The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 21 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Posts 501 to 525 of 2243

User Info Menu

Baja necks are a thing of beauty. Hand filling, very soft V.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, BigDaddy, good to know.

I'm jealous of you guys and your thick necks (ha! That's not a series of words I thought I'd ever say!). My thumb joint is all messed up and I can't extend it more than a couple inches away from my pointer finger for a couple minutes before my hands freeze up in pain. Standard thin for me.

I even had to give up a nice semi hollow Gibson that I saved up for when I was 15. Neck started with a cherry finish and was down to clear maple I played it so much. But in the end, just couldn't play it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Thanks, BigDaddy, good to know.
    My rule of thumb with Fender necks is that a neck with a maple fretboard *may* be chunky, but the rosewood fretboard necks never are. And the 60's Baja has a rosewood fretboard.

User Info Menu

I guess I'm weird (Tell us something we don't know, Joe) in that I've never had much of a neck-profile preference.

User Info Menu

I like standard thin with tall frets myself. Years ago I tried a boatneck and couldn't deal with it.

User Info Menu

I wish I had a neck that combined a chunky profile with a 1.75" nut, but if I have to choose one, I'd pick the wider nut. And my ASAT is that, a 1.75" nut with a medium C profile.

User Info Menu

Im a full 1 inch fattie kinda guy. The radius I enjoy is a 10 or 12 with 6100- 6000 fret wire. My band mates can stand to play my Teles.

User Info Menu

Hammertone has a Tele with a big, round neck...and a 1.75" nut. Ask him what it's like.

Mine is 1" deep all the way up, with big round shoulders, but it isn't that wide. It's the best playing neck besides a Mechanicland that I have ever played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Hammertone has a Tele with a big, round neck...and a 1.75" nut. Ask him what it's like.

Mine is 1" deep all the way up, with big round shoulders, but it isn't that wide. It's the best playing neck besides a Mechanicland that I have ever played.
    Same here! I cant do a tapered neck. 1 inch top to bottom.

User Info Menu

I went with Warmoth's "boatneck" on my tele...1.75" at the nut.

It's wonderful. Put the same neck on my Jazzmaster. I'd put it on every guitar I own if I could.

User Info Menu

Well, I tried about a dozen Teles today in Edinburgh. Happy to report that all were good, no matter which price point. The cheapest was the Squire Classic Vibe 60s (around £400) with a rosewood fingerboard, the most expensive was a Fender Custom Shop (around £2500).

Two instruments stood out from the others: a Made In Japan Fender, with bevelled edges to the fingerboard, lots of nice detailing, great neck and fingerboard, easy to play. Tempting.

But, surprise, surprise (or not), the winner for me was the cheapest, the Squire CV 60s. It was neck and neck with the MIJ, but, believe it or not, the pickups had that tele punch the MIJ lacked. I seriously enjoyed playing it more than the Custom Shop model, which was also an excellent guitar.

I did try the Baja 60s model, and it was good - as I said, they were all good. Something for every taste. Some smooth, some trebly, some biting, some better at rhythm, some better at screaming blues lead. You have to try before you buy, and don't look at the price tag.

I own a Squire Vintage Modified Telecaster with a Creamery Wide Range neck pup, and a Jason Lollar Special T bridge pup. Very happy with that for blues, but I'd like another tele set up with heavier strings and different pups for jazz. The Squire CV 60s might be my choice. Unfortunately, I have zero spare cash at the moment!

User Info Menu

I like a neck I can bend easily.

User Info Menu

'83 is an anomaly in the pricing of old Telecasters. They tend to go for more than any other Tele from the 80s...chiefly because of the artists that selected the top-loader '83 as their weapon of choice. They happen to be uncommonly good Telecasters, too. You will end up paying a bit more for these last of the Fullerton era Teles.

I think that the one I used to own and gave to my son is a pretty spectacular guitar. My son plays keys in a band right now. The guitarist in his band has a Les Paul, but uses the '83 Telecaster instead--it's that good. (He runs it through my old '59 Reissue Bassman amp.)

