Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Posts 1,251 to 1,298 of 1298

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    I know your right . I’m finding that most Tele necks are 1.650 which is too small for me - but some are 1.685 , the later of which would be adequate.
    This post (currently) has 35 pages of tele examples and comments, many of them from "non-Fender" makers who will make whatever you ask them to make, and for reasonable prices. There's also the easy option of buying an inexpensive Squier, and then a Warmoth replacement neck with a 1 3/4" nut. The only problem here is there are too many options!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    This post (currently) has 35 pages of tele examples and comments, many of them from "non-Fender" makers who will make whatever you ask them to make, and for reasonable prices. There's also the easy option of buying an inexpensive Squier, and then a Warmoth replacement neck with a 1 3/4" nut. The only problem here is there are too many options!
    Well said. The choices are endless. When I get a chance I’ll visit Music Zoo and play a bunch. From a design standpoint - this is a very simple interchangeable build and thus the numerous offerings and options.

The key for me will be a lighter guitar with a nitro finish which has a lively resonant vibe - - nothing too heavy. Since I’m an acoustic Archtop guy - the unplugged vibe will be my deciding factor.

I know this is a Tele post - but I remember reading an article with Dicky Bett’s and he said the best way to pick out a Les Paul ( or for me a Tele) was in a quiet room unplugged. The better ones just ring like a bell with clarity and sustain.

User Info Menu

Well said. The choices are endless. When I get a chance I’ll visit Music Zoo and play a bunch. From a design standpoint - this is a very simple interchangeable build and thus the numerous offerings and options.

The key for me will be a lighter guitar with a nitro finish which has a lively resonant vibe - - nothing too heavy. Since I’m an acoustic Archtop guy - the unplugged vibe will be my deciding factor.

I know this is a Tele post - but I remember reading an article with Dicky Bett’s and he said the best way to pick out a Les Paul ( or for me a Tele) was in a quiet room unplugged. The better ones just ring like a bell with clarity and sustain.
    [and don't forget budget: the teles in this post range from $300 - 3,000 (and more!) USD!]

User Info Menu

Paul Reed Smith expressed the same sentiment to me. He's absolutely right.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Yup, no matter what guitar you are playing if you can feel the notes vibrating through you know you are onto a winner.
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow View Post
    Yup, no matter what guitar you are playing if you can feel the notes vibrating through you know you are onto a winner.
    I don’t think that there could be a more obvious point to reinforce. Funny though. On one of the Fender-type solid body forums there was a fairly recent thread started about how the unplugged sound of a guitar had no bearing on the plugged sound. A lot of people were buying it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200 View Post
    I don’t think that there could be a more obvious point to reinforce. Funny though. On one of the Fender-type solid body forums there was a fairly recent thread started about how the unplugged sound of a guitar had no bearing on the plugged sound. A lot of people were buying it.
    And yet the attack/decay envelope is there, amplified or not.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

This turned up at the local emporium last week. A Joe Strummer signature telecaster, seriously relic'd at the factory and then repainted and re-relic'd by a previous owner. Complete with original, factory installed rust on the tuner casings and a replacement - yet still tarnished - Joe Barden bridge and saddle.

I pulled it off the rack because of the beautifully dark rosewood fretboard. I'm not a widely experienced tele expert, but I must say that the neck on this guitar feel soft in the hand and with what I guess are "vintage style" frets, plays effortlessly! Quite a different feel from the 50's neck on my beloved old Gibson, but a delight all the same.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_20191103_175118-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky View Post
    This turned up at the local emporium this weekend. Joe Strummer signature telecaster, seriously relic'd at the factory and then repainted and re-relic'd by a previous owner. Complete with original, factory installed rust on the tuner casings and a replacement - yet still tarnished - Joe Barden bridge and saddle.

