The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 266211
    I am looking for a used Seventy Seven Hawk if anybody has one?
    Are they out long enough to have a used market?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Yeh me too, I'm just waiting for the second hand prices to start making sense. Seems to me dealers are charging nearly new prices at the moment, thats why they sit around on ebay for years not selling.
    one of the things that hurt seventy seven IMO is that they started making a duplicate line in china or south korea with the same body shapes but slightly different model numbers. IMO this is a stupid marketing decision as it confuses the market and waters down the perceived value of the japanese models. So for example, if you go on ebay and search seventy seven guitars you will see what looks like the same instruments but some are new going for $450 and others are used (japanese) going for $850 or more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    one of the things that hurt seventy seven IMO is that they started making a duplicate line in china or south korea with the same body shapes but slightly different model numbers. IMO this is a stupid marketing decision as it confuses the market and waters down the perceived value of the japanese models. So for example, if you go on ebay and search seventy seven guitars you will see what looks like the same instruments but some are new going for $450 and others are used (japanese) going for $850 or more.
    Yeh I agree. My friend bought a stork for £400 and its phenomenally good. The only issue is, we cant work out if its a Japanese one or Indonesian? I think thats where they headed too along with sadowski?

I have also found some dealers or importers to be trying to pass off the non Japanese ones as Japanese by saying "Seventy Seven Japanese company" but then they wont say where it is made.

Its making the whole thing sketchy!

@Travisty Yes they have been around long enough. About a year or two ago, they were coming up on ebay second hand for under $1000. Now they seem to sit at about $1800 without takers

User Info Menu

I am looking for a used Seventy Seven Hawk if anybody has one?
    Im a Seventy Seven Dealer and have a Hawk Koa Custom on sale at the moment. PM me if you like. Bob

User Info Menu

Yeh I agree. My friend bought a stork for £400 and its phenomenally good. The only issue is, we cant work out if its a Japanese one or Indonesian? I think thats where they headed too along with sadowski?

I have also found some dealers or importers to be trying to pass off the non Japanese ones as Japanese by saying "Seventy Seven Japanese company" but then they wont say where it is made.

@Travisty Yes they have been around long enough. About a year or two ago, they were coming up on ebay second hand for under $1000. Now they seem to sit at about $1800 without takers
    The models you guys are talking about are the "JE" Japanese Engineered models and are made in the Philippines. The rest of the Seventy Seven models are made in Japan. Bob

User Info Menu

are you saying sadowsky is manufacturing instruments in indonesia now?

User Info Menu

At "£400", it is not made in Japan. I would note that for Japanese designers/manufacturers, having their lower-end guitars made in Indonesia is not significantly different than an American observing that some lower-end Fenders are made in Mexico (MIM) and are almost as good.

100-odd years ago, the best thing you could say about a watch was that it was made in America. The worst thing you could say was that it was made in Switzerland. 30-40yrs ago it was Japanese cars vs American. For most of the last 10yrs the quality balance has been shifted. In Japan, 'cheap' versions of expensive Japanese cars are made in the USA and 'reverse-imported' into Japan. That will end soon enough as the exchange rate has gone back to its 20yr average.

I had not heard of either Sadowsky making guitars in Indonesia or Seventy-Seven making guitars in the Phils, but it does not surprise me. I am not sure why we should expect a $400 semi-acoustic to be made in a country with high wages (like Japan).

Dealers passing one thing off as another are as old as time. It says much more about the dealer than it does about the distributor or manufacturer.
    Last edited by travisty; 08-12-2015 at 11:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I agree with about everything being said. I have a Hawk Standard and would like another from $1000-$1700. I want to put a set of HD Z90's I have had setting around in a Hawk. I like the original Hawk PU's so much I want to compare each side by side. Sounds outlandish but I like the model so much it seems like an okay plan to me. I would have a backup hawk at the worst.

User Info Menu

I agree with about everything being said. I have a Hawk Standard and would like another from $1000-$1700. I want to put a set of HD Z90's I have had setting around in a Hawk. I like the original Hawk PU's so much I want to compare each side by side. Sounds outlandish but I like the model so much it seems like an okay plan to me. I would have a backup hawk at the worst.
    Three cheers.
    I lust after a Koa Hawk. Would love a hollow body Fat Hawk. And think the world of them for trying to improve on an already great hand-made guitar.

User Info Menu

Holy smoke! The AT350 looks great. Who hasn't lusted for a single-pickup late-40s 350, right? That's THE jazz box.

User Info Menu

Sorry Bob been waiting a while for you to respond to my Pm but I gotta go.

I wanted us to remove the posts and go back to scratch.

I clearly stated in my post that if that was not you, then please accept my humble apologies. I had always though that the ebay account I linked was yours as there aren't many 77 importers in the US and your photos sometimes look very similar. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thought you were the same person.

The link I posted was for a used 77 @ $1800 hence my comment, so yes there are models being sold second hand at that price, hence the whole post in the first place.

Anyway, please accept my humble apology, I think you have taken this a little too much to heart but that would still be my mistake, so again apologies.

All you needed to do was say "oh thats not me". Again apologies, I was clumsy and fully accept that. I have no right to tell you how you should of reacted but in my misguided thoughts, I figured if it wasn't you, thats what you would have said.

So to clarify to anyone reading. I falsely potentially linked Bob to an ebay account that wasn't his. It is not his account and as far as i know, Bob is a stand up guy and if i needed a 77 I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from him :-)
    Last edited by Archie; 08-12-2015 at 02:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Sorry Bob been waiting a while for you to respond to my Pm but I gotta go.

