The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 104

User Info Menu

What is the best guitar polish that doesn't hurt nitro lacquer and doesn't leave oily buildup?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like Virtuoso cleaner and polish. Works really well.

Best Guitar Polish for Removing Smudges/Grime?-virtuoso-guitar-polish-jpg

User Info Menu

Saliva.

*Not* joking.

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that polishing, is, in many cases, the process of creating progressively finer scratches onto the surface of something. Honestly, this is what gemstone polishing does. (Kind of ironic----the "perfect" finish is really massive imperfections etched into the surface.)

The same is true with car polishes...they contain abrasives....which produce tiny scratches...which reflect light back...using really, really fine sandpaper or abrasive powders dissolved, then it gets dirty, and we get to clean it.

For many things, a lot of polishing is like cleaning teeth...a bit is OK, but too much and you're wearing away enamel, or the surface finish.

I'm a minimalist...a damp rag...saliva is sterile and will dissolve some grease, dirt, as it literally does contain digestive enzymes.

I'd be wary of anything that ends up having color come off into the polishing cloth.

User Info Menu

Hey Jack, every time I'm done playing I spray a microfiber towel with 2 spritz's of zymol quick detailer and wipe down the guitar. I flip the towel over and buff it with the dry side. Leaves it decontaminated, smooth and fresh. No oily residue. $10.00 at autozone.
    Attached Images Attached Images Best Guitar Polish for Removing Smudges/Grime?-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

I use something called "Lizard Spit". Been using it for years, smells great, cleans good. I would also recommend purchasing a nice cleaning cloth as this also does wonders.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Hey Jack, every time I'm done playing I spray a microfiber towel with 2 spritz's of zymol quick detailer and wipe down the guitar. I flip the towel over and buff it with the dry side. Leaves it decontaminated, smooth and fresh. No oily residue. $10.00 at autozone.

Interesting. Does this have the traditional zymol fruit smell? (I use zymol when I get up the initiative, about once every five years, to wax my car.)

User Info Menu

I have tried everything under the sun including car care products and nothing beats Virtuoso cleaner and polish but they are both creams so it takes a bit longer than a mist and wipe product. If you are in a hurry what Joe or Danny uses but if you are looking for a shine that needs sunglasses then Virtuoso. Also you can just tell immediately that nitro lacquer just loves this stuff.

User Info Menu

The virtuoso is a sealant. The spray retailers maintain so you don't have to reapply so often.
    Virtuoso is amazing.

User Info Menu

Joe I beg to differ with my friend. Virtuoso is not a sealant. It is a polish. See for yourself on their website. It is not a wax or a sealant like Menzerna is. I do use mist products for quickie cleans but when I get serious I use Virtuoso. You should not use a wax or a sealant on nitro finishes as it needs to breathe. Now as far as gold plate goes nothing beats the Menzerna you turned me on to.

User Info Menu

If it is organic stuff like sweat stains or dried sweat slurry, mild foamy hand soap and a lightly dampened i.e. not sopping wet cotton cloth works wonders. Follow up with a dry cotton cloth. Make sure that there aren't any cracks in the lacquer though. Or try naptha on stubborn stains.

And I think that the guitar is as clean as it needs to be. It won't have the showroom shine of a Virtuoso-ed guitar but it will be clean.

User Info Menu

Per Gibson the only wax that should be used would be a all natural carnauba as it has a "breathing quality" to it.
    I bought a new Black Lucille in the 90's. It must of had a fair amount of moisture in the wood. I wanted it to shine like a black limo so I put a couple coats of sealant and wax on it. A couple weeks later it had water blisters all over it. I popped one and you could see the moisture. This would not have happened if I didn't clog up the lacquer so the moisture could escape. I ruined that guitar. Cars are metal and don't need to breathe. Guitars are wood that do. Now if we are talking a poly finish than put what ever you want on it. If your guitar is old then putting a sealant on it is probably pretty safe but if it is newish I would not. Also if you put a sealant on nitro and use a humidifier how is the moisture going to get in ? I guess it can still get in somewhat through the F-holes ? I'm a west coast boy so I don't use one and am no expert.

User Info Menu

Vin, I don't know much but I know something about this. Virtuoso "polish" is more of a protecting product. It contains a mild cleaner they won't disclose what it is but it leaves a Glaze behind to protect the surface. Glazes and sealants are basically the same thing. It also offers uv protection. It's a polish and a surface protectant all in one. It's on there website.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe. I guess I am wrong. I always thought a sealant and a wax sealed and a polish just polished.
    My bad. I still believe a nitro finish needs to breath as that is the big purpose of using it. Their must be a breathing quality to the Virtuoso like their is with carnauba ? or am I incorrect there too ?

