The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 87 of 87

User Info Menu

I finally received it and proceeded to trying it. It works better than I expected. Thanks for the advice!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    I finally received it and proceeded to trying it. It works better than I expected. Thanks for the advice!
    Told you so!

destinytot Guest
    UK-based supplier (also ships).

User Info Menu

It seems everyone had good experiences with Virtuoso Polish and Cleaner. I used the cleaner on my 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent that has a nitro finish and now it is cloudy. No matter what I do it keeps clouding up or showing spots. I buffed it, put on more polish and buffed it again, used a damp cloth and buffed it again, still cloudy. Any remedies? I remember this guitar always clouded up using Gibson polish back in the 1970's. It hasn't been polished often. I did clean it with Dunlop 65 not too long ago. I haven't tried the Virtuoso polish yet.

User Info Menu

Just ordered the polish and cleaner off of Reverb. Now let's see if it will clean up my Les Paul, put an enviable shine on my car and make a great beer chaser as stated in previous postings.

User Info Menu

Zymöl GBC# Gloss Finish Restorer and Glaze $45

or what looks suspiciously like the same thing rebottled

Pro Strength Guitar Polish for Nitro and Poly Finishes - MusicNomad - Music Nomad $8.99.

User Info Menu

I put Virtuoso polish on the guitar and that cleared things up, pun intended. I haven't ever seen it look this shiny or feel as smooth. It has a "new guitar" feel, although it's all dinged up and worn underneath.

User Info Menu

All of the stuff marketed by Music Stores to me is basically a way to charge more because you think you got something only for guitars. Like Danny W says I use Meguiar's stuff that is used in the automobile industry. You can buy different grades for different uses but I hope I know what I am doing maybe the average player does not.

This reminds me of buying bicycle lubrication for your bike's chain and other parts. I repair and can build bicycles too and I go to the box store and buy the cheap bottle of 1/4 horsepower lube for $2.99 about 3 times cheaper than anything at the bike shop. It works fine and it all is about the audience and marketing in many cases. In fact I buy guitar and bike tools in the box store because many of them are simply ordinary everyday tools. Allen Wrenches, wire cutters, saws, and hand tools.

I am not saying the Virtuoso stuff is no good just that I am guessing it is expense compared to other options.

User Info Menu

It was here about 2012 when one day I asked this guy named Patrick, of New Jersey, who had some 50 guitars hanging around his bathroom, which also had a fireplace, what’s the best guitar polish for nitro finishes?

He said: Virtuoso

On that day a love affair was born. I’ve never looked at another polish since.

User Info Menu

I have a question. My main players are 2 nitro and 1 poly. I also play in short sleeves and the lower bout gets a bit sweaty (sorry). I always wipe down with a clean cloth and most of the time I have a cloth over the bout where my arm makes contact as I thought that I was damaging the finish. Is this true, or is it ok to play without the cloth barrier and just do a good wipedown after every session? I was more worried about the nitro finishes than the poly. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Any contact with the guitar can cause wear and tear. Play your guitar as you like just be sensible if you want it looking good years later.

Think of it like we humans, over time we take a beating matter what we do even nothing. But we can help our cause with the right mix of diet, work, exercise, and self care.

User Info Menu

I have used Wizard car polish on mine for awhile - recommended by none other than Dave Rogers.

There’s no magic to polishing. (I say this as a woodworker.) You can use a detergent to clean grime, a polish to provide a glossy finish or a rubbing compound to abrade away surface imperfections. The pros would use all 3.

Having said that, the neck of my 135 is sticky, so I may give the Virtuoso a try. (A few years ago I tried some wet sanding, and that was a minor disaster.) If it’s good enough for Vinny, it’s good enough for me.