The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 90 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 2248

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Anyone up for an online petition to make Fender recognise Mr Bickert in his lifetime???
    Ed responds himself to the question of recognition by Fender with a signature model, noting. "They wouldn't bother with a few people playing jazz." While that may change eventually, IMO he's right.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's my jazz-caster partscaster

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpg
    Last edited by fws6; 06-26-2016 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Best value compensated saddles are the Kluson harmonic saddles

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc_1163-640x360-jpg
    You can flip the D & G saddle for plain or wound G and work better with heavy gauge strings.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0344-640x478-jpg
    These are the Wilkinson ones. You need 2 sets for a plain G.

User Info Menu

I guess I have always been a Henry Ford kind of Telecaster guy. Telecasters in any color are okay, so long as they are Mary Kay white/butterscotch. I just like the old ones.

The only Fender-brand one that interests me, these days, is the Custom Shop No-caster. It has that chunky U-shaped neck, the right color, and the hardware is basic Telecaster. I can make that guitar do everything from "All The Things You Are," to "Buckaroo."

Still, I would prefer to find a 90s Tele with a neck made by Mechanicland. Those are THE fattest Tele necks I have ever played. Those big, round necks are just SO much more comfortable for average-sized hands, IMO. My hands look remarkably like Trump's. For me, the Elliot Mechanic neck from Canada--offered for a few years in the 90s--has never been trumped. ;-)

Over an inch at the first fret. Couple that with a good Fender body and decent hardware and you have probably the best solid-body guitar of all-time. I can't think of a genre of music that cannot be played convincingly on that guitar.

User Info Menu

I say WOW, to these two! I had no idea.

I've never seen this picture of Tedesco as a young man. Very Cool!!

One more thing... what's the story with SQUIRE telecasters? Did Fender stuck up all the wind?

Last edited by West LA Jazz; 06-26-2016 at 06:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice!..but why did you choose to install the pickup polepieces away from neck..the 24th fret node be close the other way around

cheers
    soundwise it doesnt matter. It is a nod to Keefs Micawber

I am still finishing that one, I need to slot the nut and set up / intonate it. Maybe I'll still turn it around

actually I am building two identical ones at the same time so maybe I ll sell one here later if anyones interested

User Info Menu

Made in Mexico vs Made in the USA - whats the big difference?

If they are using the same hardware, same woods, then whats the difference if it´s assembled in Mexico?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groover1999
    Made in Mexico vs Made in the USA - whats the big difference?

If they are using the same hardware, same woods, then whats the difference if it´s assembled in Mexico?
    I've heard that the USA shop gets arguably slightly better wood. But I've A/B'd a few Americans with a few Mexis, and honestly, the Americans might be a hair nicer cosmetically, but in terms of sound and playability, I don't see much of a difference. MexiTeles are one of the great values of the guitar world.

It's worth bearing in mind that the USA factory and the Mexico factory are less than 200 miles apart.

User Info Menu

And a few others!

Attachment 32821
    To be fair, I heard the story behind this photo was that Joe was handed the Tele, they took the picture and he handed it back!

User Info Menu

Made in Mexico vs Made in the USA - whats the big difference? If they are using the same hardware, same woods, then whats the difference if it´s assembled in Mexico?
    I had a couple MIM's about 10 years ago and the bodies were made of 4 pieces of alder glued together while the USA's I have had were 3 piece and custom shop is 2 or 3 piece. MIM were a bit heavier. Tuners are better on USA, bridge spacing is a bit narrower on MIM. USA standard has better pickups than MIM standard. Some MIM models have better pickups these days. I preferred the neck and playability of the MIM's. Really great feel to them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    To be fair, I heard the story behind this photo was that Joe was handed the Tele, they took the picture and he handed it back!
    Yeah, coz he was racing over to grab one of them Jaguars.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-download-1-jpg
    Lol

User Info Menu

I asked Fender today. The MIM teles have parts from all over the world: US, Asia etc. Made in US, had american parts: "mostly.." he finished that last sentence with mostly ^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    I had a couple MIM's about 10 years ago and the bodies were made of 4 pieces of alder glued together while the USA's I have had were 3 piece and custom shop is 2 or 3 piece.
    IIRC, the Mexican shop has improved quite a bit over the years. While I couldn't tell you how many pieces make up my MexiStrat body, it plays and sounds terrific.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I think you're paying for the fancy top.
    And the Fender logo on the headstock of a neck that may or may not be right for the purchaser. I would still rather build my own. Who am I kidding? I am in the process of doing that now

User Info Menu

American standard Tele(US) 750$?

User Info Menu

American standard Tele(US) 750$?
    That's not a terrible deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    That's not a terrible deal.
    If there´s no papers included, how do you authenticate it? Because one could just put an american neck on a random body, right?

User Info Menu

If there´s no papers included, how do you authenticate it? Because one could just put an american neck on a random body, right?
    I guess that's true, but it seems like an awfully elaborate way to scam someone. I suppose you could ask for the serial number and check it with Fender.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I guess that's true, but it seems like an awfully elaborate way to scam someone. I suppose you could ask for the serial number and check it with Fender.
    You´re right, it´s paranoia, but sometimes people do that stuff. The serial is branded on the neck, and checked it with a serial number gen. says it was made 2014-2015 at Corona factory. But maybe that price is a good price for a almost new guitar?

Digression: which would you choose, american standard or baja classic. Both cost the same

User Info Menu

You´re right, it´s paranoia, but sometimes people do that stuff. The serial is branded on the neck, and checked it with a serial number gen. says it was made 2014-2015 at Corona factory. But maybe that price is a good price for a almost new guitar?

Digression: which would you choose, american standard or baja classic. Both cost the same
    '50s or '60s Baja? Out of all of those I'd go for the '50s Baja because of the chunkier neck.

User Info Menu

Highway 1(not texas) just posted for 700$, nice price?

User Info Menu

Highway 1(not texas) just posted for 700$, nice price?
    That's what I've got. I think I paid $600 for mine (used) with a case. The Highway 1 models are very nice.

I bought it from a friend, so I'm not sure if the price I paid is market or a little below.

User Info Menu

So I can choose between:

American stand. 750$
    Highway 1 650$
    Highway 1 Texas 1000$
    Baja classic MIM 820$

Kinda want to make a decision now, and not pussyfoot around

User Info Menu

So I can choose between:

American stand. 750$
    Highway 1 650$
    Highway 1 Texas 1000$
    Baja classic MIM 820$

Kinda want to make a decision now, and not pussyfoot around

American Standard is the best deal of those, and would have the best resale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    American Standard is the best deal of those, and would have the best resale.
    Thanks, I don´t care about resale. Just about getting the best guitar, for the best price. And these are the guitars I can choose amongst right now