Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
Posts 1,351 to 1,400 of 1431
  1. #1351

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    you don't even need a hardtail strat..some would argue that the back trem cavity and spring system contributes to the strat tone (ry cooder said it early on!)...

    look into squier bullet hh..lightweight basswood body..very resonant...standard sized humbuckers can be easily replaced



    cheers
    As did Eric Clapton, and as do I. Its a subtle effect, but its there. When I got my PRS CU 24s, the first thing I did was to remove the trem arms and adjust the bridge to float about 1/8" above the body. Then I adjusted the springs to optimize ring. It's notable that each guitar, though identical in every respect save top wood, had a different resonance - E (red maple, 10 top, dense curl) G (red maple, 10 top denser curl) and B (pacific coast quilted maple, 10 top insane figure).

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #1352

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    As did Eric Clapton, and as do I. Its a subtle effect, but its there. When I got my PRS CU 24s, the first thing I did was to remove the trem arms and adjust the bridge to float about 1/8" above the body. Then I adjusted the springs to optimize ring. It's notable that each guitar, though identical in every respect save top wood, had a different resonance - E (red maple, 10 top, dense curl) G (red maple, 10 top denser curl) and B (pacific coast quilted maple, 10 top insane figure).
    beautiful!


    ec was also known to block the trem...with a wood block of sorts...but leave the springs intact..as it added to the resonance of the guitar

    the springs are definitely part of the tone..remember springs are used in reverb tanks!

    cheers

  4. #1353

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    The pickups are a "vintage" alnico 5 set I got from E-dis pickups
    Meggy, are those pick-ups really as good as the blurb on the site says? And are they expensive? "E-mail for a quote" sounds ominous...

    My strats do have trem bridges FWIW, but I just have them set hard against the body with 5 springs.
    Doesn't that make unwanted noises from the springs transmitted to the body? I'm just asking out of curiosity; don't have a Stratocaster.

  5. #1354

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    Meggy, are those pick-ups really as good as the blurb on the site says? And are they expensive? "E-mail for a quote" sounds ominous...



    Doesn't that make unwanted noises from the springs transmitted to the body? I'm just asking out of curiosity; don't have a Stratocaster.
    Zina - in fact the pickups were fairly inexpensive - under £100 delivered from Croatia to the UK. They are very neatly made, and despite being alnico 5 magnets, have a warm, sweet tone, while still being stratty also. The maker often has an ebay advert listed for the same pickups, including at the moment: Hand wound Single Coil pickups set fit Fender Startocaster by e-dis pickups | eBay

    - just something I tried that worked out for me anyhow, I know there are lots of good pickups out there to choose from.

    Regarding noises being transmitted to the body, I have to say I've never noticed anything at all, no problems there, but that is just my experience.

    Edit: just to add about the "are they as good as the blurb says?" question - kind of hard to answer, because it's a subjective thing regarding tone and response. I can only say that having tried quite a few different sets of strat pickups, on several guitars I've built, that these pickups are for my taste extremely good, and I'm still very glad I took a chance and put in an order. Good enough that I'm likely to order a second set some time, even though I don't need them at the moment (I may try the "Modern Hot" option, just for variety, but I really do like the Vintage set).

  6. #1355

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for the information; that's helpful. I like his emphasis on neatly separated defined lows and gentle highs.

  7. #1356

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Picked up the Pro Tone Fat Tele last week. Well constructed Squire. Only needed a slight truss rod & low E saddle adjustment. Wiring under the hood looks clean. Electronics & neck humbucker seem pretty decent for a Squier. According to some forums it came from the Cort factory and soon after the short 2 year run of these sounds like Cort started making the G&L Tribute series. So far not any issues adjusting to the neck. I got the pickup dialed in with with GHS boomers 10's. Might give the Brite Flats a whirl later. Will revisit this post after a couple of months of gigging with this.
    Well I guess I am more of an acoustic and or hollowbody archtop guy. Personally could not get back into solidbody electrics. Sold the squire.

