The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 90 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 2248

User Info Menu

Greentone, good to hear. I love the feel of the 9.5 radius neck on my new 60's Baja Tele, so with the increased string gauge I'm planning on spending a lot of time with it. The 4 way switching also adds another dimension to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Second mod complete on my tele now. After (one) getting a 25 inch scale conversion neck, custom out the wahzoo*, I installed Glendale compensated brass saddles (the set for heavier gauge strings). Hello proper intonation, hello preserved tele look and feel.

*not a real word AFAIK, so I'm spelling it without checking...

User Info Menu

Sorry for a question that might have been answer. Some backstory - I had a Mexican fender I got for 250 bucks. I put a Gibson burstbucker in the neck after cutting a space for it in the pick guard and a Lollar special T in the bridge. The sound was great but I hated the neck. I also destroyed the body in a refinish attempt after aggressive sanding.

I saw the Elite from the latest NAMM. It looks cool and the neck looks good. Before I try one and drop close to 2k on it should I be considering anything else ? I am out of the tele loop. incant find any jazz playing samples of it but the noodles pickups sound good. I'd like to find something that doesn't require mods and will play well without needing to take it anywhere (if that is possible)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Sorry for a question that might have been answer. Some backstory - I had a Mexican fender I got for 250 bucks. I put a Gibson burstbucker in the neck after cutting a space for it in the pick guard and a Lollar special T in the bridge. The sound was great but I hated the neck. I also destroyed the body in a refinish attempt after aggressive sanding.

I saw the Elite from the latest NAMM. It looks cool and the neck looks good. Before I try one and drop close to 2k on it should I be considering anything else ? I am out of the tele loop. incant find any jazz playing samples of it but the noodles pickups sound good. I'd like to find something that doesn't require mods and will play well without needing to take it anywhere (if that is possible)
    The first think you should ask yourself is which do you prefer, single coil or humbucker? If it's single coil, the Elites are on the pricey side.

You say you hated the neck on your MIM: explain.

User Info Menu

I liked the humbucker but I'm not adverse to a single coil if it is noiseless. When I saw that the body was already routed for a humbucker I decided to do that.

The radius was too curved for me and it was just a really cheap feeling neck, if that makes sense. I never opted for a replacement neck because I was also not a fan of the body because the paint/epoxy was so thick (hence the attempt at refinishing it). The frets were also a bit bigger than what I'd prefer. I have tried a few American Teles that's students have had and they felt great, although that was years ago so I need to get my hands on some now to reform my opinion. I don't even have a solid body at the moment so I am completely out of the loop.

User Info Menu

New kid on the block!

Vintage Gerry Donahue Tele....

Attachment 31197
    Only £280/$404/€355 street price....

Eh! 5 way switch mod, low output Strat neck p/u, alder body and maple neck for how much???

All ye newbie Tele-inquisitive pluckers should try this one out as well as the F&S stuff before spending all yer coin.

.....How much???????

Steal of the century!

User Info Menu

That's a great deal. If I didn't already have a Tele, I'd be interested.

User Info Menu

Highway 1 Tele with new Porter 9-T neck pup. (Apologies for the crappy photo quality. Should have put the flash on.)

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fullsizerender-1-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_1900-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's my archtop Tele (okay, ASAT Deluxe). This probably violates two cardinal rules of this forum, but here it is. It's really fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image1463624716-444004-jpg 

User Info Menu

Ever since I put the Porter in my Tele, it's becoming my favorite guitar to play. The Ibby will probably always be my baby, but the Tele has become my workhorse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksteijn
    Here's my archtop Tele (okay, ASAT Deluxe). This probably violates two cardinal rules of this forum, but here it is. It's really fun!

I was just looking at one of those - how do you like it compared to a Fender?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Ever since I put the Porter in my Tele, it's becoming my favorite guitar to play. The Ibby will probably always be my baby, but the Tele has become my workhorse.
    How does the Porter compare to a standard p90? A standard alnico neck pup?

User Info Menu

My Reverend Slingshot's neck is about that deep, with a rosewood board. U neck, for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    How does the Porter compare to a standard p90? A standard alnico neck pup?

