Page 33 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Posts 801 to 825 of 2243

User Info Menu

Get a load of this...

Woof!

Mercy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just came across SoulTool guitars, a small builder from Switzerland, man they are really beautiful guitars!!!! Not cheap since they are handmade but they look asesome, here's a couple of pics and the website

Soultool Customized Guitars Switzerland

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-47e259813844a7265a6725eeb69fa410-jpg
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-venus-jpg

User Info Menu

Those Soultools look cool. I've been looking for standard Fender tele alternatives to go with my Yamaha Mike Stern Tele. So far still no jackpot, even though I've been checking out custom builders and other mass manufacturers. Surprisingly, the most potent alternative I found _very_ close to me. Finnish Flaxwood hybrid - not your average retro tele, but a modern twist. I could see myself dumping the neck PU and going with that

2TC HYBRID SERIES - Flaxwood Guitars
    Last edited by TKO; 02-28-2017 at 08:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-danocaster-single-jpg

Any Danocaster owners out there? I'm looking to pick up one of these down the road a bit.

User Info Menu

Hello. I want to record before I make a ngd post but I also am impatient, so here's a teaser. Got an MIM 50s classic tele last week, and I did some mods as recommended by Tim Lerch, including installing Lollar pickups and brass saddles. I also added a 4 way switch and a Bakelite pickguard. The result:Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5331-jpg

Here's my tele and my only electric guitar. I paid $100 for it used. It's made by Vantek (Vantage) and from what little info I can gather it was probably made in Korea in the 1980's. There are no markings or serial numbers on the guitar. I removed the ugly head stock decal. It's very lightweight with a string thru full thickness body and has Fender USA vintage string spacing at the bridge which is ashtray style with 3 brass barrel saddles. It has a slab fingerboard and nice thick maple neck with the old style truss rod adjuster at the heel of the neck. The nut width is 43mm which is nice. I do not know the neck radius but it seems flat. It needs better tuners and pots but they work. The pickups are Alnico and measure 4.9k ohms at the neck and 5.9k ohms at the bridge. Sorry for the low resolution photo but all I have is my crappy tablet camera.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-vantek-tele-002-jpg
    Last edited by OldGuitarPlayer; 03-03-2017 at 09:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Does this count? Made this for my daughter, can't put it down. What a fun lark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think I might go with the partscaster route with my next tele after all, and I'm aiming for a Snakehead proto tribute.

I scored an older ('02) Squier body recently which has been pretty much sanded down to the wood already. I looking to finish that sanding, put on a white stain and a few coats of nitro (which I have laying around in a spray can). And Warmoth is most likely to provide the neck at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Allfifths
    That's gorgeous. What's the scale length? Would be great as a tenor guitar tuned in fifths.
    It's tuned like a ukulele with a low G. 17" scale length like a tenor Uke. Made with reclaimed urban lumber. Black acacia cap, California Sycamore neck, Olive fingerboard. Was going to have a Monterrey Cypress body, buy it developed a crack so I used a scrap piece of Big Leaf Maple. Only non reclaimed lumber on it.

The pickup is an inexpensive GFS pickup that frankly sounds GREAT. I've been a bit of a pickup snob, but this one is changing my mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    It's tuned like a ukulele with a low G. 17" scale length like a tenor Uke. Made with reclaimed urban lumber. Black acacia cap, California Sycamore neck, Olive fingerboard. Was going to have a Monterrey Cypress body, buy it developed a crack so I used a scrap piece of Big Leaf Maple. Only non reclaimed lumber on it.

The pickup is an inexpensive GFS pickup that frankly sounds GREAT. I've been a bit of a pickup snob, but this one is changing my mind.

Interesting, 17" puts it right in the tenor mandola scale length, tuned CGDA. Post this on the Mandolincafe forum and they'd be beating your door down. Lovely work.

