Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast
Posts 1,651 to 1,700 of 1720

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla View Post
    There are a lot of great teles here! I love the idea of the tele, but I don’t care for the 25.5” scale. I started out playing on a no-name Floyd Rose equipped strat copy but once I found a 24.75” I haven’t looked back. Thought about a Warmoth conversion neck partscaster but haven’t convinced myself I need one yet.
    Interesting! I'm the other way 'round. I was wondering why I liked my L5 neck better than my 335, and concluded it was partly the 25 1/2" scale of the L5.

It's harder to find 25 1/2" archtops than it is to order a 24 3/4" Tele conversion neck and bolt it on. It would be nice if Eastman or Godin or Ibanez made an affordable archtop with a long scale.
    Build bridges, not walls.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie View Post
    I think a sticky thread should deal with FAQs, but maybe I don’t know the rules for sticky’s on this forum..
    Exactly. The FAQs is telecasters are the coolest, so try to come to terms with it, buddy.

User Info Menu

Try a fine Scorch Brite pad on the back of the neck if it's sticky.

User Info Menu

Recently installed Fralin Steel Pole 42 pickups into my Tele. Love 'em!

"Songs are very interesting things to do to the air." -Tom Waits

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla View Post
    There are a lot of great teles here! I love the idea of the tele, but I don’t care for the 25.5” scale. I started out playing on a no-name Floyd Rose equipped strat copy but once I found a 24.75” I haven’t looked back. Thought about a Warmoth conversion neck partscaster but haven’t convinced myself I need one yet.
    Here's Bill Frisell playing a Gibson scale length neck on a Tele. BTW, I love the look and sound of this guitar -- and Frisell's playing is of course ... well, ethereal.

Last edited by archtopeddy; 06-24-2019 at 12:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy View Post
    Here's Bill Frisel playing a Gibson scale length neck on a Tele. BTW, I love the look and sound of this guitar -- and Frisel's playing is of course ... well, ethereal.

Wow! Talk about wringing emotion from a guitar.
    Check out my tracks at www.soundcloud.com/billmcmannis

User Info Menu

Hi ! Bill Frisell... what an amazing musicien !
    Last year I owned a wonderfull Maybach Teleman T54, much better than all the fender (including custom shop and masterbuilt) I've ever tried. Made in Europe, it goes with Ambers handmade pickups (like the original telecasters) and sugar pine body (like the original fenders !), it sounds great for jazz and so more. A truely wonderfull guitar with an amazing sustain ! My first with a maple fretboard (I usually prefer Ebony)... but I was really captivated.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-630253687841901896-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff View Post
    My Thinline:
    Attachment 62658
    This is an exceptionally attractive instrument. Where did you get the hardware (Bixby/Bridgeplate) for this?

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_20180602_184017-jpg
    Not to be compared with some of the beauties on this thread, I think this CV tele became something interesting once I placed a Lollar CC in the neck.
    At this point it had a JAG/Baytone CC bridge pickup in the first position. Great visual match ... but under powered when paired with the Lollar CC pickup in the neck. (The output ratings for the Lollar are only 3.2 K but with its unconventional 38 gauge wire looking to those numbers you end up comparing oranges to apples.) I had to put a SD Quarter Pound for Tele in there before I got the perceivable output close to matching.
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_20180906_161206-jpg
    With a Lollar Blade Steel pickup in the bridge. Too bright for a excellent match with that neck pickup in my books. Some say that the pickup was made to pair with the CC neck but actually the BS pickup was made first and is just generally recommended as a foil to the CC neck because its output matches.

It IS a great pickup. Loud, clean and bright with some aggressive attack. Sounded great for slide. It would be fantastic in an Esquire where you set up your EQ for this single pickup or on a guitar with a separate tone control to dial it down a bit. But when paired with the CC neck pickup and amp settings that suited it, it seemed like I was always putting on a "different hat" when changing pickup positions.

User Info Menu

Here's my "Beach-caster" and my other seafoam green one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_2580-jpg Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_2581-jpg Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_2582-jpg 

User Info Menu

Too many sexy teles out there!

Here are a couple chambered, spruce tops by Marc Rutters (from Tenn.), both listed on Reverb right now (no affiliation!):

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-rutters-2-jpg
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-rutters-jpg

User Info Menu

Both look fantastic but I can't find them on reverb. Are they sold already or what do I have to search for?

User Info Menu

Search for "Rutters."

Rutters butterscotch

Rutters f-hole

User Info Menu

Assume Esquires are cool in this thread?