I pulled it off the rack because of the beautifully dark rosewood fretboard. I'm not a widely experienced tele expert, but I must say that the neck on this guitar feel soft in the hand and with what I guess are "vintage style" frets, plays effortlessly! Quite a different feel from the 50's neck on my beloved old Gibson, but a delight all the same.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_20191103_175118-jpg
    One of the more believable relic jobs I've seen too. I like this one a lot.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I'm with Jeff. That Tele is super.

User Info Menu

We have long maintained that with electric solid body guitars wood is just as important to tone as it is with acoustic guitars.

My friends and I make a habit of checking out all the cheap MIK/MIC "Squire" series of Teles and Strats at GC and playing them un-plugged. We buy the one that sounds the best un-plugged, take it home, take it apart, and replace all the electronics with USA components, and shield it. Then after tuning up the frets it gets re-assembled, re-strung and the action and intonation dialed in...voila! You have a guitar that sonically rivals some of the best custom shop jobs, but at a fraction of the price. As long as you are not OCD about the headstock decal, you are good to go.

As far as these relic guitars go, I just don't get it. Same goes for these supposed "Vintage" finishes. Why pay more for something that will happen eventually anyway? Besides, a good aged instrument that has been taken care of but has "patina" is worth far more than one that has phony aging. No matter how old a guitar looks, and how much it has been played, the virtuosity of the previous owners do not transfer to the new owner. For me showing up with a brand new "reliced" or VOS guitar is a vanity issue that would make me feel like a poser; trying to be more than what I am, as if that really matters anyway. Of course, for the Hipsters, since posing is what they are all about, I guess they are perfect.

User Info Menu

My favourite guitar is still my custom build Thinline, all handmade. Surrender to the twang:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-0a7db575-0c31-4227-a5a9-a8776fb3b6fd-jpg
    ...and a wonderful jazz tone!

User Info Menu

Uh oh, I did it again…

American Vintage 64 Tele

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_6797-jpg

Kinda reminds me of Ed’s and Robben's tele… not that the player is up to THAT standard

User Info Menu

The more I learn about dynamic playing and with a reduced equipment (just my vintage Fender Princeton Reverb and a Sweet Honey Overdrive) the more I love the Telecaster: the most challenging yet honest guitar.
    She absolutely doesn‘t forgive any mistake, but therefore she absolutely sounds like me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff View Post
    The more I learn about dynamic playing and with a reduced equipment (just my vintage Fender Princeton Reverb and a Sweet Honey Overdrive) the more I love the Telecaster: the most challenging yet honest guitar.
    She absolutely doesn‘t forgive any mistake, but therefore she absolutely sounds like me.
    Treat her right and she'll be your lady. Slap her around and she'll be your dirty girl.
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Odd, my pics come out sideways? My 68 in 75 and now. I guess just turn your monitor on it's side......

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-1975-timber-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-68-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    Odd, my pics come out sideways? My 68 in 75 and now. I guess just turn your monitor on it's side......

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-1975-timber-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-68-jpg
    Very cool, is it all original?

I got one that looks just like that, but it is a MiM from 95, but it is one of my favorite teles.
    Testing a Gibson ES335 vs Harley Benton HB 35 (very inexpensive semi hollow body guitar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fGMIs1wNEA&t=185s

Jamming the Jazz standard All the things you are
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUzDEct613g&t=3s

Playing a solo over my friends tune Cookies and Cream
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJHqt_lpyKM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost View Post
    Very cool, is it all original?

I got one that looks just like that, but it is a MiM from 95, but it is one of my favorite teles.
    I'm 8 years older and it has more original parts than I do. Play's wonderfully. But wait, I also have a very nice 1998. And oddly, it's sideways too! Maybe it's a Jersey thing.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fx-pedal-jpg

User Info Menu

The tele may be sideways but the vox is upside down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz View Post
    The tele may be sideways but the vox is upside down.
    Back in the day my SuperBeatle only worked up-side down. I thought I was just lucky.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

I played several Telecasters today at TMZ including the new Rarity series. I was searching for one to play some chord melody. None were were very inspiring until I picked up the Britt Daniel thinline Telecaster.
    It’s a beautiful Amarillo gold color - and it’s a Nitro finish.

