Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 250 of 1700

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I've read it in articles about Leo and being I came up in the 60's and Fenders were way less expensive than Gibson's. A Telecaster when I was starting out was $219.
    Right, but obviously that is a vastly different amount in today's dollars. This inflation calculator puts it at $1,749.

Calculate the value of $300 in 1960 - Inflation on 300 dollars - DollarTimes.com

I just think that people assume they were cheaper than they actually were...of course, Leo was manufacturing with different ideas. The original idea was that when the frets wore out, you would just buy a whole new neck and bolt it on!

Billy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billyguitar View Post
    Right, but obviously that is a vastly different amount in today's dollars. This inflation calculator puts it at $1,749.

Calculate the value of $300 in 1960 - Inflation on 300 dollars - DollarTimes.com

I just think that people assume they were cheaper than they actually were...of course, Leo was manufacturing with different ideas. The original idea was that when the frets wore out, you would just buy a whole new neck and bolt it on!

Billy
    It was inexpensive for the time that is the point. With inflation everything in the 60's was more expensive in general.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

It was inexpensive for the time that is the point. With inflation everything in the 60's was more expensive in general.

Okay I suppose that makes sense in some way...I guess I was focusing on Fender v. Gibson prices. Just a comparison:

List price of a Tele in July 1951 = $189.50
    List price of a Les Paul Goldtop in 1952 = $209*
    (Both roughly $1800 in 2015 dollars).

*Les Paul info is from Wikipedia, but the Tele figure is from the Duchossoir book.

Maybe I'm so used to modern pricing that I generally think of a Les Paul costing about triple a Tele price (roughly, with American Standardish-quality for each). When you think of the materials and especially labor involved, I would think a Paul-type will always be a lot more. Perhaps Pauls were more of a working man's guitar back then also, and once all these guitars became famous, prices went up?

Anyway, I was just considering what a "working man" could spend on a guitar, then or now.

User Info Menu

Do the reverse math. My Squire Affinity, which was my "dipping a toe into the Tele thing" guitar, was $180 five years ago. In 1951 that would have been $21.50. Astonishing! The average weekly wage in 1960 in the US was apparently about $67.50, which means the working person was saving up for a while to buy a Tele.

I have some receipts that I found in my parents' house for paying things off on installments after they got married- a hi-fi, dining room set, etc. Credit before the days of ubiquitous credit cards.

BTW, that Affinity is actually quite a good guitar, although I had to look at six of 'em before I found one without significant neck problems. I put some Dimarzio Area Ts in it and it is an excellent sounding guitar and the quietest, most hum-proof guitar I own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Do the reverse math. My Squire Affinity, which was my "dipping a toe into the Tele thing" guitar, was $180 five years ago. In 1951 that would have been $21.50. Astonishing! The average weekly wage in 1960 in the US was apparently about $67.50, which means the working person was saving up for a while to buy a Tele.
    Yes with CNC machines and Chinese factories turning out decent cheap guitars it's a golden age. I remember what cheap guitars were like back in the day!
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Top loader vs strings through body???

i never played a tele I loved due to the string tension, always thought it was the scale length. However a strat has less tension, yet the same scale. My last ditch effect to love a tele has me thinking it must be the string break angle.

So.....

Anyone have experience with top loaders???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Yes with CNC machines and Chinese factories turning out decent cheap guitars it's a golden age. I remember what cheap guitars were like back in the day!
    Oh the nightmare of cheap guitars with necks like 2x4's and string a mile high, the cheap strings like the Black Diamonds that felt like running your fingers over barbed wire. But if you wanted to play guitar you didn't care it was a guitar.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post

i never played a tele I loved due to the string tension, always thought it was the scale length. However a strat has less tension, yet the same scale. My last ditch effect to love a tele has me thinking it must be the string break angle.

So.....

I've never been that fond of top loader tele's, but there are people that swear by them. Buzz Feiten's new line of guitars that are tele-like have top-loader bridges. I felt they lowered the string tension too much and having the string come through the body and bend against the bridge plate it made more contact with the wood string vibration transfer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostofachance View Post
    A telecaster has been my main axe for almost two decades, so I'm about as qualified to speak as anybody.

There are so many things that I appreciate about tele's. I like the scale, the body size, the bolt-on neck (which I wish archtops had), and the tonal versatility.

But no way do I think that Leo got it 100% right. Beauty is in the mind of the beholder, and this beholder thinks that tele's are ugly. I also don't appreciate the absence of body contour cuts (not that archtops have them, but strats do), and have always hated string trees. I would have appreciated block inlays and binding on the neck and headstocks. And did I mention that nothing is cheesier than decals on a headstock.

