The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 23 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Posts 551 to 575 of 2242

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    l200- slot screws for 5 screw pg nice touch too..vintagey!!..the fine details

cheers
    I actually changed them on my Strat and Jazzmaster as well. When I ordered them I thought that I forgot to order enough to do all three, but I don't think that they counted them before they put them in the bag. I had a few left to spare but also was able to do the jack plates on all three as well. #4-3/8" I think.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

did it to my tele pg too...for sticklers-fender uses #4-1/2..gibby #4-3/8...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    did it to my tele pg too...for sticklers-fender uses #4-1/2..gibby #4-3/8...

cheers
    #4-1/2. Yeah, I think that what I have. All I remember is that I could only find slots in one size, not the other.

User Info Menu

lammie200, yours is my favorite in the whole thread to date

User Info Menu

Picked up a MIM '72 Thinline RI the other day and loving it. I get the feeling it's the last guitar I'll buy for a while. I'd post a pic but don't know how to orient the images and they always end up sideways.

Also, all of the recent pics look rad and everyone here is killing it [cept Joe for trolling].

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thrush40 View Post
    lammie200, yours is my favorite in the whole thread to date
    Oh sheesh. You are embarrassing me

I put TI 12s on it last night and fixed the barrel spacings. Much better than Chromes IMHO. I am going to start taking a look at the tone pot shortly.

User Info Menu

On the topic of teles. Some say certain gauges work best for specific guitars. Is there a recommend gauge for telecasters? For example, Collins recommends a specific string gauge for the i-35 (looks like they have a new website btw).

But I really wanna know... Are you gonna go maaaa way! kidding!

Anyway, the tech who assembled the tele I just put together advised against using 11-50 flats (which feel better to me). I went with it but something don't feel right under me fingers. I'm going to switch stings.

What's the consensus?

User Info Menu

too many variables to recommend a specific type or gauge of string...depends on the bridge, the saddles, the pickups and most importantly the tone you are looking for...also wound vs unwound g.....once you have tried a few different string setups, you can usually pinpoint where the changes need to be made..ie. if its too bright you might want pure nickel stings, or if you find your having trouble bending the g, you might want a lighter unwound g etc etc...

cheers

User Info Menu

I've been using .11-.47 gauge strings on my Tele. I _just_ switched from round wound Ernie Ball strings to TI Swing Flats this weekend. If anything, the Tele sounds better. Even on the country/chickin' pickin' stuff. On the jazz stuff, it is no flippin' contest.

I have another outdoor gig coming up next weekend at which I'm going to use the Tele. I will be playing some rock, some funk, some country, some blues, and some jazz. The Tele will cover it all, and the TI .11-.47 strings will do the trick...even on the Brad Paisley stuff.

User Info Menu

just be aware that as of 1969, fender was still shipping all their electric guitars factory strung with pure nickel "smooth" round wounds 12-52..with wound .26 g's!...that means hendrix was gettin his strats with 12-52's!!..

cheers

User Info Menu

Right after buying my Tele, I put D'Addarrio EPN21 Jazz Lites on it: 12-51. I liked them well enough, but for various reasons I took the Billy Gibbons' challenge and put (his) 7's on the guitar. To my surprise the 7's not only sound well for jazz and pop standards, but they louder than I expected. They require a light touch, but I am going to continue with them for a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    The Tele will cover it all, and the TI .11-.47 strings will do the trick...
    Yes, this is exactly what I did with my Tele. It was my last guitar to get flatwounds, and I'm going to stay with them.

User Info Menu

dan armstrong marketed .07 string sets...in late 60's/early 70's...(branded for him by labella)...they were fun!...lotsa snap..why you really need 2 tele's!!..one with flats and one with james burton slinkys..08's (or less!!) haha

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-7948926_orig-jpg

cheers

ps- a compressor really helps with those super slinkys
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-04-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: pic

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=neatomic;688706]dan armstrong had .07 strings...in late 60's/early 70's...(branded for him by labella)...they were fun!...lotsa snap..why you really need 2 tele's!!..one with flats and one with james burton slinkys..08's (or less!!) haha/QUOTE]
    Good point. I got a birthday coming...

User Info Menu

I think the best thing about the telecaster is that if you cant find one you like - you can basically build one up from parts of things you do like..