When I think of Jazz chord melody playing on a Telecaster - the Britt Daniel checked all boxes for my preferences.

It was light weight and resonant and had a nice unplugged vibe. The neck was a deep C with a 1.685 nut which is necessary for me. Its an ash body which houses two Custom shop hand ( over) wound pickups with the S1 switch - which supports parallel and series options. The tone was clean and articulate but had a fatness / richness not found on many of the others - most of which were very heavy. It also had a nice wide polished fret with smooth playability and beautiful fit and finish.

I’m not a Telecaster player, and know very little about these guitars..... or anything about Britt Daniel - but I really liked this guitar and wanted to share this experience.

This is a recent model - and the demos on You Tube do not showcase the true capability of this guitar for jazz chord melody.

I’m wondering if any of the Telecaster experts on this post have had a chance to play this model. If so , what are your thoughts.

Here is a link to Fender website

Britt Daniel Tele(R) Thinline | Electric Guitars

User Info Menu

qm- have not played...but maple neck and texas special neck pup would not be my first thought for jazzer tele..but sometimes things just click...sounds like you like neck feel and resonance..and that's important..caveat is, with fenders no 2 are exactly alike..gotta act fast when you find the right one..the next one may not do it

thinlines are always nice..and series/parallel switching is nice extra

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    qm- have not played...but maple neck and texas special neck pup would not be my first thought for jazzer tele..but sometimes things just click...sounds like you like neck feel and resonance..and that's important..caveat is, with fenders no 2 are exactly alike..gotta act fast when you find the right one..the next one may not do it

cheers
    Neatomic,
    Thanks for the feedback. I would have thought a rosewood board and other pu's would be more suitable, but nothing really spoke to me. But your comment about no two are alike is very true. I played several Teles of the same model and all were very different.

If you have any suggestions for me that would be helpful.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    I'm 8 years older and it has more original parts than I do. Play's wonderfully. But wait, I also have a very nice 1998. And oddly, it's sideways too! Maybe it's a Jersey thing.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-fx-pedal-jpg
    That one looks very nice as well! Is that abalone inlays?
    Testing a Gibson ES335 vs Harley Benton HB 35 (very inexpensive semi hollow body guitar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fGMIs1wNEA&t=185s

Jamming the Jazz standard All the things you are
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUzDEct613g&t=3s

Playing a solo over my friends tune Cookies and Cream
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJHqt_lpyKM

User Info Menu

cheers
    I strongly agree. A solidbody electric is literally two or thee pieces of wood, each with particular resonant frequencies. An archtop has many separate pieces under dynamic tension, with their resonances (hopefully) balanced to create a harmonious whole. Solid-body tonal characteristics in an industrial environment are mostly serendipitous. A lengthy search may be needed, but the results may also be worth the effort. Fortunately tastes differ, so one man's cup of tea may be another's espresso.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Neatomic,
    Thanks for the feedback. I would have thought a rosewood board and other pu's would be more suitable, but nothing really spoke to me. But your comment about no two are alike is very true. I played several Teles of the same model and all were very different.

If you have any suggestions for me that would be helpful.
    id suggest alder body..rosewood neck..

this has deep c and 1.685 width you desire....v mod pickups place alnico II magnets under just b&e string of neck -pup...for more warmth...rest have typical alnico v

looks good on paper...if you encounter give it a go

Fender American Professional Telecaster - 3-Color Sunburst with Rosewood Fingerboard

Access to this page has been denied.