And did I mention that Mr. Fender loved to obscure the beauty of the natural grain of wood with opaque paint and big plastic pickguards.

I bought my tele when I still played rockabilly. These days I play only jazz. If I had to buy a guitar today, it certainly wouldn't be a tele.
    You sir, are a knave. You will find no friends on this thread. Tele-doubter! Go back to your gibsons, coxcomb.

User Info Menu

I remember Black Diamonds! Man, I hated those strings!

User Info Menu

So.....

For about 6 years, I was fortunate enough to be the caretaker of an 83' Tele Elite. It was a top loader with cool active mini hum buckers... another lesson learned from Guthrie, always play with big strings.. I've ALWAYS strung (from day one) all of my tele's with 12, 16, 24w, 32, 42, 52... the bigger strings sound/feel/respond much bigger and fuller... well... I seem to remember the Tele Elite having a very slinky feel to it. I also remember the tele elite being less "acoustic" sounding... it reminded me of playing a les paul, and that probably has to do with the lack of string tension since the strings were not pulling through the body... The scale length was 25.5, as has always been the case with my teles...

The top loading tele elite just seemed to play easier... I'm not sure though without having it now to compare...

This may not help, but I got caught up in the whole string break angle-modern saddles vs. vintage barrel debate, and built two tele's to compare... one with barrel saddles vs. one with modern saddles... There wasn't too big of a string tension "feel" difference... but... I kept the tele with modern saddles... I happen to think that some modern advancements in bridge technology are awesome like accurate string spacings and adjustable heights...

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-angle1-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-angle2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    I like that neck wood ...
    what is that ?
    The neck wood is Wenge... with an ebony fretboard...

no finish required on the neck, and it's freaking awesome feeling... as far as i'm concerned, the aristocrats can keep the flamed/birdseye/blue moon spruce maple guitars to themselves... i'm happy with this baby..

User Info Menu

I like a Wenge neck on a Tele:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-wenge-black-tele-jpg

and a Bubinga neck:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-bubinga-maple-tele-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wierdOne View Post
    got caught up in the whole string break angle-modern saddles vs. vintage barrel debate, and built two tele's to compare... one with barrel saddles vs. one with modern saddles... There wasn't too big of a string tension "feel" difference... but... I kept the tele with modern saddles... I happen to think that some modern advancements in bridge technology are awesome like accurate string spacings and adjustable heights...
    One of the things I like about my Tele is the 3 barrel brass bridge. The low stringsrattles a bit when punched which I find part of the Tele charm YMMV!

User Info Menu

Listening to this inspired me to contact Chihoe hahn and ask if he could build me a guitar inspired by this. Obviously I'll never HAVE this touch, feel, time, or hair

But he made me a lovely guitar, Robben played one of chihoe's guitars at a sound check. Guess what .... It sounded just like his own guitar, still I LOVE the tele he made its so resonant with the tightest neck pocket ever.

Anyway check out Robben's

Here's him playing a Hahn

Last edited by 55bar; 12-18-2015 at 06:22 AM.

I also have been very satisfied with my modern telecaster bridge. I guess that the old style "barrel bridge" is okay if you you're willing to trade marginal gains in sustain for poor intonation.

Re-visiting the statement that "Leo got it 100% right the first time" -- correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the first tele actually a Broadcaster, with only a bridge pickup? And since the neck pickup is invaluable for playing jazz, how could the Broadcaster be "100% right" for playing jazz?

I saw a funny ad for a used Fender Relic. The ad said that the guitar was in excellent condition, but with only a couple of scratches on the back. By this logic, it's okay if the Fender factory puts scratches on your guitar, but not if the customer does it???

Don't get me wrong: I think the tele is a great guitar. If I thought otherwise, it wouldn't have been my main ax for so long (and still is). But that's very different from thinking that the tele is perfection. Can you wrap your head around that distinction? And while you can get various non-Fender teles or Fender Custom Shop teles that correct its various shortcomings, one thing you can't do is fix ugly.

User Info Menu

I also have been very satisfied with my modern telecaster bridge. I guess that the old style "barrel bridge" is okay if you you're willing to trade marginal gains in sustain for poor intonation.
    Actually part of the Tele's sound and the old Gibson wrap-around bridge is the round bridge. It affects the tone versus the peaked bridge pieces. Also all the steel of the Tele bridge plate and bridge pieces contribute some of the replacements use other metals and no longer that Tele sound.

User Info Menu

Actually part of the Tele's sound and the old Gibson wrap-around bridge is the round bridge. It affects the tone versus the peaked bridge pieces.
    I agree 100%.

