The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

So, I haven't been by Norm's Rare Guitars in years, and I saw on their website a couple L-5's that I wanted to check out. Well, when I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had recently bought somebody's entire collection in a transaction that was over $1.5 million. They'd already sold quite a few things... Loar-signed L-5's, and some D'Angelico's.

Well here's what I got play while I was there:
    '31 L-5
    '34-35 17" L-5
    '47 L-5
    '37 L-12
    '34 Epi De Luxe
    '37 or '38 Epi Deluxe
    '40's Stromberg Master 400
    '36 D'A Exel (or maybe Excel) 16"
    '42 D'A Excel
    '41 D'A New Yorker

They were really nice to me, and asked if would be willing to demo the guitars in a youtube clip. So, we shot a youtube clip of me playing the '34 L-5, and the three D'A's. It was pretty awesome. They have to edit it together, so who knows when it'll go up.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The really cool part was hearing all of these different sounds, unique to each model, and then to each example.
    The really hard part was not being able to figure out which one I actually liked best.
    I know which ones, cosmetically or ergonomically spoke to me, and the few whose sounds I didn't dig.
    But there was just so many with great sounds, and I couldn't easily pick a favorite. Damn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    So, I haven't been by Norm's Rare Guitars in years, and I saw on their website a couple L-5's that I wanted to check out. Well, when I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had recently bought somebody's entire collection in a transaction that was over $1.5 million. They'd already sold quite a few things... Loar-signed L-5's, and some D'Angelico's.

Well here's what I got play while I was there:
    '31 L-5
    '34-35 17" L-5
    '47 L-5
    '37 L-12
    '34 Epi De Luxe
    '37 or '38 Epi Deluxe
    '40's Stromberg Master 400
    '36 D'A Exel (or maybe Excel) 16"
    '42 D'A Excel
    '41 D'A New Yorker

They were really nice to me, and asked if would be willing to demo the guitars in a youtube clip. So, we shot a youtube clip of me playing the '34 L-5, and the three D'A's. It was pretty awesome. They have to edit it together, so who knows when it'll go up.
    Sounds like an hour in guitar heaven. Can't wait to hear the results when the video is posted.

User Info Menu

Gibson 1934 L-5 Special - Norman's Rare Guitars

Nice with Nick Lucas inlays. Price? If I have to ask I can't afford it...

User Info Menu

At some point they told me that was $30k. I don't know if that's a price for the seriously inclined, or one just scare off the riff raff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Sounds like an hour in guitar heaven. Can't wait to hear the results when the video is posted.

more like ArchtopHeaven, am I right guys?

...guys?

User Info Menu

Were there any you played which you'd want to trade for straight up? If so, which one and why?

User Info Menu

Since none of my stuff would get me any of the L-5's or D'A's, I'll assume you meant "hypothetically in some magical universe." In that case I'd probably trade my '35 L-12 for the '34-'35 Advanced L-5, or the 16" D'Angelico Excel. I really love the L-12, and I think mine's especially good, but the L-5 was very similar except for the added zing of the ebony fretboard and was just drop-dead gorgeous. Of course, the D'A was also profoundly good as well.

And of course, if we were talking straight trade, I might be silly to pass up the Stromberg Master 400 considering how rare they are. I might more easily find a great L-5 someday than another Master 400....

Still, I'm kinda jonesing for the L-5, but it would be an upgrade I'm not sure I could afford, plus I'd have to find a buyer for the L-12. I doubt it's worth enough to the store in trade since they have so many archtops right now, plus one of them is a '37 L-12 already.

User Info Menu

Wow, that would be a real honour, be sure to post the clips here if you can!

User Info Menu

That's a fair assessment.

Let's say for the sake of argument that in this magical universe, you couldn't profit from the straight up trade. The trade may benefit you sonically, aesthetically, or by any other measure you can think of except economically. These rules should help establish whether or not the additional expense of thousands of dollars would bring you a better playing experience.

My experience is that once you've reached a certain level with gear, the laws of diminishing returns really dominate.

User Info Menu

Never sell a guitar you "really love" that you think is "especially good."

The only way to upgrade in such situations is to add a more valuable guitar to the collection without giving up the current favorite. Note I said valuable, which is not the same as better. It might end up being better, at which point you can then decide to jettison the formerly loved/especially good guitar.