User Info Menu

There's nothing better for my smudges and grunge than Virtuoso polish. The "polish" cleans too. I bought a guitar a few days ago that had user grunge on it. The Virtuoso "polish", not the cleaner, removed all the grunge. One only needs to use a small amount to clean and polish the entire surface of the guitar. A small $9 bottle will last several years. I tried Zymo, after being recommended here a few years ago, and personally didn't care for it. I'll never use anything but Virtuoso polish. I bought the cleaner too, but it's not necessary to use for anything but hardcore cases, imo.

User Info Menu

i've been using liquid guardsmen polish for years (they have an aerosal now, which i don't use)..always great results

"Unlike some polishes, Guardsman contains no waxes, abrasives or silicones and leaves no greasy film or build up. Recommended by furniture makers, Guardsman is excellence in furniture care since 1915."

Best Guitar Polish for Removing Smudges/Grime?-61int9j97ml-_sl1500_-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

I'd be careful with car care products -- there are funky solvents in some stuff.

I'm working through a bottle of Dunlop 65 which has been great. no complaints, no problems & great results on Gibson etc. Really, I love it! I haven't gotten around to Virtuoso yet, but it's next on the test list for sure . . .

If you are working on vintage or precious instruments, less chemicals is more IMO. An old 100% cotton rag goes a long ways with spit . . . same with hardware -- gold or whatever.

In the art world (which I know better than guitar world), plain old fashioned baking soda applied with a tooth brush is preferred by many curators for polishing silver artifacts. Just so we're clear, baking soda on a guitar is a very bad idea, but a similar minimalist approach is probably a good mentality for a nice guitar. Might be a useful analogy.

If you're looking for a truly authoritative voice on instrument polish & cleaning, I'd visit the best violin shop in town. Those guys operate on a very high technical level.

User Info Menu

One thing I do know is most car care products contain silicone so be very careful if you decide to use one. Do your research. I have heard good things about Guardsman also but never used it. The Fender mist and wipe is pretty good stuff but the best of the best is Virtuoso IMO. Of course we all have our strong opinions but if someone knows of something better than Virtuoso please post what it is so I can try some. Me and my guitars will thank you. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Thanks Joe. I guess I am wrong. I always thought a sealant and a wax sealed and a polish just polished.
    My bad. I still believe a nitro finish needs to breath as that is the big purpose of using it. Their must be a breathing quality to the Virtuoso like their is with carnauba ? or am I incorrect there too ?
    Your not wrong bro. Your eyes tell you what's good and the virtuoso is good. The facts about carnauba are a little sketchy. Wax containing carnauba has a lot of other stuff if in it. I believe the most amount of carnauba that any wax can contain is roughly 60%. So there's other stuff in it.
    Also, the information on the virtuoso website is nebulous. But the science to this stuff is pretty basic.
    JD

User Info Menu

I am already missing Patrick chiming in on a post like this. :-(

User Info Menu

Joe I have used S100 carnauba wax in the past which claims to be 100% Brazilian carnauba and nothing else with great results but still not as good as Virtuoso.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 08-25-2015 at 06:33 PM.

User Info Menu

try the guardsman!!!…it was/is? martin guitars oem polish supplier…and a bottle will last ages! and clean any furniture in the house besides!! as long as it finished..not raw wood...

guardsman besides no wax, abrasive or silicones also contains no petroleum distillates..i am not that familiar with virtuoso, but apparently it does!..its hazardous material

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-25-2015 at 06:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I am already missing Patrick chiming in on a post like this. :-(
    Patrick was a Virtuoso man. Patrick turned me on to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    try the guardsman!!!…it was/is? martin guitars oem polish supplier…and a bottle will last ages! and clean any furniture in the house besides!! as long as it finished..not raw wood...

guardsman besides no wax, abrasive or silicones also contains no petroleum distillates..i am not that familiar with virtuoso, but apparently it does!..its hazardous material

cheers
    Not "hazardous" to Nitro finishes...quite the contrary actually.

Virtuoso Premium Polish and Cleaner - Home

http://theguitarrepairworkshop.com/virtuoso-polish/

I've only once used the "cleaner." For most "cleaning" jobs the polish will do the job.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-25-2015 at 06:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm a happy Smith Pro Formula Polish user.

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Smith-Pro-.../dp/B0002GHSYS