The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Yes, that's the one. Works great.
    Thanks C5, you mentioned back somewhere that the clip on is sort of tenuous. Do you know if it can be adapted to the DPA cello mount?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say the clip is "tenuous", it works fine.
    I just found the geometry on my '32 L-5 was less ideal than all of the other guitars I'd tried it on.
    I never had any problems with it on my Eastman 805, '35 L-12 or '32 Deluxe, or for that matter on my Sel-mac, and although I only have it as a backup, it works fine on my 1939 L-5.

For the DPA system, I love the cello mount for a trapeze style tailpiece. That said, I ended up using the "sax" mount for the solid 1939 L-5 tailpiece. There's a lot less string length between the bridge and tailpiece since the tailpiece is so massive on the 1939.

As for compatibility, no dice. That said, you can clip the AT8418 to the cello mount if there's a not a great anchor point on your tailpiece.

User Info Menu

I have realized that the Unimount does not “grab” the strings behind the bridge of my Loar all that well. It will sort of move and the mount might end up rattling against the top. Found no reliable attachement on the trapeze. But I’ve found another trick.

I usually have a DeArmond on a Monkey on a stick on my Loar, and so I attach the clip of my AT microphone to the metal “tab” between the volume control and the “master clamp”.

If you don’t use a DeArmond, this advice is useless and will self-destruct in 3-2-1…

User Info Menu

This is the position that I use. For me It gives me the best results.Goose neck condenser for archtop-dsc_0018-b-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Thanks C5, you mentioned back somewhere that the clip on is sort of tenuous. Do you know if it can be adapted to the DPA cello mount?
    Woody Sound: what kind of guitar do you intend to use it on?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Woody Sound: what kind of guitar do you intend to use it on?
    Just don't laugh (because it's not a carved top). A Sadowsky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    This is the position that I use. For me It gives me the best results.Goose neck condenser for archtop-dsc_0018-b-jpg
    Thanks BB, that looks doable.

User Info Menu

That's the area that gives the best sound, and where I usually aim for.

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar

User Info Menu

don't underestimate my intelligence, i only laugh when it's funny ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    That's the area that gives the best sound, and where I usually aim for.
    same here ......

User Info Menu

So here's the situation. I work in a big band that does a huge variety of styles, anywhere from 40's dance things, to Basie things with 4-to-the-bar FG stuff, to some 70's things (TJ/ML etc) to some pretty wild modern compositions. The amplified guitar just does not have that "zing" of an acoustic archtop for the early stuff. Rather than switch guitars all night, I'd like to try the mic on the Sadowsky, and arrange a switching sytem so I can change back and forth for different tunes. I don't really know how the mic will sound on the Sadowsky, but I'm hoping ok. It should at least sound more appropriate for certain charts than the built-in mag pu. The Sadowsy has a pretty nice acoustic tone when played without an amp, just much, much *quieter* than a real acoustic archtop, so I'm hoping this will work.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-11-2018 at 02:39 PM.

User Info Menu

So here's the situation. I work in a big band that does a huge variety of styles, anywhere from 40's dance things, to Basie things with 4-to-the-bar FG stuff, to some 70's things (TJ/ML etc) to some pretty wild modern compositions. The amplified guitar just does not have that "zing" of an acoustic archtop for the early stuff. Rather than switch guitars all night, I'd like to try the mic on the Sadowsky, and arrange a switching sytem so I can change back and forth for different tunes. I don't really know how the mic will sound on the Sadowsky, but I'm hoping ok. It should at least sound more appropriate for certain charts than the built-in mag pu. The Sadowsy has a pretty nice acoustic tone when played without an amp, just much, much *quieter* than a real acoustic archtop, so I'm hoping this will work.
    First night, need to experiment more, but so far it seems to sound best here. Closer to the bridge is too brittle, closer to the f-hole too woofy. Maybe it has something to do with the lam top as opposed to a carved graduated top. But I am thrilled to finally get a real nice 4-to-the-bar rhythm tone out of the amp.