I've never owned a standard P-90 guitar, so I couldn't say on that front. Compared to a standard Tele neck pickup the sound is hotter (more output), less bright (less twangy, but not not twangy, if that makes sense - it still sounds like a Tele), and just... bigger. I'm not really sure how "bigger" translates into something practical. I find the sound to be wonderfully balanced, where I thought the stock pup was a bit bright and thin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksteijn
    That's really sharp looking. One of these days I want to build a partcaster. I'd probably try to find a body similar to that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I've never owned a standard P-90 guitar, so I couldn't say on that front. Compared to a standard Tele neck pickup the sound is hotter (more output), less bright (less twangy, but not not twangy, if that makes sense - it still sounds like a Tele), and just... bigger. I'm not really sure how "bigger" translates into something practical. I find the sound to be wonderfully balanced, where I thought the stock pup was a bit bright and thin.
    I have an ASAT Special with Jumbo MFD pups. I think of their sound as "bigger", too. To me, this means more highs -- they don't drop off so soon, and more lows (ditto). I don't know if we have the same working def'n but we may.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    I was just looking at one of those - how do you like it compared to a Fender?
    I have never owned a Fender, so I can't say. But there are so many different Fenders... This is an outstanding guitar. The neck finish is so comfortable, it's remarkably easy to play. The neck is great. The controls feel solid. The tuners are very good quality. This is manufactured in Indonesia, but the build quality seems very high to me. I have to hand it to G&L. They seem to have both design and manufacturing figured out. If only I could have started out in the 70s with a guitar like this... I paid much more in 1973 dollars for an Aria Les Paul copy that was pretty much just junk compared to this guitar.

User Info Menu

I just finished this one this past week, set up with Chrome 11's

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20160530_181143_001-jpg

User Info Menu

Did Mike Stern get is requisite love for loving Teles of all kinds?

"I used to use an old Fender Telecaster that used to belong to Roy Buchanan. Actually, I bought it from Danny Gatton, who was a friend of his. Danny said, 'I’ve got to buy a used car, so give me $500.' It was a beauty, a priceless guitar. Anyway, it was stolen from me years later, but a guy in Boston had seen me play with that guitar, and built me a guitar like it. Then Yamaha wanted to endorse me and make a Mike Stern model, so they copied that one and added their own flavor to it. So I use a Tele-style guitar, a really cool-sounding guitar. I use with two amplifiers, a little bit of chorus, and a little bit of delay for more air.
    "
    Mike Stern
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-mike-stern-jpg 
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 06-10-2016 at 12:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Been seriously missing my "jazz" Telecaster. I used to keep two around: (1) a '52 reissue that was strung with .10-.48, like it was from the factory. That was my "country/rock/blues" Telecaster. (2) a '83 rosewood board, top-loader that I strung with .11-.50 flats. That was my quick run jazz guitar.

Long story short: I have been living in a Telecaster-free zone for about a year. It's pretty glum. I've been gigging with my Strat whenever a Tele would have been called for. Today, I strung up the Strat with Thomastik Infeld Swing flats, .11-.47, and I've been playing Ed Bickert-style stuff all morning.

Hmm? The Strat is pretty tasty with the elevens on there. However, it isn't a Telecaster.

SOON, I am going to have to get back into the Telecaster zone, again. I have my eye on a dealer buddy's Fender body/Elliot Mechanic neck guitar. We will see...
    Last edited by Greentone; 06-11-2016 at 12:59 PM.

User Info Menu

telecasters with flatwounds are beautiful things...and the flats don't have to be that heavy..10's or 11's can work nicely..take out some of brittleness inherent in teles and thunk 'em up a bit

other way i like a tele set up is ala james burton..super slinky 8's or 9's nps roundwounds..get that real snap & twang ala james, clarence white and don rich

hope you get that tele greentone

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Elliot's "Mechanicland" necks were made by Brian Monty, who is an excellent builder in Ontario. He'd be happy to build you a neck like that anytime, or an entire guitar, for that matter. If you want it to be based on his version of "the fattest neck possible" he could base it on his Mechanicland "Ballpark" neck profile, which is a thing of wonder. Whatever nut width, neck depth or profile you want. …
    FWIW, I took a few measurements of my Monty F-style necks:

Monty-built Mechanicland "Ballpark" strat neck:
    - 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
    - 1 1/8" deep at the first fret.
    - 1 1/8" deep at the 12th fret.
    - boatneck profile

Monty-built tele neck:
    - 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
    - 1" deep at the first fret.
    - 1" deep at the 12th fret.
    - halfway between a boatneck and a fatback profile

Brian is here:
    Monty Guitars
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-11-2016 at 09:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I used to have a mexican nashville in my first two years of music school...i put fralin pups in it, sold it for another guitar, which i still have, and I will say, i wish i never did...i miss it dearly

User Info Menu

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Telecaster jazz tone sound. It blows me away from time to time actually.

I have one hang up about it and it's the weirdest thing. From a visual / design standpoint, something about the overall "imbalance of the guitar's shape (the body versus neck & head) just kills whatever "it" is for me. I don't know what it is beyond what what my brain perceives as a very unique but imbalanced design. I've tried to figure out what it is that stops me from digging the design but I had to give up after fruitless tries.

Go Tele lovers!

User Info Menu

maybe an original snakehead tele be more to your symmetrical well being

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-limted_snake_head_telecaster_sh43_a-jpg

hah

cheers