I went from grooved steel saddles to brass and the added bell like shimmer is beautiful.

I did have a set of Wilkinson intonated brass saddles which imparted a weird overtone on the D string which I ditched for Kluson harmonic brass saddles.
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

So.....

My Squier is toploader. I was told through bodies should have more sustain, but I'm not so sure about that, as it rings for ages. However, I was never into musician's lingo, so "sustain" may be something completely different? To my ears, acoustical sound of my Squier tele is the best there is.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

I installed GraphTech saddles to my Tele to try to reduce the high frequency spike a few weeks ago. I suppose some people hear that a "sparkle" but to me it just sounds harsh. There's a high end bite on a lot guitars- not just Teles- that I don't like for my jazz sound. So far I like the GraphTechs because they do exactly what a lot of players on the Tele forum gripe about. If I was playing blues, country or rock I might feel differently.

One of the great things about the Tele is that it can cover all of those styles of music so adroitly. I've not got any of the classical repertoire under my fingers but maybe it'd cover that too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow View Post
    I agree 100%.

I went from grooved steel saddles to brass and the added bell like shimmer is beautiful.

I did have a set of Wilkinson intonated brass saddles which imparted a weird overtone on the D string which I ditched for Kluson harmonic brass saddles.

I had a Wilkinson tele bridge and it was okay, but once I replaced it with a Joe Barton with the round compensated brass bridge piece the whole guitar just woke up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson View Post
    My two favorite guitars at this time are my Tele and my Epi Dot Deluxe Flametop. If I were to make a canine comparison, I would liken the Tele to a Bull Terrior like Spuds MacKenzie. I LOVE that breed and if my wife would allow it, I would have one. I consider them beautiful in an ugly sort of way. I consider the Tele as beautiful in a very plain, utilitarian style. No frills no fancy appointments; just plain tone.

My 335 is more like Lassie. Beautiful in every way and very useful in any situation. Some days when it is "dog-walking" time, I take Lassie for a walk, other days I am in a Spuds mood. They both serve me very well.
    Love it! I had a bull terrier for 14 years... "Half pig, half shark"

User Info Menu

I love Teles, the reason I bother with F hole guitars is because I like the woody hollow tone I get with those. My latest Tele and I've had quite a few, at least a dozen over the years has a G&L asat Classic neck pickup in it. I'm not a fan of the stock tele neck pickup and I tried a dozen trying to keep the stock look. The bridge PU is awesome.

Attachment 26349
    Last edited by abelljo; 12-25-2015 at 05:43 PM.

User Info Menu

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the first tele actually a Broadcaster, with only a bridge pickup?
    There are no one-pickup Broadcasters. The first teles were labelled as Esquires. They did not have any truss rods, and many were sent back to Fender due to neck problems.
    The guitar was reintroduced as a two pickup version, with a trussrod, and that version was called the Broadcaster; then it had no name for awhile (hence the nickname "Nocaster") while Fender responded to a cease-and-desist letter from Gertsch, then it became the Telecaster (2-pickup version) and the Esquire (1-pickup version).

It is no longer necessary to trade marginal gains in sustain for poor intonation. Several aftermarket manufacturers make intonatable 3-piece barrel bridges that allow for accurate intonation. Fender has introduced its own version of this design as well.

I saw a funny ad for a used Fender Relic. The ad said that the guitar was in excellent condition, but with only a couple of scratches on the back. By this logic, it's okay if the Fender factory puts scratches on your guitar, but not if the customer does it???
    That is correct.

I'm with you in believing that teles are great guitars, but certainly far from perfect.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-25-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

I tried a Fender Deluxe Thinline Tele a few days ago at a store, and I liked it, but there were two problems:

1) The high E string was very close to the edge of the fingerboard, and I could see that there would be a problem with it slipping off the edge of the fingerboard.

2) Although the action was great on the guitar, the high E string would smack into the frets when I picked it hard.

The guy at the store said it had .010s on it, so maybe using an .011 for an E string would help with #2.

I don't want to raise the action, because I want a guitar that's easy to play, but can still get a good jazz sound.

I don't think I could get the same jazz tone out of it if I bought a Tele without the one F-hole that this one had, plus it had a skinnier neck than the other Teles I tried out, so this would probably be the model that I'd like the best (I HATE fat necks!).

