The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 2242

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpgwildwood tele with humbucker has been seeing a lot of action since I got it this year, from rock to jazz. it's just the thing

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Y'know, I read this thread which made me pull out me Squiffy Tele for a noodle.

I've been hanging out with an Epi Emp Reg some 2 months and Squiffy is just sooo easy to play, no thought needed.
    Just pick up, twiddle and play.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0609-478x640-jpg
    Squiffy set to go twanng.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0721-640x478-jpg
    Straight neck, no relief!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0722-640x478-jpg
    No resistance, glide baby!

Ahh!

It don't matter what Tele you got, designer this-mass produced what!
    No ifs and no buts-the suit remains the same cut!

User Info Menu

A Deluxe picked up used. Looks to be a 2008-2009.

Currently strung with flats.

I don't use it on gigs, but it's the one guitar I keep out of its case. Easy to grab and gets played everyday.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpg

User Info Menu

i just bought a used larrivee malibu tele.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-larrivee_malibu_stoptail_rw_tobacco_burst_e-gitarre_1-jpg

User Info Menu

LOL

it has seen a few gigs, but I generally stick to my archtops for gigging.

At this point I'm more confident using them as I'm fairly new to the Tele world.

User Info Menu

I built my own .... with a lot of help from MJT.

Homage to a well used 1957.

Neck is a treat, big "V" with a 7 1/2" radius fretboard.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc_0476-1-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc_0477-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    LOL

it has seen a few gigs, but I generally stick to my archtops for gigging.

At this point I'm more confident using them as I'm fairly new to the Tele world.
    Unacceptable ;-)

Seriously, an archtop is like a suit, though. Sometimes you need to dress up a bit haha. I do use archtops sometimes, but I really like having the flexibilty of a Tele, and the sound for jazz is as good as any of the archies I own (I'm sure I'd feel different if I got a Sadowsky or something). I've preferred single coils for jazz for a while though... I admit I'm probably in a minority.

I also like the idea of an essentially genre neutral guitar - I think Adam Rogers said that about his 335. The Tele doesn't dictate how you play. If you play an archtop you are making out that you are a 'jazz guitarist' or a Jazz Guitarist. Not itself a bad thing, of course, but ATM I'd rather be a jazz musician who plays the guitar, if that makes any sense at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'm not sure if that's really a Tele any more. Pretty guitar though!
    Sure it is. Tele body , swamp ash, bolt on maple/rosewood fingerboard.

It's got a 12-16" radius, 6105 frets and PAF style pickups so not only can I play jazz on it but its also an awesome fusion guitar and with coil taps get a decent twang as well.

This is what I've been looking for.

User Info Menu

Well, the twang is only one thing a tele does...think about Ed Bickert, for example...I wonder if he even knows if his bridge pickup works?

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20140914_082237_1_zps30eb091b-jpg

In other tele news, hey, found an actual picture of mine!

User Info Menu

Not Jazz as such but great tune, playing and guitar none the less.

User Info Menu

I am very happy with new My Ron Kirn Tele. It pretty much is a straight ahead ash bodied Tele some nice features like a compound 9.5"-12" radiused rosewood fingerboard, 6125 stainless steel frets, Birdseye maple neck, Callaham bridge, and Klein Nocaster pickups. I play it with nickel round wounds 0.011" to 0.048". I use it to play electric blues and rock of my youth. I frankly don't use it for jazz but It has a nice tone and I suppose I could. It's neck PU has a thick, beautiful timbre.

User Info Menu

I wanted a dual humbucker tele. And then they came out with the blacktop tele, I rewired it with dimarzio 36 anniversary pafs, with a push pull pot to change between series and parallel on the neck pickup... I get full bodied jazz tone and can get a acousticy comp tone with the push pull... Joe glaser did the work and set it up for me, then they come out with an American one finally!!!!! Now I gotta save up to get that one.

But seriously I got the blacktop used for 200 and it sounds amazing!!!

User Info Menu

The special edition that I am Jones- ing for right now!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    wow great player , thanks for that , i checked
    out his other stuff on utube too , really great

saw him in an interview doing his country thing ..... chops !

i just got how much of that country stuff is coming from the tonic being a dom7 chord ...

omg thanks man
    epithany !
    Guthrie trapp literally changed my life and mind about country guitar once I worked out a few of his solos I discovered a few commonalities with jazz funnily enough "triad pairs!"

This was my first introduction it melted my face! I immediately slowed it down and learned it. There is also a great interview online look up Greg V and Guthrie trapp short film you will find it...

