Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gibson

73 30.17%
  • Sadowsky

31 12.81%
  • Collings

40 16.53%
  • Others (ibanez, yamaha, heritage, etc)

98 40.50%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 131

User Info Menu

Hi, i originaly created this thread on thegearpage ( Semihollow battle... Collings, sadowsky, Gibson ES... What would you get and why? | The Gear Page )

I just wanted to see what'd happen in the jazz forum.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from actual owners! thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I were poor- Who am I kidding? If I had to buy one, I'd look at Ibanez. Already have an Ibanez hollowbody with which I'm very satisfied, and I doubt their semi-hollows would be sub-par.

Somehow, I do own a Gibson ES(139) and I am extremely happy with it. Amazing neck, possibly the best neck I've ever played.

User Info Menu

ok..i'll play

no doubt..collings

every guitar i've ever seen, picked up or played by them has been exceptional from fit and finish to tone

gibson usa qc is now all over the place…no blanket statements can be made…i've seen all sorts of questionable fit and finish issues these last years…you might get a great one, you might not

sadowsky..is a a mia guitar that's tweaked to perfection stateside..but still

my 2¢

cheers

addenda- tho thinking, im sentimental traditionalist..armed with XXXXXX$$$$ i'd probably search out a nice new gibson..haha
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-19-2015 at 08:00 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

I've got a Sadowsky Jim Hall (used) a Kirn Tele, and a Craigslist MIM Strat. Sold a Custom Shop 335, and wasn't knocked out by a 175 I took a long look at. Got to stop worrying about brands.

User Info Menu

I have had a Gibson ES-335 (Larry Carlton) a fine instrument!

I have a Collings I35LC. I love the Collings.

I have had a LS17 and Jimmy Bruno, not semis but still Sadowskys...great instruments!

I have a Comins GCS1-ES excellent guitar...underrated imho. (just threw that in there )

Semi-Hollow Guitars - Collings vs Sadowsky vs Gibson-a_zps5ati7ud9-jpg
    Last edited by Eric Rowland; 03-02-2016 at 04:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Gibson 335 for me...

User Info Menu

My semi hollow Tele. I don't usually play standing and have never found the 335 style guitars comfortable seated.

User Info Menu

If I ever need a semi hollow, and hopefully I don't, it probably will be a Guild Starfire Hoboken era. I don't like Gibson, Collings are not aesthetically pleasing to me, even though Im sure they sound great, and I'm not too crazy about other brands either... Im odd, I know...

User Info Menu

I think overall if you find the right Gibson ES-335 that would make most people happiest. But you certainly can find great alternatives as well, both $ and $$$$$$$$

User Info Menu

There are a lot of great semis out there, and they are all a bit different. Even among es-335 models and eras there is some difference in feel and sound. If you can - visit a lot of shops and see what moves you. From 1980 - 2013 I've tried and bought a lot of semis, I loved the idea of an ES-335 but none was right. Finally the 50th Anniversary 1963 ES-335 nailed my expectations, with the 50th Anniversary 1960 coming in a close second; aside from these 2 models all others were far off the mark for me. The right semi is a wonderful guitar.

User Info Menu

No brainier for me. I owned a Collings (2 actually) a Gibson 335 and the undisputed winner in my studio is my Thorn Grantura. Really not a fair fight. They cost more but I didn't see a limitation on price.

User Info Menu

I'd get an old Stromberg and call it a day:

User Info Menu

There are so many good semi-hollows out there, you just have to find the right one for you and your style of music. Right now I have 3:

Seventy Seven Albatross Jazz This is a small-bodied semi with a flat solid spruce top. As flawless an instrument as I've ever seen. The pickups somehow manage to be warm yet detailed. It sounds beautiful clean, or with some distortion. Versatile, easy to play, lightweight. Great value. Because these are not well known, resale value can suffer. But I'm keeping mine!

Collings Soco Deluxe A beautiful, perfect instrument. Nobody needs to have a guitar this nice (and expensive!) I don't really like fancy, luxury guitars. Kind of showoff-y, if you know what I mean. But it's soooo nice, and I got an unbelievable deal on this one from a private seller. Lightweight and comfortable to play, sitting or standing. I really, really didn't like the Lollar low-wind pickups that came with this guitar. But they're gone now.