  8. #1357

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    (to Greentone)...musikraft builds very high quality stuff...out of nj usa!...the neck pictured looks like a beauty..with the grain running straight parallel..beautiful...and louisville slugger beefy for them that likes 'em like that...
    glad your back in tele-ville...looking forward to this build - cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yeah…sigh….it was time to share the joy. It was so similar to my Monty tele, there was no point. The existing hardware is all going onto a tele that will look sort of like this Fiesta Red example, with a very odd mystery neck (1 7/8" at nut, 1 1/8" deep, no truss rod). I'll post pix of it when it's up and running:
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Ahh! Fender Champ steel guitar logo from the 50s. D'oh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    No truss rod?!? Why? Just because you can? (Can't think of any advantage....?) I like my truss rods..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yes, because I can! Different sound without a trussrod. Fender's first teles had no truss rods and had pine bodies (this one is ash), so all the cool kids are trying that out, led by that young whippersnapper Rick Kelly over at Carmine St. Guitars.
    While I'm rummaging around this corner of things...I posted this waybackwhen, but it seems to have disappeared. Again...Monty toploader ash body in Fiesta Red, toploader bridge w/Rutters saddles, Budz pups, neck w/no trussrod, 1 7/8" nut, 1 1/8" deep from stem to stern. An interesting flavour of Tele.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-24-2020 at 09:39 PM.

  9. #1358

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    Thanks for the information; that's helpful. I like his emphasis on neatly separated defined lows and gentle highs.
    @Zina; No problem - I had forgotten what the maker said on his website to be honest, although I must have read and considered it at one point before buying. But I guess I can say, from a year or more of actually using the pickups, that I would agree with his description - broadly speaking, they are strat pickups, and sound like strat pickups, but that said, the highs for me do have a soft/breathy kind of quality compared to many other strat pickups that can be a bit more biting and agressive in nature. And for jazz chord work, the tones do seem nicely defined, and with a pleasing evenness also.

    If you're seriously considering buying, with intention to use a strat for jazz, then I do think you could do a lot worse. I admit I was giving e-dis pickups a bit of a plug, but just because I'm a happy customer, and also because the Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios of this world get plenty of free mentions, but less so the smaller makers. I think you might find a few demos of the pickups on Youtube if you searched (of varying playing quality, and sadly not jazz) but it might help a bit all the same. And of course as you know, the guitar itself, amp, tone settings, and fingers all make a huge influence on results too. But certainly in my humble opinion, nice pickups.
    Last edited by Meggy; 01-25-2020 at 05:54 AM.

  10. #1359

    User Info Menu

    So many different Telecasters, I play whatever shows up at the local Mom & Pop store, learning as I go and focusing on the feel of the neck as I play. That part of the "user interface" varies widely among Teles.

    This month a couple of Fender 1952 reissues showed up (2013 and 2016) and it took all of 10 seconds to succumb to the charm of the neck. Notably fuller in the palm than anything else I've played, but not a Nocaster log. The 52 reissue has rolled edges, small frets and 7.25" radius. Easy playing, soft, comfortable old shoe kind of feel which makes the model stand apart from the others I've played.

  11. #1360

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Hi I'm an interloper from the land of the f hole ....

    Can I get advice ...
    Im thinking of putting together a cheap solid guitar
    to get (mainly) a decent clean jazz sound ...
    with a bit of funk too on the side

    I realise I'm asking the tele crowd ....but
    would a a hard tail strat do just as well for this ?

    im not gonna spend much money on this project
    Just get a beat up charity shop tele or strat and put some
    decent hardware on it ,
    or maybe I'll spend £100 on a cheap squire ... dunno

    should I look for a light or medium weight body ?
    light would be nice .... does light wood work for a clean sound ?
    I like a dark sound generally

    thank you very much
    A strat with a decent neck pickup and flat string (for example: Thomastik ) would do the job pretty well.
    I would get a little 59 for the neck position, or a little jeff beck. I had one little jeff beck in the neck position of a tele and sounded really good.
    BUT any pickup you put will not improve a bad instrument. A cheap squire might give you some headaches in other aspects... tunning, comfort etc.
    If you don't have any preferences I would recommend a Yamaha pacifica.
    Yamaha Pacifica 311H VW – Thomann United States
    A friend of mine have that from the link and that p90 sounds really gooood. A minor set up and the guitar is ready to gig.
    best and good luck!

  12. #1361

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    @Zina; No problem - I had forgotten what the maker said on his website to be honest, although I must have read and considered it at one point before buying. But I guess I can say, from a year or more of actually using the pickups, that I would agree with his description - broadly speaking, they are strat pickups, and sound like strat pickups, but that said, the highs for me do have a soft/breathy kind of quality compared to many other strat pickups that can be a bit more biting and agressive in nature. And for jazz chord work, the tones do seem nicely defined, and with a pleasing evenness also.

    If you're seriously considering buying, with intention to use a strat for jazz, then I do think you could do a lot worse. I admit I was giving e-dis pickups a bit of a plug, but just because I'm a happy customer, and also because the Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios of this world get plenty of free mentions, but less so the smaller makers. I think you might find a few demos of the pickups on Youtube if you searched (of varying playing quality, and sadly not jazz) but it might help a bit all the same. And of course as you know, the guitar itself, amp, tone settings, and fingers all make a huge influence on results too. But certainly in my humble opinion, nice pickups.
    Well, I'm almost certainly getting someone's Castoffaster (she's giving it away), which is set up like you described, and already sounds deep and warm instead of the trebly sound I thought all Stratocasters had.

    I'm going to keep it in DADGAD tuning, and think that those e-dis pick-ups would be perfect for that. The humbucker customer clip on his site sounds super-clean too, but he should upload some more himself, with the treble rolled off to various levels, or it's guesswork re. their staying clear and defined. If they do, I'll ask for more hours...

  13. #1362

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nick_wolf
    If you don't have any preferences I would recommend a Yamaha pacifica.
    Yamaha Pacifica 311H VW – Thomann United States
    A friend of mine have that from the link and that p90 sounds really gooood. A minor set up and the guitar is ready to gig.
    best and good luck!
    those look great to me
    great price too ...

    ive had trouble with locking tuners (can’t remember the make but they worked by some kind of self locking mechanism) snapping TI flats at the tuning head

    does anyone here have experience with these grover lockers with flats ?

  14. #1363

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    those look great to me
    great price too ...

    ive had trouble with locking tuners (can’t remember the make but they worked by some kind of self locking mechanism) snapping TI flats at the tuning head

    does anyone here have experience with these grover lockers with flats ?
    My tele has locking tuners, Fender branded...never had a problem with snapping flats.

  15. #1364

    User Info Menu

    Mine has Schaller locking tuners, I believe. No problems.

    EDIT: thumbwheel on the back.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 01-30-2020 at 09:10 PM.

  16. #1365

    User Info Menu

    Self locking type or thumbwheel on the back type ?

  17. #1366

    User Info Menu

    I have Hipshot thumbwheels on all four of my partscasters and Kluson Revolution thumbwheels on two of my Gibsons. Never had a single problem with any of them either with the tuners or flatwound strings.

  18. #1367

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I have Hipshot thumbwheels on all four of my partscasters and Kluson Revolution thumbwheels on two of my Gibsons. Never had a single problem with any of them either with the tuners or flatwound strings.
    thanks that’s good to hear ....

    the problem i had was defo with the self-locking types

  19. #1368

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Attachment 43462

    Just wonderin' -- Any love here for the snakehead Teles?
    I put this together for a friend as a spare for when he gigs, but he never needs it, so off it goes. The body just got sold, so I'll post the neck over in the For Sale area sometime soon. Very cool item - could be right or lefty!

  20. #1369

    User Info Menu

    What are the specs on the neck again?

  21. #1370

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    What are the specs on the neck again?
    1-piece birds-eye maple, walnut skunk stripe, clear satin finish
    nut width - 1.67" | 1 43/64"
    nut - black TUSQ

    Standard Thin profile (.80" - .85"):
    -actual neck depth at first fret - .79"
    -actual neck depth at 12th fret - .84"
    -frets - 6105
    -neck radius - looks like straight 9.5" to me (I need to confirm this)
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-19-2020 at 01:51 AM.

  22. #1371

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    Well, I'm almost certainly getting someone's Castoffaster (she's giving it away), which is set up like you described, and already sounds deep and warm instead of the trebly sound I thought all Stratocasters had.

    I'm going to keep it in DADGAD tuning, and think that those e-dis pick-ups would be perfect for that. The humbucker customer clip on his site sounds super-clean too, but he should upload some more himself, with the treble rolled off to various levels, or it's guesswork re. their staying clear and defined. If they do, I'll ask for more hours...
    sorry, only just seen this Zina - and I do think you'll like the pickups. Hard to assess things just from Youtube clips I know!

  23. #1372

    User Info Menu

    My new (to me) 50’s Classic. MIM, Two tone burst, nitro finish, fat C 50’s neck. Picture here with my blond nitro PartsCaster with Lollar CC pickup.

    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-ce3696f9-c9e9-46a6-b114-9219009b4ff4-jpg

  24. #1373

    User Info Menu

    I love the look of Teles with Charlie Christian pickups but have never laid hands on one. I'm familiar with P90, Humbucker, and single coil pickups in Tele necks and each brings something different to the table.

    How would you describe the tone of a neck CC p'up?

  25. #1374

    User Info Menu

    Git, I think the word I would use is dynamic. I think it was Tim Lerch that said that these pu’s “hear the winding on the strings”. That’s an apt description. They provide great clarity and can tend to be a bit bright. But, they respond exceptionally well when you roll back the tone. It’s the perfect jazz Tele sound, IMO. They are also great for blues. Add a little overdrive with a Tubscreamer and you get a really nice gritty tone if you push them. They are great pickups.

  26. #1375

    User Info Menu

    The final transformation of my 50’s Classic is underway. The new pickguard arrived today, and the new pickups will go in this coming weekend.

    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-069b3067-41c0-4623-9efe-a7a4215e80d0-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-87767ba9-b7a2-4f33-911c-106700afd5f4-jpg

  27. #1376

    User Info Menu

    Slightly off-topic: will a thin-line Telecaster still do that original, sort of quickly decaying, dry, woody 'plunk plunk' sound, or add (much) more 'airy' resonance and sustain?

  28. #1377

    User Info Menu

    No, it still sounds like a regular tele, usually just lighter body weight.

  29. #1378

    User Info Menu

    Thanks; that's what I was hoping.

  30. #1379

    User Info Menu

    Had a thinline for a while, it was actually the brightest of my teles, but that could have been pickup/pots and all that too.

  31. #1380

    User Info Menu

    I'll have the treble on the amp far down already, but thank you for the warning.

  32. #1381

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    I'll have the treble on the amp far down already, but thank you for the warning.
    Yeah, it certainly wasn't unmanageable.

    Actually, the best trick for taming a tele is to run the guitar's volume just short of all the way up.

  33. #1382

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Actually, the best trick for taming a tele is to run the guitar's volume just short of all the way up.

    Completely agree. It's rare for me to have either the volume or tone pots all the way up. Usually somewhere around 60%-75% up...every guitar's sweet spot is different. But even a tiny roll down of the volume pot...anything below full-up...will tame some highs. Unless you have a treble-bleed circuit...

    I love Thinlines and have had several over the years. My mahogany MIM '69RI has been a favorite for a long time.

    These two came yesterday. The Fender came early in the day and I loved it so much that I was worried I would be disappointed with the G&L when it arrived. But it turns out I love them both. They're obviously very different, and they both seem to have their strengths.

    The Fender just sounds like a Fender should. And I really dig the thin-skin finish. And I think it's about as light as a tele could be without neck-dive issues.

    The G&L feels like a modern guitar trying to be a vintage guitar...but I mean that in a good way. The neck pickup on the G&L is incredible.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-thinline-jpg Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-asat-jpg 
    Last edited by morroben; 02-25-2020 at 03:13 PM.

  34. #1383

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Actually, the best trick for taming a tele is to run the guitar's volume just short of all the way up.
    Ah... I'm not the only one who hears that!

    I recently acquired a reissue 51 Nocaster with the old (original?) switch configuration. With the switch towards the neck, the neck pickup has a fixed warm sound. At first I though it odd, but it's growing on me! Tone control does nothing except fade between bridge and neck when the switch is closer to the bridge.

  35. #1384

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by morroben

    Completely agree. It's rare for me to have either the volume or tone pots all the way up. Usually somewhere around 60%-75% up...every guitar's sweet spot is different. But even a tiny roll down of the volume pot...anything below full-up...will tame some highs. Unless you have a treble-bleed circuit...

    I love Thinlines and have had several over the years. My mahogany MIM '69RI has been a favorite for a long time.

    These two came yesterday. The Fender came early in the day and I loved it so much that I was worried I would be disappointed with the G&L when it arrived. But it turns out I love them both. They're obviously very different, and they both seem to have their strengths.

    The Fender just sounds like a Fender should. And I really dig the thin-skin finish. And I think it's about as light as a tele could be without neck-dive issues.

    The G&L feels like a modern guitar trying to be a vintage guitar...but I mean that in a good way. The neck pickup on the G&L is incredible.
    +1 on the G&L Special's jumbo pups. Like P-90s with a college degree.

  36. #1385
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_4735-jpg

    1985 MIJ Rosewood Telecaster. Terribly heavy, but a must have for any Beatles Tribute act. I have played a bit go jazz on it too.

  37. #1386

    User Info Menu

    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-f2612e6d-8e56-4f9d-8a30-cb33b283c0d4-jpeg

    Saw these MIJ used guitars at my local second hand shop in Tokyo the other day.

  38. #1387
    Wow, you don't see three in a row that often. I read that in the mid 80s approximately 1500 were produced. There's some variation in bridge saddles (3 vs 6) tuners and other things.

  39. #1388

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I'm diggin' my tele thinline from RAM Guitars in Chicago -- yes, it's not a "classic" tele, but it's mighty nice!

    Attachment 23047

    I generally tend to like traditional Teles best. But I really like yours. Bet it sounds killer.

  40. #1389

    User Info Menu

    I just purchased a new Fender Vintera '60s Modfied Tele in Lake Placid Blue and with a pau ferro fretboard. I really was surprised at how good the pickups and electronics are. Nice, fat tone for single coil Tele pickups. The neck feels great too. I really like it. I would normally change the stock pickups to some model of Don Mares. But in this case I'll leave them stock. The stock pickups sound that good.

    Just bought a new Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb amp to plug it into. Killer amp with great tone. This from a lifelong tube snob and boutique amp/guitar junkie. Me?? A SS amp fan?? NEVER!! Yeah, right. I sure am now.

    Anyway, this Tele is wonderful. I was always a maple neck and fret board fan. But I really like the feel and playability of the pau ferro fretboard. I highly recommend these guitars.
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 03-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.

  41. #1390

    User Info Menu

    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-602b233a-26c0-421e-8625-929273699d66-jpg
    Played my Thinline 6 hrs. today @ home.
    Tellys are the ultimate guitars, especially into an old Champ.

  42. #1391

    User Info Menu

    Those "baby Fenders" are tone beasts.

  43. #1392

    User Info Menu

    New here and a tele addict!! here's my number 1 and number 2!






  44. #1393

    User Info Menu

    These are my two girls, a '96 MIJ 50th Anniversary Tele, and my '13 MIM Baja Tele. The Bajas are awesome if anyone is looking for a reasonably priced but fantastic Telecaster.


  45. #1394

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    The Bajas are awesome if anyone is looking for a reasonably priced but fantastic Telecaster.


    The Bajas have the best neck of any stock tele I've ever played.

    When I parted together my own tele, I went for a big, soft V shaped neck, because of the Baja.

  46. #1395

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The Bajas have the best neck of any stock tele I've ever played.

    When I parted together my own tele, I went for a big, soft V shaped neck, because of the Baja.
    I actually had a squire baja that played so nice I put more money into it than I paid for it. I like to do it that way because you can do it over time.

  47. #1396

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by friendofjaco



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Well, she’s finally done! I haven’t owned many tele’s but this one is perfect! The Seth Lover in the neck is absolutely a gorgeous tone!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #1397

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by friendofjaco


    Well, she’s finally done! I haven’t owned many tele’s but this one is perfect! The Seth Lover in the neck is absolutely a gorgeous tone!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Needs an Allen wrench taped to the pickguard

  49. #1398

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by friendofjaco


    Well, she’s finally done! I haven’t owned many tele’s but this one is perfect! The Seth Lover in the neck is absolutely a gorgeous tone!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice, thats a nice Micawber style!

  50. #1399

    User Info Menu

    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-38e008bb-525f-4799-acdc-d955dd68511b-jpg
    a regular US std strat fitted with Duncan 59. A set of flatwound 11s and it wont be the sound people complain about when I am playing...

  51. #1400

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by friendofjaco


    Well, she’s finally done! I haven’t owned many tele’s but this one is perfect! The Seth Lover in the neck is absolutely a gorgeous tone!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dig that style! Nice combination of colours and woods. My next tele will have a humbucker.

    Pool table as a workbench? How decadent! Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed

    Play and enjoy it in good health!