Here’s my old 1952, a great one...

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-a155efe0-e38a-4874-884a-2f03bba0c861-jpg

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-95ce26b2-b871-4603-9fa4-1a65154aa8da-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-a155efe0-e38a-4874-884a-2f03bba0c861-jpg

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-95ce26b2-b871-4603-9fa4-1a65154aa8da-jpg
    1952? Yeah right, you can’t fool me, you bought that last week!

Man, that looks absolutely pristine, gorgeous!
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

My Hahn Model C (post #1615) now sports a TV Jones Filtertron at the neck. Great pickup!

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-screenshot-2019-08-13-22-17-18-png

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-df7edbc8-873e-48bd-b002-6f7273751769-jpg
    Telecasters are the ultimate guitars. No other guitar is so direct, responsive and honest:
    she forgives no mistake but she sounds just like you- nothing more, nothing less.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried a Don Mare Big Box Archtop pickup for the neck position?
    Supposed to give a sound similar to an archtop. Tim Lerch did a video on it:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Has anyone tried a Don Mare Big Box Archtop pickup for the neck position?
    Supposed to give a sound similar to an archtop. Tim Lerch did a video on it:

I‘ve found classical, vintage type Pickups (Alnico5 neck, Alnico3 bridge), correct outputs and wires work perfect and better than different pickup types. The trick are different picking positions, the use of tone/volume control and dynamic playing- you‘ll achieve that pure special tone you can only get from a (vintage type) Telecaster. Listen to Julian Lage. And check this:

User Info Menu

I‘ve found classical, vintage type Pickups (Alnico5 neck, Alnico3 bridge), correct outputs and wires work perfect and better than different pickup types. The trick are different picking positions, the use of tone/volume control and dynamic playing- you‘ll achieve that pure special tone you can only get from a (vintage type) Telecaster. Listen to Julian Lage.

Not sure why you wrote the above-I was asking if anyone had used the Don Mare Big Box pickup because I wanted to find out more about that pickup and that pickup only.
    Last edited by Doug B; 08-26-2019 at 08:18 PM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Doug B;973718]
    I‘ve found classical, vintage type Pickups (Alnico5 neck, Alnico3 bridge), correct outputs and wires work perfect and better than different pickup types. The trick are different picking positions, the use of tone/volume control and dynamic playing- you‘ll achieve that pure special tone you can only get from a (vintage type) Telecaster. Listen to Julian Lage.

Not sure why you wrote the above-I was asking if anyone had used the Don Mare Big Box pickup because I wanted to find out more about that pickup and that pickup only.
    sorry.

User Info Menu

Satan, he never rests.

Yield not to temptation!

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-800f16ee-42fe-4efd-ac0a-947ccbb2d4ff-jpg

When I was a child, I spake as a child about the superiority of the Stratocaster. When I was an older man, I put away the Strat.

Spalted maple body, redwood C neck, Biltoft CC pickups.
    Robert Hill Long
    Ferndale California
    rhl.photography

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-a9b335de-25f7-4e37-b0cd-00e689b6fbf6-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy View Post
    Here's Bill Frisell playing a Gibson scale length neck on a Tele. BTW, I love the look and sound of this guitar -- and Frisell's playing is of course ... well, ethereal.

Anybody got the lowdown on that large, unusual neck pickup? What a gorgeous sound! Great bass response!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    Anybody got the lowdown on that large, unusual neck pickup? What a gorgeous sound! Great bass response!
    It's a TK Smith C.A.R.-Pickup (and that pickguard looks also like a Smith custom pickguard).
    Those Pickups are late 40's sounding, inspired by the great Paul Bigsby Pickups.

TK Smith(R) Custom Guitars, Pickups, Pickguards, Necks, Guitar Accessories | TK Smith
    Last edited by Stefan Eff; 08-23-2019 at 03:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mateo2006 View Post
    This is an exceptionally attractive instrument. Where did you get the hardware (Bixby/Bridgeplate) for this?
    Thanks and sorry for the late reply, I've overread your question.

