The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

Could you help add to this list? Looking for who currently makes 16", parallel braced, acoustic L5's. Cosmetic differences don't matter. Also if you know of makers that have made them, but maybe aren't known for it, please include it.

The Loar - LH-700 (600 & 300)
    $1,750

Viteri - 20's Style
    $4,500
    Guitar Gallery

Combs - Aldridge
    $5,000
    Our very own @jasonc
    Combs Instruments

Maurice Dupont - Lloyd
    €4,520 (EU tax incl.) (~$5500 USD)
    Jazz Archtop guitars Maurice DUPONT

Mowry - 16" archtop
    $7,000
    Guitar Gallery

Daniel Slaman - 1923 Style
    €6,600 / €7,950
    Features 1923 - New Vintage Guitars

Jackson Cunningham - 20's style archtop
    $9,500
    Cunningham Handmade Instruments - Home | Facebook

Paul Duff - K5
    $11,000 AUD (~$9k USD)
    https://www.duffmandolins.com/products_prices
    Paul Duff - Gibson L-5

Trenier - Broadway
    $10k
    Only 1 stock model made per year at that price.
    http://www.trenierguitars.com/#broadway

Yanuziello - Carmen Elle
    $12,800

Gilchrist - Model 16
    $28,000
    http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/model-16
    Last edited by spiral; 06-03-2021 at 01:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think you just about covered it, except maybe Gilchrist....
    Last edited by wintermoon; 07-02-2015 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

A couple of Japanese mfrs will do or have done it. Anchan in Hokkaido and Tsuji Shiro in Toyama spring to mind as people who have done so. Chaki (where Tsuji-san used to work) and I know there are a few others in Japan who have/do/would. Both would be less expensive than the US/UK mfrs noted above.

I expect Yolanda/Wu (Yunzhi/Hotman) from China do or could do as well if you asked...

User Info Menu

Rob Aylward, who built my semi, has made at least one. Here it is:

Rob Aylward archtop jazz guitar 1995 - CHANDLER GUITARS - 020 8940 5874 - Guitar shop London, UK

User Info Menu

Dupont Lloyd
    Jazz Archtop guitars Maurice DUPONT

video :

Dupont is a guitar builder, you can ask him some customizations.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys.

User Info Menu

I just discovered Jackson Cunningham and figured it would be worth adding him to this list. No idea what his prices start at, but they're gorgeous!

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Cunning...99973763483113

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Looking for who currently makes 16", parallel braced, acoustic L5's.

Collings - AT16
    ($16k ish?)
    Collings AT 16 | Handmade Instruments from Austin, TX
    By the way, the AT16 is X braced. The last "standard" AT16 that I saw for sale new was priced at $12,500, and the last varnish model was $14,500. I was at the Collings factory a few weeks ago and they were just finishing up this varnish AT16 with tortoise binding. It was gorgeous!

Last edited by backdrifter; 07-06-2015 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added photos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by travisty
    A couple of Japanese mfrs will do or have done it. Anchan in Hokkaido and Tsuji Shiro in Toyama spring to mind as people who have done so. Chaki (where Tsuji-san used to work) and I know there are a few others in Japan who have/do/would. Both would be less expensive than the US/UK mfrs noted above.

I expect Yolanda/Wu (Yunzhi/Hotman) from China do or could do as well if you asked...
    Thanks. I saw some of these guitars on Facebook but only a few archtops. My Japanese is rusty but maybe I can send a message. Gorgeous instruments, though I didn't see any 16" non-cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    Rob Aylward, who built my semi, has made at least one.
    That's nice looking. The proportions look pretty different (big f-holes, bigger body: 17"?) but good find. Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by nado64
    This looks so nice. Thank you! €4,520 (tax added) Nice to see a somewhat mid-tier price.

Quote Originally Posted by backdrifter
    I just discovered Jackson Cunningham and figured it would be worth adding him to this list. No idea what his prices start at, but they're gorgeous! https://m.facebook.com/pages/Cunning...99973763483113
    Wow. I'm blown away by this. Great find. I'm sending a message off to him now for more info. I expect it to fall in line with all the others above though. (ie. pricey for a mortal)

By the way, the AT16 is X braced. The last "standard" AT16 that I saw for sale new was priced at $12,500, and the last varnish model was $14,500. I was at the Collings factory a few weeks ago and they were just finishing up this varnish AT16 with tortoise binding. It was gorgeous!
    Thanks for the info. Welcome to the forum BTW. You and I have commiserated often about archtops on AGF (I'm polishbroadcast over there). Tortoise binding would look stunning. That is one thing that really sets off the Seventy Seven guitars.

