User Info Menu

New Roland JC amp, 40 Watts in 2x10 speakers:

Roland - JC-40 | Jazz Chorus Guitar Amplifier

Could be a fine jazz amp...

Roland Jazz Chorus 40 Amp-roland-jc-40-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah !
    And the weight of 15.8 g ! Amazingly light ! I'll take two of them to run in stereo² !

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Yeah !
    And the weight of 15.8 g ! Amazingly light ! I'll take two of them to run in stereo² !
    you only need one amp, because it is stereo:

"Now, there’s also a true stereo input for enhanced performance with stereo effects pedals, guitar synths, amp modeling gear, and multi-effects"

User Info Menu

If they've fixed the hum that plagues so many of the 120s I'm sold. I only ever use the JC setting on my cube and would love to have an amp without all the FX and crap on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    If they've fixed the hum that plagues so many of the 120s I'm sold. I only ever use the JC setting on my cube and would love to have an amp without all the FX and crap on it.
    That was my exact response. And it wasn't just the 120's. I had the same hiss from about five different version of the JC's. I really like what this one offers though.

A friend has the Roland JC-55. I always liked this small, powerful and very good sounding amp. Once I A/B my Cube 80XL and the JC-55 and have to say I could dial in pretty much the same tone on my Cube. Difference is the JC is open back the Cube closed back. So I stopped my search for a JC-55. Anyway, I'll check the JC-40 when it is available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Two5one
    you only need one amp, because it is stereo:

Stereo²
    or
    Square stereo

That was a joke. Sorry. Because of the 15.8 g weight, I can have 1000 for the actual weight of 1

OK, that's not funny, forget it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Stereo²
    or
    Square stereo

That was a joke. Sorry. Because of the 15.8 g weight, I can have 1000 for the actual weight of 1

OK, that's not funny, forget it
    In all seriousness, what would be cool is if there was an extension speaker out, and THAT was in stereo with the built in speakers.

User Info Menu

Seemingly not far from the JC-77 model.

User Info Menu

Also wondering about how loud it is, especially the clean headroom.

User Info Menu

funny thing is I have a 90s or late 80s JC55 (two 8in speakers). Great amp.. but I cant get great jazz sounds out of it (but then again I cant get a good sound out of an AC30 either)

Also as mentioned in other threads.. noisy chorus.. sounds great but noisy. A few people have mentioned that this is an amp that is very accurately modeled by a few other manufacturers

User Info Menu

Wow. I'm really excited about this upon learning about the stereo bit!

Music Radar reckons £575. $500-600 street in the US? Andertons has it for £519 (w/ VAT).
    SUMMER NAMM 2015: Roland announces JC-40 Jazz Chorus guitar amp | Roland JC-40 Jazz Chorus | Guitar News | MusicRadar

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Yet, six pictures of the front panel, ZERO pictures of the back panel. Makes you wonder who the hell is in charge of their web pages.
    There's a little photo gallery in the "features" section of the page. Click the arrows to look through them or click the images to embiggen.

Last edited by spiral; 07-08-2015 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks like it will be $600 MSRP, which is half the cost of a new JC-120. Does anyone else think that new JC-120s are overpriced? Yeah, you can always find a used one...

Hmmm... I think my daughter needs some JC cleans...

User Info Menu

I've never met anyone who bought a JC-120 new.

2x20 watts then? Probably useless for stage...not sure i get this one..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

There are always leftover Roland GA-112 and 212s around. You can get either for less than the JC-40 and it is 200W for the 212. The bad news is that both are heavy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Yeah it's a shame they didn't keep the same form factor but bump the wattage to 80 or 100 watts. My Cube 80gx is plenty loud for most gigs and has a line out. Seems more versatile than 40 watts. But comparing watts is never apples to apples. I'll have to try one of these out in store.

User Info Menu

Looks like there's just one channel so it's probably 40 watts, also it says that the distortion is updated. Probably digital effects in this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70
    Looks like there's just one channel so it's probably 40 watts, also it says that the distortion is updated. Probably digital effects in this one.
    Whenever I noodle with a JC in a music store, the first thing I do is make sure the distortion knob is turned all the way down.

User Info Menu

Hummm? It was the Hissss that bothered me most coming from my JC-120. A 40 watt SS would be pretty much a practice room amp, wouldn't it. Would be interesting to hear the latest iteration though.

User Info Menu

I had a JC-120, a new one- I had issues with headroom with that amp. It was loud, but the louder the amp was turned up the worse it sounded. It was as if it desperately needed a limiter to keep the peaks from clipping. The tone of the amp at low volumes was gorgeous though, and the chorus was incredible. I sold it because my mid 1980's Peavey Bandit 65 sounded far better at high volumes and was much smaller. I couldn't justify such a large amp that only sounded good at low/medium volumes. I do miss the amp though, it had a unique sound.

I'm not sure with this JC-40 how 2x20w would hold up considering I had issues with the headroom of the JC-120. Occasionally I see a JC-160 pop up for sale. I would love to try one of those!

User Info Menu

I'd honestly like to try this. I liked the JC120 but the hiss was definitely there. Not as bad as some JC120's I've played on.

If the hiss had been addressed.... At 35 lbs I'd give it a consideration.

I actually used the distortion. I cracked it barely open to give it a gritty lo-fi sound but otherwise clean.

User Info Menu

I love the JC sound. Preferably I'd have a preamp/Head that I run through my tube poweramp head & cab. Have toyed with the idea of buying a used cube and remove the preamp section. Anyone done that?

The small JC40 looks nice too. I am definitely interested.

User Info Menu

*Thump! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....*

Any JC owner knows that sounds.

As mentioned, I am interested in hearing this but there is a reason (several) that I gave up the JC120 in favor of the Cube.

The Cube is quieter, lighter and has a slight roundness to its sound as opposed to the slightly stiffer sound of the JC120. The turn off for this 40w is it likely still has the hiss. The dual speakers probably put it in the loudness territory of my Cube 80x though.

I do like that the one channel is the one I used and it is about the same weight as my Cube.

My old JC setting:

Channel 2
    Distortion slightly cracked open to add a slight lo-fi grit.
    Effects circuit engaged but set to absolute minimum so you couldn't really heart am effect but seemed to warm the tone a bit.

User Info Menu

Here it is.

User Info Menu

Certainly JC-ish. Like any amp... people are always out to get 'their sound' out of it regardless of what others may say the amp was meant to do. I'd need a demo taken in a much quieter environment than NAMM (understandably noisy) and am certainly waiting to read a review that addresses whether or not the hiss is still there.