Gibson ES-335 OK, I have a 1964, not something you can just run out and buy. Mine's a monster, a freak, a beast, and my #1 choice for most gigs. The best for rock, blues and R&B. A magic guitar. But I play the Collings more at home because it's a little smaller and more comfy sitting down. 335s can vary a lot, depending on when they were made, pickups, and model. So you may have to try a few. The newer 60s reissues are lightweight and seem to be built like the old ones and are reputed to be very good.

Last edited by Gilpy; 08-20-2015 at 12:44 PM.

User Info Menu

That's a nice "Vintage Yellow" Exrubato Custom, Bob. That's how Seventy-seven Guitars described it and I thought it looked like pee in the original photos. I regret not choosing it now as it looks a very nice Honey Blonde in your photo. The VY finish is no longer offered.

I have 2 Exrubato Customs (Transparent Black and Iced Tea Burst), one Hollow (Antique Sunburst), one Jazz (Natural) and one Standard (Natural). I got them in 2010/2011. Some of the best ES-3x5 types around.

I PM-ed Ruiz and told him that for his jazz studies his best bet was to find a Sadowsky SS-15 used. I even showed him where he could find one for sale. I feel that Ruiz should also consider the Seventy-seven Hawk or Hawk Jazz.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-20-2015 at 03:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, it looks much nicer in person than in pics. That guitar is one I wish I never sold. I originally ordered it for myself, and then the fusion band I was working with folded unexpectedly and I thought, Ill just order another. Didnt happen though. I think I might be able to get them to do another in that finish . Might be a small upcharge. I cant think of another guitar made today that is built better than the Seventy Seven line, I still have a hell of a time selling them though. Funny thing is, I usually wind up selling a second one to players who wind up buying one. Bob

User Info Menu

And Sadowsky has drawn alongside Gibson with Others ahead by a nose.

User Info Menu

Sadowsky JH -- for single note clarity and chord tone clarity and overall warmth.

Beautiful Instrument!!
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 08-21-2015 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

My personal favorite is made by Chuck Thornton. His "Professional" model is 14" semi-hollow body that start at ~$4,600. Don't let the single cutaway fool you. The upper fingerboard access is fantastic with his heel design.

User Info Menu

Interesting. TGP polled 6.5% for the Sadowsky. That is to be expected from TGP. Not too many jazz cats there.

Ruiz, I really wouldn't buy a used ES-335 without inspecting it or playing it in person unless the seller is known to be an upstanding person. Gibson Memphis churns out too many of them too fast. There are bound to be ones with QC issues. You don't want to get one of those that someone is trying to fob off on the unwary. You are from Colombia and your odds of returning it if it is no good are...no good.

If you really want a used Gibson ES-335 go to a good Gibson dealer like Dave's Guitars. Ask Dave's to check it thoroughly for truss rod issues, ABR-1 posts issues, etc.. Anything that may bother you in the slightest, ask Dave's to check it out. And when you are happy, buy it in confidence.

I would stay away from a 2012 ES-335 because as vinny said, the 2-layer laminate Indian Rosewood fretboard is very rigid and will damage the truss rod if the Dan Erlewine method is not used to set neck relief.

There is a reason why the Sadowsky is slightly ahead in the polls here. Sadowsky archtops are a known quality, both in construction, playability and tone, amongst jazz guitarists here. You simply cannot go wrong with a Sadowsky archtop especially since you say that you will be studying jazz. I pointed you to a used excellent plus condition Sadowsky SS-15 selling for $2400+. The same shop also has a used excellent plus Sadowsky Semi asking for $1880+. Smart money says, pick one up. Put the savings in your pocket for food, books, strings or a good amp. You haven't thought about an amp, have you?

I love the Gibson ES-335 Memphis. But I simply won't recommend it to anyone as his one and only guitar to be used in his jazz studies, especially a young student who usually does not have much money, especially one that is bought blind over the web. You don't have time to deal with issues and downtime when it goes down. A Gibson ES-335 is a nice guitar but don't make it your only guitar. You must own a reliable workhorse. Make the workhorse a Sadowsky archtop.

