Posts 1,101 to 1,150 of 1720

User Info Menu

Mahogany body and neck - Gibson scale
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-newtelecaster-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    yeah man

Great... the tele and the Gibson are remarkably close in tone. I could listen to playing like that all day long!
    Cheers,
    Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander View Post
    Resistance was futile...
    After 6 years of witnessing all the tele love here sometimes wondering if I am not on tdpri, I plan start a tele parts caster little project as a christmas gift to myself. Franklearns thread was somehow inspiring.
    BUT and there is a big one, I am before everything a Gibson player so don't expect from me a jangling, twangling type of instrument; I want to enjoy the 25.5 scale with still a darker Gibson approach.
    Mahogany neck and body, ebony fretboard, dual humbucker configuration, back cavity control access.
    Now shall I go for string through or top strung, if I am more into sustain ? I have read contradicting information on that...
    great vinlander! Let us knw how it goes! I am glad that this little build thread was an inspiration :-) It was fun and I am happy with the result. A mahogany tele sounds with an ebony board like a great idea! I would personally go with string through. As much as I understand this will have more string tension. The brass saddles will help too with sustain. You are unlikely to reach the sustain of a set neck Les Paul though.

User Info Menu

I’ve put DR Pure Blues .11s on both my teles. Great for jazz tone, and still very bendable. An option to consider…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by R Neil View Post
    Posting from the phone ... sigh.

It's been suggested that when I get the new 15" speaker set up for my place Ampeg tube amp I use with the archtop I just might like to try jazzing through that with the Tele.

I do try and remain teachable ... and as I've got dead strings on the Tele, what would y'all suggest? I use D'Addario flats .013/.056 on the archtop. A local store has the ECG24 "Light jazz" strings in stock.

Would that be apropos? And still moderately rock-able?

Stumbling fingers still need love ...
    I was replying to this of course

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74 View Post
    I was replying to this of course
    Yep. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Mahogany body and neck - Gibson scale?
    This one's still for sale:
    Chambered Telecaster / Cabronita style guitar
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morekiller View Post
    ... standard tele with a maple neck...

Attachment 37119
    Hoping to have one of these soon!
    Last edited by destinytot; 12-08-2016 at 05:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Ted Greene checking out a G&L ASAT. Hold the phone - love this...

User Info Menu

I saw my old GIT teacher Steve Trovato playing one of these LSL Telecasters. Really, really nice.

I have no connection to this seller, but ain't this one sexy? I keep going back to Reverb.com to peek at it. What is wrong with me? I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...But I don't have a tele with a maple fretboard either...

LSL T-Bone 2015 Antique White - Offers needed | Reverb

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-k8lrcylp6tkhlk5f6iba-jpg

User Info Menu

Does a Tele work through a Polytone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G View Post
    Does a Tele work through a Polytone?
    A Tele works through everything and everything works through a Polytone. I wish I still had my Polytone to go with my current Tele...
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    But I don't have a tele with a maple fretboard either...

LSL T-Bone 2015 Antique White - Offers needed | Reverb

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-k8lrcylp6tkhlk5f6iba-jpg
    Um ... don't all Tele's have maple necks? Mine does .... plays nice ... Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eigenbart View Post
    Just found this beauty, I'm really gasing. It's a Suhr Model T Satin, kind of a Telecaster on steroids, lightweight, modern specs... It sounds brilliant from jazz to metal, very versatile guitar.

Modern T Satin

Same specs with different shape, it sounds really good to me.
    Great videos!

PS: How can you focus on coding in Catalonia? Isn't it a beachy paradise - no work allowed?
    You can't analyze something you can't play! (Robert Conti)

Technique is the means to play just like your voice is your means to speak. (Robert Conti)

User Info Menu

Um ... don't all Tele's have maple necks? Mine does .... plays nice ... Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed
    not all.
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-george_harrison_rosewood_telecaster_1968_guitar-jpg

User Info Menu

Just had to tease a bit. The maple necks like mine can get the finish worn off. I don't think the rosewood ones are finished ... are they?

User Info Menu

... I don't think the rosewood ones are finished ... are they?...
    Not usually.

User Info Menu

2016 Fender American Limited Edition ROSEWOOD NECK Telecaster MINT - $1280 (Las Vegas)

2016 Fender American Limited Edition ROSEWOOD NECK Telecaster MINT

here have nice one for sell ! $1280 ??? ( not mine )

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-image-jpeg

User Info Menu

West LA Jazz, it is during the summer, but not now with 5 degrees celsius out there

BTW I finally grabbed one of those Suhrs, man it's awesome!!! resonant, clear, balanced, light, beautiful ...
    Miles Parrish
    https://www.facebook.com/milesparrishguitar
    Sell you gear - https://www.guitarmart.eu
    Share your Amplifire presets - http://www.digitaltones.co

User Info Menu

What do you guys think about this: in my Modern Player Thinline P90 Tele I have 250k pots and .047uf caps. Gibson typically uses 500k pots and a .022uf cap. I like the way the P90 sounds in my ES-125 better than the P90s in my thinline Tele.... maybe not a fair comparison and of course there are many more differences but I won a complete Epiphone wiring harness with switch, 500k full size Alpha pots and .022 caps on ebay (for only $5, ha!) and I will install that and see if it makes a difference. I am going to hook it up '50s wiring-style' and I think it will open the guitar up and make it even better (for the little money it's already an astonishing good guitar!). The only downside: shipping is so cheap it will arrive only in January......

