The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 25 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Posts 601 to 625 of 2241

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Here's his tele vs archtop (can you tell the difference) test. Pretty interesting!!
    I had one miss, for that Mike Lull Chubby TLTx I thought it was a trick question and "voted" hollow body in spite of actually hearing "signs of a tele", but nevertheless, I voted wrong.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

TI Swings sound great on both my Strat and Tele. Very jazzy.

User Info Menu

I just can't get used to the feel of flats.

User Info Menu

Boston Joe,

That's understandable. I started playing so long ago that many guitar makers used to ship guitars with _flats_ as factory equipment. My first electric guitar, a Hagstrom I solid body, actually came with flatwound .12-.50 strings from the factory. Consequently, I learned on flats and feel equally comfortable on flat or round wound strings. (I just don't care for the sound of skinny strings on my guitars...I like the way they feel, though.)

Flats definitely do feel different. When I chicken pick country stuff, I have to think, "it's okay that the strings are all smooth." The sound is just fine...it's just the feel that's different from my old Telecaster strung with Fender 150 string days. I can bend and get all the quack and spank out of TI Swing flats that I want. When I want them to be bright, they are plenty bright. It's all in the pickups and hands.

User Info Menu

I have drunk the flat-wound Kool-Aid.

When I'm at a music store, where all the guitars have round-wound strings, I have to think, "keep breathing, don't panic, don't let them see the fear in your eyes when the strings squeak!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Strings should have texture, dammit.

And get off my lawn!

Speaking of strings....

I'm going to see if changing the flat wound medium lights on my parts caster to heavy will help me come close to this sound. ;-)

or that

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-unnamed-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-14372388_10154675697468690_5060314849242913091_o-jpg
    just got this back from installing new Lollar pickups-
    his new staple in the neck and a bridge wound Charlie Christian in the bridge-

love the clarity and openness of the staple-
    took it to a improv session earlier this week and had a great time
    strung with D'Addario Chromes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    just got this back from installing new Lollar pickups-
    his new staple in the neck and a bridge wound Charlie Christian in the bridge-
    love the clarity and openness of the staple-
    took it to a improv session earlier this week and had a great time
    strung with D'Addario Chromes.
    …….ooooohhhhh…..Creston……ooooooohhhhh……..the wind cries….Crestonnnnnnnnn…..
    OK, that is the most on-trend tele so far in this entire thread ….until I post my next one, bwahahahahahaha….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Speaking of strings....

I'm going to see if changing the flat wound medium lights on my parts caster to heavy will help me come close to this sound. ;-)

or that

You'll be surprised how close you can get! (If the pickups are the same as well).

My tele with P90s does a great immitation of my ES-125. Of course you'll hear the difference, but live on stage when the drummer kicks in.... Not thát much anymore!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    You'll be surprised how close you can get! (If the pickups are the same as well).

My tele with P90s does a great immitation of my ES-125. Of course you'll hear the difference, but live on stage when the drummer kicks in.... Not thát much anymore!
    Man! You are so right. I put some D'addario 12-56s on this puppy and if Bob's not my uncle then I don't know who is.
    Shut your eyes and only the Chef's would know that this ain't a telecaster. I avoided these puppies because of what? Design? Shame on me. I think the L5 up in that picture is eye candy. I'm sure it plays and feels like liquid butter but I've got the sound right HERE! :-)

Happy Telecastering yawl cuz "Ive found my THRILL, on Blue berry Hill...".
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 09-25-2016 at 11:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The latest (and last, I swear…) - a Fiesta Red Monty body in ash w/no-truss-rod neck by a talented mystery builder. Should be … different ...
    No truss rod?!? Why? Just because you can? (Can't think of any advantage....?) I like my truss rods...

