The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

I suppose any skilled archtop builder with a reasonable amount of experience and talent could do it.
    Gilchrist was mentioned up top - I don't know what he's charging these days, but I'm sure his instruments are priced at the higher end for this style of guitar.

A guy like Mark Campellone could certainly build a '20s style L-5, but I'm not sure if he'd entertain the various custom features it would require - he has done the snakehead headstock a few times(and it is lovely, IMO) and one or two-piece necks, but I'm not sure if he'd want to bother with the more overt recarve, narrow f-holes or the darkburst finish. Easy enough to ask, I suppose.

My guess is that he'd base it on a Standard with no pickup, which starts at $4,600. All the options required to bring it in line with a '20s L-5 would probably push it up into to $6,000 - $6,500 range.

He bases his guitars firmly on Gibson designs, as opposed to the more recent Benedetto approach.
    Campellone snakehead:
    Attached Images Attached Images Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-500x1000px-ll-f91685b2_780229432_jqcwj-m-jpeg Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-500x1000px-ll-034a1a4b_780229581_ddtfa-m-jpeg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-26-2017 at 11:44 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both Triggs and Campellone build variations on the theme, though neither seem to be as close of a copy as some of the luthiers listed above make.

Triggs:
    2014 Triggs 16" Archtop - Vintage Guitars Since 1965 - Matt Umanov Guitars

Campellone:
    Well darn, I can't find the link now. But Acousticmusic.org recently had a 16", non-cut, purely acoustic Campellone in stock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I suppose any skilled archtop builder with a reasonable amount of experience and talent could do it.
    Gilchrist was mentioned up top - I don't know what he's charging these days, but I'm sure his instruments are priced at the higher end for this style of guitar.

A guy like Mark Campellone could certainly build a '20s style L-5, but I'm not sure if he'd entertain the various custom features it would require - he has done the snakehead headstock (and it is lovely, IMO) and one or two-piece necks, but I'm not sure if he'd want to bother with the more overt recarve, narrow f-holes or the darkburst finish. Easy enough to ask, I suppose.
    Thanks. Yeah anyone can probably do it, but most are in the Benedetto school of design. There aren't many that really are interested in the style because there isn't a market. Having a guitar built outside of the normal style of a luthier isn't a good combo IME.

I saw that Campellone but when I called him 2 years ago he was not interested at all in any deviations. He wanted to build his stock models only. That may have changed because a friend just asked about an oval hole build and Mark was all about doing it. The workload probably determines it. Yeah that noncut is really pretty but it follows a more modern L5 style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    The early L-5 was, and is, truly something special. I would only trust someone to make a clone who was trying to fit into Lloyd Loar's shoes, who was trying to recreate not just the look or the measurements but the vision he had, which was to individually tune parts of the guitar to resonate at specific frequencies. That is what the famed signed label inside the earliest L-5s actually attests to. It is special, and while we may be reaching a point of diminishing returns here, if you play one and appreciate such things, it will likely distinguish itself from all you've played before.
    This was my goal with the thread: people who have really looked at the L5 and understand how it is built and have an interest in that style.

What's interesting is that a true in-the-shoes Lloyd Loar would have a Virzi Tone Producer—which Gibson promptly ditched right when Loar left, and Monteleone apparently isn't a fan of it either.
    Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-virzi_l5-jpg

Another thing I learned: we have Loar to thank for bringing the idea of tap tuning tops from violins, but concert pitch during the 20's was different from what we use today, so the instruments were tuned to literally a different time—C=256 (A=431). Apparently that contributes to the great tone of the guitars now. Happy accident.

If you haven't seen this page, this is a great bio of Loar from Roger Siminoff:
    Lloyd Allayre Loar, 1886-1943 | Siminoff Banjo & Mandolin Parts
    Last edited by spiral; 07-07-2015 at 06:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Could you help add to this list? Looking for who currently makes 16", parallel braced, acoustic L5's. Cosmetic differences don't matter. Also if you know of makers that have made them, but maybe aren't known for it, please include it.