(Well what can I say...I'm a tinkerer suffering from MOD-syndrome......)
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Sorry if I missed it in the first 38 pages of this thread but are any of you playing the Road Worn 50's Tele's? If so I'd love to hear your impressions.

I went to a big box store today to get some strings and just have a look around and the Road Worn I picked up felt perfect. Love the neck shape and the light weight of it. So now I have a dilemma because I really tend to hate the fake relic stuff on an aesthetic level but it ticks all the boxes otherwise. Does the Classic 50's w the nitro finish have the same neck profile? Would love to have a blackguard style Tele with nitro finish without spending AVRI money.
    Last edited by 50Hz; 12-21-2016 at 09:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz View Post
    Sorry if I missed it in the first 38 pages of this thread but are any of you playing the Road Worn 50's Tele's? If so I'd love to hear your impressions.

I went to a big box store today to get some strings and just have a look around and the Road Worn I picked up felt perfect. Love the neck shape and the light weight of it. So now I have a dilemma because I really tend to hate the fake relic stuff on an aesthetic level but it ticks all the boxes otherwise. Does the Classic 50's w the nitro finish have the same neck profile? Would love to have a blackguard style Tele with nitro finish without spending AVRI money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz View Post
    ...Does the Classic 50's w the nitro finish have the same neck profile? Would love to have a blackguard style Tele with nitro finish without spending AVRI money.
    I could be wrong but I think that what Fender calls nitro now days is a thin nitro tint topped with poly coats.

User Info Menu

More or less yes, but they seem to have a different feel than the thick poly finishes. I won't pretend I can tell a difference tonally, but I like the feel. I've got one of the 60's Jags and am loving it so I suppose if it's an option I'll pursue it.

Plectrum, seen the video but thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to see if anyone could help me out. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread.

Anyway,

I've always been a tele guy, and have finally managed to save up some money (£2000 ish) that I would like to put into my dream tele. Problem is, I can't find a telecaster that suits all my "needs".
    Preferably, my tele would consist of:
    - A rosewood fingerboard
    - Have a contoured back (like a strat)
    - Humbucker (or P90) in the neck
    - Also, I would love to have a tremolo or bigsby on it
    - Modern C-neck (Fender style)

Some of you might thing that I should just go for a strat, but Tele is sort of my thing and I am not looking for a strat at the moment.
    Have you guys ever seen a tele like that? Or do you thing I have to build one myself. If so, would there be any Londoners out there who knows any good guitar builders in the London area?

Cheers guys.
    Last edited by JoeV; 12-22-2016 at 08:46 AM.

User Info Menu

JoeV,

The American Standard HH ticks a lot of those boxes. doesn't have the trem/bigsby though.

User Info Menu

Why don't you build one from Warmoth parts? You can get all you want for a fsir bit less than your budget and you can pay a luthier at home to put it together for you (in case you don't want to do it yourself - but it is not hard) or pay the luthier to tweak it to perfection (they kind of mostly need a fretlevel done and a professional setup after the build goes a long way in making a good guitar great).

User Info Menu

Building a Partscaster tele

Is a thread on a build

User Info Menu

Sounds like you'd like a Jazzmaster!
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

The Suhr Modern T satin I bought a couple of weeks ago fits all your needs I think you can find it at peachguitars in the UK

User Info Menu

Super cheap, decent-looking Partscaster on Reverb. No connection to the seller, no interest in the sale.

In a way, this shows the downside of putting together a partscaster. Might be hard to sell someday. This guy has a Warmoth neck and Duncan pups. Ain't that a lotta guitar for $449?

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-rzmmfa3kpn19repmpokn-jpg

Custom Tele-Style Electric w/Warmoth Neck & Seymour | Reverb
    Last edited by Flat; 12-23-2016 at 02:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    What do you guys think about this: in my Modern Player Thinline P90 Tele I have 250k pots and .047uf caps. Gibson typically uses 500k pots and a .022uf cap. I like the way the P90 sounds in my ES-125 better than the P90s in my thinline Tele.... maybe not a fair comparison and of course there are many more differences but I won a complete Epiphone wiring harness with switch, 500k full size Alpha pots and .022 caps on ebay (for only $5, ha!) and I will install that and see if it makes a difference. I am going to hook it up '50s wiring-style' and I think it will open the guitar up and make it even better (for the little money it's already an astonishing good guitar!). The only downside: shipping is so cheap it will arrive only in January......