List updated.
    Last edited by spiral; 07-06-2015 at 08:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Of course, I remember our discussions well! Thanks for the welcome, and it's nice to see you here as well!

Please keep us posted with the Cunningham prices. Those are very interested for sure. I just found them tonight. Other than them, I'm most interested by Mowry. His instruments are absolutely gorgeous and more "affordable" than the others (a relative term, I know). I'd love to play one of his guitars someday, but then again, I'm afraid that I would think that I needed one if I got the chance!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Of course, I remember our discussions well! Thanks for the welcome, and it's nice to see you here as well!

Please keep us posted with the Cunningham prices. Those are very interested for sure. I just found them tonight. Other than them, I'm most interested by Mowry. His instruments are absolutely gorgeous and more "affordable" than the others (a relative term, I know). I'd love to play one of his guitars someday, but then again, I'm afraid that I would think that I needed one if I got the chance!
    Andrew Mowry is a good man. His L-5 is based on an actual 1928 L-5 which was handed to him by the owner of Carmel Music to study and restore.

Jackson Cunningham looks like a good dude too. Rugby, VA sounds like a place I would like to live in. Thank you for letting me know about him and his works. I have written to Jackson and will keep you fellas posted on prices and stuff.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-07-2015 at 12:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Collings AT-16 looks great as all Collings guitars do. This looks like a 25.5" scale length AT-16. It has a slightly longer body length than an actual 1920s/1930s L-5, does it not? That changes things up a bit as the 16" L-5 has a 24.9" scale length.

There is a used 2008 AT-16 that will soon be available for sale. And a used 2009 AT-18 too, if you're into that. Lark Street Music, Teaneck, NJ has an AT-17 for sale at the time of writing. Well, collect all 3.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-07-2015 at 01:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Jabberwocky,

Yes, I remember that Mowry well. I drooled over it for some time. I'd want something very similar, sans the cutaway. I agree about the Collings too. They're great looking guitars. Obviously Bill wanted his own take on the Lloyd archtop, as he changed lots of little things. As you mentioned, 25.5" scale for one. The majority of AT16's are long scale, though there have been a few with the Gibson scale. Also X bracing. And honestly, I've always felt that Bill may have borrowed proportions and lines from the early 16" Epiphones as well, as the AT16 is more curvy and rounded than an L5, and the ratio of upper to lower bout sizes seems closer to the proportions used by Epiphone.

I'm a Collings fan in general, and have owned many, including an AT16. Here are some photos of mine, which was pretty standard for an AT16 minus the AT17-style "flared" headstock:

It was a wonderful guitar for sure. I only sold it due to my own neurosis. It was too expensive of a guitar for me to make peace with. I stared at it like art and played it around the house, but I was too paranoid to bring it to jams or to play it with the trio I was playing in at the time. So I sold it. I miss it sometimes, but don't really have any regrets. I'd take another one though, if I ever found the right deal!

On the same business trip that took me to the Collings factory, I also got to stop by Custom Shop Guitars in San Antonio. Among others, I was able to play their used AT17:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/collings-at17-cherry-sunburst

It was great. Hard to compare a guitar in your lap to a guitar in your head, but I almost had myself convinced that I preferred the AT17 to the AT16 that I had owned. I'd gladly take either though!

Where are the 2008 AT16 and the 2009 AT18 going to be available? I'd like to keep an eye on both, just for fun. I think a non-cut Collings AT18 could be my dream guitar, but I have yet to see one.
    Last edited by backdrifter; 07-07-2015 at 09:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Holy cow there's some drop dead guitars in this thread! I just can't imagine buying a guitar that costs more than a used car. But a guy can dream I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dallasblues
    Holy cow there's some drop dead guitars in this thread! I just can't imagine buying a guitar that costs more than a used car. But a guy can dream I guess.
    I certainly understand that. I think The Loar is a great option for the price. For around $1,000, you can get a taste of what it would be like to own a 20's or 30's Gibson. That's amazing! I've heard they can be quite good too, but there is some variance. So play a bunch, choose the best one, and you end up with a really cool instrument and plenty of cash left over for your next car!

User Info Menu

I certainly understand that. I think The Loar is a great option for the price. For around $1,000, you can get a taste of what it would be like to own a 20's or 30's Gibson. That's amazing! I've heard they can be quite good too, but there is some variance. So play a bunch, choose the best one, and you end up with a really cool instrument and plenty of cash left over for your next car!
    Ha! Yes sir! I'd definitely like to try a Loar sometime. Unfortunately I haven't seen any around the Dallas area yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Collings AT-16 looks great as all Collings guitars do. This looks like a 25.5" scale length AT-16. It has a slightly longer body length than an actual 1920s/1930s L-5, does it not? That changes things up a bit as the 16" L-5 has a 24.9" scale length.

