Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

I know a guy who's working on one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I believe one reason this size is not as popular is the bass response. This Duff certainly sounds fine but just listening it lacks the bottom end of a 17 or in 18 guitar. It really is whatever your ears hear but most 16 inch guitars just do not quite have the bass response I am looking for and they do no feel as comfortable to me to play.
    I think it's a case of horses for courses. The smaller guitars may not have as much bass but they seem to play nicer with all the other instruments in a band context. I've also never been on a gig and thought "Man, I wish I had more bass."....and neither has my bass player ever wished I had more bass. Haha

User Info Menu

If you've ever played a 20's L-5 you'd never complain about a lack of bass response.
    Those guitars cover the entire frequency range beautifully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Could you help add to this list? Looking for who currently makes 16", parallel braced, acoustic L5's. Cosmetic differences don't matter. Also if you know of makers that have made them, but maybe aren't known for it, please include it.

The Loar - LH-700 (600 & 300)
    $1,200 (ish)
    The Loar - Archtop Acoustic LH-700-VS

Maurice Dupont - Lloyd
    €4,520 (EU tax incl.)
    Jazz Archtop guitars Maurice DUPONT

Mowry - 16" archtop
    $6,500
    Guitar Gallery

Daniel Slaman - 1923 Style
    €6,600 / €7,950
    Features 1923 - New Vintage Guitars

Jackson Cunningham - 20's style archtop
    $8900
    Cunningham Handmade Instruments - Home | Facebook
    Jackson's shop

Paul Duff - K5 (not on his site other than price)
    $10,000
    Paul Duff - Gibson L-5

Collings - AT16
    $12k (ish)
    Collings AT 16 | Handmade Instruments from Austin, TX

Yanuziello - Carmen Elle
    $12,800
    Archtops
    Thanks !

And that's my real problem - - you start with the Loar at $1200. but then, the next one to consider jumps to either $5000. or $6000.
    If I could only get to three or so, - - .

Now if only Collings would decide to make a 'Waterloo' archtop.........

User Info Menu

Updates made to the first post
    • Loar prices have gone way up in 8 years. Originally they were around $900 and now are $1750 new.
    • Added Jason's (jcombs) Aldridge (he has videos of himself playing it on his Facebook page)
    • Added the Trenier Broadway
    • Updated the Duff K5 to indicate Australian dollars (though not that much cheaper after the conversion)
    • Updated the Cunningham price to $9500 (up from $8500, as of Apr 2020; last time I asked he was a year or two out)
    • Added Viteri & Gilchrist prices
    Last edited by spiral; 06-02-2021 at 10:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Last week I played a Cunningham, a Gilchrist, and a very famous 1928 L5. The L5 was probably the best guitar I've ever played (apparently Matt Munisteri said the same). The Cunningham was surprisingly thin sounding, and the Gilchrist was absolutely wonderful (not an L5 but he nailed the character).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Updates made to the first post
    • Loar prices have gone way up in 8 years. Originally they were around $900 and now are $1750 new.
    • Added Jason's (jcombs) Aldridge (he has videos of himself playing it on his Facebook page)
    • Added the Trenier Broadway
    • Updated the Duff K5 to indicate Australian dollars (though not that much cheaper after the conversion)
    • Updated the Cunningham price to $9500 (up from $8500, as of Apr 2020; last time I asked he was a year or two out)
    • Added Viteri & Gilchrist prices
    Hey thanks for updating.

I understand the AT-16s are no longer in production? Is that right?

User Info Menu

Eastman produce some acoustic archtops that bridge the price gap between Loar and DuPont, but I don’t think any of them could be exactly described as early L5 clones.

User Info Menu

Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-2-25-005-768x1024-jpg

I considered ( or 'envied', 'lusted after' etc. ) one of those L-5's, but decided on a '30's style L-7, but 16 in. .......It's still a kick !

User Info Menu

Dennis D, those are mighty fine guitars. If it's not too much trouble, would you please say a few words contrasting these two?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Dennis D, those are mighty fine guitars. If it's not too much trouble, would you please say a few words contrasting these two?
    ....." A few words ? "........( I am Irish so consider yourself warned )..... : )

The '37 is x-braced and 17 in., and the Camp. is parallel and 16 in. Playability is basically identical because Mark C duplicated the carve of the '37 neck, f/b width and scale. They are strung the same - - 12/52 D'A Chromes.....and flats....yes flats.....I figured I can always get more volume any time by going to round wounds, so in the beginning I just wanted to see how loud the Camp. would be out of the box, and then whether I could live with it like that. I already knew all about the L-7.
    As far as the sounds of the two, maybe some other comparisons would also help. My other guitars are a '50's L-7, and a WesMo along with these two.
    And to me, the '37 sounds the best of them all - - period. However you judge it, top, midrange, bottom, response, overtones, single notes or chords, top-to-bottom on the f/b, the '37 sound beats them all. All these descriptions are acoustic- only, including the WesMo, although it has the obvious acoustic disadvantage.
    As I learned from other members here, these '30's L-7's and others were double carved, and really have a sound. If I ever saw another from that era I'd try to buy it too. The top on mine was ' settled ' a little when I got it, but the braces have not separated, and it hasn't gotten any worse since I've owned it - - 20 years.
    As for the Campellone, the treble response was as expected and the lighter bottom end was also no surprise. But the midrange response was definitely a surprise, again top-to-bottom, etc, it lets you play hard at it as I am want to do at times and still seems to have some grunt left. I once owned an L-5 R/I, and never could get that kind of bite out of it and believe me I tried.
    I recently showed it to a pro friend of mine and he said he'd have used a shorter t/p, ( better volume ? ) but I had seen some and they just didn't look proportional to me. Otherwise, Mark C did good !

So hope that helps......

User Info Menu

Yes. Thanks. That helps. I'm an L-7 lover, and a Campellone-ophile too!
    I really enjoy this tread and reading about the iconic vintage guitars,
    when compared with the more current masters, like M.C., et al.
    Some real beauties here, and I'm glad to see them being appreciated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thanks !
    Now if only Collings would decide to make a 'Waterloo' archtop.........
    I believe they do - Waterloo WL-AT Archtop Acoustic Guitar| Waterloo by Collings Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloos66

Just too bad about the way they sound.....
    Last edited by Dennis D; 06-04-2021 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

My '44 L7 is hands down one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've encountered.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    My '44 L7 is hands down one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've encountered.
    that guitar deserves to be recorded. Don’t be shy, bring it by, so I can record you.

User Info Menu

There’s some beautiful instruments on this thread aren’t there?

My lowly The Loar 600 is a barking good guitar. The neck angle is perfect the finger board is flat. I jack up that bridge and it puts out the distinctive 20’s tone. Parallel bracing! It even smells like an old Gibson!

But those instruments on this thread are really beautiful! I can only imagine how beautiful they must sound. Thanks!