I have the same guitar and agree they are not the best sounding P90's I've ever heard. It seems many people have had good results from the 500k pot mod.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this loaded pickguard with SD P-rails to get some tonal options from this otherwise fine guitar:

920D Loaded Pickguard Fender 'Modern Player Tele Thinline Deluxe P-Rai – Sigler Music

JP

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JSP737; 12-22-2016 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSP737 View Post
    I have the same guitar and agree they are not the best sounding P90's I've ever heard. It seems many people have had good results from the 500k pot mod.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this loaded pickguard with SD P-rails to get some final options from this otherwise fine guitar:

920D Loaded Pickguard Fender 'Modern Player Tele Thinline Deluxe P-Rai – Sigler Music

JP

I'll see what the 500k pots do, but I like to keep P90s in the guitar. I have a pair of modern Gibson P90s laying around, but without covers. The covers of the current P90s don't fit! Does anybody know where to order soapbar covers that will fit Gibson P90s?
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Auto correct failure. I meant to say tonal options not final options

User Info Menu

What say about a tele with two f-holes?

This always sounds good to me in theory, but it's hard to strike an elegant balance. I really like LSL, but I'm not so sure this one works for me...my eye would have to think about it for a while...

Saw it on reverb. No connection to seller.

LsL Soledad 'Solara' | Reverb

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-lsl-fholes-png

User Info Menu

-----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

I have the brand new Fender limited edition with figured neck. I replace the neck pickup by the alnico II pro. The pickup as short legs and fit perfectly without changing the routing body. I take a new pickguard on amazon for 10$ and I'm all set for jazz!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sweet humpupper!
    Build bridges, not walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post

500k and 0.22, what they do for tone? Cleaner, darker?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    Yeah, I agree, medblues. My eye likes the look of that Kiesel much better. Even though there is only one f-hole, it comes away looking more balanced somehow.
    Last edited by Flat; 12-31-2016 at 04:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Personally I think that f-holes on Telecaster bodies look out of place. It's a modern body design with a historically referenced f-hole. I am puzzled why the Thinline design stuck. I think that a more modern f-hole design (a la what Rickenbacker came up with) would be more fitting. (And yes, I do know that some Rick's came with the historic f-hole design. They looks pretty ridiculous to me as well.)

User Info Menu

Then there's this one, still for sale...
    Chambered Telecaster / Cabronita style guitar

"Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200 View Post
    Personally I think that f-holes on Telecaster bodies look out of place.
    I know what you mean. Sorta like an ashtray bridge on an L5.

It's a really tough thing to pull off in terms of design, I guess. My tele is a plank and my archtops have f-holes. My contrary personality rails against excesses of convention, but sometimes it just works.
    Last edited by Flat; 01-02-2017 at 08:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    ...It's a really tough thing to pull off in terms of design, I guess...
    I do like the aesthetics of ones that you and Hammertone posted. Somehow they close the loop for me as opposed to the typical Fender / G & L Thinlines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clean.M.A.C. View Post
    500k and 0.22, what they do for tone? Cleaner, darker?
    Switching to higher value pots and a lower value cap will brighten the tone of the instrument.

With Fender style single coils is it pretty typical to use 250K pots and a .047 or .050 cap; with humbuckers, 500K pots and a .022 or .033 cap. Gibson also used 300K pots and .022 caps with humbuckers and P90s at different times, from what I have read, but I've never actually seen that for myself and it might be a myth or just pretty rare. I have used a 500K volume pot with a 250K tone pot in several overly bright guitars with humbuckers, on the recommendation of Kent Armstrong.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Satan plays a Telecaster.

Here's a little tribute:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Switching to higher value pots and a lower value cap will brighten the tone of the instrument.

With Fender style single coils is it pretty typical to use 250K pots and a .047 or .050 cap; with humbuckers, 500K pots and a .022 or .033 cap. Gibson also used 300K pots and .022 caps with humbuckers and P90s at different times, from what I have read, but I've never actually seen that for myself and it might be a myth or just pretty rare. I have used a 500K volume pot with a 250K tone pot in several overly bright guitars with humbuckers, on the recommendation of Kent Armstrong.
    Yes, 500 and .022 should let more highs thru. My ES-125 has 500k pots and a .022uf cap in 50ies wiring configuration (pickup, pots and caps date from 1947) and I like that a lot so I figured I'd try that on my P90 thinline tele as well. We'll see if I like it or not. At the moment the tele is rather dark sounding.

User Info Menu

That's my '58 reissue, so resonant, love it! ( Not to mention the Princeton reverb...)

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_0478-jpg
    Telecaster Jazz Guitar Noire
    www.marcusklossek.de

User Info Menu

Hello M.K. You got good taste in toys!

User Info Menu

The jackets are unbeatable! ;-)
    Telecaster Jazz Guitar Noire
    www.marcusklossek.de