Perfect gigging, touring and pickup and play - ultimately if it suffers an occupational ding or two its not going to make much difference to anything (including its value - especially if its a mongrel like mine )

My Partscaster is one of the jazziest guitars I have owned (maple f/b and standard pickups)....I started with a cheap used Mexican Tele body and went from there with lots of s/h bits and pieces (pickups, pickguard, tuners etc) ...it was fun and had its wrangles (getting the neck and body to like each other) - it cost me about 600 AUD in the end...

User Info Menu

I have only owned one Fender Tele, as I somehow always ended up with humbuckers.
    This Telecaster Deluxe I bought in the mid 1970's. I screwed the Duncan PUs to the wood, as the pickguard was made for those larger Fender humbuckers it came with. Still have this one, but the frets are completely worn down flat and refretting a maple fretboard with finish on it seemed like more work than I cared to get into.. Restore it back to usefullness, or sell it now as "vintage" ? Back when I bought it, the early seventies guitars were considered crap, but I see today they reissue models to emulate the "72" we thought were cheaply made at the time. I was attracted to the Deluxe because of the narrow spaced hardtail bridge, the belly cut contour, and the 2 HB configuration.

I'm standing in front of Dave Petit holding his original Esquire which you can just see a few square inches of far left, that one had the tele mojo in spades.

John A

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-telecrop-jpg

User Info Menu

j_a- you can get a replacement neck..asian made...for as low as 25$..you can get a fender lic neck for under 200$...buy a neck and put the vintage one away in the case...leo fender devised the guitar for replacement necks, not refrets...4 screws!

you can even get repros of the original wide range pups!

keep it!

cheers

User Info Menu

You can, I need, get a jazzy tone with skinny strings. But, as Archtop Bill noted, you have to have such a light touch! I get wound up when I play. Also, chords can go out of tune at the drop of a hat and the grip of a left hand.

User Info Menu

You can, I need, get a jazzy tone with skinny strings. But, as Archtop Bill noted, you have to have such a light touch! I get wound up when I play. Also, chords can go out of tune at the drop of a hat and the grip of a left hand.

Yes, part of my motivation is, dare I admit it, arthritis in both of my index fingers. I am lightening my touch after a lifetime of using 12's and 13's. The 7's make me be lighter which should prolong my playing.

User Info Menu

Guy I've played with for 20 years uses light strings...arthritis. He's a fantastic blues/slide player. Really, one of the best four or five I've heard, including guys like Ry Cooder. If it extends your playing career, play light-gauge. Here is my buddy and me at a recent gig. He is using a customized Gibson L-48 with an old Grover tailpiece and Fralin silent P90 pickups. The guitar has very light strings on it, yet it sounds amazing and quite full. The cutaway was added by a luthier he knows.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-opening-circle-2016-jpg
    Last edited by Greentone; 09-05-2016 at 02:55 PM.

User Info Menu

That looks very cool. Adding a cutaway to a vintage guitar must be pretty difficult (and expensive ?) work.

User Info Menu

My friend shows up with stuff like this all the time. This guitar was a special case. It sat unused, packed with mud for about 30 years. Seriously, completely filled with mud. Then a luthier took it and completely re-worked the guitar. Had to get inside, so...cutaway time. Not a top-line Gibson and needed refinish work.

Now, it's a great player. Sounds great. Lindy Fralin's pickups are outstanding, by the way.

User Info Menu

My friend shows up with stuff like this all the time. This guitar was a special case. It sat unused, packed with mud for about 30 years. Seriously, completely filled with mud. Then a luthier took it and completely re-worked the guitar. Had to get inside, so...cutaway time. Not a top-line Gibson and needed refinish work.

Now, it's a great player. Sounds great. Lindy Fralin's pickups are outstanding, by the way.
    Your tele style guitar doesn't look shabby either and you have a guitar face going on there :-)) If you have any sounds from that gig please post.

User Info Menu

You playing the Tele through that Loudbox Mini, Greentone? I'd be curious of your thoughts if you were.

User Info Menu

No recordings that I am aware of. My buddy, Vic, was playing through the Loudbox. It sounded great with either his customized L-48 or his Silvertone (Danelectro) guitar--the one that used to come in the amp case--with the single lipstick pickup that he used for slide. The Loudbox is a surprisingly good amp for acoustic, electric, vocals, you name it.

I was playing my Tele through my tweed 5e3 Deluxe which was, alas, out of the frame. It sounded awesome, if I do say so myself. A Tele/Deluxe is simply a great combination. I was playing pretty clean, with some hair on the leads...mainly a blues gig.