Happy picking
    Last edited by 55bar; 09-03-2015 at 04:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Classic Vibe 50s Tele. Good example. Changed neck p/u to SD Alnico II, pickguard to thin bakelite version, bridge = Wilkinson + adjustable saddles, jack socket to Switchcraft. E.Ball Slinkys ( 10s ) to maintain some 'chime' ( flatwounds on all other guitars ). Does it all. Perhaps the one guitar that will always stay here. Low cost project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    I think I understand what you are saying.

Except that's how comfortable I feel with my archtop (in terms of its applicability to many forms of music). I'd like to think that its the musician that brings the music to the table versus the guitar itself.
    I would't bother trying to understand what I'm saying too much as being purposefully a bit silly ;-) But I do like the transparency of my new toy.

That said, I would like to think that the musician is the important thing, but there's no question that when I need to play a more modern style of guitar (such as something more rocky), an archtop is no good. That's why loads of pros play 335's I guess... it's 'archtoppy' enough to look like a jazz guitar but can be used for more modern playing too....

Back in the 50's the archtop was capable of playing contemporary music (such as rock'n'roll or R&B), so the instrument kind of had a different social function. These days it feels like you are making a statement picking up an instrument like this. It's a funny one. I'm probably overthinking.

Bottom line is it's nice to be able to bring one axe to a gig and not have to think too much.

User Info Menu

my barney kessel actually get a killer fusion tone. With my kemper set to a dumble tone the tone on my kessel is as good as any standalone fusion axe I've ever owned. The only real problem is that the shared string set (.012 flats) makes it hard to bend notes and then there's the feedback...

I would't bother trying to understand what I'm saying too much as being purposefully a bit silly ;-) But I do like the transparency of my new toy.

That said, I would like to think that the musician is the important thing, but there's no question that when I need to play a more modern style of guitar (such as something more rocky), an archtop is no good. That's why loads of pros play 335's I guess... it's 'archtoppy' enough to look like a jazz guitar but can be used for more modern playing too....

Back in the 50's the archtop was capable of playing contemporary music (such as rock'n'roll or R&B), so the instrument kind of had a different social function. These days it feels like you are making a statement picking up an instrument like this. It's a funny one. I'm probably overthinking.

Bottom line is it's nice to be able to bring one axe to a gig and not have to think too much.

User Info Menu

this thread is not helping my GAS for a tele...not at all...neither is this video...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    my barney kessel actually get a killer fusion tone. With my kemper set to a dumble tone the tone on my kessel is as good as any standalone fusion axe I've ever owned. The only real problem is that the shared string set (.012 flats) makes it hard to bend notes and then there's the feedback...
    The feedback would be the issue. Archtops sound fat through a bit of drive. Great for the studio - although like you say flatwound/heavy strings do tend to dampen down on the histrionics....

A lot of posters here have their Tele's set up with flats by the sound of it. I'm playing a set of .11 round wounds on mine, not quite ideal for bop...

User Info Menu

The feedback would be the issue. Archtops sound fat through a bit of drive. Great for the studio - although like you say flatwound/heavy strings do tend to dampen down on the histrionics....

A lot of posters here have their Tele's set up with flats by the sound of it. I'm playing a set of .11 round wounds on mine, not quite ideal for bop...
    I can play quite loud through a dumble tone without feedback on the bridge pickup of the kessel and if I tape the F-Holes, it's a non issue. The problem is that the guitar is too fat for rhythm playing.

11s on a tele should be no problem for jazz. Lots of guys are playing straight-ahead jazz with that setup. The issue on the tele is that if you have the action set low for chickin' pickin' it doesn't sound good for clean jazz.

User Info Menu

I was very attracted to the Larrivée Bakersfield a couple years ago, but I did not move fast enough I guess. Since then, they have become very rare and hard to find. Moreover, at the time, $ CAD was about on par with $ US; it's a different story now...

User Info Menu

Just remembered why I wanted to play jazz on a telecaster my hero: go to 2:00 for a killing solo.

User Info Menu

Oh and Ben Jones too 1:00 for solo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    Just remembered why I wanted to play jazz on a telecaster my hero: go to 2:00 for a killing solo.

Ah, Morrisey Mullen at the Half Moon in Putney! Thanks for reminding me.

Jim Mullen is the man, check this out. CM77, I hope this video is allowed? It features an A*****p.

I love the fact he plays an Aria now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Ah, Morrisey Mullen at the Half Moon in Putney! Thanks for reminding me.

Jim Mullen is the man, check this out. CM77, I hope this video is allowed? It features an A*****p.

I love the fact he plays an Aria now.
    I make exceptions for Jim.

I remember him telling me he liked to play a telecaster because he could 'get a swing with it' - for defending himself against hells angels etc in rough 1970's music venues.
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-04-2015 at 04:51 AM.