But it is really up to you.

User Info Menu

I am shocked it took this long to get someone to even mention a Yamaha SA 2200. For the $ they are the best I have heard. And they are the smoothest thing going for playability. The Ibanez JSM100 is its modern and probably more celebrated counterpart but the Yammy is better/smoother to me. Fit and finish is perfect on every one I have seen, and even when 'nice and mojo-ed', I think they are the bees knees.

And someone mentioned the Gibson Johnny A the other day. Not exactly a 335-type, but close enough...

I like the Eastman El Rey guitars as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by travisty
    I am shocked it took this long to get someone to even mention a Yamaha SA 2200. For the $ they are the best I have heard. And they are the smoothest thing going for playability. The Ibanez JSM100 is its modern and probably more celebrated counterpart but the Yammy is better/smoother to me. Fit and finish is perfect on every one I have seen, and even when 'nice and mojo-ed', I think they are the bees knees.

And someone mentioned the Gibson Johnny A the other day. Not exactly a 335-type, but close enough...

I like the Eastman El Rey guitars as well.

HA! I know. When I opened that guitar and looked at it (SA2200), I almost fell off my stool - and then I played it and fell of my stool! Yes it's quite insane that SA2200. My mistake was to look over my shoulder and drool at Sadowsky! I was even tempted to sell it and pool the money for the Sadowsky but I need the extra frets. The last guitar I'll ever buy is the Sadowsky semi hollow - that's IT! ;-)

Sco is too tied to the model he plays so I steered clear of that. His headstock is very very sweet looking. If it's anything near the Yamaha in craftsmanship and it looks like it is, it's beyond a winner! Similar features too it looks like.

I have never touched an El Rey but seriously, I probably could have done just fine with my two current Eastmans although the thinner body of the Sadowsky is enticing. I think the El Rey might have almost the same thickness as the Sadowsky.
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 08-27-2015 at 12:54 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a beaten up SA2200 and a JSM100. I would rather have an AS200 but I got a deal on the pair (SA2200 and JSM100). The JSM100 is mint(y) and the SA2200 has a corner knocked off the headstock. I prefer the color of the JSM100 too. But I would sell the JSM100 first. the only reason I will sell the SA2200 is if I find another.

To me, the frets are a bit high on the JSM100. Think Sco wanted that because he beats them up. Or has really toughed up finger pads. I like the AS200 better because more like an SA2200.

Don't know about the Sadowskys. Never played one.

User Info Menu

I just got my SA2200. Tried bidding on a few here and lost and so I found a store in Germany that shipped one to me from Japan. I tested it out and put it away for a while all that craftsmanship made me nervous. I'm used to cheaper guitars. My Eastman T185MX is a WORKHORSE! I'm going to have to get the nerve to put the 2200 in the regular rotation.

I was in NYC a few months ago but the Sadowsky store was closed. My fault I should have called earlier. Everything I've heard says they're mint. Now I see this Thorn Grantura that's costs as much as a used Honda! SHEESH

User Info Menu

I'm a 335 guy. Been playing one for years. However, we shouldn't forget The Heritage H-535 and H-555 models. They are beautifully executed and they sound and play GREAT! Check out clips, in particular, of the 555 on YouTube. That guitar kills. [Patrick2 would applaud this inclusion.]

Semi-Hollow Guitars - Collings vs Sadowsky vs Gibson-heritage-555-jpg
    Last edited by Greentone; 08-27-2015 at 10:56 AM.

User Info Menu

1992 I had a horrible case of gas for a semi-hollow body. Spent months playing guitars at Zavarella's Chuck Levins, Rolls, (all Metro DC stores). Had pretty much decided on a 335 when the salesman at Chucks asked if I was aware of Heritage Guitars, he handed me a new 535, within a week I bought the 535, loved the fit, finish, playability, it spoke to me. Still have it, love playing it, no regrets.

Semi-Hollow Guitars - Collings vs Sadowsky vs Gibson-img_0479-jpg
    Last edited by Dirk; 06-17-2020 at 08:47 AM.