The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Posts 1,301 to 1,325 of 2243

User Info Menu

I love my tele! But it’s too heavy...like 9+lbs heavy! So I’m in transition right now. Can’t wait to get it all put together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

So many different Telecasters!

Since I started my Telecaster exploration earlier this year, I've had 5 different instruments pass through my hands. To my surprise, the one that has endured is not the guitar I would have chosen by looking at the spec sheet.

As a lifelong acoustic fingerstyle player I have favored a full neck profile, 16" radius fretboard, 1.75" nut and wide spacing at the saddle. Trying to find what suits my hands and ears in the Tele world has thus far landed me on a guitar with a relatively thin profile, 7.25" radius and a 1.65" nut. And "vintage frets", according the specs, which I take to mean not wide and not tall. Something about this combination makes the guitar an effortless playing experience for the fretting hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    So many different Telecasters!

Since I started my Telecaster exploration earlier this year, I've had 5 different instruments pass through my hands. To my surprise, the one that has endured is not the guitar I would have chosen by looking at the spec sheet.

As a lifelong acoustic fingerstyle player I have favored a full neck profile, 16" radius fretboard, 1.75" nut and wide spacing at the saddle. Trying to find what suits my hands and ears in the Tele world has thus far landed me on a guitar with a relatively thin profile, 7.25" radius and a 1.65" nut. And "vintage frets", according the specs, which I take to mean not wide and not tall. Something about this combination makes the guitar an effortless playing experience for the fretting hand.
    It's great that the spec is working for you! Two other cool things about Teles are that (1) the neck is bolt-on, so it's not difficult to switch necks and (2) there are a number of custom guitar builders like Warmoth who will make a neck to your specs, for example with a 16" radius and a 1.75" nut.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    It's great that the spec is working for you! Two other cool things about Teles are that (1) the neck is bolt-on, so it's not difficult to switch necks and (2) there are a number of custom guitar builders like Warmoth who will make a neck to your specs, for example with a 16" radius and a 1.75" nut.
    Another rabbit hole!

Yes, I've thought about going that route but it seems like one could burn through several hundred dollars experimenting. Since there so many varieties of Teles out there I think I'll keep casting my line in periodically and see what swims by at my local shop. Used inventory changes quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Another rabbit hole!

Yes, I've thought about going that route but it seems like one could burn through several hundred dollars experimenting. Since there so many varieties of Teles out there I think I'll keep casting my line in periodically and see what swims by at my local shop. Used inventory changes quickly.
    Have you ever seen a Fender Tele neck with those specs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Have you ever seen a Fender Tele neck with those specs?
    Haven't checked. But to be clear, I've learned that I don't need those specs.

User Info Menu

NGD: Just back from getting plek’d, a Warmoth Tele with a well-oiled raw canary neck.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-a44493c0-b6fe-40c8-a23a-2fa5a14d7026-jpegTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-31230949-2028-4a70-8459-dc556e53bce5-jpeg

User Info Menu

The Lollar CC install is complete. The sound is amazing! It’s got the Tim Lerch tone in spades. Now, if I just had his chops.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fb88cdff-3dc0-4253-8e7b-e9a018ed7264-jpg

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_1500-jpg

I got a Squier Affinity Telecaster for Christmas. (There's a NGD video should anyone be interested.)

I love it. First solidbody I've played in decades. Never had a Tele before; played a Strat for years in my youth.

First thing I noticed is that the picks I've been using (Fender Mediums) seem too big. (I was playing with the shoulder of the pick on my archtop with flatwounds.) I do more hybrid picking on the Tele and the Mediums make contact with other strings at times I don't intend. (This wasn't a problem on the Artcore as the strings were heavier and, well, deader, so they didn't sound when this happened, or at least not enough to concern me.)

I have some Jazz IIIs which are nice in terms of size but maybe a bit heavy for the light-gauge strings on the Tele.

Maybe it's time to try teardrops again.

Or a thumb pick. Great for hybrid picking, of course, but I struggle with those when playing anything beyond "Sixteen Tons" and "Susie-Q" (Might need to work on that more independent of which pick to use with the Tele.)

And who knows, the Mediums may work out fine once I get used to them with the Tele.

But I thought I'd ask the Tele afficianados for advice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I've learned to hybrid pick with the the thick dunlop delfrins I normally prefer in order to not having an arsenal of picks on me .. But if I have to choose a pick for hybrid picks the jazz iii's are my first choice. I play with 9s and don't agree with your light gauge considerations. In my opinion they are great with slinky strings

Give it a couple of weeks and see if your issues don't magically disappear as your fingers adjust
    Thanks, Lobomov. You're likely right. I'm still ham-handed from playing flatwounds with higher action. I'll adjust! I do have Jazz IIIs handy. When I used them years ago, I laid them along the top side of my index finger, but I quit that because I was getting too much (unwanted) contact with my finger. Now I'm trying to figure out how best to grip them.

I'll figure something out, I'm sure! ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Or a thumb pick. Great for hybrid picking, of course, but I struggle with those when playing anything beyond "Sixteen Tons" and "Susie-Q" (Might need to work on that more independent of which pick to use with the Tele.)
    Might want to look into "The Sharktooth" thumbpick. It is great crossover pick. You can even customize it with your own pick choice.

I use mine differently since my post-surgical ulnar nerve insult last year (I can't grip a pick strong enough and my thumb has little movement) - I slide it on my index finger and shove a flat pick into it. Then I can pick with my index finger pointing out, floppy wrist locked to radius side, and picking motion comes from the elbow. It has taken about 9 months to adapt but my accuracy and speed are picking up. Ted

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fullsizeoutput_db7-jpeg

Normally you would wear it like this...

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fullsizeoutput_dbd-jpeg

User Info Menu

Jazz IIs are great picks for jazz. I find the black ones are best. I've also had very good luck with the Dunlop Jazztone 205s and 206s. If I were limited to one pick in the world it would be the Fender oval extra thick. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

How would a Tele sound/play with a 24.75” scale neck?

User Info Menu

Not much to say...
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-b07530a9-3b13-4dee-8f4e-4d3b7bd829e5-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Been photoshopped. The Messiah reversed his control panel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wolf
    Not much to say...
    Cool, Kenny Loggins!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    How would a Tele sound/play with a 24.75” scale neck?
    Like this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    whole new thread to come- Benson picking on a Tele!
    I love Cecil's playing...and look at that BIG FAT TELE NECK!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wolf
    Not much to say...

Tele? Checks out!

User Info Menu

I was just being flippant. I thought someone would check RB though and see that he had the controls the right way around. He came about as close to being THE man on the Telecaster as one could get.

User Info Menu

How often do you guys change strings on a Tele (that you play as your main guitar?) I was playing flatwounds on my Artcore and they would last over a year. But it's not going to be that way with steel strings on a Tele where I do more bending, sliding, etc.

Every 2 weeks?

User Info Menu

I have ss frets on mine. The strings still last a long time, but I only play that particular guitar 5-6 hours a week. I rotate my guitars a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    How often do you guys change strings on a Tele
    I play my Tele every day, sometimes only for 30 min before work. Bearing in mind that 1) I play fingerstyle with a light touch on the fretting hand, 2) the neck has small, "vintage style" frets, 3) no bending and 4) I like the sound of "broken in" strings... I put the current set of D'addario 11 half-rounds on there over a month ago and have no inclination to change them yet.