The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 22 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Posts 526 to 550 of 2248

User Info Menu

Love the patina on the brass bridge, Hammertone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is the Tele with the 9-T through the Carbon Copy (set very dry) and a Polytone amp (don't know which model). I think it's a great jazz sound.

(I don't remember the name of the tune. Anybody know?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz
    Love the patina on the brass bridge, Hammertone.
    Hey, I'm all about the patina.

User Info Menu

My T... Tom Anderson...

User Info Menu

The pickup configuration of the Tom Anderson does not share much with the classic Telecaster....

User Info Menu

Wow, what bridge pup is that?

User Info Menu

Do people find there's much a difference in tone between the traditional style Tele bridge with the 3 T-bar saddles and the more modern type of bridge that looks more like a strat type bridge with individual saddles?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Do people find there's much a difference in tone between the traditional style Tele bridge with the 3 T-bar saddles and the more modern type of bridge that looks more like a strat type bridge with individual saddles?
    I read several times at TDPRI and elsewhere that there is a difference so I went to a music store and tried it myself. I could not hear any difference. All my tele style guitars have individual saddles, a lot easier to intonate and I prefer the look too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I read several times at TDPRI and elsewhere that there is a difference so I went to a music store and tried it myself. I could not hear any difference. All my tele style guitars have individual saddles, a lot easier to intonate and I prefer the look too.
    It would be easier if I could use a hardtail Strat bridge on my partscaster.

User Info Menu

Ted Greene would be proud, Patoula.

User Info Menu

This arrived this morning.
    I'll post the finished product tomorrow
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-imag0441-jpg

User Info Menu

Curious question. I also noticed that the glossy maple necks are much easier to slide on than say the "dry" honduran mahogany neck. What do they use for the glossy necks? Does the gloss eventually peel off and maybe slow the feel of the neck?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Curious question. I also noticed that the glossy maple necks are much easier to slide on than say the "dry" honduran mahogany neck. What do they use for the glossy necks? Does the gloss eventually peel off and maybe slow the feel of the neck?
    Well an old-school finish would have been nitrocellulose lacquer (nitro). It feels a bit "stickier" than some of the other finishes, like polyurethane or polyester (both are referred to as poly sometimes). Nitro is also softer than the others, ages (yellowing) and has a reputation for letting the wood "breathe". "Open", non-congested sound. It can also become "checked" with drastic changes in temperature, react to moisture, pressure, peel, "roll in your hand ", and react (melt) with prolonged contact with rubber. Often, people with nails may have a tendency to dig through/play through the nitro on their fret boards over time, causing it to look black or dark in places. Nitro looks awesome when new and can look really cool when "distressed". Just look up the various versions of "relic'd" guitars. Although nitro is more fragile, it tends to look pretty sweet as it ages.

The various forms of poly tend to be "tougher" (more durable) and have a reputation (by some) for making guitars sound less "open". I haven't seen guitars with poly check with temp changes or react badly to rubber. It usually would take some sort of impact to break through the poly in order for it to chip or flake off. Sometimes, I have seen oily exotic woods reject the poly, making it bubble or become hazy or white. And, obviously, if you manage to get moisture between the wood and the poly, you could get a similar result when the wood swells.

Personally, having worked in a small guitar shop for about ten years, I can tell you that I have played many amazing sounding guitars with poly finishes. Collings, Anderson, and Suhr guitars come to mind. So, it is my opinion that you could go with poly and still have a great sound. People say all kinds of stuff. But, nitro doesn't have the market cornered on great sound. I have guitars w/ both finishes. If given a choice I'd probably choose guitars w/ the finish that Collings uses over nitro... (because, despite not babying it for many years, I've yet to wear through the finish on this my great sounding Collings guitar).

Obviously, there are other finishes like varnish (which takes more work to shine up and seems to be even less durable than nitro), oils, and stuff, but I'm restricting this to the finishes that I have a little experience with.

My oversimplification: Poly = Hard Nitro= Soft(er)

Well, these are just my observations. I'm not a luthier or anything. Sorry for the rambling...

User Info Menu

Sorry this isn't jazz, but hopefully you don't mind a little funk on a Tele - a Squire Vintage Modified tele, with a Creamery Wide-Range neck pickup and Lollar Texas Special at the bridge. A little Superstition for 60 seconds. Apologies for the darkness:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    .....Lollar Texas Special....
    Do they exist?
    BTW, nice playing. Are you also a bass player?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Sorry this isn't jazz, but hopefully you don't mind a little funk on a Tele - a Squire Vintage Modified tele, with a Creamery Wide-Range neck pickup and Lollar Texas Special at the bridge. A little Superstition for 60 seconds. Apologies for the darkness:

S

Sweet tone! What pickups and amp?

User Info Menu

Thanks. I made a mistake earlier when I said the bridge was a Lollar Texas Special, whereas in fact it is a Lollar T Special. The wide-range neck pickup is by The Creamery from England, and it is highly recommended. I asked the maker, I think his name is Jamie, not to make it too hot. The neck is beautiful to play. So, great neck and great pickups, what else matters?

The amp is the Yamaha THR 10, the Blues version. I just put a mic in front of it.

It's a very versatile combination of guitar, pickups and amp, though not for stage work.

User Info Menu

Finished my assembly. It has a 25 1/8" scale neck from Musikraft, a Fralin P92 pick up, and a one piece ash body. Setup went well and it intonates pretty much spot on. I still need to dial in the electrics and find the right strings for my tastes. For some reason the tone pot has hardly no range and I want to change the cap. I have a lot of other non musical projects on my plate right now, but I do have a goal for posting clips of my playing someday soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0372-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0370-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0376-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0371-jpg 

Love that bridge!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmjones
    Love that bridge!
    Thanks. I guess that was kinda thinking what a prototype of some sort would be like. Can't wait to set it up with different strings. It has 11 Chromes on it now. For some reason I have never liked Chromes, but they are the only flats that Guitar Center carries. I have a set of Thomastick Swing 12's to try. Hopefully I will like them because they are expensive to experiment with.

User Info Menu

Gigged outside again yesterday. Big crowd, again. I _only_ took one guitar--my new Tele build. I took two amps, my Polytone MiniBrute 60 PA with MiniBrute III cabinet, and my 5e3 tweed Deluxe amp. I ended up, however, doing the entire gig on just the Deluxe. There was enough output from my 5e3, believe it or not, to get out to the entire crowd.

Love the Telecaster. By the way, on the both pickups setting there is nothing chimey-er than the White Rope Rumpelstiltskins by Aaron Campbell...NOTHING. I will include Rickenbacker in this comparison. Love the Telecaster.

User Info Menu

As promised... here's the build.
    Warmoth body and 24 3/4 conversion neck.
    Dimarzio Area T PUPS.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-imag0449-jpg
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-imag0450-jpg

User Info Menu

lammie 200...nice..& finally an ashtray bridge you can really use as an ashtray!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Finished my assembly. It has a 25 1/8" scale neck from Musikraft, a Fralin P92 pick up, and a one piece ash body. Setup went well and it intonates pretty much spot on. I still need to dial in the electrics and find the right strings for my tastes. For some reason the tone pot has hardly no range and I want to change the cap. I have a lot of other non musical projects on my plate right now, but I do have a goal for posting clips of my playing someday soon.
    Coolest bridge ive ever seen on a tele!

User Info Menu

l200- slot screws for 5 screw pg nice touch too..vintagey!!..the fine details

cheers