I realize this is a financial luxury that many cannot take advantage of. In that case, keep loving the one you're with.

Looking forward to seeing the video...

User Info Menu

That's an especially important point: don't get rid of anything you love. But, to be fair, I got the impression that the L-5 in question would cover basically the same territory, musically, just better (incrementally). The added zing of the ebony board on an very early "advanced" x-braced Gibson is literally the icing on the cake.

Sadly, though, I really only have room in my "collection" for a limited number of pieces - correlated to utility. I've been super excited about really observing and understanding the difference between X-braced and Parallel-braced guitars, but I find that along with an ES-150CC, a Selmer-style, and a nice Tricone, I'm literally covered for all my actual playing situations.

I use the parallel-braced guitar in a band with bass and drums. I use the X-braced for solo, duo and trio work. I use the electric for electric. Selmer in the Django band. Resonator when in my 20's-30's orchestra, or when I have to play outdoors without sound reinforcement. My poor Eastman hasn't really gotten played since I started with the vintage stuff. (I ended up lending it to a friend because I couldn't bring myself to sell a guitar that was literally handpicked for me at the factory and has my name on the inside paper label.)

So given all of that, it would be hard for me to keep the L-12 if the L-5 does the same job, but slightly better. The fun thing is that I've compared the L-12 (and the De Luxe for that matter) to a number of L-5's and other guitars, realistically they're better than most, and anything better is only marginally. That's a good place to be at.

User Info Menu

Which one of your vintage guitars gets the most use?

User Info Menu

Too bad they never update their page... None of those guitars is listed

User Info Menu

Yeah... so I went back a couple times after this, and went through some of the stuff that was sitting in cases, not out on the floor and I had the ability to play through 5 different 16" pre-advanced L-5's, one dot necked, three block inlayed, and the one with the banjo inlays. Plus, I went back to the 1934 17" L-5 and A/B'd it with the small body ones - the small bodied ones definitely won.

I hemmed and hawed, and came in a couple more times, and eventually they made me a decent deal on one, and so that how's I find myself with a 1932 L-5. They had it marked as a 1929, but the serial is too high for that. Given the feature set, it could have been started earlier and finished later. Headstock says "The Gibson" and the lack of kerfed braces all read earlier. I'll put up a proper NGD post soon. Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images Norm's Rare Guitars-1932-gibson-l-5-99784-jpg 

User Info Menu

Congrats, Jonathan! Yours probably has the short guard too, is it correct? I look forward to see the pics AND another one of your always enjoyable videos.

User Info Menu

Oh boy you re on a roll

you deserve those guitars - and those guitars deserve a player like you

User Info Menu

Dude, you're DONE. There is nothing better - only different. And I agree that the 16" L-5 beats the 17" in almost every way as an acoustic guitar. I own and love both, so I'm not biased. You got to try five of them, eh? Wow.

Register your axe with the Prewar L-5 site when you have a chance. I'm always interested to know serial and FON data on these, because each example helps us understand the feature evolution, such as when those braces started getting kerfed.

Here is my '28 (shipped in '31 according to the Spann research).
    Last edited by rpguitar; 08-27-2015 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

WOW! You DUN gud, bruh.

Play her in good health! Let's see a few more photos. And a Youtube dem, if you please.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-28-2015 at 01:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah do a youtube between this and the Deluxe !

User Info Menu

Congratulations Jonathan,

That's a real looker! Enjoy. Here's another vote for the video demo/comparison.

Cheers, Chris

User Info Menu

campusfive, how do they compare to the two pre-war L-10s you played at TR Crandall's, in your estimation, given the different environment and mood, and as well as your memory serves?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, please.

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar and beautiful playing. In this case I'm referring to your video playing your '32 Epiphone Deluxe. Great playing! I especially enjoyed It's Only A Paper Moon. I could only watch a segment tonight, but I will revisit that video. Congratulations on your newest acquisition.

User Info Menu

Jab, I believe that they have three pre-war 16” black L-10, and they've been there for quite a while, with a huge difference of price between them.

I'd be courious to hear what Jonathan has to say about these too. I've always had a "thing" for these.

The three are priced much higher than others I've seen at Bernunzio, Gryphon, Archtop.com and a couple other places.

User Info Menu

Richard, campusfive said he played two of the three. The 1934 L10 ($3995) was not one of them that he played so I thought I would skip that one.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-28-2015 at 06:30 AM.