The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 89 of 89

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread.
    Does anyone have a good resource to point me towards for how to stack the many different Ibanez models against eachother? Looking at Sweetwater etc only shows me new ones and used prices are all over the map. I was leaning towards an LGB30 but this thread brought up a couple models I didn't know about (that are maybe cheaper but still awesome).
    Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had my AFJ95 for two years now and I never regretted buying it. I don't have enough experience to compare it to higher end archtops but regarding workmanship, fit and finish and playability it leaves nothing to be desired.

User Info Menu

Hi JMOTO
    New to this thread. I just recently made a purchase of a sweet D'Angelico DC DEluxe from Reverb.com. If you are searching for stuff they are pretty good. I also own an Ibanez AFJ95VSB. Bought it in a pawn shop, a few years ago with a Gibson LP. Studio. They are all beautiful. Ibanez is great when it's acoustic, which is how I play it most of the time at home. when plugged in it has a full bodied sound, and it feels great.
    I work with a big band from time to time, playing Freddie Green style technique, and the AFJ is perfect for the job.

User Info Menu

I had an Ag95 and AFM95. Both were very well made, comfortable and had excellent necks. Loved my AG with the modern Super58 customs. The AFM shared the same pickups but didn’t sound quite as warm. Bubinga vs Maple, I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez AFJ95 - Opinions?-962adbc2-8e31-4783-907f-a71de4340e51-jpg 

User Info Menu

Reviving this thread to ask for a little advice,
    For my first archtop guitar, I have the opportunity to get either an AKJ95 or an AF95, both second hand. The AKJ95 costs 100 Euros more.
    The main differences between these two are the Super-58s vs ACH pickups and graphite bridge on the AKJ95, if I am correct?
    Would I be missing much if I went with the cheaper option, considering that I am on a very tight budget?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

I own a Ibanez ak95. I always wonder how much difference there is between all these single cut hollow bodies by Ibanez . Aren’t they pretty much the same?

User Info Menu

They're beautiful and they make me drool but I'm just too scared of being bitten by buyer's remorse.
    The pickups on the AKJ are superior (apparently not the real Super-58s, but Super-58 customs).

Here's an article in german with sound clips comparing the two
    (hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting that link)
    Ibanez AF75 & AFJ95 Test :: Bonedo

Most importantly, are you happy with the way yours sound and feels?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoris
    Reviving this thread to ask for a little advice,
    For my first archtop guitar, I have the opportunity to get either an AKJ95 or an AF95, both second hand. The AKJ95 costs 100 Euros more.
    The main differences between these two are the Super-58s vs ACH pickups and graphite bridge on the AKJ95, if I am correct?
    Would I be missing much if I went with the cheaper option, considering that I am on a very tight budget?
    Thanks
    To me the differences also include AKJ95 having maple top and Florentine cutaway versus spruce and Venetian cutaway. I don't think one is inherently better, just if you have a preference.

User Info Menu

i’ve got a similar AF81 single pu venetian
    cutaway
    its good but I did upgrade the ACH ceramic pu to an Alnico 3
    a lot of people put better pickups instead
    of the ceramic ibanez ones

I believe the S58 customs are alnico
    and are fine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoris
    They're beautiful and they make me drool but I'm just too scared of being bitten by buyer's remorse.
    The pickups on the AKJ are superior (apparently not the real Super-58s, but Super-58 customs).

Here's an article in german with sound clips comparing the two
    (hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting that link)
    Ibanez AF75 & AFJ95 Test :: Bonedo

Most importantly, are you happy with the way yours sound and feels?

User Info Menu

thanks to lurking here and helping me decide.

but then i listened to this, and had to sign in so i could say bravo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by effigy
    thanks to lurking here and helping me decide.

but then i listened to this, and had to sign in so i could say bravo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emirdbass
    Hi JMOTO
    New to this thread. I just recently made a purchase of a sweet D'Angelico DC DEluxe from Reverb.com. If you are searching for stuff they are pretty good. I also own an Ibanez AFJ95VSB. Bought it in a pawn shop, a few years ago with a Gibson LP. Studio. They are all beautiful. Ibanez is great when it's acoustic, which is how I play it most of the time at home. when plugged in it has a full bodied sound, and it feels great.
    I work with a big band from time to time, playing Freddie Green style technique, and the AFJ is perfect for the job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregEL
    I have that same exact guitar, got it about a month ago. LOVE it! Right out of the box the setup was perfect. Intonation and string height are spot on. Full hollow body, .11 flat wounds, what's not to like? Sounds every bit as good af way more expensive arch tops I've had in the past.

Am real pleased with this acquisition.