I wanted us to remove the posts and go back to scratch.

I clearly stated in my post that if that was not you, then please accept my humble apologies. I had always though that the ebay account I linked was yours as there aren't many 77 importers in the US and your photos sometimes look very similar. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thought you were the same person.

The link I posted was for a used 77 @ $1800 hence my comment, so yes there are models being sold second hand at that price, hence the whole post in the first place.

Anyway, please accept my humble apology, I think you have taken this a little too much to heart but that would still be my mistake, so again apologies.

All you needed to do was say "oh thats not me". Again apologies, I was clumsy and fully accept that. I have no right to tell you how you should of reacted but in my misguided thoughts, I figured if it wasn't you, thats what you would have said.

So to clarify to anyone reading. I falsely potentially linked Bob to an ebay account that wasn't his. It is not his account and as far as i know, Bob is a stand up guy and if i needed a 77 I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from him :-)
    So I got a chance to read your Pm. Im good with removing the posts. The link was to a new Seventy Seven guitar not a used one, so I had no idea what you were referring to as far as ME selling used at new prices. Personally I would have made sure whos auction it was before assuming it was someone else to avoid any issues. Bob

User Info Menu

$900-$1700 was what I said.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    So I got a chance to read your Pm. Im good with removing the posts. The link was to a new Seventy Seven guitar not a used one, so I had no idea what you were referring to as far as ME selling used at new prices. Personally I would have made sure whos auction it was before assuming it was someone else to avoid any issues. Bob

It was stated as 'used' in the Ebay description.

In the end Bob, I was clumsy but don't make a big deal out of it. If you hadn't of posted your last post, this wouldn't still be going. I did also caveat in my clumsy post that "If this isn't you then I sincerely apologise" kinda surprised you've got this upset. Kinda surprised you didn't say "Oh thats not me" but again I cant do anything other than apologise as I didn't really want to offend you in the first place. Obviously I did so again I can only apologise.

:-)

User Info Menu

(from Japan)

I tried a lot of guitar, but now I'm using the old Greco arch top. (BR-110 and L-100)

These guitars sounds great, but 17-inch body is to big for me.

At the same time, I have old GB-10. But, It doesn't fit for me.

So,I started to find a new guitar...

After all, HAWK JAZZ of 77 was was the best.

Now, I am planning to allow for optimum specification (including metal allergy) for me.

When completed, it could be the best guitar for me.

User Info Menu

Hi Tak, Those are great guitars. L-100とBR-110がなかなかいいギターですね。

金属のアレルギですか?付ける金物の種類をカスタムにするのですか?

User Info Menu

Travisty-san

ありがとうございます。
    That's right.
    Of course, I am also planning for other specifications.

User Info Menu

Good luck Tak. Please post pics of your guitar when you get it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tak
    (from Japan)

I tried a lot of guitar, but now I'm using the old Greco arch top. (BR-110 and L-100)

These guitars sounds great, but 17-inch body is to big for me.

At the same time, I have old GB-10. But, It doesn't fit for me.

So,I started to find a new guitar...

After all, HAWK JAZZ of 77 was was the best.

Now, I am planning to allow for optimum specification (including metal allergy) for me.

When completed, it could be the best guitar for me.
    I also would like to see your guitar when its finished. Bob

User Info Menu

I believe the sale of my guitar that i have in order to buy a new one .
    It is L-100 of Greco.
    Only the name has changed , I think it 's the same guitar as 2460 of Ibanez.
    The guitar is 1976 made . (from the serial number .)
    So, if you know, will you tell me that how much the price range is this type of guitar traded in us or other country?
    Perhaps I would be to sell the guitar in Japan , but may not do and too much if price is the difference , need to find another way.
    Last edited by Tak; 08-18-2015 at 02:03 AM.

User Info Menu

An Ibanez 2460 in good condition with intact binding should bring around $2300 , add a few hundred if in EX. condition and subtract a few for repairs , and changed parts etc. Usually Grecos go for less than Ibanez guitars do so keep that in mind. Hope this helps. Bob

User Info Menu

Thank you,bob.
    Your comment is what i wanted.
    I will try to sell that in good price,and will get nice 77.

User Info Menu

The Seventy Seven is the best guitar being made at the moment for the money. Of course thats just my opinion! Bob

User Info Menu

I asked the production of archtop guitar to 77guitars (Deviser).
    Based on the Fat Hawk, I did a specification change.
    Up to that guitar comes, it is expected to take more than five months.
    It's so long time... but I have to wait...

Before the guitar comes, I have to find extra storage... where is that?
    So, because there is no extra storage, I asked guitar shop to sale of two guitars that I don't use.
    Please look at the following URL, If you are interested in old Japan made archtop guitar.

Greco L-100 (It's almost the same as Ibanez 2460.)
    Guitar Planet | Rakuten Global Market: Greco L-100 Sunburst 1976 year party [Theatre], [home] [Sunburst, Sunburst] [flak] [Electric Guitar, an electric guitar] [L100] and the [05P05Sep15]

Ibanez GB-10
    Guitar Planet | Rakuten Global Market: Made in 1981 Ibanez GB10 NT (Natural) [Ibanez] [George Benson, natural, wood [flak] Electric Guitar, an electric guitar [GB-10]

Thanks.
    Tak

User Info Menu

Did you know that Bob has a used Fat Hawk on his website? Maybe it's still for sale.