There is a used 2008 AT-16 that will soon be available for sale. And a used 2009 AT-18 too, if you're into that. Lark Street Music, Teaneck, NJ has an AT-17 for sale at the time of writing. Well, collect all 3.
    If I was rolling in cash I'd jump on a Collings AT18 .... great guitars ... but I suspect the price for even a used one will be in the stratosphere

User Info Menu

I suppose if I were rolling in cash I'd just get a vintage L5.

User Info Menu

The funny thing, to me, is that a lot of my "grail" guitars turned out not to be my grail. I've been very fortunate to have been able to acquire and own some of my most coveted guitars - the AT16, a 1933 L-7, a Benedetto Frank Vignola, just to name a few. And they're all now gone. Yes, I have a bad habit of buying, selling, and trading. But I do have some good ones that have earned a permanent spot in my small but satisfying stable. But those - the ones that I wanted more than anything, did not. Not that they weren't amazing guitars, they certainly were, but they just didn't keep my attention for the long haul.

I guess my point is, if you think there's a guitar out there that you can't live without, try to find one and play it. It might draw you in until you're trying to sell your children to own it, or it may leave you completely cold and end GAS right then and there. I've had it go both ways, but regardless, it's better to know!

And remember, it's a fun, fun, fun ride. Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

The funny thing, to me, is that a lot of my "grail" guitars turned out not to be my grail.
    I'm very selective about what constitutes a grail for me. Most of the very few are just not obtainable due to cost - such as a pre-war Martin 000-18. A recent Golden Era model will need to be good enough.

Some guitars, though, don't have a true modern equivalent. The 1920s dot neck L-5 is one such creature. Built either during Loar's extremely brief tenure with Gibson or within a few years after, this little capsule of time is no more - and nobody is recreating it at any significant scale.

I own a 1928 (pre-Spann aging) L-5 with a neck made from single piece of flame maple, carved in the "most desirable" rounded profile, no vee at all. I spent the most money by a large margin for this instrument of any I've bought over 20+ years. I sold several other really nice ones to get it. The chance to buy it fell into my lap by sheer luck visiting a well known shop, before it was listed on their site.

I could have easily been disillusioned by it, as I've been by others that I've considered to be "OMG" guitars. But I will be completely honest here - it IS all it is said to be. I have theories about what happened to archtop guitars along the way, once Loar left and Gibson revamped some of his designs to save money, then the big bands took off and size/volume mattered, then the electric pickup happened, and... BANG. It was all over.

The early L-5 was, and is, truly something special. I would only trust someone to make a clone who was trying to fit into Lloyd Loar's shoes, who was trying to recreate not just the look or the measurements but the vision he had, which was to individually tune parts of the guitar to resonate at specific frequencies. That is what the famed signed label inside the earliest L-5s actually attests to. It is special, and while we may be reaching a point of diminishing returns here, if you play one and appreciate such things, it will likely distinguish itself from all you've played before.

User Info Menu

Yeah they are starting to seem affordable in comparison. I've never liked vintage instruments. I always feel like I have to be careful, prefer the feel of new instruments, and not having to repair them immediately.

Jackson Cunningham price added.
    Last edited by spiral; 07-07-2015 at 12:52 PM.

User Info Menu

"I've never liked vintage instruments. I always feel like I have to be careful and just prefer the feel of new instruments and not having to repair them immediately."

exact opposite here....

too many new guitars [not all] sound and feel new to me.
    I like the feel and sound of a well broken in vintage guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Yeah they are starting to seem affordable in comparison. I've never liked vintage instruments. I always feel like I have to be careful, prefer the feel of new instruments, and not having to repair them immediately.

Jackson Cunningham price added.
    Thanks for adding the price! I don't feel it's out of whack, but it is more than I was hoping for. So far I think Andrew Mowry's guitars are the deal of the century. Still not "cheap", but more realistic than all of the others, and the fact that he spent some time with a 20's L5 taking detailed measurements, and then built a guitar to similar specs is very encouraging.

As for vintage guitars - I have owned some, played many, and loved lots. I have also played more than my fair share of dogs. I for one don't buy into the notion that just because a guitar is vintage, or even from a specific year or era, that it is automatically a great instrument. Nor do I buy into the notion that new instruments cannot be as great as the greatest vintage instruments. Anything is possible. I have played "grail" quality instruments that were absolute duds, and been stunned by new instruments that I wasn't excited about before picking them up. Evaluate each and every one with your own ears and your own grading system and you'll always be happy.
    Last edited by backdrifter; 07-07-2015 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah ... I want everything I've seen on the internet .... at least when it comes to guitars

That's my problem