The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 41 of 90 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Posts 1,001 to 1,025 of 2249

User Info Menu

yeah been diggin roetgrs playing for a while here...but tele pickin was nice surprise..and well done

think a snappier single coil neck pup might work better though..the tk is certainly a great idea..but many options out there...look tv jones, lollar, curtis novak etc

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roegtr
    Playing a little jazz on this newer am.special Tele with an 80s Gibson paf humbucker. Going through a Fender Super Champ x2. D'addario chromes with an unwound third.
    Been listening to your stuff on YouTube man
    You play fantastically !
    Love your lines , chords , time , everything
    Who are your favorite guitar players ?

User Info Menu

I’ve been tinkering with my little Baja 60s since she’s become my #1. New bone nut to solve a string alignment problem (30€ to have it cut fresh and installed) + Fender compensated saddles (36€). For very little money, you really can improve a guitar.

The fact that I could keep a vintage bridge, and intonate as close to perfect as I care for, is really great. I love three barrel bridges, but those drop 3 -7b5 chords at the X fret could sound painful…

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3952-jpg

User Info Menu

I periodically have to show off my Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline P90 (with Squier classic vibe rosewood neck):

Btw, I put a pair of Gibson P90s. Those made this already very good instrument even better!

Here's a movie from the audience from that show (you need facebook to see it I guess):

Facebook

I play with a dark and jazzy sound here. We were the live accompaniment of a fashion show :-)
    Last edited by Little Jay; 09-27-2017 at 04:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi forum, I´ve been a very long time lurker, and this is only my second post.

The last couple of months I´ve been looking for a Telecaster. Been playing a lot of them, and it all came down to a Fender Elite or a G&L USA Asat Special. I finally decided to purchase the G&L, even though it was challenging for me to buy a Telecaster that doesn´t say "Fender" on the headstock.
    (I´m kind of a traditionalist : )
    But that G&L Special really sound amazing.

However, when I got to shop for purchasing the G&L today, they suddenly had this Fender Richie Kotzen signature hanging on the wall. Had to try it, and I was immediately sold. It both spoke and sang to me, and I must say it´s the first guitar (been playing for 36 years) who immidiately felt like a natural extension of me. And she sure looks and sounds amazing too. Very happy about it, love the contour body, the chunky neck, the over all esthetics with gold mechanics and the DiMarzio pickups.

Here she is, and also hanging out with another goldie maple caps:

Still, I believe there might be a G&L Special waiting for me down the road...?
    Now off to play her!
    (Sorry the Les Paul Custom photo are the wrong way. : )
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4022-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4019-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4016-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4021-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4014-jpg 

When I get back home il post pics of my finished tele build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmogs
    Hi forum, I´ve been a very long time lurker, and this is only my second post.

The last couple of months I´ve been looking for a Telecaster. Been playing a lot of them, and it all came down to a Fender Elite or a G&L USA Asat Special. I finally decided to purchase the G&L, even though it was challenging for me to buy a Telecaster that doesn´t say "Fender" on the headstock.
    (I´m kind of a traditionalist : )
    But that G&L Special really sound amazing.

However, when I got to shop for purchasing the G&L today, they suddenly had this Fender Richie Kotzen signature hanging on the wall. Had to try it, and I was immediately sold. It both spoke and sang to me, and I must say it´s the first guitar (been playing for 36 years) who immidiately felt like a natural extension of me. And she sure looks and sounds amazing too. Very happy about it, love the contour body, the chunky neck, the over all esthetics with gold mechanics and the DiMarzio pickups.

Here she is, and also hanging out with another goldie maple caps:

Still, I believe there might be a G&L Special waiting for me down the road...?
    Now off to play her!
    (Sorry the Les Paul Custom photo are the wrong way. : )
    Another Kotzen Tele owner here. I modded mine so that it now has a Tone control. It's a stacked Vol/Tone pot that makes an already good Tele, into a great Tele!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Another Kotzen Tele owner here. I modded mine so that it now has a Tone control. It's a stacked Vol/Tone pot that makes an already good Tele, into a great Tele!
    Yeah, I will also eventually have it modded to include a tone pot. I believe I will go for a regular tone pot with a
    push/pull for the S/P switch. I must say I´m totally amazed by the Kotzen. I have several more expensive guitars, but the voices, sustain and dynamics is simply outstanding. I´m in love!

