The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 90 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 2249

User Info Menu

Would like one with a Broadcaster flat pole bridge PU, and I miss that old 7.5 inch radius. With a U neck. Ahhhh,,,,,dream on,,,,,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thrush40
    And "stock" in this case means ...?
    It's a Highway 1 Tele. Don't know the year. I haven't changed anything on it, and as far as I know, neither did the previous owner.

User Info Menu

I've had a few teles. My current tele is a Highway 1. Fender really got the recipe right with this one. I think the thin nitro finish and quality components used for this model are just terrific. And the PU's on it are terrific. Nothing about the Highway 1 needs to be changed!

Disclosure: You may notice in my other thread, however, that I am making modifications!

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-airline2ptfront-845x298-jpeg

Eastwood custom shop Airline Tele-esque guitar.

If you don't know Eastwood select the older quirky guitar designs and re-issue them. They trial the idea and look for crowd funding to get the ideas off the ground. The more successful designs go into full production.

This guitar is at 50% funding.

Here's a link to this guitar Airline ?59 2PT ? Eastwood Custom Guitars

Here's a link to their proposed newer designs Current Projects ? Eastwood Custom Guitars Check out their Black Widow and Micro Frets Space tone

User Info Menu

Here's my new "Telecaster", a G&L ASAT Classic USA. What a fantastic guitar, just played it for a couple of hours and I'm really impressed, blows away any Telecaster I played. I'll write a review because this guitar deserves it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-glasatclassicusa-png 

User Info Menu

I just got my tele back from a luthier friend of mine, Francesco Lascala, that today finished changing neck and pickups.

The new neck is a Musikraft in roasted quartersawn maple with 1-3/4 nut width, medium C profile; the neck pocket of the Warmoth body had to be made deeper by about 3mm (making the neck end shallower was not possible due to the neck profile). Francesco finished the neck with Tru oil, while the body was previously finished by him with amber shellac.

The new pickups are Lollar Charlie Christian, neck and bridge. I bought them after seeing the Tim Lerch videos about them. Unfortunately, I am not Time Lerch, so I get nothing barely resembling what he plays in the videos, but I am having a lot of fun.

The strings are Thomastik Bebop 012; on the neck pickup the G string (plain) is louder than the D string (round), but this has been somehow mitigated by moving the pickup farther from the strings.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-_dsc5413-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-_dsc5412-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-_dsc5411-jpg
    Last edited by rgiaccio; 10-08-2016 at 01:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I may have posted this before but I just changed the pup so here's another pic of my G&L Bluesboy. I earlier swapped the electronics/jack but left the stock pickup. I lived with it for a while and it was OK, but not the sound I was looking for. I just put in a Pete Biltoft P90 and had it set up properly and with heavier flats... huge improvement, and a very minimal investment for a easy playing, great sounding gig-worthy guitar and a great excuse for another picture!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-jpg
    Last edited by AlohaJoe; 04-10-2016 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Do most folks tend to mod their teles for jazz? Mine is bone stock. I like the sound, but I've seen pages touting a
    "jazz switch" mod that darkens the sound.
    Yeah. I was just tooling around the forum and saw this. I am always amazed at all the modifications that are being made on these to get that 'jazz' sound..(1) Why go buy a real Fender Telecaster then change everything on it which make it a FT in the first place ? (2) This whole hoo ha about 'getting that jazz sound'. I can't understand why, with the tone control on the guitar and the myriad of tone controls/EQ on near every decent amplifier, what the big deal is.. Traditional jazz guitar calls for a soft, not loud, velvety smooth sound. Everyone seems to be so teched-out today just to play "Well You Needn't, All the Things UR, Cherokee, Who can I Turn to ?, Moment's notice, Bluesette", Et Al. I mean, all this electronics minutia. Buy the axe (perhaps have it set up if need be). Buy an amp. Turn on (both ways if you like), plug in, tune up, set the tone/volume and play....I wouldn't mind owning a Tele. If I had the $ for it I'd find the best, non-vintage, authentic Tele and play it when I want a Tele jazz sound or physical feel of same...set the volume/tone and play, knowing I'm playing a real Tele....not a Qurcinone pickup, Magnanex neck, with a platraphonix double roll over, segregated bi-flow non-lineated plaxton coil, and Jigronelli non flaring hypropmeter jack, iron-gold filtered frets, molybdenum filled Schatnerz tuners, and NGFeermont flatwounds, all tolling $3,201.00, minus tele itself, to play for $50 a night at Judy's Jazz Joint !!!
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 04-09-2016 at 08:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Agreed.