(link seems to work despite ^)

cheers

User Info Menu

id suggest alder body..rosewood neck..

this has deep c and 1.685 width you desire....v mod pickups place alnico II magnets under just b&e string of neck -pup...for more warmth...rest have alnico v

looks good on paper...if you encounter give it a go

Access to this page has been denied.

cheers
    Ill certainly check out that American Professional with the Rosewood board as you suggested. I might head back to TMZ tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here is my Fender Thinline, that is one of a kind. I was looking for a lightweight Tele and found this in a shop. It is basically a Fender Select Thinline from 2013. For 2 or 3 years the Fender Selects were the highest level production (non CS) guitars in the Fender line. Also, for a couple of years Fender had a program called American Design Experience where a customer could go to the Fender Visitors Center in Corona CA and order a guitar with custom features with the help of master builders there. That program turned into an online only thing, but this guitar was created by a customer in person who ordered three unique guitars, two Teles and a Strat. It's an ash body with a flame maple top. The main differences from the regular Select Thinline Tele are a hand finished Dark Green Amber burst finish, a see-through rear stain, and a flame maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. So it's the only one there is with these exact specs. It's only 6 pounds and I really like the neck-modern C, compound radius. I also really like the Select pickups, unique to the Select series, voiced between vintage and modern pickups. I played it next to an American Professional, and and American Elite in the shop, and much preferred these pickups. I'm quite enjoying it. It looks like the previous owner didn't play it much, I found it near mint with very little fret ware.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-s-l1600-1-jpg Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-hor5-jpg Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-thinline-hor2-jpg 
    Last edited by picodogg; 11-15-2019 at 04:06 PM.

User Info Menu

so many beauties here! GAS for a telecaster

User Info Menu

My favorite Jazz tele is a all stock Fender short scale with original Guild neck pickup and 7 year old flat wounds.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-b14618e879f4b4ead895735a63aee4e9-970-80-jpg

User Info Menu

My 98 Thinline pictured above. Posted this clip in showcase thread but putting here in tele land. One of my tunes that was actually picked up by the weather channel for a few years for their local forecast music.

Here's Weather Channel version

Last edited by mmuller; 11-16-2019 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Although I love my latest Tele (of 4 or 5 over the past 20 years) and have shared it in this thread as eye candy, I’ve decided to say Farewell and Adieu to 25.5” scale. (A Les Paul Special is coming to console me momentarily.)

This instrument was put together by NoCal luthier Michael Walker from the elements I had assembled, namely a spalted maple-top mahogany body, a C-shaped pau ferro neck with a Brazilian fretboard, and Pete Biltoft’s Charlie Christian pickups. 8 pounds of tonal density with pianistic clarity.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-6a6de8f8-5c7e-41cf-a7c2-b4cd50d91713-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-993bd8cc-767f-430f-a7fc-1b3a0184b059-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-00bc6199-3f0b-4134-abb4-924b89f27ad6-jpg

If you know anyone looking for this sort of Tele, send them to my JGO ad from yesterday:
    Quilter TB 202, Tele Biltoft CC, Radial Headbone, more

...or to Robert’s Excessories @Reverb.
    Robert Hill Long
    Ferndale California
    rhl.photography

User Info Menu

Rhl-ferndale, gorgeous Tele. I was working up X-mas songs for December gigs. I played the Tele Custom into a Tweed Deluxe. The pure tone of the neck pickup reading the 25-1/2" scale was wonderful.

It makes me question why I ever used a Les Paul or other 24-3/4" scale guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    ... I was working up X-mas songs for December gigs. I played the Tele Custom into a Tweed Deluxe....
    It makes me question why I ever used a Les Paul or other 24-3/4" scale guitar.
    I began my “serious guitar life” with a beat-up ‘61 Strat in, oh, 1968? Then a newer Strat, etc. etc. It was not until the late 1990s that I tried a Telecaster. I was still 5-6 years away from being interested in studying jazz on a jazzbox (a Heritage 575). Once that happened, though, I experienced a gradual (glacial? Inexorable certainly) reorientation away from the Fender Way to the Gibson Way.

