The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 31 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Posts 751 to 775 of 2243

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz
    ...Does the Classic 50's w the nitro finish have the same neck profile? Would love to have a blackguard style Tele with nitro finish without spending AVRI money.
    I could be wrong but I think that what Fender calls nitro now days is a thin nitro tint topped with poly coats.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

More or less yes, but they seem to have a different feel than the thick poly finishes. I won't pretend I can tell a difference tonally, but I like the feel. I've got one of the 60's Jags and am loving it so I suppose if it's an option I'll pursue it.

Plectrum, seen the video but thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to see if anyone could help me out. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread.

Anyway,

I've always been a tele guy, and have finally managed to save up some money (£2000 ish) that I would like to put into my dream tele. Problem is, I can't find a telecaster that suits all my "needs".
    Preferably, my tele would consist of:
    - A rosewood fingerboard
    - Have a contoured back (like a strat)
    - Humbucker (or P90) in the neck
    - Also, I would love to have a tremolo or bigsby on it
    - Modern C-neck (Fender style)

Some of you might thing that I should just go for a strat, but Tele is sort of my thing and I am not looking for a strat at the moment.
    Have you guys ever seen a tele like that? Or do you thing I have to build one myself. If so, would there be any Londoners out there who knows any good guitar builders in the London area?

Cheers guys.
    Last edited by JoeV; 12-22-2016 at 08:46 AM.

User Info Menu

JoeV,

The American Standard HH ticks a lot of those boxes. doesn't have the trem/bigsby though.

User Info Menu

Why don't you build one from Warmoth parts? You can get all you want for a fsir bit less than your budget and you can pay a luthier at home to put it together for you (in case you don't want to do it yourself - but it is not hard) or pay the luthier to tweak it to perfection (they kind of mostly need a fretlevel done and a professional setup after the build goes a long way in making a good guitar great).

User Info Menu

Building a Partscaster tele

Is a thread on a build

User Info Menu

The Suhr Modern T satin I bought a couple of weeks ago fits all your needs I think you can find it at peachguitars in the UK

User Info Menu

Super cheap, decent-looking Partscaster on Reverb. No connection to the seller, no interest in the sale.

In a way, this shows the downside of putting together a partscaster. Might be hard to sell someday. This guy has a Warmoth neck and Duncan pups. Ain't that a lotta guitar for $449?

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-rzmmfa3kpn19repmpokn-jpg

Custom Tele-Style Electric w/Warmoth Neck & Seymour | Reverb
    Last edited by Flat; 12-23-2016 at 02:57 AM.

User Info Menu

What say about a tele with two f-holes?

This always sounds good to me in theory, but it's hard to strike an elegant balance. I really like LSL, but I'm not so sure this one works for me...my eye would have to think about it for a while...

Saw it on reverb. No connection to seller.

LsL Soledad 'Solara' | Reverb

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-lsl-fholes-png

User Info Menu

I have the brand new Fender limited edition with figured neck. I replace the neck pickup by the alnico II pro. The pickup as short legs and fit perfectly without changing the routing body. I take a new pickguard on amazon for 10$ and I'm all set for jazz!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    What do you guys think about this: in my Modern Player Thinline P90 Tele I have 250k pots and .047uf caps. Gibson typically uses 500k pots and a .022uf cap. I like the way the P90 sounds in my ES-125 better than the P90s in my thinline Tele.... maybe not a fair comparison and of course there are many more differences but I won a complete Epiphone wiring harness with switch, 500k full size Alpha pots and .022 caps on ebay (for only $5, ha!) and I will install that and see if it makes a difference. I am going to hook it up '50s wiring-style' and I think it will open the guitar up and make it even better (for the little money it's already an astonishing good guitar!). The only downside: shipping is so cheap it will arrive only in January......