Stock Fender neck pickup is perfect for jazz.

But remember, a tele player's motto is, "if it ain't broke, fix it til it is."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLA
    ...not a Qurcinone pickup, Magnanex neck, with a platraphonix double roll over, segregated bi-flow non-lineated plaxton coil, and Jigronelli non flaring hypropmeter jack, iron-gold filtered frets, molybdenum filled Schatnerz tuners, and NGFeermont flatwounds, all tolling $3,201.00, minus tele itself, to play for $50 a night at Judy's Jazz Joint !!!
    Crap! I just spent a fortune on a segregated bi-flow plaxon coil but it's lineated! Maybe they'll take it back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLA
    Yeah. I was just tooling around the forum and saw this. I am always amazed at all the modifications that are being made on these to get that 'jazz' sound..(1) Why go buy a real Fender Telecaster then change everything on it which make it a FT in the first place ? (2) This whole hoo ha about 'getting that jazz sound'. I can't understand why, with the tone control on the guitar and the myriad of tone controls/EQ on near every decent amplifier, what the big deal is.. Traditional jazz guitar calls for a soft, not loud, velvety smooth sound. Everyone seems to be so teched-out today just to play "Well You Needn't, All the Things UR, Cherokee, Who can I Turn to ?, Moment's notice, Bluesette", Et Al. I mean, all this electronics minutia. Buy the axe (perhaps have it set up if need be). Buy an amp. Turn on (both ways if you like), plug in, tune up, set the tone/volume and play....I wouldn't mind owning a Tele. If I had the $ for it I'd find the best, non-vintage, authentic Tele and play it when I want a Tele jazz sound or physical feel of same...set the volume/tone and play, knowing I'm playing a real Tele....not a Qurcinone pickup, Magnanex neck, with a platraphonix double roll over, segregated bi-flow non-lineated plaxton coil, and Jigronelli non flaring hypropmeter jack, iron-gold filtered frets, molybdenum filled Schatnerz tuners, and NGFeermont flatwounds, all tolling $3,201.00, minus tele itself, to play for $50 a night at Judy's Jazz Joint !!!
    Ain't that the zeitgeist just about everywhere, not only among jazz guitarists with a Tele? People tend to sensationalize just about everything they're doing. All in all, modding a Tele seems pretty harmless and trivial to me. Especially if it's fun to those who do it. You sound a little bitter in your statement and I don't think it's worth it.

User Info Menu

If I could get a G&L ASAT Special(I think it is), with the MFD PU's and the set into the body bridge, I don't think I'd touch it, but that's shopping before you get it. I'm pretty blessed with what I have, at least.

User Info Menu

Hot-rodding is a venerable tradition and the Telecaster is the '32 Ford Deuce Coupe of electric guitars. It's particularly amenable to mods as just about everything is either right out in the open or easily accessible with simple tools. You can mess around to a considerable extent without even taking the strings off. The Tele is not the Mona Lisa. It's way cooler than that. No disrespect to Leonardo's portrait intended, but even if I owned the ML, it would have been out of place in the dives I used to play....

User Info Menu

You just gotta love it!

User Info Menu

You and your Tele may be cool. But you'll never be this cool...

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-screenu00252bshotu00252b2011-01-04u00252batu00252b7-23-15u00252bpm-png

RIP Prince.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately its not me and my Tele, it's Tim and his Tele. But yeah, of course RIP Prince.

User Info Menu

Prince had that Tele a long time. Played it at the Super Bowl and a rollicking solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the George Harrison tribute show, among other things both much earlier and later. Dude had chops and great tone.

Re: MarkInLA's comment... IMHO, YMMV, etc., jazz tone on a Tele = Ed Bickert. Who played a stock, plain old Tele for 15 years without changing anything but strings. Plug it in, roll off some treble, play jazz. He later had a Gibson humbucker put in so that individual string balance could be adjusted. Sounded pretty much the same. Probably played that guitar for 25+ years.

