The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

I don't know why but it works for me that's all I can say.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

so does the djembe As I said. I do none of that, play and practice 3 + hours a day and my GS112 strings have been on the axe for over a year though I have changed the plain strings a few times.

User Info Menu

i should add, I play very hard and aggressively. I have not babied the strings. They do not have a break-in period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    ...when you cut the string, when ever you do it, beware to cut it on the right side ...
    When you cut the string, make sure the right side, I mean the leftover, and not the direction to the nut, otherwise you will hear an instant baaannnggg, and have to start over the whole thing.

User Info Menu

Not folklore at all. All companies that make pure nickel strings on round core, specify that the string must be bent at 90 degrees to set the core than tensioned before cutting. Using the method you shown essentially does that. Whatever works....

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    sorry but I have to laugh. That's just folklore. I have had the same set of thomstiks on my 175 for over a year and didn't do any of that. I put them on, locked them using this method

and stretched them out immediately.

Although my wife *WAS* playing african rhythms on her Djembe drum during and after...Hmmm....
    Last edited by skiboyny; 10-18-2019 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Pyramid round core nickel (Tele)and TI Bebops (archtop) which IIRC are also nickel. I prefer the warmth of nickel vs. stainless and I prefer round core to hex core.
    Talking to myself, here. So I wrote this a while back. Since then my tastes seem to have changed, Maybe as I have found myself switching from PAF style humbuckers to single coil or stacked humbuckers. I find the contrast between the plain strings and pure nickel wound strings to be a bit annoying as there's a tonal imbalance, at least on some of my guitars. The plain steel strings are just brighter. So I have found myself gravitating towards brighter wound strings because then the EQ affects all of them more or less equally. I've even had good results with stainless steel around ones, at least with single coil guitars (Biltoft HCC, Bill Lawrence L280TN which are concentric humbuckers). Mostly I have gone to using nickel plated rather than pure nickel strings. I do still prefer round cord to hex core, but the difference isn't night and day. I can't use flatwounds for a very long for the same reason; the tonal difference between the plain steel strings and the wound strings is just too great.