The Loar - LH-700 (600 & 300)
    $1,200 (ish)
    The Loar - Archtop Acoustic LH-700-VS

Maurice Dupont - Lloyd
    €4,520 (EU tax incl.)
    Jazz Archtop guitars Maurice DUPONT

Mowry - 16" archtop
    $6,500
    Guitar Gallery

Daniel Slaman - 1923 Style
    €6,600 / €7,950
    Features 1923 - New Vintage Guitars

Jackson Cunningham - 20's style archtop
    $8900
    https://www.facebook.com/CunninghamHandmadeInstruments
    Jackson's shop

Paul Duff - K5 (not on his site other than price)
    $10,000
    Paul Duff - Gibson L-5

Collings - AT16
    $12k (ish)
    Collings AT 16 | Handmade Instruments from Austin, TX

Yanuziello - Carmen Elle
    $12,800
    Archtops
    That Mowry is just sick!! Also, I'd have to imaging it sounds just a gorgeous as it looks. What a beauty!!!! That's just magnificent old school Gibson-esque delight.

User Info Menu

Interestingly, it looks like Ryan Thorell (who makes Frank Vignola's signature guitar) makes a 16" L5ish guitar too:

Thorell "The Luxerado" Acoustic Archtop Guitar, New | om28.com

User Info Menu

My own L-5-like grail is slightly different. Early 1930s Roger, by Franz Hirsch:

Last edited by Hammertone; 04-28-2017 at 12:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Could you help add to this list? Looking for who currently makes 16", parallel braced, acoustic L5's. Cosmetic differences don't matter. Also if you know of makers that have made them, but maybe aren't known for it, please include it.

The Loar - LH-700 (600 & 300)
    $1,200 (ish)
    The Loar - Archtop Acoustic LH-700-VS

Maurice Dupont - Lloyd
    €4,520 (EU tax incl.)
    Jazz Archtop guitars Maurice DUPONT

Mowry - 16" archtop
    $6,500
    Guitar Gallery

Daniel Slaman - 1923 Style
    €6,600 / €7,950
    Features 1923 - New Vintage Guitars

Jackson Cunningham - 20's style archtop
    $8900
    https://www.facebook.com/CunninghamHandmadeInstruments
    Jackson's shop

Paul Duff - K5 (not on his site other than price)
    $10,000
    Paul Duff - Gibson L-5

Collings - AT16
    $12k (ish)
    Collings AT 16 | Handmade Instruments from Austin, TX

Yanuziello - Carmen Elle
    $12,800
    Archtops
    Great thread! And very cool that you update the OP with poster's suggestions.

Mowry and Cunningham are discoveries for me. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backdrifter
    Interestingly, it looks like Ryan Thorell (who makes Frank Vignola's signature guitar) makes a 16" L5ish guitar too:

Thorell "The Luxerado" Acoustic Archtop Guitar, New | om28.com
    Wow!

User Info Menu

PSA currently at Gruhn's:

AR4461 The Cunningham L-5 new

AR4461, The Cunningham L-5, new, red spruce top, beautifully figured maple neck, back, and sides, French polish finish, excellent tone and volume, HC, a superb hand crafted instrument by Jackson Cunningham of Rugby, VA ...$9,500.00

User Info Menu

I wonder if these makers use a more modern neck profile?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I wonder if these makers use a more modern neck profile?
    From the pics, it looks like that Cunningham has a soft v-profile. I believe that the girth and the mass of the neck contribute to the sound of the 30s guitars.

User Info Menu

Michael Viteri has added a 16" L5 to his model list. I don't think any pictures have gotten on his website yet, but a few are floating around on Facebook.

Viteri Guitars

User Info Menu

Seeing Bryant Trenier's last Broadway examples online, I'd definitely say he needs to be added to this list.
    Obviously, he's got D'A influences along with the Loar-ones, but it's definitely in the same ballpark.

Also, I visited San Francisco last weekend with my '32 L-5, also played three different Loars. Of course, they weren't same as the real thing, but each one (a 700, a 600 and even a 300) was well played-in, and had a great acoustic voice. Man, if Loars had been available when I started...geez, man, it would've saved me a bunch of time and money.

