The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 87

User Info Menu

Just bought some. Best polish that I have ever used on nitro by far and I have tried them all. Their cleaner works great on arm haze and sweat. No abrasives. Liquid gold IMO. A bit pricey like TI's and L5's but once you buy it you are very glad you did. Best price I have found is at Reverb. Really impressed me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The best stuff I've ever used!! period!!

User Info Menu

I used this stuff on my nitro guitars for years. The best!

User Info Menu

great stuff and a bottle lasts forever.
    I almost always use the polish, rarely use the cleaner, a bit too abrasive for most jobs.

User Info Menu

Didn't like it... tasted horrible.

User Info Menu

"Didn't like it... tasted horrible"

Got the mix wrong.....

1/3 cup Virtuoso
    2/3 cup water
    1 shot Jim Beam

User Info Menu

best of all you can become a virtuoso without practicing, just use the polish!

User Info Menu

It's kind of pricey. Any reason why it would be better than Meginar's when an abrasive is called for and Zymol for polish?

User Info Menu

Oh Vinny, haven't I thought you anything?
    Menzerna Powerlock.. Come on bro.

Sorry Joe tried the Menzerna and though it is very great stuff the Virtuoso is better on nitro IMO. I did use the Powelock on my car. Shiniest car on my block for sure. The Virtuoso makes your guitar neck slicker than the Valdez oil spill and stays that way for a very long time. I used to use S100 Carnuaba wax for that real slick neck feel but the Virtuoso blows that away too. Nothing worse than a sticky funky neck. The Virtuoso will make your guitar neck the fasted neck in the west or in your case Joe the east. Just make sure you have a pair of sunglasses on hand when you are done using it. What caught my interest on this stuff is the fact that it was designed for use on nitrocellulose instrument lacquer. Comparing it to Gibson polish is like comparing a Epiphone Joe Pass to a Gibson L5CES.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 06-09-2015 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Polish is not wax; wax is not polish. Polish shines; wax protects.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Sorry Joe tried the Menzerna and though it is very great stuff the Virtuoso is better on nitro IMO. I did use the Powelock on my car. Shiniest car on my block for sure. The Virtuoso makes your guitar neck slicker than the Valdez oil spill and stays that way for a very long time. I used to use S100 Carnuaba wax for that real slick neck feel but the Virtuoso blows that away too. Nothing worse than a sticky funky neck. The Virtuoso will make your guitar neck the fasted neck in the west or in your case Joe the east. Just make sure you have a pair of sunglasses on hand when you are done using it. What caught my interest on this stuff is the fact that it was designed for use on nitrocellulose instrument lacquer. Comparing it to Gibson polish is like comparing a Epiphone Joe Pass to a Gibson L5CES.
    Alright so maybe you taught me something.. AGAIN
    ill try it for sure..
    sorry you didn't like the powerlock.

User Info Menu

Virtuoso polish is great for nitro finish (I believe it was designed specifically for nitro).

The neck on my Gibson 175 had some bad cloudy patches for years, then during some hot weather last year it started getting really sticky and nasty to play. It got so bad that bits of waxy brown stuff were actually coming out of the wood if I wiped it with a cloth.

So I ordered the Virtuoso polish, and it completely fixed it. It got rid of all the sticky feel, and put a pretty good sheen back on the neck. As for the rest of the guitar, it shone up like new.
    Last edited by grahambop; 06-10-2015 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Is this the product under discussion?

http://www.amazon.com/Virtuoso-Instr...+Guitar+polish

$13.48 for 4 oz does seem steep but .................. I think our instruments deserve a lot of love.

User Info Menu

No issues on poly?

Nothing hurts poly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    No issues on poly?
    I think it works on poly too, but there may be cheaper alternatives for that. The point with nitro is that it not only polishes it, but sorts out problems with the finish.

You don't need to use much to get good results.

User Info Menu

Nothing hurts poly.
    Except perhaps, for Captain Jack Sparrow?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M
    Is this the product under discussion?

http://www.amazon.com/Virtuoso-Instr...+Guitar+polish

$13.48 for 4 oz does seem steep but .................. I think our instruments deserve a lot of love.
    Yes that's the stuff I've got. You just put a small blob on, wipe it around with a clean cloth, then buff it off again with a clean part of the cloth. They say you should not apply it with a part of the cloth that you've used before, because it will expel the gunk off the cloth, and you'll be rubbing it back onto the guitar. So always use a clean bit.

Hey Joe....your black L5 glows like a 200w bulb now. After you use this stuff you wonder why it is only $13.00 for the small little bottle. You know me, I am critical and not easily impressed. You can tell the 1st time you use this stuff that nitrocellulose loves this stuff. I too had a cloudy spot on the neck of my 175. After one application it is completely gone and slicker than snot. I am kind of thinking this stuff may really help prevent checking too just by the way the nitro feels after you use it. That of course is just a Vinny theory though. TI flats and Virtuoso polish will always be in my arsenal.
    Marc has been using this stuff for a long time and he plays DA's. I came late to the party.

User Info Menu

Virtuoso does not seem to be sold here locally. Does anyone know how it compares to Music Nomad guitar polish (which I haven't tried yet either)?

You have to get Virtuoso online. I tried the Nomad stuff and didn't like it. It also had a heavy perfume smell to it. The Nomad probably works well on poly.

User Info Menu

Arm haze! I didn't know there was a word for it, but that's exactly what I'm getting since I've been playing my new 175. I get it everytime I play it seems. It wipes off with polish. Should I be cleaning it off with polish everytime or is it like a once a week thing?

User Info Menu

You have to get Virtuoso online. I tried the Nomad stuff and didn't like it. It also had a heavy perfume smell to it. The Nomad probably works well on poly.
    Thanks! The heavy perfume smell would be a huge turn off for me! Plus all my guitars have a nitro finish.

User Info Menu

I have a 72 Gibson Les Paul which seems to be exhibiting the finish issues described. I've used Martin Guitar Polish and another popular brand with cleaner and a Carnuba based wax. I still have the dull spots where the ravages of age have left their mark.
    The question is, is the finish on my LP nitro or other? Have not been able to find a spec for that year.

Thanks in advance.