User Info Menu

I´m looking at a carbonita now, it´s in my home country. Might get it for 250$, its in real good shape. It´s made in Mexico, but people say its a great value guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groover1999
    I´m looking at a carbonita now, it´s in my home country. Might get it for 250$, its in real good shape. It´s made in Mexico, but people say its a great value guitar.
    The Mexican Fenders are great, and $250 is a great price. I'd jump on it if I were you.

I have a MexiStrat, and I love it. There's very little I'd change. I could probably be persuaded to try different pickups, but it would just be for fun. The stock pickups sound great. I also have a Mexican Fender J-Bass. Also a great instrument. I modded that one with an active preamp, but it was great stock, too. The preamp just gives me a little more flexibility in dialing in the tones.

User Info Menu

Guthrie Trapp uses MIM pups in his custom built Tele, they sound amazing! Then again Guthrie can play a broom and make it sound great.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any experience with these newer rosewood neck american standard teles? Didn't even know they existed until today casually surfing through musician's friend.

For that matter, is it weird that I'm so into the idea of a rosewood neck on a tele?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz
    Does anyone have any experience with these newer rosewood neck american standard teles? Didn't even know they existed until today casually surfing through musician's friend.

For that matter, is it weird that I'm so into the idea of a rosewood neck on a tele?

In the 60's they used to be entirely rosewood.

George Harrison Rosewood Telecaster - Fender® Custom Shop | Fender® Custom Shop

User Info Menu

Ok. So, I know that this is supposed to be a "Tele-love" kinda thread. So, let me just say I really dig the Tele. I had an original vintage '72 Tele Custom that looked like it had been left underwater for a few years. I've never seen any relic job come remotely close to the way that that guitar looked. (If I can find a pic of that guitar tonight, I'll post it.) That guitar was ridiculously good. It had skinny frets and the 7.25 radius, too. While I'd prefer jumbo frets and a flat radius up top, that guitar just played amazingly well. It was good for no apparent reason. It just...was. And, did I mention that it was one of the lightest solid body guitars that I've ever played? Too bad I don't own it anymore.

Currently, I own an abused Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline w/ a transparent black mahogany body and a maple neck. It originally had Fender P-90 pickups. Then, I put Lollar P-90s in it. Now (I put them in a couple of weeks ago), it has a set of Vintage Vibe PAF humbuckers in P90 size. As much as I've attempted to gel w/ this guitar by upgrading saddles, the nut, and the pots, I think that I just prefer solid bodies made of ash or alder, I guess. This is a cool guitar, but it's just not the Tele that I'm looking for... I've played a lot of Teles. It's rare that I play one that I like as much as my old guitar. I guess that my old one was just special or something.

Sigh. This is currently my Tele, but I feel like I am just holding it for it's future owner. I won't own it for long.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20160820_125848_6121-jpg

(I'm not with her.)

User Info Menu

Nice. I like the airbrushed Silverado. I would like to see more airbrushed tributes like that on Teles.

User Info Menu

I think the RW neck w/surf green body looks VERY cool. Might be worth checking out

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-rockinthetele-jpg

Here's me rockin' my American Vintage '69 Thinline. Great for Rock, Jazz and everything in between.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele1-jpg
    Last edited by rhythmjones; 08-25-2016 at 09:37 AM.

User Info Menu

This is a demo of the Tele-culprit that I posted the pic of (the one with that sweet "airbrushed Silverado" - lol).

It sounds pretty nice in this low-quality video. So, I figured that I'd also share the vid here.

Last edited by wagz; 08-26-2016 at 07:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I cAVEd,..Telecaster Global Forum wins. So much for I really don't like the Tele shape but boy it's the most versatile guitar in the world. I went and assembled me a Tele "PartsCaster"!
    Used neck. Chambered body from eBay.
    Sound by Seymour. Pick guard by Warmouth.
    Other odds and ends. & Voila, so far so good!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_1835-jpg