Goose neck condenser for archtop-mic-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Goose neck condenser for archtop-mic-jpg 

User Info Menu

I have revived this thread because I think that I have found a good alternative method for mounting the mike.

I have an old L7 and an AT pro 35. The problem is that these mikes were designed for horns and drums, not archtops. None of the obvious clip positions work well for me.

Here's what I tried yesterday:

Goose neck condenser for archtop-mvimg_20200224_133856-jpg

You'll notice that it is not clipped on; it is just held on by the strings and gravity, but does not budge while playing (you slide it toward the tailpiece until the strings hold it lightly in place). This is a picture I took before going to band practice, but when I hooked it up, I did not bother to wrap the wire around the strings.

I had some feedback issues at practice that I solved by sliding my handkerchief under the clip/gooseneck (perhaps better for the guitar top, too, although the amount of string pressure holding it in place is negligible). In the future I'll probably use a bit of felt instead of the handkerchief.

Since about half of the gooseneck is flush to the top of the guitar, there was no droop the entire night; in fact, I made it work sort of like a volume control by pushing or pulling the mike to or away from the guitar top.

User Info Menu

Oh what a nice thread!

90% of my gigs require me playing acoustic archtop.
    I also did a lot of research on Jonathans Swing-guitar blog, and can olny agree with anything he says on there.
    There's just one other (and really cheap) mic that I really want to recommend:
    the t.bone Ovid System CC 100

the t.bone Ovid System CC 100 – Musikhaus Thomann
    (Probably only an option within Europe, but damn good for 50€)

I've been using mine for the last 5 years, and I've never had any problem with it. To me it seems to be pretty close to the DPA, and that's also what many audio engineers have been telling me.
    I've also been asking almost every sound-guy I've been working with about their opinion on the sound, and all of them were really surprised of how much you get with that thing for only 50€

They also have a lot of clip Options available (including the Cello Mount)

I just really wanted to recommend this one, because you'll definetly be getting your moneys worth!

I also never had any Problems with Feedback, but I never have the guitar signal on my monitor anyway. Acoustic Volume usually is enough for me

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    I have revived this thread because I think that I have found a good alternative method for mounting the mike.

I have an old L7 and an AT pro 35. The problem is that these mikes were designed for horns and drums, not archtops. None of the obvious clip positions work well for me.

Here's what I tried yesterday:

Goose neck condenser for archtop-mvimg_20200224_133856-jpg

You'll notice that it is not clipped on; it is just held on by the strings and gravity, but does not budge while playing (you slide it toward the tailpiece until the strings hold it lightly in place). This is a picture I took before going to band practice, but when I hooked it up, I did not bother to wrap the wire around the strings.

I had some feedback issues at practice that I solved by sliding my handkerchief under the clip/gooseneck (perhaps better for the guitar top, too, although the amount of string pressure holding it in place is negligible). In the future I'll probably use a bit of felt instead of the handkerchief.

Since about half of the gooseneck is flush to the top of the guitar, there was no droop the entire night; in fact, I made it work sort of like a volume control by pushing or pulling the mike to or away from the guitar top.
    For the AT clip - you need a larger angle of the trapeze off the top - but that's one of the reasons I prefer the DPA, since it's not a "clip".

I would say you could probably add another 1/2" of height off the top and it might cut down on woofy-ness (i.e. proximity effect) which will cut some of the low frequencies that tend to feed back. Lastly, I really can't say enough that monitor positioning in relation to the mic (i.e. positioning the monitor so that the output is to reflecting back into the mic) is the most important thing to making this kind of thing work.

And Webby, I should totally check out that t.bone Ovid System. I'm playing in Amsterdam in May and I suppose I could have a friend order one for me.

User Info Menu

One thing to remember about the AT is that the adaptor has a switch on it that cuts the low end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    Oh what a nice thread!