I've got a Tele (Affinity, actually) that I put Dimarzio Area Z pickups in. The originals were fine but buzzy, the Area Ts are dead quiet. Sounds great for jazz. My parts-Tele had a Pete Biltoft CC in it, that is a different animal altogether... and sounds great for jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    jazz tone on a Tele = Ed Bickert. Who played a stock, plain old Tele for 15 years without changing anything but strings. Plug it in, roll off some treble, play jazz. He later had a Gibson humbucker put in so that individual string balance could be adjusted.
    I can sympathize. I've struggled with the string balance on the neck pup, specifically the plain G and the wound D strings. I tried a McNelly T-bar -- screw pole pieces, built kinda like a mini p90 -- and that worked well, though I had to wind my PRRI's treble up to 6 to get it bright enough. Sold the guitar I installed them in and got an Am Special with -- probably -- Texas Specials in it. The balance was not too bad, but the G string still had a tendency to pop out and the D string was a little quiet.

Finally, I bought a set of Fralins, 2% overwound neck with hybrid stagger magnets -- an extra long D pole that sticks out the bottom of the pup. That did it! Sweet alnico chime, no perceived string imbalances and I've reset the treble on my amp back down to 3. To get a "jazz" tone, all that's needed is to roll the tone knob down slightly, i.e. to get rid of the "chime".

Now I need to find the perfect bridge to go with it. The current bridge Fralin can get a bit piercing when playing the treble strings higher up the neck, I'm thinking of trying a Fralin Half & Half.

My 82 mij squeir

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I don't get guitar GAS often but I am taken with this new John Jorgenson signature model from Fret King. Gibson-esque neck feel and radius, Gretsch-meets-Tele styling and a couple of nifty noise-reduction / tone-shaping features.

User Info Menu

Almost done - a new Tele is born!!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-telewalnut-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting placement of strap buttons !

User Info Menu

Just dropped off my new Baja 60's at Elderly to have pure nickel 12 gauge strings installed and setup. Hope I haven't gone too heavy ? Their great on my Eastman 503CE.

User Info Menu

While I love archtops, and have been playing them for quite some time (8 years [32, if you count all of the semi-hollows I've played over the years]), I also love Teles. My current Tele is a 2014 Fender 60s Baja Tele, that replaced my previous Tele Thinline, due to the fact that its rosewood fingerboard was easier to re-fret (due to a severe nickel allergy, I need to have any guitars I own, re-fretted with Jescar Evo Gold, hypoallergenic fret wire; in the process of re-fretting a maple fingerboard guitar, some of the clear finish gets busted up around the frets, and though it can get replaced/repainted after refretting, it never looks quite right). I'm glad I did the deed. My 60s Baja Tele is a killer guitar. It came stock with great pickups (neck - Fender American Vintage 52, and bridge - Fender American Vintage 58). While I don't use its stock S1 switching option (which creates out of phase tones) very often, it is nice to have it available. It also has a 4 position switch. 3 of the positions provide your standard Tele pickup combinations, while the 4th position wires the neck and bridge pickups in series to act like a humbucker, which not only provides raging tone, when you crank the gain up, sounds oh so smoooooooth, when you turn things down. It also has a 60s C-profile neck, that has enough heft to it, to keep my fretting hand happy (I don't like thin necks).

There's something about a good Tele. It's capable of playing anything, and sounding good at it IMO. Rock? Sure! Country? Yep. Jazz? Of course! Listen to the killer sounds players like Ed Bickert, and Bill Frisell get from theirs. My Tele is going nowhere.

My 2014 Fender 60s Baja Telecaster
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 05-01-2016 at 01:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm between Telecasters right now. I've owned a bunch. Sold my last one so I could get a GREAT, once in a lifetime, archtop I wanted. Now, I am looking again for a Telecaster. This time, it has to have the fattest neck possible.

I got spoiled playing and gigging on a buddy's Telecaster with Elliot Mechanic neck. Holy smoke! That's the best, most original, Broadcaster neck I have ever run across. Next time I get a Telecaster in my hands with a neck that fat...WHAM! The money is on the counter.