(Well what can I say...I'm a tinkerer suffering from MOD-syndrome......)
    500k and 0.22, what they do for tone? Cleaner, darker?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Yeah, I agree, medblues. My eye likes the look of that Kiesel much better. Even though there is only one f-hole, it comes away looking more balanced somehow.
    Last edited by Flat; 12-31-2016 at 04:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Personally I think that f-holes on Telecaster bodies look out of place. It's a modern body design with a historically referenced f-hole. I am puzzled why the Thinline design stuck. I think that a more modern f-hole design (a la what Rickenbacker came up with) would be more fitting. (And yes, I do know that some Rick's came with the historic f-hole design. They looks pretty ridiculous to me as well.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Personally I think that f-holes on Telecaster bodies look out of place.
    I know what you mean. Sorta like an ashtray bridge on an L5.

It's a really tough thing to pull off in terms of design, I guess. My tele is a plank and my archtops have f-holes. My contrary personality rails against excesses of convention, but sometimes it just works.
    Last edited by Flat; 01-02-2017 at 08:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    ...It's a really tough thing to pull off in terms of design, I guess...
    I do like the aesthetics of ones that you and Hammertone posted. Somehow they close the loop for me as opposed to the typical Fender / G & L Thinlines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clean.M.A.C.
    500k and 0.22, what they do for tone? Cleaner, darker?
    Switching to higher value pots and a lower value cap will brighten the tone of the instrument.

With Fender style single coils is it pretty typical to use 250K pots and a .047 or .050 cap; with humbuckers, 500K pots and a .022 or .033 cap. Gibson also used 300K pots and .022 caps with humbuckers and P90s at different times, from what I have read, but I've never actually seen that for myself and it might be a myth or just pretty rare. I have used a 500K volume pot with a 250K tone pot in several overly bright guitars with humbuckers, on the recommendation of Kent Armstrong.

User Info Menu

Satan plays a Telecaster.

Here's a little tribute:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Switching to higher value pots and a lower value cap will brighten the tone of the instrument.

With Fender style single coils is it pretty typical to use 250K pots and a .047 or .050 cap; with humbuckers, 500K pots and a .022 or .033 cap. Gibson also used 300K pots and .022 caps with humbuckers and P90s at different times, from what I have read, but I've never actually seen that for myself and it might be a myth or just pretty rare. I have used a 500K volume pot with a 250K tone pot in several overly bright guitars with humbuckers, on the recommendation of Kent Armstrong.
    Yes, 500 and .022 should let more highs thru. My ES-125 has 500k pots and a .022uf cap in 50ies wiring configuration (pickup, pots and caps date from 1947) and I like that a lot so I figured I'd try that on my P90 thinline tele as well. We'll see if I like it or not. At the moment the tele is rather dark sounding.

User Info Menu

That's my '58 reissue, so resonant, love it! ( Not to mention the Princeton reverb...)

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0478-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Yes, 500 and .022 should let more highs thru. My ES-125 has 500k pots and a .022uf cap in 50ies wiring configuration (pickup, pots and caps date from 1947) and I like that a lot so I figured I'd try that on my P90 thinline tele as well. We'll see if I like it or not. At the moment the tele is rather dark sounding.
    Was a bit lazy and ordered a '50s wiring harness with 500K and .022uf orange drops for my full Mahogany Frank Caster to tame down a bit of the "potential" darkness should it be.
    Worst case I can always rewire the modern way if its too bright or change for .047uf
    This very weekend I start the Tru Oil treatment on Frank's body

User Info Menu

I keep trying them out in the store. They have always felt a little too big for my hands.

But, the reason I keep trying them is that I love the way they sound.

There is a video of Ted Greene playing a solo wedding gig on a Tele -- sounds like a chorus of angels.

User Info Menu

People, have you no concern for your Eternal Souls?

The UnDead play Telecasters! Repent!

User Info Menu

And boy ... the Strolling Bones are more like that every day it seems ...

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

I have owned three tele's in the past and, although I loved the feel of them, I was never totally happy with the sound of the front pickup for jazz. I thought about changing pickups, but in the end I never modded any of them and let them go instead. The other day I found a 1995 G&L ASAT Special in a pawn shop for a ridiculously low price, so I brought it home. I have only played it at home so far, but I think this may be the one for me. It has the feel of a vintage Fender, but the larger single coil MFD pickups seem to deliver the sound I have been looking for. Also, they have adjustable pole pieces, which is a must for me. I am really excited about this guitar.
    Keith
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpg