The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 27 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Posts 651 to 675 of 2243

User Info Menu

Jim's awesome...had he really not been mentioned? Shame indeed.

His "table for one" is one of my all time favorite guitar records...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

jim c learned from the best..jimmie rivers!

jim c posted this on tdpri a few years back

called it the student & the master

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-jimmie-rivers-jim-23-club-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

here with the wonderful Stephan Crump, who has a great duo with Mary Halvorson as well-Secret Keeper

has anyone tried the Distillery pedal that was made for Jim?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Definitely his "jazziest."

I like most of his stuff, but I prefer him more weird and introspective as opposed to the "guitar instrumental" riffy stuff. But that can be fun too.
    I pretty much like all his stuff, including the western-swingy stuff with the 10 Gallon Cats. My least favorite album is the new one, Dream Dictionary. It has less of what I love about Jim in it... hard to explain... I know he was listening to alot of Miles Davis while writing and recording Dream Dictionary...

I did make a playlist I call "Mellow Jim" which is a compilation of all his stuff like "Chelsea Bridge" bridge, above... the entire Table For One album is on it LOL. And alot of Live at Du Nord.

User Info Menu

yeah man

cheers

btw- that's filmed in the same club (23 club in brisbane ca) that the brisbane bop tapes were recorded..place just closed down a few years ago
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-28-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: btw-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    I'm considering one of these for my Am Standard Tele which has a humbucker rout under the pickguard already. A few questions:

- Did you have to do any routing on the body to get it to fit? It looks wider than a humbucker rout.
    - How is the balance, especially on the plain 3rd string? I have problems with the 3rd string being too loud.
    - How would you compare it sound-wise with a standard tele neck pup?
    - How's the balance with the bridge pup?

Thanks!

Yes, I had to do a lot of routing, both on the body and the pick guard. I also had to widen the route going from the pickup cavity to the control cavity as the wires wouldn’t fit. It was totally worth all the work though!

I think the balance is great, sounds good when play both chord melody stuff and single note lines.

Ill get back to you on that, I have a friend coming over and we are going to compare more closely. I will say I love this pickup more than any I’ve tried. With the amp cranked and the volume up a bit you can get that 40’s gritty tone like Christian and Junior Barnard. It also responds really well to the adjustment of the tone knob.

My bridge pickup is way louder, but thats because I didn’t get a new one. Tk sells a bridge pickup on his website that he recommends for the bridge that I might pickup eventually. For now, I’ve only been playing on the neck pickup.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2016-10-14-14-41-00-jpg 

User Info Menu

I haven’t seen this either so far on the thread. Most exciting tele & jazz video I’ve seen in a long time

Tele + tweed (+ that pair of hands) is an awesome combination

User Info Menu

Awesome tele tone and fantastic playing from Julian Lage

User Info Menu

... actually hearing this clip one might wonder why bother with an archtop? :-)

I'm not quite serious of course. There is something about the feel of an archtop that cannot be replicated by anything else. But then for playing life with a band the teles are light, small, sturdy, don't feedback, don't break the bank and can sound as awesome as Julian Lage or in the Tim Lerch clip where one is hard pressed to tell it apart from an archtop (... still love me a nice archtop)

anyways, thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

From what I’ve read it’s a stock ’54 telecaster through a vintage Fender Tweed Champ. On the record (Arclight), I think he predominantly played a Danocaster through a Tweed Super. In both cases, the sound is great.
    But I think that even with a much less expensive equipment you can get close to that wonderful jazz sound.
    My tele through a Fender Super Champ X2 set on the “Tweed Deluxe” voicing, with gain around 5, is in the same ballpark (I am actually pretty excited by the discovery, which I made just yesterday).
    So you don’t have to spend 25’000$ on your tele and another 2’000 on a 5-watter to have a great tele sound
    Those hands, by contrast, are not so easy to acquire …

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback! Surely wasn't planning to buy expensive vintage gear :-) do you know what strings he is using? In my experience the high e string can sound a bit thin on teles unless one goes up in gauge. My guess is he is using a set of 0.011 or or 0.012 roundwounds rather than flatwounds?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    ... sorry for spamming - what model tele is Lage playing there? Is it stock?
    Its a 54 telecaster that was refinished in 57!

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/tel...k-julian-lage/

User Info Menu

I don't remember in this 34 page thread whether I have posted a picture of my tele? That Julian Lage clip inspired me to record a bit today and see whether I can get a nice jazz tone from my tele.

Anyways, I like it a lot. It is a Warmth tele that I put together myself. It has a swamp ash body, maple neck but then many unusual features such as a ebony fretboard with a compound radius, three pickups, high-tech nut, elaborate electronics with a five way switch with S1 switch. The pickups are bareknuckle pickups. I guess broadcaster 50 or something like that. it also has a nice flame maple laminate top that Warmth nicely finished. I can really recommend Warmoth. They are doing nice stuff at reasonable prices

Here are some sound clips where I play the melody, comp a chorus and then solo. The amp was my trusty Fender twin, SM57 into Focusrite into Garageband. The reverb is a Mad professor silver spring that I actually prefer over the amps reverb (that IMHO has a decay that is too long). I think there are some nice sounds there. Never mind the playing. It is all first take and no attempt for perfection was made (couldn't anyways :-)).

and here are some fairly old pictures:

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc_0109_zpsac3f2ccf-jpg
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc_0119_zps7d3d4a71-jpg

User Info Menu

^^^ Block inlay on ebony is classy on a Tele!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    Thanks for the feedback! Surely wasn't planning to buy expensive vintage gear :-) do you know what strings he is using? In my experience the high e string can sound a bit thin on teles unless one goes up in gauge. My guess is he is using a set of 0.011 or or 0.012 roundwounds rather than flatwounds?
    Hi Frank. I’ve looked it up and he uses .11s with a wound third, while previously he used .12s. This seems to lend further support to what I recall our very own Mr.Beaumont saying, i.e. that with teles, soundwise, there is no big advantage in going above .11s (of course you may prefer the feel).

BTW, I like the looks and tone of your classy tele, very much!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Thanks - I'll be trying that with my SC X2 tonight !
    Let me know if you like it! I am sure I’ll need to refine it, but the basic sound is I think the best jazz sound I’ve been able to coax from tele + SCX2.
    Besides: if you have any other suggested settings, I’m all ears…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    Let me know if you like it! I am sure I’ll need to refine it, but the basic sound is I think the best jazz sound I’ve been able to coax from tele + SCX2.
    Besides: if you have any other suggested settings, I’m all ears…
    I like the Jazzmaster setting on my SCX2. I haven't tweaked anything with the FUSE software but may try that someday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    Hi Frank. I’ve looked it up and he uses .11s with a wound third, while previously he used .12s. This seems to lend further support to what I recall our very own Mr.Beaumont saying, i.e. that with teles, soundwise, there is no big advantage in going above .11s (of course you may prefer the feel).

BTW, I like the looks and tone of your classy tele, very much!
    these are certainly roundwounds, correct?

User Info Menu

My Strings? Yes, roundwounds. As far as roundwounds go, i am into Thomastik bebop for jazz but die hard d'Addario otherwise. This tele has a custom set where the core is standard d'Addario 10's (EXL ... whatever) but the high E and B replaced by 11 and 14 strings respectively. I do that because the high e (particularly) and B (less so) tend to sound a bit weak and plinky. In the recordings you can still kind of hear a bit of a struggle with the high e while the rest of the strings sound kind of nice and beefy (again minus the mediocre playing of mine). I may go up to 12 or move the pub closer to the strings on the treble side.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Thanks - I'll be trying that with my SC X2 tonight !
    Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I like the Jazzmaster setting on my SCX2. I haven't tweaked anything with the FUSE software but may try that someday.
    Jazzmaster is a good, more “modern" tone. The tweed deluxe is warmer (but also ever so slightly dirtier). Other candidates for further inquiry are channel1, the BF deluxe, and the twin… all of which can produce good blues tones. I’ll let you know if I make interesting finds…

User Info Menu

Was ready to order a custom build, but got an automated reply saying no orders will be taken until Jan.

Just as well. Waiting will tell me how badly I want one.

User Info Menu

I'm happy to finally be able to post in this thread. I had a Godin Kingpin that I wasn't bonding with, and I had telelust so after several months I was able to work out a trade. This was through a facebook group that involved three other people, ha! I just wanted to get my hands on a standard tele with a maple neck and this turned out to be just right. MIM 2014.

I installed the vintage style bridge (I only had the modern style on for a week, but I always wanted one with the 3 brass saddles... noticed a difference immediately). The only other thing I did was have a new bone nut made and installed for it (the G string was slipping with the slightest bend in first position... plus c'mon BONE).

I might swap out the pickups down the road but for now I'm gonna sit on Pandora's box.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-jpg

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2016-08-28-14-51-54-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2015-06-08-17-15-19-jpgStarted with korean tele, first by painting it, then added the SH1 in neck. Wanted more, so DIY from old pine the Telemaster with some cheap ceramic pups, but do sound great for me. .010 on telemaster, .011 on DaphneTele. Both through Ibanez TSA15 or SCX2 heads, preferrably on a 15" Eminence in DIY cab as well.

Nice! I love Telemasters.

User Info Menu

My tele.
    Thinline ash body with Duncan stack p90 PU.
    Elixir 012-052 strings

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5624-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5626-jpg
    Last edited by Tak; 11-05-2016 at 05:54 PM.