Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Posts 1,551 to 1,600 of 1720
    There Wala

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks great! Is the pick guard part of the body or a separate piece?
    "I'm opposed to picketing, but I don't know to show it." --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe View Post
    Looks great! Is the pick guard part of the body or a separate piece?
    Separate. The body is Walnut and pickguard is paufero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty View Post
    Separate. The body is Walnut and pickguard is paufero
    Nice! I like the look a lot. The Pau Fero is just enough darker than the walnut so that you can clearly see it's a pickguard, but matches nicely.

User Info Menu

Just finished this AM and I think I've finally got one the way I want it. Of course the neck is the same old All Parts that I've been using for 30 years and I kept my trusty Bill Lawrence Keystone in the bridge (had it forever, too). The rest is all new: mahogany body chambered both sides with a 4" solid strip down the middle, 1/4" maple top that I resawed and bookmatched from a bigger board I bought off Ebay about 4 years ago, bridge is Wilkinson (my favorite), controls are all good quality (CTS, Grigsby, Switchcraft, cloth wire), and neck pickup is new - a Duncan Alnico II Pro. Finish is tinted shellac - kind of a 'redneck' French polish that I developed. I thought about going without a pickguard because the wood is so pretty but decided that Teles just don't look right without one. I'm very happy with the tone, so far, but may raise the neck PU a little .......AND........it weighs FIVE POUNDS!!!!
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fancy-t-1-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fancy-t-2-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
    Just finished this AM and I think I've finally got one the way I want it. Of course the neck is the same old All Parts that I've been using for 30 years and I kept my trusty Bill Lawrence Keystone in the bridge (had it forever, too). The rest is all new: mahogany body chambered both sides with a 4" solid strip down the middle, 1/4" maple top that I resawed and bookmatched from a bigger board I bought off Ebay about 4 years ago, bridge is Wilkinson (my favorite), controls are all good quality (CTS, Grigsby, Switchcraft, cloth wire), and neck pickup is new - a Duncan Alnico II Pro. Finish is tinted shellac - kind of a 'redneck' French polish that I developed. I thought about going without a pickguard because the wood is so pretty but decided that Teles just don't look right without one. I'm very happy with the tone, so far, but may raise the neck PU a little .......AND........it weighs FIVE POUNDS!!!!
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fancy-t-1-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fancy-t-2-jpg
    Mighty fine looking Tele, Skip! Well done, and play it in good health!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

^ ditto skip e...nice!...any further info about that hillbilly french polish would be appreciated!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    ^ ditto skip e...nice!...any further info about that hillbilly french polish would be appreciated!
    cheers
    Yeah Skip, that looks great!
    What's the mahogany back look like?

As for that spec'd out french polish, does that mean the flake shellac gets disolved in moonshine instead of denatured alchohol ?
    John

User Info Menu

Good idea! I use regular canned shellac and thin it with denatured alcohol and rub it on then polish with 3000 and 5000 grit pads. Gives a pretty nice hand rubbed finish. I'm not set up to spray so this works for me. I'll post a pic of the back later.

User Info Menu

high proof grain alcohol is good way way to go..everclear works well...and no toxic additives like hardware store alcohols

trouble with most canned shellacs is they have wax

zinser sealer shellac is dewaxed...that's the can to use

also french polish enthusiasts..french use walnut oil..not olive..

for padding, walnut oil is a polymerizing oil as well (dries hard)

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john_a View Post
    Yeah Skip, that looks great!
    What's the mahogany back look like?

As for that spec'd out french polish, does that mean the flake shellac gets disolved in moonshine instead of denatured alchohol ?
    John
    Here's the back - believe it or not, it's 3 pieces.

That's the shellac I use. A lot of guys I've talked to don't even bother with oil anymore but I plan to try olive oil on my next build just to see if it makes things any easier.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fancy-t-3-jpg

This one was the 245/300 of the first production of the Fender custom shop,the 40th Anniversary Telecaster;
    The 300 badge of those guitars started in 1988 and ended sometime in the 1990.They do have an ivoroid pickguard..the raw sheet material was difficult to find by the custom Team. The pickups of this one was made by Fred Stuart.
    He has a motto : " I'd rather be accused of copying quality than creating mediocrity."

Last edited by Hyppolyte Bergamotte; 04-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    What do you mean by 'confident about the venue'? E.g. does it relate to the acoustics of the place (i.e. you wanted to avoid archtop feedback?) or the type of people that go to this place (i.e. archtop would be perceived as if you're playing 'old folk' music????).
    No. Some venues have cramped stages where you will bump your guitar. This one was like that. You can demolish walls with a Stratocaster.

User Info Menu

No jazz content here, but great fun and almost educational.....

Have no secrets, hear no lies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post
    No jazz content here, but great fun and almost educational.....

Rob Chapman has freakishly good ears for gear...

User Info Menu

That's coming along nicely!

That's coming along nicely!
    Thanks the neck will be like this but with walnut instead of maple

User Info Menu

Absolutely a-droolable ... can't wait for the rest !

User Info Menu

Thanks the neck will be like this but with walnut instead of maple
    Nice. I'm not really a fan of Bigsbys for playing (or any twang bar for that matter), but they sure look cool, and I love the dark wood / gold hardware color combo.

Nice. I'm not really a fan of Bigsbys for playing (or any twang bar for that matter), but they sure look cool, and I love the dark wood / gold hardware color combo.
    Thanks . The best part is if I decide I don’t like the bigsby I can use the string thru option I have with the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham View Post
    Absolutely a-droolable ... can't wait for the rest !
    Thanks

Better pictures . I will order the pickups next week.