User Info Menu

Two of them...Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2015-06-08-17-15-19-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20161230_143149-jpg
    Daphne Blue is a korean squier with added SH1 in neck.
    Second is a DIY cracked reclaimed pine with P90.
    Both can be very jazzy... love them!

It’s all done

User Info Menu

The price for this Tele is unreal but it's nice anyway. I am wondering - has anyone tried the John Page woodtone ebony saddles? Any comments on their impact on the tone would be interesting.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fender-founder-design-telecaster-fred-stuart-1-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fender-founder-design-telecaster-fred-stuart-9-jpg

JP Woodtone T-Style Bridge Assembly with Ebony Saddles | John Page Guitars

User Info Menu

My Walnut Tele with a Rosewood neck and Rio Grande CC pickups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Doublea A; 10-21-2017 at 03:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is my 1967 Fender Telecaster....

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-l1150262-jpg

User Info Menu

A follow up on my last spring build.
    I am more and more convinced the 25.5 scale play a huge part in the tele appeal for jazz compared to lets say the Les Paul; at least for me. Far from a tele for purists, might be even considered a blasphemy for some, I really dig that little bastard.
    I still love my Les Paul, but it is less articulated than my Warmoth franken tele build even though both share mahogany wood for their body and neck. The tele has no maple cap though, but still is sounding less dark than the Les Paul.
    The tele is closer to my former SG, but on steroids if that makes sense. Maybe the same analogy as between a 175 and a Tal; extended chords are clearer, bass notes more defined; the overall tone is a bit brighter and assertive not thin; scale has to play a huge role.
    I never thought I would play a solid body so often unplugged, it is resonant enough; more so than my set neck Les Paul and just a bit less sustaining.
    Is it the string through bridge? Don't know since there is a debate on whether a top loaded bridge or string through has more or less sustain...
    In any case it grew a lot on me since I finished it...I dare say it gets even more playtime lately than my beloved Tal
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170212_142220_resized-jpg

User Info Menu

Love seeing all the jazz tele's! Here's mine: (Not sure why it's posting sideways but here it is regardless)
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3163-jpg 

User Info Menu

My new one!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20171122_210223-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20171125_161143-jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

So I’ve decided to go vintage: got me an AVRI 52 last month, and sold the 60th Anniversary American Standard a few days ago. I love the new AVRI and play it a lot. Still, the jazz tele in the family is the red one… such a great tone, such a great-playing little tele. It’s a humble Baja 60s with a couple of tweaks… mid-priced or no, it’s probably my favorite guitar at the moment…
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-amber-sheryl-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    It’s a humble Baja 60s with a couple of tweaks… mid-priced or no, it’s probably my favorite guitar at the moment…

So what are the tweaks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    So what are the tweaks?
    Small stuff: new bone nut to correct bad string alignment, compensated saddles, a single-ply pickguard (previous one, in picture, was scratchy… and I prefer the simple look of 1-ply).

All of this helped, but it’s the basics that were great: lovely neck, straight and with a good truss-rod; stellar set of pickups (including for jazz). I love it and I cannot believe it costed me about 700€ new. In A/B tests, it has beaten down or matched teles that on paper should have sent it running for cover.

Of course there’s more tweaking planned. I am debating whether to get rid of the S1 switch and of the 4 way. I might get around to putting a top hat switch tip. At next string change, she’ll get flats.

If I still have it in 10 years from now, and if I go crazy, I might give it a blonde or LPB nitro refin.

User Info Menu

Reposting this short clip of a recent rehearsal/jam. (I'm having a great time, but feel that I'm overplaying... so I'm gonna learn to lay back, let the music breathe - and trust in Tele!)

soon to be my 69 walnut thinline . Ooooo. Thanks tonebomb for alloying this crazy idea become a reality . I’m beyond stoked

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    soon to be my 69 walnut thinline . Ooooo. Thanks tonebomb for alloying this crazy idea become a reality . I’m beyond stoked
    That's awesome! My Warmoth partscaster is going to be chambered mahogany with a koa top. Very excited about that!

User Info Menu

That's a lot of wood. Is the neck going to be walnut as well? (Is walnut even used for necks?)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    That's a lot of wood. Is the neck going to be walnut as well? (Is walnut even used for necks?)
    You can use walnut for necks on warmoth . I am planing on a walnut neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty
    You can use walnut for necks on warmoth . I am planing on a walnut neck

Ah, cool! I'll be interested to hear what it sounds like when it's done.