The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 89

User Info Menu

To be honest, I can't really compare it with many other guitars because in that case I would have to bring them all home in a quiet room. It does not sound remotly as "full" as when plugged in. The acoustic sound does not turn me off in a musical way. I can still practise unplugged if I have to but yes, having the tiny Vox Pathfinder on just a little make a big difference.

I dont know if I can answer your question more than this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It has a very "mahogany" sound compared to my ES175, if that makes any sense.

Tight, resonant. Very nice acoustically.

Makes me think of Tal Farlow's tone.

User Info Menu

Well I went and bought a hollow body jazz box today. I have only been taking guitar lessons since October of last year but am serious about jazz, at least as serious as I can be at my age (63); I don't ever expect to be all that good but I am only competing against myself. I had bought a Fender Deluxe Reverb a while back and got an eCertificate from GC for $210 and went shopping today. I had previously compared the Ibanez AF75, Epiphone Joe Pass, Epiphone Swingster, and a few others; the Joe Pass was my favorite of the bunch. Today I went back and added the AFJ95 to my list. Although I was prepared not to like it as much as the Joe Pass, something about it just spoke to me. It may have been largely due to the flat wound strings which it had and that I had never tried before, but it just felt better to me, and more solidly built. GC was having another one of their $10 eCertificate for every $50 spent so I got the AFJ95 and a case to protect it. The extra size is going to take some getting used to (I am used to an Epiphone ES 339 and a Strat) but I am sure it will get comfortable with time. It has a beautiful rich tone, much more acoustic sounding than the 339. I doubt that I will ever use the bridge pickup but they didn't have an AFJ91, and it may come in handy someday anyway.

EDIT: Sorry the pictures are sideways, I didn't know how to rotate them.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez AFJ95 - Opinions?-20160615_211920-jpg Ibanez AFJ95 - Opinions?-20160615_211931-jpg 
    Last edited by rdwhitti; 06-15-2016 at 10:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Great choice. I have two Ibanezes: both are semi-hollow. One is an Artcore, the other an Artstar. Love them! I have had and currently have many guitars costing much, much more and the Ibanezes hold their own. Enjoy your new hollow-body!
    Last edited by jbucklin; 06-16-2016 at 08:12 AM.

User Info Menu

You have a well-crafted, solidly built guitar that looks good, feels good, and sounds good, that will give you many years of reliable performance. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

You must have bought that DR 6 weeks ago when they had the 20% rebate in Guitar Center Bucks.

You picked a great time to buy -- you combined the 20% rebate in Guitar Center Bucks with the eGift cards that get you an extra 16% off. I'm doing the same thing this week, so it will be NGD + NAD for me in the near future.

User Info Menu

Congrats!

As other members have observed, the Ibanez Artcore/Artstar series are very nice and cost effective instruments. They perform at a level that competes admirably with more expensive instruments.

I own an AF125 Custom and it's a great guitar.

User Info Menu

Yes I am quite pleased with this buy. I was surprised that I liked it better than the Joe Pass which just had a cheap feeling about it, although I can't pinpoint why it seemed so. And to top it all off I found out after I got home that it was supposed to be on sale, so I need to see about getting a refund for the difference.

It is much bigger than I am used to but also lighter. It just seems to play so effortlessly. I'm sure I will be enjoying this for many years.

User Info Menu

Danny, great guitar, congrats. As to having a bridge pickup instead of just a neck pickup...I use the middle position a lot, but use the bridge pickup just to add a little "color" to the neck. Play around with the knobs and you will find a "voice" that you will like as an option to just the neck pickup. Again, congrats.

User Info Menu

Hi, Guys. I need some advice before buying an Ibanez AFJ95 sold at Thomann.de. I don't know if it has a serial number on its headstock or not.So, what is the difference between a guitar that have a serial number and one that doesn't have it? Does it matter to have a guitar that have a serial number on its headstock? Thanks in advance fo your help. Sorry for my bad english

User Info Menu

I believe the serial is on the sticker inside the body that's visible through the f-hole but I'm not an Ibanez owner.

User Info Menu

The newer Ibanez guitars usually have the serial number on a label inside the body, not on the headstock. R

User Info Menu

Hello liehax and welcome - you are possibly our only member in Madagascar !!

I believe that buying an Ibanez guitar from Thomann is a very safe way to buy a guitar over the internet. Both companies are highly reputable. European sourced Ibanez guitars are, in my experience, very well set up and will play well out of the box. Thomann also has a 30 day return policy - so if you are not happy, they will take it back.

I must say, if I were in the market for a jazz guitar in the same price range, the AFJ95 is probably the guitar I would buy. I have had 3 Ibanez in the past and was always highly satisfied. I have bought lots of gear from Thomann, most of it I have kept - but I did return a couple of amps without any problem.

As the other responders have said, the lack of a stamped serial number is not an issue - if you are concerned about reselling at a later date, just keep the delivery note from Thomann as evidence of provenance.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for your replies. This is the first time of my life I join a forum. Imagine my joy reading your responses . So cooool. It took me so many years to economize (6 exactly). Now I know it will be a well spent money

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Hello liehax and welcome - you are possibly our only member in Madagascar !!

I believe that buying an Ibanez guitar from Thomann is a very safe way to buy a guitar over the internet. Both companies are highly reputable. European sourced Ibanez guitars are, in my experience, very well set up and will play well out of the box. Thomann also has a 30 day return policy - so if you are not happy, they will take it back.

