The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 238

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    @coolvinny: Did you find your Mambo 8 Wedge in Canada? Also, I know it's apples and oranges, buthow does it compare to your SeQuel, other than size?
    I was one of the first Mambo customers, over 3 years ago I think, so I just ordered it directly from the UK. I recently did the same thing for a Mambo 300w head.

Yes, it is apples and oranges comparing it to a 12" open back Sequel Ravine. For me personally, I think SS fits me better. I like tubes, but it just seems I get along with SS better, and I also seem to get along with smaller speakers better. So I sold my Ravine about 2 months ago. If I need a bigger sound, I have a few RE cabinets.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you want the smallest amp that can still hang with a hard hitting drummer with no problem and still sounds good, Quilter Micropro 200 is the only thing I know that can fill all those bills. 19lbs.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the Henriksen Bud but use a Henriksen 112ER and would recommend checking it out as it sounds perfect for your purposes. It's 17 lbs., 9" square, 120 watts with a 6.5" speaker. It sounds okay in the video demos. I like the 112ER and the Henriksen EQ. I've used the 112ER with archtops with floating pickups, P-90s, humbuckers and all sound good with it.

User Info Menu

I have a ZT Lunchbox that I love. I use it for keys and bass as well as guitar. They are great little amps and can take anything you can throw at them.

User Info Menu

I have a Mambo 10 wedge you can hear one here being used by the Dutchbopper.

User Info Menu

Returning to guitar after a LONG time away. I am currently playing an ES-175D and right now don't even own an amp.

From this relatively narrow list of requirements, I am looking for amp suggestions. And ultimately I am looking for an 'amp' that I could carry into another room on rare occasions and not have to cart around multiple boxes with lots of cables (as in more than a line cord and guitar cord). BTW, the bulk of my guitar playing was on a classical guitar, so I don't have strong expectations regarding various tones.

1) $400 or less

2) To be played strictly in a small bedroom and 'just for myself'

3) Fingerstyle, somewhat jazz'ish stuff, intended to be performed solo stuff (not advanced) with 'a warm jazz sound' being priority #1

4) Have decided that I want a modeling amp just so I can play around with other sounds simply to satisfy my own curiosity. Would prefer a PC/Windows or Android interface to the modeling stuff.

5) Space is at a premium and 13 to 14 inches high and 16 inches wide is my limit in that regard

6) Will pretty much always be played relatively quietly (the volume that you might set a television for normal viewing).

Just looking for suggestions - thanks. For example the Line6 Amplifi 30 is an interesting alternative, but I'm not sure what to think of 2.5 inch speakers (even if there are four of them).

dave

User Info Menu

I like my Fender Superchamp. I also play a 175

User Info Menu

Those are all great choices. I would also add a ZT Lunchbox Jr. to the list. There is no modeling but it sounds really nice. I just picked one up used for $100. It can even power a pedal, which is nice since it does not have built in reverb.

User Info Menu

DV Mark Little Jazz. Not a modeling amp - Cube would be great for that, but honestly - you don't need all that crap!

User Info Menu

Fender Mustang Series will do everything you want at your price, and also has line in, headphone out and USB out for digital recording.

The Mustang I, at $100 or so, is about the price of a digital guitar interface alone and sounds great with my 175.

The Mustang III has the same benefits with 100 watts of power and a nice Celestion 12" speaker.

User Info Menu

Tech 21 Flyrig? I haven't heard it but I've heard great things. Kind of modeling. You'll still need speakers? But it's only $250.

User Info Menu

I'll second the Fender SCXD.

I have a Fishman Artist and I think the Mini would be good for your purposes as well.

Just gonna throw this out there--a great small tube amp is the Epiphone Valve Jr. combo. GREAT warm jazz tone, very loud in a small package. And best of all--just one knob! So no need to fiddle to get a great sound. Can find for $100 or less used. Also a great platform for modding if you're into that.

User Info Menu

Yamaha THR10C also has modeling and Windows/Mac interface. It is stereo and has a very interesting ported cab with impressive bass response (for its size)

User Info Menu

Spend a bit more and get a used Quilter Aviator 1x8" or larger. You won't lose money, and it will work for all of your guitar needs!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback. Even though some suggestions don't match well some of the stated requirements, the discussion is still useful to me.

For clarification some additional info.

I am really cramped where I practice/play (small bedroom that functions as a guest bedroom, my office/den, has my exercise bike, and now my guitar and amp). So space is a premium.

If I set things up as I plan, the amp would sit in a large bookcase on the bottom shelf and would be maybe 6 feet to my left so just out of reach and 'messing around with it' will not be convenient. I would probably squeeze out 15 inches of vertical space (height) on the shelf so an amp with top mounted controls is a problem (as is the fact that I can't reach it easily). I could drag it out each time, but would prefer not to do that (not impossible of course). Hence the interest in either a Windows based or Android based GUI interface. The Roland Cube would be high on the list except, as I understand things, it has only a iOS external interface.

The desire for a modeling amp is pretty much just so I can play around with a bunch of stuff. I also want a toy

Some kind of Windows based amp simulator and a couple of (or just one) monitor speakers has always been on the list, and brings some additional recording potential that may or may not come with an amp solution. OTOH, some of the modeling amps will serve as a DAW DI, so .... But right now I am leaning heavily toward a single box that I would probably, but hardly often, carry somewhere. I am not interested in optimizing the performance of such a thing outside of 'my room', just the convenience of getting such a thing out of my room. I am really looking for 'the best sound' in that cramped bedroom (12x12 feet). So 12 inch speakers makes no sense from a number of perspectives here. I'm not sure how small is 'too small', however.

Thanks again.

dave

User Info Menu

Fender Mustang I

User Info Menu

Yamaha THR range, for sure.

User Info Menu

The Line 6 Amplifi 30 looks like it meets your requirements. $300 if you already own an iPad or an Android tablet.

User Info Menu

Yamaha THR10. I prefer the THR10 to the THR10C because the Clean channel has more of a Twin Reverb flavour compared to the Deluxe Reverb of the THR10C.

Given your space and budget constraints, you cannot go wrong with either of the THRs. They sound a lot bigger than they look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Yamaha THR10. I prefer the THR10 to the THR10C because the Clean channel has more of a Twin Reverb flavour compared to the Deluxe Reverb of the THR10C.

Given your space and budget constraints, you cannot go wrong with either of the THRs. They sound a lot bigger than they look.
    +1

The "Aco" setting offers a wide range of very usable jazz tones as well. Originally intended for dialling out the tonal artificial-ness of a piezo pickup, it changes the voicing if the amp quite dramatically. I even prefer it over the Clean channel.

User Info Menu

FWIW, the Line 6 Amplifi 30 would appear to be the best match to my stated requirements (I already own a Android Tablet which would handle the interface). I am just not sure what to think about 2.5 inch (four of them) speakers (or even two 3.5 inch speaker per the Yamaha THR10 models which are also a good match). While 12 inch speakers for my application are hardly necessary (and quite possibly counter productive from a sound quality perspective), 2.5 to 3.5 inches is really small (but my requirements and room are really small).

The Amplifi 75 is a stretch but I could make it work if there was a reason to do that. I'm not sure that there is (but not sure that there is not).

Thanks again.

dave

User Info Menu

What about a Peavey - -Viper, or ?

Modeling, solid state, and quiet as a churchmouse......

User Info Menu

I just remembered the Super Champ X2, no tablet interface but lots of sounds in there.

User Info Menu

As far as Line 6 Amplifi vs Yamaha THR the Yamaha corporation bought Line 6 two years ago and I wonder if there are many differences left.

User Info Menu

Yamaha THR for sure.