The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Which roundwound strings you like most and why ?
    Nickelplated steel or pure nickel ?

(for example...Daddario Ej21 or pure nickel Epn21 )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pure nickel has a warmer sound with fewer overtones, and higher tension at the same gauge.

I prefer nickel plated - more lively and dynamic feeling.

User Info Menu

Pure Nickel! I've been told that the overtones in pure nickel strings are slightly more in tune and so the overall sound is clearer. I have tuned pianos for many years, and the experience of my ears seems to verify it. I've also done audio recording for a long time and I don't like distortion. So a pure guitar sound is my preference. Curt Mangan Strings, because they seem to last the longest of any string, are my choice.

User Info Menu

nickel plated, D'addario

User Info Menu

La Bella Silk and Steel Gypsy Jazz Series GJM

User Info Menu

Pyramid round core nickel (Tele)and TI Bebops (archtop) which IIRC are also nickel. I prefer the warmth of nickel vs. stainless and I prefer round core to hex core.

User Info Menu

I've come to love the sound and feel of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings on my Les Paul. It stopped my GAS for the time being and I've come to enjoy the tone I get from my amp as well.

I know it's weird, but aren't we all?

User Info Menu

John Pearse - Jazz Light Pure Nickel Wound ( in the 11's they run heavier than most others: .011, .015, .022 wound, .030, .040, .050).

User Info Menu

TI Bebop 13

so..i can see that a lot of us likes pure nickel strings

I like them too...

a) thomastik pure nickel Bebob

b) fender pure nickel ( 0.11 is the heavier for fender)

c) d'addario Epn21

User Info Menu

I really like the John Pearse Archtop pure nickel strings. They last a long time, feel good under the fingers, and sound good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Pyramid round core nickel (Tele)and TI Bebops (archtop) which IIRC are also nickel. I prefer the warmth of nickel vs. stainless and I prefer round core to hex core.
    +1

User Info Menu

TI Jazz Bebop

User Info Menu

Epn's for me

User Info Menu

pure nickel seems to have some intonation problems from the various sets I've tried. The larger guages seem to have a problem with volume matching too.

User Info Menu

Agree on the intonation problems with some pure nickel strings, just put on a set and the 'A' string is way off...

User Info Menu

Nickel - TI Jazz Bebop 12's.
    I like them because they are smoother, more polished. They feel more elegant under my fingertips. And the 12's have a 50 low E. I have to go down to 11's with the Chromes to get a 50 Low E. I don't like an 11 high E.
    Also, I've been told, Since Nickel is softer than steel, the pure nickel is gentler on your frets. I like that.

I completely stopped using anything other than TI12's when I learned the Vinny string change method.
    Put on the strings, tune them to pitch. Let them stretch out over night, naturally. DO NOT CUT them until 24 hours later. They ring brighter for a longer period of time. Less thumpy.. 4 string changes using this method. So far, so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Nickel - TI Jazz Bebop 12's.
    I like them because they are smoother, more polished. They feel more elegant under my fingertips. And the 12's have a 50 low E. I have to go down to 11's with the Chromes to get a 50 Low E. I don't like an 11 high E.
    Also, I've been told, Since Nickel is softer than steel, the pure nickel is gentler on your frets. I like that.

I completely stopped using anything other than TI12's when I learned the Vinny string change method.
    Put on the strings, tune them to pitch. Let them stretch out over night, naturally. DO NOT CUT them until 24 hours later. They ring brighter for a longer period of time. Less thumpy.. 4 string changes using this method. So far, so good!
    who is Vinny ?
    Why is that : DO NOT CUT them until 24 hours later
    Last edited by jkstigma; 06-07-2015 at 05:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkstigma
    who is Vinny ?
    I've been wondering about that one myself (???)

I know the standard advice with round wounds on round cores is that you need to bend the string ends before cutting them; the bend prevents the winding from unraveling. But waiting 24 hours....would like to see a reference cited if possible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck

I know the standard advice with round wounds on round cores is that you need to bend the string ends before cutting them; the bend prevents the winding from unraveling. But waiting 24 hours....would like to see a reference cited if possible.

IMHO round core strings work best with split shaft tuners like on my Tele and GB10. Cut to length, insert down into the shaft and bend at a right angle. When you start winding the string is bent again resulting in 2 right angle bends which locks the string very effectively. Plus you get a very neat headstock without any sharp pokey string ends sticking out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck

sorry but I have to laugh. That's just folklore. I have had the same set of thomstiks on my 175 for over a year and didn't do any of that. I put them on, locked them using this method

and stretched them out immediately.

Although my wife *WAS* playing african rhythms on her Djembe drum during and after...Hmmm....

User Info Menu

Thanks Jack. That's almost precisely what I do (except for the Djembe ).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedSpoon
    Thanks Jack. That's almost precisely what I do (except for the Djembe ).
    my strings never stayed in tune or lasted beyond 6 months until sande started doing the djembe juju.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkstigma
    In fact, the true rule is :
    NEVER cut the string when the moon is rising ! NEVER
    If you do ....
    eh...
    .. if you do ...
    It will grow up in the night and you'll have to cut it once more

More seriously :
    when you cut the string, when ever you do it, beware to cut it on the right side of the post, otherwise, it won't stay in tune for long !!!!

User Info Menu

don't forget that you need to file and cauterize the ends of the strings after cutting.