The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 309

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by add4
    Mine is more classical looking, but the red tolex makes it look as awful as it sounds magical Polytone in a Pedaland it's the best steal protection system I could imagine Polytone in a Pedal
    I envy You (and did Lawson-Stone had similar?) for that red devil!

...But despite of that feeling I would never re-tolex my Polytone with red tolex...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie

...But despite of that feeling I would never re-tolex my Polytone with red tolex...
    The real reason to envy me is that I payed it 25 euros Polytone in a Pedal

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by add4
    The real reason to envy me is that I payed it 25 euros Polytone in a Pedal
    Polytone in a Pedal-image-1-jpeg

Wow, THAT was a good deal!

But I ain't gonna envy that. My first Polytone was a '70s/'80s 102 which I found from the garbage pile in the back of our rehearsal room. Yes, found, 0 euro.

It buzzed and scratched so I took it to the tech who repaired it for 78 euros.

My current Mini Brute IV cost 450 euros. You could buy 18 Red Devils with that!

User Info Menu

Haha I love those "great findings" stories. I always hoped I'd have mine.
    Soon I guess we'll hear about some guys finding an axe fx on a pile of garbage

User Info Menu

Yes that would be me. I have an open-back Baby Brute, 10" speaker, in red.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polytone in a Pedal-img_5456-jpg 

User Info Menu

Haha I love those "great findings" stories. I always hoped I'd have mine.
    Soon I guess we'll hear about some guys finding an axe fx on a pile of garbage

User Info Menu

Polytone in a Pedal-image-1-jpeg

Wow, THAT was a good deal!

But I ain't gonna envy that. My first Polytone was a '70s/'80s 102 which I found from the garbage pile in the back of our rehearsal room. Yes, found, 0 euro.

It buzzed and scratched so I took it to the tech who repaired it for 78 euros.

My current Mini Brute IV cost 450 euros. You could buy 18 Red Devils with that!
    Yes but those are hard to find Polytone in a PedalPolytone in a Pedal450 euros sounds really cheap for à polytone most of those I see on the second hand market are around 6-700 now here

User Info Menu

Hey all.

Still waiting for the pcbs and the knobs.

Meanwhile I thought you'd like a pic of a booster I just finished for a local band here.
    The visual is pretty much the same so I thought you'd be interested.

Peace to you all

User Info Menu

It has a very tasteful and professional look. Those knobs are perfect for it!

User Info Menu

Looks good!

User Info Menu

It looks nice. For my taste there is a bit too much text (like "true bypass" or "led ..") that makes it a bit busy. Otherwise it is really nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    It looks nice. For my taste there is a bit too much text (like "true bypass" or "led ..") that makes it a bit busy. Otherwise it is really nice!
    Thanks for your advice.
    At the beginning the idea of that box "artwork" was to have a bunch of small texts on the pedal, describing the effect. And also some of these information would be silly/obvious to give a kind of "cute" effect.
    Most of these texts disappeared to make room for the band logo, so what remains is a bit out of its place I agree. Polytone in a Pedal

User Info Menu

And now the fun begins again

User Info Menu

Very excited how this will turn out and how it will sound when fully assembled and shielded! I have entertained a similar idea for quite some time but never got beyond the level of building "pedal-kits" which were pre-layed out and basically an exercise in Lego-building with a bit of soldering involved.

User Info Menu

Ok. I just finished this

And I must say I'm pretty excited by the result.

I heavily changed the low end control switch which I didn't like and found what I think is a great sounding alternative. The only problem is that I need to modify things on the boards themselves but that's how you improve.

To me, it's sounds like a much more powerful RC booster, 100% clean. With much more sound forging capabilities. It can really fattens your sound but also make it more alive in a good way.
    I'm probably not objective but I'm proud
    I'll put that in a box and try to come up with a crappy video soon and a better one a bit later

Last edited by add4; 03-05-2017 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Looking very good, excited to hear it in action! Will you run it through an FX-In right into the power amp? And is the low end control switch derived from the original Polytone schematic or your own modification? I don't remember them having such a switch but neither am I an expert on the subject.

User Info Menu

So, is that your booster or your preamp? I actually love what a RC Booster does to the clean tone before any breakup. It gets so round and fat and lively. That would be an always on pedal for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Ferret
    Looking very good, excited to hear it in action! Will you run it through an FX-In right into the power amp? And is the low end control switch derived from the original Polytone schematic or your own modification? I don't remember them having such a switch but neither am I an expert on the subject.

Actually it can do both... theoretically. I tried it in the front end of a fender. But it could be used into the return of an effect loop. I just don't have an amp with one Polytone in a Pedal.

The low end control is something of my design, requested by the members of the forum. So now there is basically 3 positions: "normal" with all the basses coming through
    "Less normal" with less bass. The rest of the signal is left intact. The basses are there, but it's less boomy
    "Low mids" where most of the bass are heavily filtered.

User Info Menu

In the normal position it's an exact polytone preamp with the voice switch and 3 band eq

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    So, is that your booster or your preamp? I actually love what a RC Booster does to the clean tone before any breakup. It gets so round and fat and lively. That would be an always on pedal for me.
    It is the preamp. And it can actually do that "fat and lively" thing too. And much more since it has the voice and lec switches and the mid pots. The EQ is a bit more mid heavy than the RC booster but the voice switch can make it brighter than the RC or fatter.

Last edited by add4; 03-05-2017 at 05:43 PM.

User Info Menu

And I don't know if this will turn into anything solid or not but I might be getting some video demonstrations from the gypsy guitar players of "les doigts de l'homme". They also use electric sometimes. That should be interesting if it happens.

User Info Menu

I hadn't heard of "les doigts de l'homme" and looked them up, that would amazing if they test played the pedal! If they should have an amp with FX-In I would be very interested to hear that as well. It seems to me, that with the standard Polytone position and suitable speaker it should come very close to the original, which would be very exciting. One could run it through any compact not too expensive SS amp with an FX-In and get a reliable and cheap Polytone. Thanks for sharing your project with us!

User Info Menu

And here is the first prototype.

There are a few things that will change for the next versions:

- obviously the knobs. The good ones should be there soon but those are the only thin ones I had left. It's just to have a clue of the position of the pot.
    - the controls are inverted on this prototype. So the bass is treble and treble is bass. And lec is voice and voice is lec.
    This is due to a stupid mistake of mine. And it will be corrected
    - i want to change the name to "multitone" and not "multitones"

But the it's working perfectly and sounds great. And the general idea is there.

What do you guys think.

I will try to do a very crappy demo soon. And better ones in the near future. But I'll most probably be busy the whole weekend with life and family and friends and other non music related stuff. Sadly.

Anyway let me know what you think

User Info Menu

Cool! Will be waiting on the sound test.

Those knobs actually don't bother me a bit.

User Info Menu

Haha good to know. They are less classy and much cheaper