90% of my gigs require me playing acoustic archtop.
    I also did a lot of research on Jonathans Swing-guitar blog, and can olny agree with anything he says on there.
    There's just one other (and really cheap) mic that I really want to recommend:
    the t.bone Ovid System CC 100

the t.bone Ovid System CC 100 – Musikhaus Thomann
    (Probably only an option within Europe, but damn good for 50€)

I've been using mine for the last 5 years, and I've never had any problem with it. To me it seems to be pretty close to the DPA, and that's also what many audio engineers have been telling me.
    I've also been asking almost every sound-guy I've been working with about their opinion on the sound, and all of them were really surprised of how much you get with that thing for only 50€

They also have a lot of clip Options available (including the Cello Mount)

I just really wanted to recommend this one, because you'll definetly be getting your moneys worth!

I also never had any Problems with Feedback, but I never have the guitar signal on my monitor anyway. Acoustic Volume usually is enough for me

Paul
    I viewed the link, and I do not understand that mic, what are the two devices in both end of the chord, and how to mount it? Could anyone please explain it?

User Info Menu

Here's real man's hardware for a real mic.

User Info Menu

Get a DPA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I viewed the link, and I do not understand that mic, what are the two devices in both end of the chord, and how to mount it? Could anyone please explain it?
    At the end of the cable is a miniature XLR plug which can be used with some wireless devices. But they deliver the mic with an adapter so a standard size XLR plug fits aswell.
    For mounting the mic you're supposed to get a mounting Clip. They offer several ones for different applications, and I think the original dpa clips fit aswell.
    I ordered mine with the guitar Clip, but that one doesn't really hold on an archtop, because the top isn't flat, so the Clip pushes itself outward.
    I play an eastman guitar with that wooden tailpiece and Most of the time i just wedge the gooseneck between the strings and the wooden tailpiece cover. That way it's not in the way, stays in Place, and I can point it directly to the sweet Spot as pointed out earlier in this thread.

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Get a DPA
    The pro-35 is $150 with gooseneck and power module; I think that a DPA would be triple that.

Figured out another way to mount it. The gooseneck has a couple of rubber pieces on it that have (hard to see) slits that allow you to attach the gooseneck to the the tailpiece:

Goose neck condenser for archtop-img_20200228_130128-jpg

User Info Menu

Does the clip on the end come off? If so, that would probably be better - less weight and possibility of scratching or vibrating against the guitar top. But if not, it should still be fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Does the clip on the end come off? If so, that would probably be better - less weight and possibility of scratching or vibrating against the guitar top. But if not, it should still be fine.
    Great thought; in fact, it does. There is a tiny philips screw holding it on, and you have to give it a bit of a tug after removing the screw, but here is what you end up with:

Goose neck condenser for archtop-temp-jpg

User Info Menu

Another thing to consider is something my friend, Vic Wong, has been making: a simple 3D printed clip that holds the actual microphone capsule from a AT831b without the gooseneck and mounts it to the strings between the bridge and tailpiece.

Project: Custom Audio Technica Microphone Mounts | Panique Jazz Project: Custom Audio Technica Microphone Mounts | Guitarist Vic Wong – Music and Projects

A bunch of my friends in the bay area (where Vic lives) have adopted this method with great effect. I've not tried it, and A/B'd the tonal results of placement, versus where I used to aim mine.... but it's cheap, easy, and a bunch of people I know and respect seem to think it sounds good, so there's that.

User Info Menu

I've been spending part of the Lockdown producing a record with my Band. It's not finished yet, but here's a small excerpt of me playing a Solo with my Cheap Thomann Ovid Lavalier Mic, that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Recording is straight into the interface without any effects or EQ. Pointed at the sweetspot near the bridge.

I'm pretty happy with this setup, especially in live situations!

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I'm pretty happy with this setup, especially in live situations!
    Sure sounds good - and you saved me from asking about this mic

Which mount do you use? I see on the Thomann site that the mic itself comes with a set of rubber grommits; would they allow a similar trick as in nopedal's post above? Or would the cello mount be a safer bet for a Loar archtop?