Telecasters have been a constant from late 1990s till now, but 24.75” archtops have become the dominant species in my little ecosystem, so despite what can be done with Telecaster + jazz mind, I’m closing that chapter...book...room..?whatever it is.

At least until my 70s, which are not far off. Maybe in my second childhood, if I have one, Telecaster will come back and say, Remember me?
    Robert Hill Long
    Ferndale California
    rhl.photography

User Info Menu

Way back in this thread I saw where someone stated that there was a limited run of MIJ Joe Massino Fender Telecaster...it looked fantastic, IMHO, with the jazzmaster neck on a tele body...does anyone own one of these and want to sell it ?Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

This weekend I made another trip back to The Music Zoo to play more Telecasters. During my last visit I really liked the Britt Daniel thinline Model for its light weight and tone - but I decided to play every Telecaster they had with a 1.687 nut. They had some new ones out that I hadn’t played during last visit.

The one that sounded the most like an Archtop amplified was the quilt top rarity with the humbucker neck pickup.

However, the one with the best playability was the 2019 Ultra with next generation noiseless pickups. The Ultra replaces last year’s Elite model. I kept going back and forth between the Britt, the Rarity and the Ultra and ultimately purchased the Ultra for a few reasons:

1) I liked the neck feel with rolled edges and silky smooth fingerboard. Also the 10-14” compound radius was more conducive to chord melody playing.
    2) I liked the individual saddles , which on the Ultra is chrome plating over solid brass. I found the 3 cylinder saddles to be awkward and string spacing varied considerably from each guitar. Also the little milled notch on the saddle left a sharp edge where the string resides - not good for tone or string longevity.
    3) The locking tuners are also beautiful.
    4) The S1 switch provides some options with tone which I found appealing.
    5) The butterscotch finish just looked classic Telecaster and was hard to resist.

I bought this because I’ve developed finger tip nerve pain and wanted something with lighter strings that I can work out my arrangements - and I’ve always wanted to try a Telecaster. I actually played it for 3 hours Saturday and it was effortless. It was a tough decision between the three guitars but I chose the one that was easiest to play. It’s fit and finish is immaculate. I attached a pic

Anyway - that’s my Tele story. I guess I’m part of the Tele club ....for the time being.

I attached a pic

User Info Menu

...I guess I’m part of the Tele club ....for the time being.
    Looks like .. a Telecaster!
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-trio-jpg

My workhorse, lightweight, well balanced, fat U neck, and fantastic PU.

User Info Menu

I think i posted my Tele earlier in the thread, but here's a short clip of it playing jazz. Don't use it for jazz often, but i've played jazz gigs with it and it handled it just fine!

User Info Menu

Check out this Tele...

You can't analyze something you can't play! (Robert Conti)

Technique is the means to play just like your voice is your means to speak. (Robert Conti)

User Info Menu

Cecil is a wonderful player and artist.

User Info Menu

My baby:

User Info Menu

Not everyone's cuppa tea ...

... nor am I.

The Eclectic Collector: 1994 TLG-94P MIJ “50th Anniversary” Fender Custom Telecaster - GuitarPlayer.comNumbers say '97 imo but internet 'experts' say it's a "1994 Anniversary Custom '62 reissue aka: Los Vegas, Nashville, or (my fave) Saudi Tele."

I've never found evidence Slash played one, as the article states, but I think I'll keep it anyways.
    "Your sound is in your hands ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz View Post
    Check out this Tele...

whole new thread to come- Benson picking on a Tele!
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

I know, I know, it's not a "Telecaster" per se but I think this baby should sound fantastic, specially in the neck pickup position:

User Info Menu

Squier Classic Vibe 60s Custom. I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dhango View Post
    I know, I know, it's not a "Telecaster" per se but I think this baby should sound fantastic, specially in the neck pickup position:
    Nice finish! Is that "Irish Ale"?
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

So anyone knows what tele and setup Cecil is using?