User Info Menu

Better pictures . I will order the pickups next week.

That is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the finished product.

In related news, I decided to pretty up one of my teles. It was originally a Fender 50s classic, but I replaced the neck and I ended up replacing the body too. The only remaining "Fender" part is the bridge plate.

Here is is next to my TK Smith tele. As the picture suggests, there's always room for another tele.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_7718-jpg

User Info Menu

As a PSA, I noticed this on Reverb. For any Western Swing fans, this looks like a hell of a guitar. No affiliation.

Fender TK Smith Equipped Telecaster Blonde | Wavin' Wheat | Reverb

User Info Menu

This thread keeps goin' and goin' !

Logan with Warmoth neck:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-logan-tele-jpg

User Info Menu

i recently got a 52 reissue, for a good price
    i put a 6 saddle bridge on, and i got some noiseless pickups from melancon (boutique builder)
    i have matt at 30th street guitars fix it up a bit, he put a push pull pot on the tone control, i have no idea exactly what it does, but it makes that tele a jazz machine, sounds like an old archtop with a p90 through my deluxe reverb... really wonderful, i love that guitar
    i never had a maple neck before, so snappy, but getting used to the neck has taken a little time, smaller radius, closer string spacing

User Info Menu

Great guitars. Great woods.

User Info Menu

The grain patterns worked out really well on the one with the gold Bigsby. That can be a make or break with these kinds for me, but is really nicely done IMHO. Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200 View Post
    The grain patterns worked out really well on the one with the gold Bigsby. That can be a make or break with these kinds for me, but is really nicely done IMHO. Bravo!
    Thank you I got lucky with that piece of wood

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    This thread keeps goin' and goin' !

Logan with Warmoth neck:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-logan-tele-jpg
    Are you the original owner? Did he use the Warmoth neck in the original build? Or did you replace the neck? Or something else? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    No, I just scored it from the original owner. I believe he had Rob put it on; he showed me the spec sheet from warmoth; feels nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    Hi,
    No, I just scored it from the original owner. I believe he had Rob put it on; he showed me the spec sheet from warmoth; feels nice!
    Thanks. Yours looks great! I also have a Logan tele, bought third hand I believe, at an excellent price. Carbonita, with Duncan p90s.

User Info Menu

I saw Ted Greene play live once. It was at an art gallery in North Hollywood. He played for hours without break. It was an amazing experience to see him and meet him because I used Chord Chemistry in school. He was really nice. I learned later that it would be one of the last times he would ever play live before he died.

He played a Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Chord Chemistry was one of the first books I ever bought. Still way over my head, but I have gotten a lot out of it over the years.

Ted Greene was great, btw. I have to say that it is hard not to be put off by videos of him playing in his messy bedroom, but if that is the way it is done, I shouldn't criticize.

User Info Menu

Guys, sorry if that's not the right treath but just Im curious. What do you think about the Fender MIM Player Telecasters? Good valiue for the money?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

the new mim player series is the new replacement for the long running mim standard series (which has been dropped)..with a few tweaks and differences

take a look at the g&l tribute line...some nice tele type guitars in that range...great bang for the buck..& nice qc

cheers

User Info Menu

Recent Telecaster-ish purchase, a 2016 G&L ASAT Special in Himalayan Blue:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

User Info Menu

Picked this up few months ago.. 84 fender japan all rosewood (not laminated like the recent ones).
    Heavy but plays and sounds amazing. Probably not staying forever as I prefer my es-175 but I couldn't
    let this one pass.

fender japan all rosewood by wout b, on Flickr

User Info Menu

The neck radius on your '84 made my heart skip a beat.

User Info Menu

whats wrong? Might be the photograph, radius is the same as my other tele's..

User Info Menu

Nothing is wrong. It looks like a vintage 7.5" radius neck. The MIJ necks were like that. In the 80s /90s the US Fenders went to a flatter, 9.5" radius. I prefer the older formula.

User Info Menu

Ah sorry, english isnt my native language.
    I thought skipping a heart beat referenced to being scared of something.
    Yeah i prefer vintage radius too.

User Info Menu

+1

User Info Menu

I prefer 7.5 radius too. Even more important nut width 1 5/8, not wider! In current Fender lineup I don't see any guitars with necks like that, wtf? Everything 1 11/16 and 9.5 or 12 radius, I don't get it.

User Info Menu

Fender, like the other manufacturers, of all types of merchandise, makes what sells in volume. There are companies that offer niche products, but they're small, and will never be big.

User Info Menu

The tappers and Bach-n-Rollers like the very flat, wide fretboards. It's all good, but I'm glad that there is also a market for traditional Fender specs, too. All of the after-market neck companies will supply you with a 7.5" radius, 1-5/8" nut neck upon request. You can even get skinny frets.

My "skips a beat" phrase was a reference to the old Buck Owens/Buckaroos song, too, by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I prefer 7.5 radius too. Even more important nut width 1 5/8, not wider! In current Fender lineup I don't see any guitars with necks like that, wtf? Everything 1 11/16 and 9.5 or 12 radius, I don't get it.

I believe Fender MiM Classic models still have 7.5 radiused fretboards, 50`s Baja model Tele has big V-neck with 7.5 fretboard. I own 7 Classic Fenders, all have 7.5 necks.