

User Info Menu

sorry, I do not know anything about the guitar, but:

Schecter Progauge PS-PT. About $1,100

Schecter PS-PT Progauge - Album on Imgur

That's a huge help actually (to know they are Japanese in origin), thank you very much!

User Info Menu

Not only is this Tele great for blues and jazz, it is also wonderful for soups and stews

Amazon.ca Something Went Wrong / Quelque chose s'est mal passe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Not only is this Tele great for blues and jazz, it is also wonderful for soups and stews

Amazon.ca Something Went Wrong / Quelque chose s'est mal passe
    cool, always wanted to play the spoons.