The hardware on this guitar is a Bigsby B16 (meanwhile with a vintage narrow handle instead of the Chet Arm) and a custom made Truarc Serpentune bridge. dBridges custom alu bridge base. I've bought the B16 from BAX shop, the bridge and the base are ordered directly from Tim (Truarc) and dBridges. Here's a summary:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-e72a7b10-db00-4c2b-b269-dd0dfc66c341-jpg

Tuners:

• Kluson Japan Single Line
    • Callaham Stainless Steel string retainer

Nut:

• TusqXL Vintage

Neck:

• Warmoth Custom Raw Deal roasted AAAA Flamed Maple FAT neck, compound radius 10-16“, 1“ 1st fret/12th fret, Jescar medium Jumbos

Body:

• Handcrafted body, Swamp ash/maple top, chambered but with completely massive center block.
    • Angled neck pocket (to avoid a shim)
    • Faded Sonic Blue, Pure Nitrocellulose lacquer, finished by Uwe Schölch (Tonfuchs guitars).

Hardware:

• Raw Alu, Nickel aged

Pickups:

• Handwound by David Barfuss.
    • Neck: Alnico 5, 42 AWG, 6.2 kO
    • Bridge: Alnico 3, 42 AWG, 5.7 kO

Bridge:

• Custom Truarc Serpentune in raw alu on custom dBridge alubase

Electronics:

• Emerson Custom (250 kO Emerson PRO CTS Solid Shaft, Oak Grigsby 3-Way Switch, Switchcraft 1/4" Mono Input Jack, 0.047uf Emerson Paper in Oil Capacitor, Treblebleed)

Tailpiece:

• Bigsby B16, Vintage narrow handle.

Weight:

• 2.8 kg

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fbca0dd0-bb59-4398-9d3d-1d9e847eead6-jpg
    Last edited by Stefan Eff; 08-23-2019 at 03:14 AM.

User Info Menu

That is an outstanding beautiful guitar. It's a one piece swamp ash body, right? Can you tell us about her weight, any sound samples?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringjazz View Post
    Here's my "Beach-caster" and my other seafoam green one.
    They are both awesome looking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Attachment 36092Attachment 36093
    just got this back from installing new Lollar pickups-
    his new staple in the neck and a bridge wound Charlie Christian in the bridge-

love the clarity and openness of the staple-
    took it to a improv session earlier this week and had a great time
    strung with D'Addario Chromes.
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-unnamed-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-14372388_10154675697468690_5060314849242913091_o-jpg

just letting any interested parties know, I'm selling this beautiful instrument

Creston Barn Beam Telecaster - staple & CC pickups

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-unnamed-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-14372388_10154675697468690_5060314849242913091_o-jpg

just letting any interested parties know, I'm selling this beautiful instrument

Creston Barn Beam Telecaster - staple & CC pickups
    Beautiful guitar! And I say that as an anti-bigsbist.

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-danocaster-18-jpg

Apparently Dan Strain has stopped making his Danocasters....glad I got mine (shown above) in early 2018. Plays like a dream and light to wear 6lb 4oz

User Info Menu

Going to be picking up a Squier Pro Tone Fat Tele tomorrow. These guitars were only made for a couple of years from 96' - 98'. Made in Korea and they seem to have a good reputation on some of the forums. $325 which seems to be in the ball park on what has sold on Reverb.
    Neck humbucker on this one.
    Natural finish ash body.
    Looks like this...
    Squier Wiki | Pro Tone Fat Tele

Anyone tried any of these before?

A real 1952??

A reissue, right?
    Testing a Gibson ES335 vs Harley Benton HB 35 (very inexpensive semi hollow body guitar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fGMIs1wNEA&t=185s

I am playing a solo over my buddys song, Cookies and Cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJHqt_lpyKM

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes View Post

Apparently Dan Strain has stopped making his Danocasters....glad I got mine (shown above) in early 2018. Plays like a dream and light to wear 6lb 4oz

Looks very nice!!
    Testing a Gibson ES335 vs Harley Benton HB 35 (very inexpensive semi hollow body guitar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fGMIs1wNEA&t=185s

I am playing a solo over my buddys song, Cookies and Cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJHqt_lpyKM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes View Post

Bugger. Rather wanted one of those.

User Info Menu

I've already posted my single-neck-humbucker-semi-hlloww jazz Tele; last weekend I picked up my other Tele, a Squier Affinity, which lived at the rehearsal place for my old band. It was my dipping-a-toe-in-the-water Tele. I swapped out the electronics for Dimarzio Area T pickups, CTS pots, 4 way switch, etc. Hadn't played it in a couple of years; doggone what a nice sounding Tele! The neck is very narrow, a shade under 1 5/8" at the nut, which I recall disliking but on getting the guitar back I really don't notice it- even though my other Tele has a 1 3/4 Warmoth neck! The surprising thing is how heavy it is, has to be near 8 lbs.