Any suggestions? TIA

User Info Menu

my opinion is, if you find a new guitar that resonates with you..get it..all the fine tunings need to be tweaked anyway..i do my own..but, if that's not your forte..take it to somebody who can..or talk seller into doing set up..i know gc is very flexible this way nowadays

guitar you mention sounds like it just needs a good set up..i never met a new guitar that didn't!

w/o getting technical..sounds like simple stuff..and you'd be happy

cheers

ps- if we were local i'd set it up ..compliments
    Last edited by neatomic; 12-26-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: ps

User Info Menu

I've got a Highway 1 Tele (tobacco burst). Not sure of the year, but fairly recent. I never would have thought of playing jazz on a Tele, but I love it. On the neck pickup with the tone rolled off it gives a fairly convincing jazz sound.

It's a great travel guitar, too, being practically indestructible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    I tried a Fender Deluxe Thinline Tele a few days ago at a store, and I liked it, but there were two problems:

1) The high E string was very close to the edge of the fingerboard, and I could see that there would be a problem with it slipping off the edge of the fingerboard.

2) Although the action was great on the guitar, the high E string would smack into the frets when I picked it hard.

The guy at the store said it had .010s on it, so maybe using an .011 for an E string would help with #2.

I don't want to raise the action, because I want a guitar that's easy to play, but can still get a good jazz sound.

I don't think I could get the same jazz tone out of it if I bought a Tele without the one F-hole that this one had, plus it had a skinnier neck than the other Teles I tried out, so this would probably be the model that I'd like the best (I HATE fat necks!).

Any suggestions? TIA
    It may be possible to adjust the string issue by loosening the neck bolts and pushing the neck towards the high E string, then tighten the neck bolts back down. There is usually enough freedom to center the strings.

User Info Menu

It may be possible to adjust the string issue by loosening the neck bolts and pushing the neck towards the high E string, then tighten the neck bolts back down. There is usually enough freedom to center the strings.
    That was exactly the case with my tele as well, and Cunamara's solution worked like a charm! I actually put the guitar on it's side to set the neck before I tightened the bolts again.

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

Back in the day music stores did that in-store and would scare the crap out of customers but it worked. They would just grab the guitar by the neck around the nut area, then the body in and smack it down across their knee. Check the neck and smack it again is necessary. Saw Ted Greene to it once too. Old school, but it worked to align the neck.

User Info Menu

I recorded a video of me playing my new tele today.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Beautiful Thank you!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

I had a Wilkinson tele bridge and it was okay, but once I replaced it with a Joe Barton with the round compensated brass bridge piece the whole guitar just woke up.
    Wilkinson intonated saddles don't do wound G compensation, I needed 2 sets.

Then they left that weird overtone. I broke the wind on a Thomastic flatwound D string trying to wrestle out that awful overtone. I was not happy.

The Klusons are boss mate, and less coin in blighty.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_0718-640x478-jpg
    Brass distressed the good old fashion way!
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

Very nice playing, Keith!
    A beautiful tone, as well.
    Paolo

User Info Menu

Well my missus loved my Tele American deluxe so much she went and bought one in the January sales:

So the Butterscotch one is mine - a 2005 (I think) American Deluxe
    Hers in Silver and Tortoiseshell is the 2015.

They are strong differences in character between them... And it's not just the pickups or the rosewood.....

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-teles-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_1707-jpg 
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-06-2016 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Is there anyone playing Suhr Telecasters?
    I am thinking of trading my Fender American Vintage 52 reissue for a Tele Suhr...
    Paolo

User Info Menu

Adorable... you two will need matching track suits now.
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175 View Post
    Is there anyone playing Suhr Telecasters?
    I am thinking of trading my Fender American Vintage 52 reissue for a Tele Suhr...
    I don't think you would be disappointed by the upgrade. The Suhrs are better than the sub 2000USD Fenders from my experience. I couldn't afford a Suhr though, and the butterscotch Fender was the guitar that came closest - not far off... I think I'd tried pretty much everything non-Custom Shop.
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-06-2016 at 06:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Adorable... you two will need matching track suits now.
    Or onesies :-(
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-06-2016 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Well my missus loved my Tele American deluxe so much she went and bought one in the January sales:

So the Butterscotch one is mine - a 2005 (I think) American Deluxe
    Hers in Silver and Tortoiseshell is the 2015.

They are strong differences in character between them... And it's not just the pickups or the rosewood.....

Does that new Tele have tortoiseshell binding? Those are sweet!
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I don't think you would be disappointed by the upgrade. The Suhrs are better than the sub 2000USD Fenders from my experience. I couldn't afford a Suhr though, and the butterscotch Fender was the guitar that came closest - not far off... I think I'd tried pretty much everything non-Custom Shop.

is the 52 the one with the Deep U shape neck? If so how do you like it?