Should be different indeed...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    No truss rod?!? Why? Just because you can? (Can't think of any advantage....?) I like my truss rods...Should be different indeed...
    Yes, because I can! Different sound without a truss rod.
    The first teles built by Fender had no truss rods and had pine bodies (this one is ash), so all the cool kids are trying that out, led by that young whippersnapper Rick Kelly over at Carmine St. Guitars.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-28-2016 at 06:50 AM.

User Info Menu

yeah rick k makes 'em sans trussrods...and they are nice!!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-bowery-guitars2-537x217-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Built this awhile back and buyer ran out of money - it's available in the "For Sale" section
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-t1-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-t2-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-t3-jpg

User Info Menu

I love the telecaster and have built about ten from scratch. I like the shape, 50s dee-luxe, and the no nonsense industrial efficiency. And it like the tonal range. They feel comfortable sitting and standing. They're easy to make.

i also like arch tops, and particularly the "attack envelope" you get from an arch top, which I hear as shorter decay, more plunk, a thicker and more complex attack, kind of a pop on the note, and more of a midrange bark. I did lots of experiments with teles and tele pickups--convnetional tele pickups, neck humbuckers, minihumbuckers, cc-style blade pickups, Joe bardens, p90s--but could never get the attack I wanted

so I decided to try making a fully hollow tele, with no center block, but with the shape and geometry and bridge plate of a regular tele.

I detailed the experiments at TDPRI

I ended up with a spruce top and a hollow cherry body. It has a fingerboard made of richlite, which I think is a great substitute for ebony. i really like this guitar. It has a lot of the attack of an arch top and most of the tonal range of a tele. It's comfortable like a tele.

Ive also found that I just really prefer single coils, but the noise was killing me for him recording, so that tel now has bill lawrence micro coils in it. They sound like single coils without the noise, but they don't sound like "vintage tele blah blah blah." They have a hi fi quality that's interesting, but also the bite and directness of single coils. They are cheap and definitely worth checking out

User Info Menu

The first one I built had a small block connecting the top and the back, just more or less one inch by four inches, so that it could hold the bridge plate screws. So most of the bridge plate, including the part of the plate that's under the saddles, was unsupported. It was also a toploader, just because it was easy and I had a bridge plate on hand. There are some clips of it in the threads I linked to.

I like the way it sounded, but it cracked in use and I decided to build a floating top with braces, partly just to see how it would sound.

That's a nice looking guitar!

User Info Menu

Some nice looking teles hanging around. Making me think twice about my planned first build/assemble. Was looking at a bolt on LP as a learner and a tele next so I could do a better job on the tele and maybe splurge a bit more on components. But now I want a tele right away!

User Info Menu

Just got this tonight

Fender American Vintage 62 Telecaster Custom Olympic White

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpegTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpeg
    Last edited by 999369; 10-02-2016 at 03:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Demo video

User Info Menu

I like the faux binding. Very dressy.

User Info Menu

Beloved Jazz-enthusiasts and knowers of guitars(preferably Tele´s): I´m back!

I´ve gotten a bid on a Squire tele made in 1984, made in Japan. Seller wants 450$. Fair?

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_1982106538-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_850873350-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_874605735-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_969811191-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_1054680360-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_228464011-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_1005459443-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_1644252390-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_1278110628-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-50_1920895900-jpg

User Info Menu

Japanese-made Squier Tele - same wood quality as later Japanese Fender-branded stuff, but:
    inexpensive tuners;
    Screwed up frets;
    Mystery Bridge pieces;
    No idea about the rest.

These can be made into very nice guitars, but I'd pass, because I think it's easy to find nicer used Teles for the same $. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-24-2020 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

$450 is about what they cost new, yeah?

I'd look for a used Mexican Standard for that price.

User Info Menu

Used Squiers are going for $150-$250 on Reverb.com. I don't know that there's anything about the '80s period that justifies the higher price. I did see one on Reverb for something like $750, but there was a note that the seller was in Japan, and the price was automatically converted from Yen, so maybe the market over there is a lot different and/or the exchange rate is out of whack.