User Info Menu

I have owned many guitars from this period including a current DA snakehead - and I can confidently state that my Trenier Broadway is the best sounding of them all ( that I've owned) . It has the sweetness of the D'Angelico with enormous volume and sensitivity. It is an incredible instrument - the best of my 35 plus years of owning high end guitars ..... period .

User Info Menu

Steve, I just noticed how wide that spruce grain is, especially towards the edges.
    bet that gives it a lot of bark. is it Adirondack?
    just a killer looking guitar too.

destinytot Guest
    Great thread, with some stunningly beautiful guitars.

I'm interested in a Loar, but I'd need a pick guard. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice as to which, please? Thanks!
    Last edited by destinytot; 05-24-2016 at 06:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Steve, I just noticed how wide that spruce grain is, especially towards the edges.
    bet that gives it a lot of bark. is it Adirondack?
    just a killer looking guitar too.
    Wintermoon,
    Yes, you are very observant . The top is Adirondack and it has tremendous bark , yet the tone is fat and thick, not thin and bright like some Ive had from that early period. The guitar is a Canon on steroids. It vibrates your entire chest and sounds like an organ at time s. I wish you guys could play this - it's that good.
    Bryant was actually restoring a 20's L 5 for Rudy Pensa during my build and he applied the finish by hand just like the early Gibson process. The bridge is typical D'Angelico style and the bass is fitted precisely - with zero gaps.
    Compared to my Snakehead DA, which is an incredible guitar - this one is slightly warmer and louder with tremendous resonance and sustain. The DA is a little brighter sounding and less sustain - but enormous bark.
    The day I picked up the guitar I was just blown away with emotion. Bryant is so passionate about these " old brown" loyd / early DA period guitars - as he states- and the final results are just amazing. He builds one Broadway per year. Here is a full pic of front.

User Info Menu

Why in the H. E. double hockey sticks did I click on this thread!! It is a bit GASy in here don't you think?

Exquisite instruments!!

Michael Viteri
    Viteri Guitars

Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-img_2469-jpg

16" with a floating Charlie Christian pickup:

Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-fullsizerender-jpg

User Info Menu

I just found a builder I didn't know about and the guitar I saw (online) may qualify as an early L-5-clone.

Flammang SA-45
    Flammang SA-45 | Acoustic Music

15-1/4" lower bout though, and 1-13/16" nut. And a price tag of $3,250. quite low compared to to other prices in the list of guitars above.

Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-img_0483-jpg

If we look not only at 16" L-5 replicas, pastiches, or hommages, I have a guitar luthier Paul Lestock (Arrow) built like a 1929 L-5 except the body is scaled down to 14" at the lower bout, while the guitar has a 24.9 scale length and a 1-3/4" nut. Oh, and a venetian cutaway. The neck was copied from one of Tony Marcus' late-20s L-5.

Here is the Lestock Arrow archtop 14:

Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-img_0482-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Who makes a 1920s original-style L5?-flammang-c-152-f-jpg 

User Info Menu

I thought it worth resurrecting this thread after seeing this video of one of Paul Duff's builds that is for sale at Carter's Vintage. I would really like to hear what it sounds like picked and strummed further away from the bridge, but it still sounds awfully stunning.

User Info Menu

I believe one reason this size is not as popular is the bass response. This Duff certainly sounds fine but just listening it lacks the bottom end of a 17 or in 18 guitar. It really is whatever your ears hear but most 16 inch guitars just do not quite have the bass response I am looking for and they do no feel as comfortable to me to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    This Duff certainly sounds fine but just listening it lacks the bottom end of a 17 or in 18 guitar.
    Well, and many larger archtops don't have the crisp but sweet single note articulation of that 16" box. He's playing it like a flattop, which is exactly what a guitar built to mimic a 1920s L-5 should be able to achieve. I think it sounds great!

Also, to be fair, he's playing the top 3 strings almost the whole time. We get one open G chord at the end, and you can hear the balance of the instrument, if only briefly.

User Info Menu

$10K for the Duff