User Info Menu

Here are some old shots of my US Deluxe Tele (and a couple of my US Tele in Cherry Red).

Sorry for spamming with so many photos...

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2376757673_23efcda820_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2376758089_dea85f295a_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2376759363_58f4a3efb5_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2376759161_4715d213c3_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2377596102_fab245e3ae_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2377597302_25e9776902_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2377597418_07d7981152_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2377598234_971f2d87e4_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2377598612_5a63f8b93f_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2369973322_e582c4f997_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2354687616_4a0b3160e1_o-jpg

User Info Menu

^^I wanted to go into photography at one point...

User Info Menu

And a few more (because I'm Tele obsessed)Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2377828002_2934023069_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2376759959_a2f64d8301_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2377597550_8b3c2cb858_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2376758925_c0e6954ede_o-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-2367552616_b6faf6c3e9_o-jpg

User Info Menu

I was at the guitar shop the other day, and tried a few teles. I thought I'm gonna like Vintage 52 RI the best, but... and I'm only talking about the feel of an instrument, not the sound, I found my perfect neck in Vintage 58 RI ! It felt absolutely perfect, and only thing I would change is rosewood instead of maple fretboard.

The reason I was trying them out, I'm planning one day to built my own tele from parts, either from Warmoth, or Musikcraft, All Parts, or any of those builders.

After I figure out what neck I need, I immediately looked up Fender specs on 58 RI, and it says the D-profile! Nice, but nobody knows what D- profile is, it's never been in Fender catalog seems like. All those builders offer C, V, U, Soft V, but no D in sight!

Btw, to describe it, I guess it's not as deep as U, but has a lot of shoulders. Accidentally, the same neck profile (I'm pretty positive) was on Guild X175 Newark Reissue, made in Korea hollowbody I used to own.

well, at least I know what I want, because only recently I realized how much a neck specs affect playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I was at the guitar shop the other day, and tried a few teles. I thought I'm gonna like Vintage 52 RI the best, but... and I'm only talking about the feel of an instrument, not the sound, I found my perfect neck in Vintage 58 RI ! It felt absolutely perfect, and only thing I would change is rosewood instead of maple fretboard.

The reason I was trying them out, I'm planning one day to built my own tele from parts, either from Warmoth, or Musikcraft, All Parts, or any of those builders.

After I figure out what neck I need, I immediately looked up Fender specs on 58 RI, and it says the D-profile! Nice, but nobody knows what D- profile is, it's never been in Fender catalog seems like. All those builders offer C, V, U, Soft V, but no D in sight!

Btw, to describe it, I guess it's not as deep as U, but has a lot of shoulders. Accidentally, the same neck profile (I'm pretty positive) was on Guild X175 Newark Reissue, made in Korea hollowbody I used to own.

well, at least I know what I want, because only recently I realized how much a neck specs affect playing!
    Did you check Warmoth I was on their site a month or so ago and they had similar necks. I think one was called the Clapton then another once a bit larger. I think All Parts has the Lindy Fralin neck which is big and can be shaped down to what you want.

User Info Menu

Did you check Warmoth I was on their site a month or so ago and they had similar necks. I think one was called the Clapton then another once a bit larger. I think All Parts has the Lindy Fralin neck which is big and can be shaped down to what you want.
    Clapton is V neck, thats exactly opposite I think, no shoulders at all. I actually email most of those guys, they all told me they are not sure what the D profile is in connection to Fender tele, they never heard of it.

I'm also considering just buying 58 RI neck, I saw it on Ebay, licensed Fender. But ideally I want rosewood, so I dunno...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarWalter View Post
    I am too lazy and too untalented for working out some G. Trapp stuff - but I really like his style. Its much more than "country"... here is a cool piece of music

And here you can find some more ...
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ic+City+Roots+
    This is brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

^^Somewhat of a countrified Wayne Krantz thing going on.

Compositionally, it reminded me of some of the stuff from the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex (ex-Smasing Pumpkins).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Clapton is V neck, thats exactly opposite I think, no shoulders at all. I actually email most of those guys, they all told me they are not sure what the D profile is in connection to Fender tele, they never heard of it.

I'm also considering just buying 58 RI neck, I saw it on Ebay, licensed Fender. But ideally I want rosewood, so I dunno...
    From what I can tell Fender doesn't make any of their bigger necks the Soft-V's or U shape with rosewood. I like the Soft-V's but they vary I have one from a 60th Anniversary Baja tele more round than V and a new Baja Tele that is slightly more V but not much, then a Soft-V strat neck that is move V shaped. The current Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster has the U shaped neck like the Nocaster.