And oddly enough, with the Area T pickups and shielding my quietest and least hummy guitar is a Tele!
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Here's my favourite guitar:

2017 LIMITED EDITION AMERICAN ELITE MAHOGANY TELE® THINLINE

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-3c73ae52-25d2-45d9-b27b-7bd6f743a29f-jpg

I don't care much for the "Shawbucker" neck pickup. It's too thick sounding.
    But, I rarely use it anyway.
    The single coil is great!

I like the fingerboard radius: 9.5" to 14" Compound Radius (241 mm-355.6 mm)
    and the
    Neck Shape: Compound Back Shape, Modern "C" to "D"

It's the only Tele I own and the only one I've ever played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci View Post
    Going to be picking up a Squier Pro Tone Fat Tele tomorrow. These guitars were only made for a couple of years from 96' - 98'. Made in Korea and they seem to have a good reputation on some of the forums. $325 which seems to be in the ball park on what has sold on Reverb.
    Neck humbucker on this one.
    Natural finish ash body.
    Looks like this...
    Squier Wiki | Pro Tone Fat Tele

Anyone tried any of these before?
    Picked up the Pro Tone Fat Tele last week. Well constructed Squire. Only needed a slight truss rod & low E saddle adjustment. Wiring under the hood looks clean. Electronics & neck humbucker seem pretty decent for a Squier. According to some forums it came from the Cort factory and soon after the short 2 year run of these sounds like Cort started making the G&L Tribute series. So far not any issues adjusting to the neck. I got the pickup dialed in with with GHS boomers 10's. Might give the Brite Flats a whirl later. Will revisit this post after a couple of months of gigging with this.

User Info Menu

Mine, 24.75" scale. I have Bardens in it now.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-pimpstick-jpg

User Info Menu

Started getting the Tele bug awhile back. I’ve had Telecaster-ish guitars in recent times, but this 2008 Baja is the first proper Tele I’ve bought since 2004. Arrived with a perfect setup, and not a ding or scratch in sight. I’m even digging the round wound 10s. If I had to nitpick I’d probably choose a thinner finish, although this finish is not nearly as thick-feeling as the G&L Asat Special I had for awhile last year.
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-3ffac8ec-aec7-42a6-a88d-2d58ef1c0c04-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    I'm diggin' my tele thinline from RAM Guitars in Chicago -- yes, it's not a "classic" tele, but it's mighty nice!

Attachment 23047
    Now THAT'S an exciting looking variation on the T-style. I like it a lot. I have a Sadowsky T-style with splittable HBs. It's a cool guitar. This one...

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-full-guitar-sn-7647-5-26-17-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-sadowsky-t-style-7647-png 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    I'm diggin' my tele thinline from RAM Guitars in Chicago -- yes, it's not a "classic" tele, but it's mighty nice!

Attachment 23047
    That's a really unique and interesting version of a T-style guitar. I like that a lot.

I have a Sadowsky T-style with splittable HBs, this one...
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-full-guitar-sn-7647-5-26-17-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Mine has an ebony fretboard and a 1 3/4" nut, like a Big Boy archtop.

Ah! The Sadowsky I just posted has an ebony fretboard and a 1-3/4" nut as well! I guess we think alike. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by croth View Post
    Ah! The Sadowsky I just posted has an ebony fretboard and a 1-3/4" nut as well! I guess we think alike. :-)
    I suspect mine was cheaper

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    I suspect mine was cheaper
    I've learned not to judge things by money: more money spent does not always better make. But regardless, I love the design of yours and it's greatly possible that you're a better player, which would count for more! :-)

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fa127f9a-1102-4a12-963b-52249c97b939-jpg
    Here’s another one, 24.0” scale, Korina.

User Info Menu

This thread is absolutely excellent !
    Being an acoustic archtop player I haven't touch any of my personal guitars since I borrow from a friend his '52 tele reissue "true vintage" and an old tweed champ. Perhaps the Julian Lage effect ??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tatayoyo View Post
    This thread is absolutely excellent !
    Being an acoustic archtop player I haven't touch any of my personal guitars since I borrow from a friend his '52 tele reissue "true vintage" and an old tweed champ. Perhaps the Julian Lage effect ??
    I hear you Tatayoyo! A ’52 through a tweed champ is totally it!

User Info Menu

Here's my '52 Tele Clone...

I built this from an MJT body w/ Musikraft Neck and Seymour Duncan Antiquities... I tried to make it as close as possible to '52 spec... anyway, she plays like a dream!!

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-dsc_3370-2-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-dsc_1616-jpg