I must say, if I were in the market for a jazz guitar in the same price range, the AFJ95 is probably the guitar I would buy. I have had 3 Ibanez in the past and was always highly satisfied. I have bought lots of gear from Thomann, most of it I have kept - but I did return a couple of amps without any problem.

As the other responders have said, the lack of a stamped serial number is not an issue - if you are concerned about reselling at a later date, just keep the delivery note from Thomann as evidence of provenance.

Thanks a lot for these details, newsense. I have one more question, what does the "B-stock" term mean? I've seen ibanez AFJ95 B-stosk on the website, and it costs less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by liehax
    Thanks a lot for these details, newsense. I have one more question, what does the "B-stock" term mean? I've seen ibanez AFJ95 B-stosk on the website, and it costs less.
    Hi there LH.

B-stock means that there is either a paint defect or it is a customer return and therefore used.

This does not mean it is bad or broken.

It's like when you go into a music shop and play a guitar and it gets a knock or scratch, it means that it is no longer shiny and new.

It is funny that you can buy a B-stock guitar with a slight scratch for less money but spend more on a custom finished distressed guitar of the same shape!

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

User Info Menu

Jazzbow has given a good definition of B-stock. The problem is that Thomann are unlikely to tell you why a particular instrument is B-stock - they usually just say " may have slight traces of use". So it can be a small gamble, but perhaps one worth taking, because most likely it will be OK and indistinguishable from a completely new guitar. If the small chance of it being bad happens - you can always return it.

I just looked on the Thomann web-site and from the UK I cannot see a B-stock AFJ95 - perhaps you have already ordered it !

User Info Menu

I have ordered other gear of the B-stock type from Thomann and been very happy with the results and of course the better price. That said I have not ordered guitars but have no doubt that I would be just as happy with them. What is the postage to Madagascar?

User Info Menu

I have one of these guitars and I like it a lot. It is designed for amplified performance. It has a great neck, excellent intonation, and a comfortable feel, as well as great looks. The volume and tone controls are smooth and even. The pickups have depth and clarity. Some people like to replace them with their favorite aftermarket brands; I have never found it necessary, but it remains an option. The AFJ-95 is pleases the hand, the ear, the eye, and the bank account. I think you will enjoy it. Welcome to the forum, and play your guitar in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Jazzbow has given a good definition of B-stock. The problem is that Thomann are unlikely to tell you why a particular instrument is B-stock - they usually just say " may have slight traces of use". So it can be a small gamble, but perhaps one worth taking, because most likely it will be OK and indistinguishable from a completely new guitar. If the small chance of it being bad happens - you can always return it.

I just looked on the Thomann web-site and from the UK I cannot see a B-stock AFJ95 - perhaps you have already ordered it !
    You're right newsense, I mixed things up.It was a B-STOCK AF95RW-NT and not AFJ95 . As I replied to jazzbow, the "may have slight traces of use" causes me to hesitate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I have one of these guitars and I like it a lot. It is designed for amplified performance. It has a great neck, excellent intonation, and a comfortable feel, as well as great looks. The volume and tone controls are smooth and even. The pickups have depth and clarity. Some people like to replace them with their favorite aftermarket brands; I have never found it necessary, but it remains an option. The AFJ-95 is pleases the hand, the ear, the eye, and the bank account. I think you will enjoy it. Welcome to the forum, and play your guitar in good health!
    Thanks citizenk74. I replaced nothing on my old Caraya, so I'll replace nothing on an AFJ95 for sure

User Info Menu

Thanks citizenk74. I replaced nothing on my old Caraya, so I'll replace nothing on an AFJ95 for sure
    Fair enough, but do be aware that the excessively heavily styled pickguard has only a paper thin finish to it and can wear through if the guitar experiences much in the way of rythym playing / comping. As a finger rest no problem. Other than that I changed the nut to bone. Great value.

Excellent review here: http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-e...onist-guitars/

AFJ95 at 10:18secs.

Bonne chance!

David

User Info Menu

I bought an af 95 recently and was really impressed, if you get without case the gator for 12 string is a really good match for a reasonable price.

User Info Menu

I bought my AFJ 95 from thomann a year and a half ago - my first archtop ever. It is exceptionally well made - not only considering the price point but well made period. Setup and intonation out of the box were and are perfect.

I first had ordered a B-stock which was like brand new - no scratches, no nothing. After a week or so I discovered (there was a slight buzz in some spots on the fretboard that I couldn't get rid of) that two frets were a bit low below the d and g strings. So I returned it with no problem at all, got my money back and ordered the one that I have now and that I have been playing pretty much every day since I got it (with quite "a few" others sitting idle and waiting to be played...)

edit: forgot to mention that the SN is on a sticker inside the body which is quite usual for a hollow body guitar.
    Last edited by TOMMO; 08-02-2016 at 04:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Tommo, now I know why registering to a forum is very important before buing anything
    Here is the guitar with my 'improved' ( more contemporary perhaps ) pickguard/finger rest: Ibanez AFJ95 - Opinions?-dsc_3157-jpgIbanez AFJ95 - Opinions?-dsc_3158-jpg and the rear view. Perhaps the best value guitar in my collection ranging from Peerless Cremona to Classic Vibe 50s Tele.

Good choice.