Danocaster Olympic White / 1 pc maple neck. Dialed in for warmer jazzier tones.
    Fred Stuart Blackguard neck , a custom A3 Budz / Dano bridge and brass saddles.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fullsizeoutput_805-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fullsizeoutput_804-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fullsizeoutput_7fb-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fullsizeoutput_803-jpg
    Last edited by carlescountry; 03-24-2017 at 06:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Hello. I want to record before I make a ngd post but I also am impatient, so here's a teaser. Got an MIM 50s classic tele last week, and I did some mods as recommended by Tim Lerch, including installing Lollar pickups and brass saddles. I also added a 4 way switch and a Bakelite pickguard. The result:Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5331-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nodog
    Gentlemen,
    Anyone got a sound clip of a jazzy Tele
    Here is one of my videos

Check out my other videos

Check out Tim Lerch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nodog
    Gentlemen,
    Anyone got a sound clip of a jazzy Tele
    Check out Ed Bickert

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My tele body should be being shipped to me this week

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    We all start with one. I have 6.

Mines gonna be a 72 inspired build . Ashbody , maple strat neck, widerange neck pickup and thinking an nocaster or broadcaster bridge pickup

User Info Menu

Woops. I just bought a parts Tele/esquire for a pretty nice price. Wilkinson bridge, handwound pickup, Fender MIM standard neck.. the pickguard has a place for a minihumbucker - looks like I get to go pickup shopping. Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Seymour Duncan has some pretty good mini humbuckers, I recently installed one on my Squier CV and it sounds really good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TKO
    Woops. I just bought a parts Tele/esquire for a pretty nice price. Wilkinson bridge, handwound pickup, Fender MIM standard neck.. the pickguard has a place for a minihumbucker - looks like I get to go pickup shopping. Suggestions?
    Mojotone
    Klein
    Rio Grande
    Seymour Duncan
    Lollar
    Curtis Novak
    TK Smith

That's just for starters

User Info Menu

I have a spare Budz mini around here somewhere, along with a few vintage Gibson mini-humbuckers from the 1960s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Alright, dammit, I'm in. That is, after I build my ultimate toploading partscaster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

A labour of love!

I got a hold of a cheap neck that needed work, but is straight and comfortable with a ~12" radius. Someone put a Fender Esquire decal on it at some point, but I think it is a Mighty Mite. Putting brand names on off-brand items always strikes me as dishonest, but I may end up just leaving it on knowing that nobody in their right mind would confuse this guitar with an actual Esquire.

I then repaired a bad heel crack, dowelled the old, misaligned screw holes and drilled new ones, levelled and dressed the frets, installed a TUSQ nut, and took the gloss off the back of the neck with fine abrasives.

It had a bizarre pit in the middle of the face; I think a string tree had broken off and the previous owner tried to (unsuccessfully) drill/gouge it out. I filled the pit with resin and wood dust, and with a new tree it looks moderately less terrible.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170304_124409-jpg
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170304_125709-jpg
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170407_112445-jpg

I'm still waiting for my ash tele custom body to come in

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The body is from a Squier Affinity, and I picked it up because it looked like a nicely-grained piece of alder, has a lovely butterscotch amber tint, and I like the idea of a top-loader. However, I also like the traditional ashtray bridge type, and the problem becomes obvious when aligning the bridge:

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170312_145537-jpg

Not only are there screw holes where the modern-style bridge is attached, they massively over-route the pickup cavity, resulting in an enormous butt-crack!
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170312_145629-jpg

After filling those holes I added a bit of extra wood to the sides of the cavity, and did my best to match the stain...
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170312_155719-jpg

... and here we are after drop-filling the finish. It certainly isn't invisible, but it isn't really noticeable without looking closely.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170407_112157-jpg
    Last edited by Jehu; 04-06-2017 at 08:26 PM.

User Info Menu

So I am now a proud member of the club.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170325_184223-jpg

I have a nice-playing Tele that is "complete" (at less than 1/2 the cost of a Squier CV), but far from "finished"! The first of many tweaks arrived this morning, a set of Bareknuckle Flat 50s:
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20170407_111810-jpg

Next up: Shielding the cavities and replacing all of the wiring, switches, and jack with better quality stuff.
    Last edited by Jehu; 04-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    A gorgeous tele you have made for yourself! Kudos to the labour and the love!
    Great. Please post something once you have installed the Bare Knuckles pick ups. I have curious about these pick ups for years but I have not pulled the trigger because I have not been able to find good Jazz clips that would convince me to purchase them.