The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Gibson L-5 (1934 historic)-gibson_l5_6351eb_1101_p-jpg
    So I recently got a GB200 direct from Japan and while I was on my search I found one of these at Dolphin guitars. Price was really good due to weak yen.
    Just paid 50% deposit and trying to get the funds together quickly to pay for the rest. Can't wait!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yum!

User Info Menu

Man! That's awesome!

User Info Menu

not sure yet if I'll get a floater for this or not. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Suggestions? Play your GB200 plugged in and leave the '34 RI L-5 alone! I'm serious. The Zen of that guitar is to remain acoustic.

(former owner of an '08 model and now an original '28)

User Info Menu

Yeah I think I'll do that rp. I did watch your demos of your 08 model on youtube, sounded great! Can you suggest a good brand and type of strings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Play your GB200 plugged in and leave the '34 RI L-5 alone! I'm serious.
    Amen!

Couldn't have put it ANY better! Gibson L-5 (1934 historic)

User Info Menu

Deeply jealous! What a beautiful guitar. Yes, leave it as it has lived these last 81 years. Buy a copy of Masters Of The Plectrum Guitar (Mel Bay) and get to work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Deeply jealous! What a beautiful guitar. Yes, leave it as it has lived these last 81 years. Buy a copy of Masters Of The Plectrum Guitar (Mel Bay) and get to work
    1998 Re-issh. Not quite 81 years old. +1 on Masters of the Plectrum Guitar. That's on my wish list.

User Info Menu

It looks awesome!
    Looking forward to the pics :-)

User Info Menu

Ah, never noticed it was a reissue. But my jealousy, however, remains!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Aarrgghh! My envy remains!

Forget all that. Have fun with both your new guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steves3972
    Can you suggest a good brand and type of strings?
    Sure, I use fairly pedestrian 80/20 bronze strings in 12-53 gauge. Either D'Addario, John Pearse, or La Bella Criterion are fairly interchangeable to me. You can also experiment with phosphor bronze to see which you prefer. I find that archtops are a bit more happy with 80/20 because it results in a clearer tone, generally speaking.

Glad you saw the demo video... it was a nice guitar. Yours is already 17 years old, which is pretty cool, I'll bet it wakes up and sounds great. They do need some play time to loosen up - even the very old ones.

User Info Menu

Steve,
    I always say this, sometimes to my regret but I say it again anyway.
    Sometimes you want/need an acoustic archtop to be amplified. I absolutely LOVE the KK Sound Definity Pickup that I have on my L7c.
    It simply amplifies the acoustic sound of the guitar. Through an acoustic amp it sounds amazing. Its a lot easier than hanging mics around you. NO Quacky piezo sound. Its easy to install and I think it sounds great. The only problem I've ever had (one Time only) was during a session I plugged into the KK sound pre-amp and I heard a Canadian radio station through my headphones. I think it was interference with some other electronic devices in the studio and the engineer did something and the interference went away completely. The KK Definity system has served me well with my L7c..
    I absolutely LOVE the guitar you just bought. I personally would not put a floater on it but if you did, pick one that is microphonic to some extent, because that will pick up the depth of sound that the Guitar has, which I am sure is amazing!!!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Just a thought - if you can't stand not having an amplification option, try a DeArmond Guitar Mike (the "cheap" model). They have significant advantages over many other units:

1) They go on and off as needed, so you can preserve the look and simplicity of your acoustic guitar
    2) They have their own input jack, so you don't need to install one
    3) They are already balanced for bronze strings, so you don't need to obsess over changing to nickel
    4) They are meant to be fitted flush with your pickguard; no notch is required
    5) They are period correct for what a player would have installed on a 30s/40s style archtop

And they sound great! They are not acoustic sounding, though... that's an elusive, even impossible task (some disagree, but I feel this way).

User Info Menu

I owned the precise guitar Gibson modeled the 34RI on back in the 1990s (it is pictured in the Van Hoose super 400 book, and also referenced by serial number in the L5 book). It was a sweet guitar sounding guitar, more delicate sounding than a '36 L7 I had at the time, but it did not have the L7's low end.

I have never seen one of the RIs, but have heard from folks who have that they don't sound as good as the originals; in those days (and probably now) the Gibson RI process focused on the cosmetics.

User Info Menu

I own an original and I agree - but don't 't want to spoil the fun. There are definitely some design elements that are the reason for this; I think Gibson began its journey into cost-cutting even as early as shortly after Lloyd Loar's departure.

User Info Menu

Gibson L-5 (1934 historic)-gibson_l5_6351eb_1101_p-jpg
    So I recently got a GB200 direct from Japan and while I was on my search I found one of these at Dolphin guitars. Price was really good due to weak yen.
    Just paid 50% deposit and trying to get the funds together quickly to pay for the rest. Can't wait!

Congrats !! I think you're going to like it !!

When I decided to pull the trigger on the one I bought, for me it was still a ' no-brainer ', even if it didn't sound decent. The once I got it and set it up, both then and now - it looks and sounds a whole lot better than decent !

Now I'm looking for the next RI or '90's era model they built I never heard about.

' Wear it in good health ! '

looks great!

User Info Menu

Here's another one in japan that is way overpriced. I have noticed a lot of sellers from Japan listing stuff on ebay for very high prices and if you go to their website it's often 30% cheaper.
    For example, there's a Tal Farlow in viceroy brown on ebay for $4700+ but go to their website and you'll get in for 3k!!

Free Shipping Gibson Historic Collection 1934 L 5 1993 RARE w Hard Case | eBay

User Info Menu

If I'd had ever seen a RI in that shading before I'd already own one!
    I've not seen that shading on a RI anywhere. Gorgeous!

User Info Menu

Here's another one in japan that is way overpriced. I have noticed a lot of sellers from Japan listing stuff on ebay for very high prices and if you go to their website it's often 30% cheaper.
    For example, there's a Tal Farlow in viceroy brown on ebay for $4700+ but go to their website and you'll get in for 3k!!

Free Shipping Gibson Historic Collection 1934 L 5 1993 RARE w Hard Case | eBay
    The actual axe posted for sale here, USD3713.70: GIBSON[????] Historic Collection 1934 L-5 ???? | MIKIGAKKI.COM ???????????????? .

These are private ebay sellers who buy from the Japanese shops and hope to resell them to a "babe in the woods" with a nice markup. They don't have the axe in their possession; if someone were naive enough to buy it from them on ebay, then they go to the shops, buy the axe and ship it to you. All legitimate, of course.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 05-30-2015 at 12:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Seems I recall RP selling his for $3800. What a steal that was. Around the same time was another with slight cosmetic damage that was available for weeks at around $3k!

User Info Menu

oh I see now, thanks for that info Jabberwocky